Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

Oh yeah, how much I love the "critics" from the German Schlaumeiers :sweet:...

On 12/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, Kumbbl said:

Rarely seen a more out of place, more arrogant posting. Seems like someone's success has gone to their head...

The last paragraph in particular speaks volumes about your mindset... very disconcerting

Sorry for the strong words...

Guess I can afford to have an opinion like a real man :wink:. And I never will say something like "sorry for the strong words". Don't give a damn about modern PC. 

On 2/5/2024 at 12:38 PM, R0Sch said:

@brunojj1 Please don't start another brand war discussion here on the forum. We don't care about the petty brand rivalry and everyone knows which side you are on by now. Spreading rumors and hate for the other brand is not going to bring more people to CaDA, but might have the opposite effect.

The words "war" and "hate" come out of your mouth actually. I see it from my own perspective. Btw. the effect of a controversy is bringing more people to think about facts and make up their own mind. 

On 2/5/2024 at 1:32 PM, Milan said:

Exactly why this needs to stop.

@brunojj1
This is the last warning before banning your account.
Stop spreading rumors, accusations and your own brand wars.
I am done resolving all the reports and PMs regarding your behavior.
You have been given far too many chances to improve, and this continuous drama will end one way or another.

To others who have been reporting this thread, thanks for sending reports, and not engaging and arguing :thumbup:

Wow, what a drama you are creating again! I can't see what I've done wrong again, didn't insult anybody, haven't broken any forum rules. I was keeping calm and reasonable, just contributing to the discussion. 

Why you mad? So you were just waiting for more reports from the triggered snowflakes in order to shut me down? Just go ahead! I'm done with this kindergarden here anyway. Almost nobody of the veterans from the good old days is waisting his time here anymore for a reason. Neither will I do any longer, having better things to do.

Enjoy yourself everybody and bye bye :pir-thumb:!

@brunojj1: Without wanting to add fuel to the fire here, I have to make one final comment (from a german "Schlaumeier"): You're almost a reason not to buy anything from CADA anymore, as much as I like some of the models... 

Your dramatically underlined withdrawal is really no great loss for mankind and for the Lego world ... it seems as if your - admittedly outstanding - lego design skills have left some other competencies atrophied - jm2c

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

So you were just waiting for more reports from the triggered snowflakes in order to shut me down? Just go ahead! I'm done with this kindergarden here anyway.

On a personal note, I wish you all the best in your future design endeavors.

---

Guys, thanks again for trying and keeping this topic (and the rest of the forum) a friendly place.
We will do our best to keep the Cada topic online, and to even include more in the very near future.

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

Guys, thanks again for trying and keeping this topic (and the rest of the forum) a friendly place.

I wanted to say a lot of things, but found it unprofessional to indulge in such endeavours.

4 minutes ago, Milan said:

On a personal note, I wish you all the best in your future design endeavors.

---

We will do our best to keep the Cada topic online, and to even include more in the very near future.

I for one am glad. Without this thread I would still be unaware of CaDA. The set I bought, the military crane was such that I will certainly buy more of their products in the future and have also bought some of the parts they produce that LEGO doesn't make.

Well that did escalate fast, I don't even understand what happened, what was wrong about what Bruno said this time? (I understood the previous one and agreed that that was too much). Or were there posts that were removed?

58 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Well that did escalate fast, I don't even understand what happened, what was wrong about what Bruno said this time? (I understood the previous one and agreed that that was too much). Or were there posts that were removed?

Now it doesn't matter anymore. It has been finished. Lack of humility is never good. Good opinions about CADA should come from users who built their good sets, and not forced on others by arrogant discussions.

5 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

German Schlaumeiers

like a real man

Don't give a damn about modern PC

It always depends, what you gauge as offensive. PC important or not? Men (which implies not women), important or not? Germans, important or not? 

What I don't get (at all): Why is this necessary to even typed into the editor? Is there a demand? Every paragraph would be fine without doing so. Opinions are fine. Putting emojis next to such a phrase may not be enough to pipe down, well, emotions.

Most importantly, though: We are discussing the merit of buying (some call "getting" or "brought to us" ^^) sets from a Chinese company in this thread. This entire forum tends to go ballistic, when doing so. And there are good reasons why CaDA is here and others are not. But you know what? There may be other Chinese companies acting in the same manner as CaDA. And of course others that >certainly< do not.

What I don't get: Why does it need acting like a "real man" (and thus not woman) to ... what, have an opinion? Or be "tough"? "Ballsy"? Crap.

My goodness. This all is about totally stupid ABS pieces put together in a certain way. And inventing new pieces of ABS (*sigh* - "new") to eventually put an assembled super car (or whatever CaDA makes) into a cabinet and then admire it. Yes, I know, the cracks here do make even superior MOCs.

ABS. Hobby. Fun. Building. Inventing.

All that "License" crap goes really so much on my nerves. Maybe necessary, who knows - I doubt it, but what do I know. 

Edited by Toastie

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Why does it need acting like a "real man" (and thus not woman)

You know that it's just a phrase ? :D "Grow some eggs" just souds weirder

About the licence stuff, i don't rly know why licences are such an important thing..Technic or Lego/bricks work just fine without, but need more creativity as you have to come up with something on your own.

42 minutes ago, Ryokeen said:

About the licence stuff, i don't rly know why licences are such an important thing..Technic or Lego/bricks work just fine without, but need more creativity as you have to come up with something on your own.

As I see it, a company getting licenses shows a commitment to quality and appealing to a wider audience, and a big company having time to license to a smaller one speaks volumes of their quality, to me. When CADA eventually gets big enough that you see their stuff in store shelves, licenses sell way better than unlicensed things. The technic line is living proof of this. Lego wouldnt pay all that money for licenses if it didn't pay itself back... right?

45 minutes ago, Ryokeen said:

You know that it's just a phrase ? :D "Grow some eggs" just souds weirder

I can confirm this is the first time hearing this, and it does sound weirder. Also not actually possible to do, unlike (I think) the other phrase.

1 hour ago, Aurorasaurus said:

As I see it, a company getting licenses shows a commitment to quality and appealing to a wider audience, and a big company having time to license to a smaller one speaks volumes of their quality, to me. When CADA eventually gets big enough that you see their stuff in store shelves, licenses sell way better than unlicensed things. The technic line is living proof of this. Lego wouldnt pay all that money for licenses if it didn't pay itself back... right?

And i just think, what good does a license does if it only costs money, is used as the biggest advertisment factor(cause none other :D ) and doesn't guarantee building quality or overall quality (think of the Hulkbuster...)

I have the sad feeling that licenses show the current lego focussed(not in a bad mouth way, it's just we all grew up with that brand ;) ) that there are other serious competitors, as i somehow doubt that brands with a history of moc stealing or set copying will get proper licenses. So that on the other hand is a good thing.
Thing about licenses is, if your marked is big enought, you get licenses a lot easier, after all the company (Lego, Cada, whoeverbricks) pays the license holder to be allowed to advertise them. All in hope to get more sales because of a selling point that in itself has nothing to do with a brick building toy(my opinion). But it sure is, for some, a selling point, i just don't get it :D

Buuut what i wanted to say is, licenses are not needed for a good set, not does a license guarantees a good set.

The "Grow some eggs" is just plain translated from german :D Proper phrase would be "grow some balls" where one could arguee that it does not refer only to males but females aswell, i mean ovaries are some sort of..balls :D

Ahh, bless the silence :tongue: Can anybody comment on the plastic quality of CaDA nowadays? Has it significantly improved since the Centenario?

16 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Can anybody comment on the plastic quality of CaDA nowadays? Has it significantly improved since the Centenario?

Do you mean besides all those posts in the previous few pages that tell their experiences with some of the latest models (crane truck, formula one car)? Have you read those? :tongue: Like this one:

On 1/26/2024 at 12:32 AM, Lego Tom said:

Another thing I noticed almost immediately is the plastic used is not soft like LEGO plastic but very "old school" hard.

But in general I gather that there's quite a bit of improvement..

14 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Do you mean besides all those posts in the previous few pages that tell their experiences with some of the latest models (crane truck, formula one car)? Have you read those? :tongue: Like this one:

But in general I gather that there's quite a bit of improvement..

Apologies, I should have been more specific. I was asking in terms of brittleness

Edited by Bartybum

I do also wonder about that. I am not gonna lie, I am tempted to try CaDa's theme. What is making me cautious is that I do have a few (hehe) Lego themes that I am collecting in full (Speed Champions, Modulars, 1:8 cars, Star Wars helmets) and getting another "theme" from non-Lego brand is hard to choose. F1 seems to be a great thing but it is huge. However I do see a potential there as Lego lacks a lot, but I tend to try to mix both worlds (mostly pollute Lego with CaDa's parts like tires) however I am still on the verge. I have tons of Lego pins so CaDa may not deliver them at all (if in the same colours) but what I am "worried" is that CaDa will not be so future proof. Lego is softer, thus bending easier but after years on the shelves it does not break. Will CaDa be the same? Nobody knows yet, I believe. But if someone do, let me know! :) Competitions is always welcomed.

1 hour ago, blondasek said:

I do also wonder about that. I am not gonna lie, I am tempted to try CaDa's theme. What is making me cautious is that I do have a few (hehe) Lego themes that I am collecting in full (Speed Champions, Modulars, 1:8 cars, Star Wars helmets) and getting another "theme" from non-Lego brand is hard to choose. F1 seems to be a great thing but it is huge. However I do see a potential there as Lego lacks a lot, but I tend to try to mix both worlds (mostly pollute Lego with CaDa's parts like tires) however I am still on the verge. I have tons of Lego pins so CaDa may not deliver them at all (if in the same colours) but what I am "worried" is that CaDa will not be so future proof. Lego is softer, thus bending easier but after years on the shelves it does not break. Will CaDa be the same? Nobody knows yet, I believe. But if someone do, let me know! :) Competitions is always welcomed.

Lego is proven to last for decades. But if I'm not mistaken and I can also see this in newer Lego sets, they started to use different kind of plastic, some plant based? And now I'm not so sure if this new kind of plastic is as durable as the old one. And in case of Cada? Who knows, company is rather young (started at 2016), so there is no valid data about its durability.

There is always a risk that parts break if sets are kept on the shelf for years. The stress on bushes and axle holes in particular is pretty high. Plastik discolors and becomes brittle (even if it was softer at the beginning), rubber stretches, hardens out and discolors too (older LEGO tires even became oily and sticky) and stickers peel off, especially on curved surfaces. What I learned after collecting Technic and many other themes for over 13 years is that there is limited lifetime for everything. The best thing to prolong this lifetime is to keep sets disassembled and away from light, moisture and heat.

Fun fact, did you know that LEGO now has a "best built before" date written on their sets? And what's sure is that switching to plant based materials and sustainable packaging will not increase this shelf life. So I would be more careful to say that current LEGO or even bricks from other brands are proven to last for decades.
https://bricknerd.com/home/lego-expiration-dates-revealed-4-1-22

24 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Lego is proven to last for decades. But if I'm not mistaken and I can also see this in newer Lego sets, they started to use different kind of plastic, some plant based? And now I'm not so sure if this new kind of plastic is as durable as the old one.

Well, what they produce from "plant based" pieces, according to the LEGO websites, is all that stuff, that was and is made using polyethylene; plant pieces, minifig accessories; that is all the soft stuff, that does not do any tough work. There is no difference at all in the final PE product: PE is made from polymerized ethylene, ethylene is made from dehydration of ethanol, and ethanol can be made from many, many bio-sources containing sugar, just go to a liquor store; rum (sugar cane, as the LEGO stuff is as well ;) vodka (serial grains, potatoes, also corn, sugar cane ...) and so on and so forth - all you need is the ethanol ... The "bio" or "sustainable" in this route is the CO2 that the plants consumed when they grew, nothing else. The final plastic product is exactly the same as before and non-biodegradable. Not always the best idea, as you can eat all these bio sources as well. And drink the ethanol, of course .

I bet that everything else that needs to be structurally tough, such as Technic beams and what not, is and will be for long made using ABS. Should the look and feel of such parts change, they changed the recipe to make the ABS, but it remains ABS. Bio-sources for acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene are currently not available in sizeable amounts, as far as I know - so I guess the new soft feel is purposely made, maybe to make it feel better.

Best,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

Fun fact, did you know that LEGO now has a "best built before" date written on their sets? And what's sure is that switching to plant based materials and sustainable packaging will not increase this shelf life. So I would be more careful to say that current LEGO or even bricks from other brands are proven to last for decades.

That is bit hilarious. I wonder how much of the decision to include that info is being driven by lawyers who are attempting to avoid lawsuits from people expecting the bricks to last long enough for their great-great grandchildren to play with? People are developing the attitude that anything they buy should last forever and there are class action suits that bear this thought process out.

Excuse me while I go get a mirror to see if I have a "best used date" hidden somewhere on my person. :distressed:

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

There is always a risk that parts break if sets are kept on the shelf for years. The stress on bushes and axle holes in particular is pretty high. Plastik discolors and becomes brittle (even if it was softer at the beginning), rubber stretches, hardens out and discolors too (older LEGO tires even became oily and sticky) and stickers peel off, especially on curved surfaces. What I learned after collecting Technic and many other themes for over 13 years is that there is limited lifetime for everything. The best thing to prolong this lifetime is to keep sets disassembled and away from light, moisture and heat.

That's an April Fools post.

17 minutes ago, icm said:

That's an April Fools post.

You had to spoil the fun, didn't you? :)

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Apologies, I should have been more specific. I was asking in terms of brittleness

I got one set at xmas and i can't tell the difference between cada and tlg. The parts haven't survived many years and countless mocs, so time will tell, but at the moment they're indistinguishable.. 

11 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

but at the moment they're indistinguishable

I am not surprised. ABS is ABS and such a well-known and described plastic material; in China they make so many different products from ABS ...

And brick-wise it is all a matter of molding machine precision and maintenance - and guess what: They can do that as well.

The latest GoBricks elements: Same thing - 100% not distinguishable, I stopped sorting them into different bins. Wait - there is a clear difference: No LEGO "print" on the studs or elsewhere ...

Best regards,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

I am not surprised. ABS is ABS and such a well-known and described plastic material; in China they make so many different products from ABS ...

And brick-wise it is all a matter of molding machine precision and maintenance - and guess what: They can do that as well.

The latest GoBricks elements: Same thing - 100% not distinguishable, I stopped sorting them into different bins. Wait - there is a clear difference: No LEGO "print" on the studs or elsewhere ...

Best regards,
Thorsten

Except (Technic) parts are not just made of ABS and it's not true that ABS is one "well-known" material composition used everywhere. You can vary the amount of additives (UV-stabilizer, flame retardant = e.g. the chemical that causes yellowing on the bricks)  and use different amounts of recyclate. Also, ABS can be anything between 15% to 35% acrylonitrile, 5% to 30% butadiene and 40% to 60% styrene. So unless LEGO and Chinese brands use exactly the same pellet-supplier it will not be the same material. Even heating it to a different temperature and using different pressure will result in different mechanical characteristics of product.
https://www.lego.com/ms-my/sustainability/product-safety/materials