Clone OPatra

Super Mario 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

Not going to lie, but I thought it would end up being more than just bowser. (kinda like how peach's castle was just a part of the question block)

That being said, he looks super awesome with alot of cool features. Definitely very happy with how this turned out! I presume this set will also feature a secret like the last 2 did, guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, BrickG said:

Bowser

Was not really sold on the Super Mario sets, but this might be the first one I get. This is a cool freaking build, definitely will have it under my radar once it becomes available here.

Alright, I haven't been a fan of how this theme is set up normally (no minifigures, the weird digi mario, etc), but the D2Cs have been home run after home run. This Bowser doesn't even look like it's made of lego at first. 

Two minor criticisms I have, though:

for $230, I really think they should have cut the base, or at the very least those side pillars. It feels a little overpriced, and those side pillars look like they're from a 4+ set compared to how good the rest of the set is.

I kind of wish it was Giga Bowser from Melee. I know he becomes huge in most games, but that's where my mind goes whenever I hear "giant bowser". Giga Bowser also looks more intimidating, but still enough like Bowser that people wouldn't have trouble realizing who it was. And selfishly, the Smash Bros series are my favorite games, and really the only mario stuff I'm a big fan of. (though given how popular the series is, it probably would be a good financial move. A Battlefield or Final Destination set with the OG 8, a buildible master hand, etc could easily be a best seller, and I'd gobble up every expansion they made. Ah, now I want to think how a wave would go).

Smash bros wave idea, in spoiler for space. (And yes, I'm sure there's some massive rights issues with doing all this):

Spoiler

Super Smash Brothers: Battlefield ($99.99): Battlefield build (A main platform elevated over a base, with the three small platforms attached with clear technic beams), and a buildable Master Hand. Comes with Mario, Donkey Kong (bigfig), Link, Samus, Yoshi (brick-built), Kirby (brick-built), Fox, and Pikachu (brick-built).

Giga Bowser ($79.99): Giga Bowser figure with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy, as well as a brick-built normal bowser.

Ganon ($79.99): Giant Ganon figure with Link, Zelda, Shiek, Young Link, and Ganondorf.

Kongo Jungle ($59.99): DK jungle 64 map with Donkey Kong (bigfig), Diddy Kong, King K rool (brick-built), Lucas, and Pit.

Final Destination ($49.99): final destination build (just the main platform elevated over a base) with Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff (brick-built), Marth, and Falco.

Green Greens ($39.99): Small Green Greens stage with Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede (all brick-built), as well as Roy and Mewtwo.

Versus Ridley ($29.99): Ridley figure and two platforms from the Norfair stage. Comes with Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Dark Samus.

Challenger Packs ($4.99): Packs of minifigures or brick-built characters in blind bags. Includes: Piranha plant (brick-built), Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra, Kazuya, and Sora. (no joker since his game is M-rated)

Quite a weird pricing going on around Europe for this set

Checked the various LEGO.com Euro currency countries: 
€230 in Netherlands , Luxembourg, Portugal, Estonia
€240 in Finland, Slovenia, Slovakia
€270 in Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Austria, Greece, Spain, Latvia, Lithuania

Edited by TeriXeri

Honestly really impressed with this. While the Mario sets aren't really my thing, glad to see how well it came out, and the build almost doesn't look LEGO with how smooth they have made it. 

As they said in the designer video, if make it big in LEGO, you can make things look accurate. But that sometimes feels like a bit of a cheat with LEGO, and smaller is more elegant and delights (me) more with it's ingenuity. However, this does look really good. It took a while, but I finally got the ? block and NES, plus a couple of courses, with the idea of creating a nice composite scene of them. Might have to add this to the mix. I had considered getting the Bower's Castle set, and glad that I didn't now.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, TeriXeri said:

€270 in Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Austria, Greece, Spain, Latvia, Lithuania

Maybe some of those were old prices. Lego.nl lists the set for 270€.

I realy like this set. From the first sight it looks like no flaws + bonus mechanics/features, maybe I rise the bar very high, but the set itself without the pricing looks like a 11/10. :X Therefore a price slightly over 200€ would be something I would accept instantly., because the pure PPP would not reflect that. But 270€ is too much... I will wait for >20% discount after release and place one on my desk :) [except some miracle happens and the technic crane arives :X]

Edited by Gimmick

46 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

Maybe some of those where old prices. Lego.nl lists the set for 270€.

NL indeed went to €270, some country still show the lower prices, but I assume it'll probably gets adjusted before it can be bought.

Here's an archived page from 7 july with the old price : 

https://web.archive.org/web/20220707223814/https://www.lego.com/nl-nl/product/the-mighty-bowser-71411

Edited by TeriXeri

Can't help but be a little curious about how well you could modify the giant Bowser into another variant of him, like Dry Bowser from New Super Mario Bros. or Meowser from Super Mario 3D World. Since he's not very dependent on printed pieces, the main challenge would be to do color and shape changes while preserving the functionality.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, TeriXeri said:

Wasn't the last big price increase about "equalizing" prices across Europe?

TLG is clearly full of it.

So do we know what the ‘Starter Pipe: Peach’s Castle’ actually does? I ran through the description but all it says is that it’s the starter pipe for Peach’s Castle. 

10 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So do we know what the ‘Starter Pipe: Peach’s Castle’ actually does? I ran through the description but all it says is that it’s the starter pipe for Peach’s Castle. 

Huh, I don't know! One possibly easy guess is that it changes the music (possibly to the iconic castle music from Super Mario 64), but it probably has other gameplay effects as well.

As a side note, I kind of wish some of these unique pipe types introduced new pipe colors. Green and yellow are good and all (plus the black used for the cannon in last year's Airship set), but it'd be cool to get red and blue pipes as well.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, Portal Out said:

Haha no way we just got an Atari minifigure before we got a Mario minifigure.

Fair is fair, Atari was there first. Super Mario came later. They do it all chronically. 

Edited by Borex

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a way to ascertain which one is which with the new blind box figures. I really don’t want to have to buy a million duplicates 

Just bought one single row from a new box. I got all the characters complete now. No doubles. They’re a bit pricier of course but also a bit more fun to build (especially if you do it with your kids)

Finally found a box and grabbed the left side. Complete set. But I noticed after watching ashnflashs unboxing they were in a different order. My order was toad, hammer bro, toady, red yoshi, nabbit, waddle wing, yellow yoshi, blue shy guy. That means you can't go off other peoples order.  

I took the right row. Couldn’t check out if i had the same order like an earlier photo with names on it (maybe token from ashnflash’s unboxing vid) because we dropped the boxes :-s

I bought my first ever Mario set last week, Toad's Treasure Hunt, because it was $12 (Australian RRP was $100). And I've got to say, as just a Mario fan, I really like the aesthetic in person! 

Yeah you wouldn't want a display of full sets from this theme, but certain individual builds and characters look quite cute and a good balance of being immediately recognisable and LEGO-ised.

I know I'm quite late to this party, but it still seems like a lot of people in the adult community keep writing off LEGO Super Mario because it doesn't have minifigures, whereas for me, besides for the electronic figures themselves looking a bit too weird, the rest has some great things going on.

Actually i really like the super mario sets. They are very different than the usual lego style. I mean i love minifigs, but i also love this style. Too bad i don’t see a lot of MOCs  with nice super mario dioramas, i wish some good builders did that. 
anyway, Magikoopa looks like one of the dullest of the new bunch, but when build it’s one of my new faves.