Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 minute ago, Falconfan1414 said:

As far as I’m aware the plane set is still coming 

Good, I guess.

3 minutes ago, strangely said:

I mean, I can't say I'm totally surprised. Even without the racism you still have the child abuse/slavery/torture. This probably should have been 18+ set to begin with.

I mean, this movie was part of the reason the PG-13 rating came into existence. It was pretty controversial even then.

The phantom menace features a child slave, and people are tortured in SW, Harry Potter, etc.

I mean look realistically you can cancel all 4 of the sets:

ToD: religion reference, racism I guess

TLC plane: Nazi vehicle, includes a Nazi

Raiders ark set: ark is a religious icon

Raiders 18+ set: If the ToD cultists are racist, then the Raiders islanders probably are too.

6 minutes ago, strangely said:

I mean, I can't say I'm totally surprised. Even without the racism you still have the child abuse/slavery/torture. This probably should have been 18+ set to begin with.

It was OK in 2009 though…

Brickclicker confirmed to me in a DM that the Temple of Doom is CANCELLED! Just unfudging believable. This is just beyond pathetic from lego and Disney. 

3 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

Instagram, the cornucopia of Lego leaks.

@Legofan2001 Ah well, it is what it is. Was a reason for the cancellation cited?

I asked haven’t heard back yet.

That is very disappointing. Especially since there's now a Skull and Doom shaped hole in the new wave. 

15 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Brickclicker confirmed to me in a DM that the Temple of Doom is CANCELLED! Just unfudging believable. This is just beyond pathetic from lego and Disney. 

Well that's not really surprising. When cancellation rumours start appearing it's usually already too late.

And honestly, I get it. When I saw the leaks I already feared it might cause controversy. What I just don't get is how it could make it this far into production. I mean basically the entire original theme makes it on those "Most controversial sets" list on YT for years. This could've been prevented. These sets take like 2 years to make. Was there no one in those 2 years until now that said "Hmmm, maybe not"?

I wouldn't be surprised if the other sets ultimately get canceled as well. I just hope lego has learned from this experience.

3 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Well that's not really surprising. When cancellation rumours start appearing it's usually already too late.

And honestly, I get it. When I saw the leaks I already feared it might cause controversy. What I just don't get is how it could make it this far into production. I mean basically the entire original theme makes it on those "Most controversial sets" list on YT for years. This could've been prevented. These sets take like 2 years to make. Was there no one in those 2 years until now that said "Hmmm, maybe not"?

I wouldn't be surprised if the other sets ultimately get canceled as well. I just hope lego has learned from this experience.

It’s never enough for the woke PC mob IMO. I fully expect half of the Indy 5 sets to be cancelled at this point considering the plot is Nazi’s time traveling.

I find it intriguing that the actor who played Prime Minister Chattar Also described the controversial dining scene as a satirical jab at Western views on Indian food, and the actor who played Mola Ram called the whole controversy silly as the film was clearly a fantasy. I also find it intriguing that a company like Lego can let a product get this far before concluding that it breaches their own guidelines, whilst simultaneously letting at least one other breach in the same theme slide.

LMAO :jollyroger:

The whole process of making a LEGO set takes more or less eighteen months — and they cancel it a month before release. Ridiculous. 

Still gonna treat it as a rumour for now, but if it's true, this theme ain't getting more sets ever.

And it's probably just a bit too early for any of these to have been sent out either, unlike the Osprey, so we probably won't get any, nor the instructions for it.

I hope the plane is still on. That was my only definite buy of the playsets (although mostly for the car).

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

How likely is it that a few copies may have gotten into circulation, à la Overwatch 2? If so, those prices are gonna be UGLY

I think it's extremely likely they will show up eventually in some places.

9 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

It’s never enough for the woke PC mob IMO. I fully expect half of the Indy 5 sets to be cancelled at this point considering the plot is Nazi’s time traveling.

"woke PC mob"? Really?

The sets haven't even been officially announced yet, but sure, go with "woke mob".

Some people y'all...

14 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Your local Woke PC mob here, I had no problem with LEGO doing a Temple of Doom set, regardless of the film's content. In fact, I was really excited for the likelihood of getting several new non-white minifgure heads to diversify my LEGO display.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

This is being blown vastly out of proportion. While the movie is undoubtably racist, this set in particular is not. Moreover, unlike with LEGO’s in-house themes, licensed sets need to be approved by the licence holders in-question - Namely Lucasfilm/Disney. I find it extremely unlikely that Disney would either let LEGO almost release a set without their approval, or only just realise that ToD (the movie) is offensive and decide to pull all merch for it. 
What is more likely is that the set has some kind of stability/structural issue, and it has been delayed until said issue can be fixed. This has happened before with the 2021 Marvel mechs, and considering that the set was designed around two years ago (during peak COVID), there may be a similar designed-from-home flaw in this set. 

3 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

"woke PC mob"? Really?

The sets haven't even been officially announced yet, but sure, go with "woke mob".

Some people y'all...

Nobody complained when they made the set in 2009 and clearly no was complaining between 2009 and February 20th 2023. Yet now all the sudden on February 21st 2023 it’s racist and offensive🤡. Like if you’re offended by a movie from 1984 just don’t watch it or buy stuff from said movie 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

:hmpf: you are jumping to conclusions and then deluding yourself.

3 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Nobody complained when they made the set in 2009 and clearly no was complaining between 2009 and February 20th 2023. Yet now all the sudden on February 21st 2023 it’s racist and offensive🤡. Like if you’re offended by a movie from 1984 just don’t watch it or buy stuff from said movie 🤷‍♂️

Nobody was complaining because there is no reason to state things that are self-evident about a movie that came out when the majority of the people in this forum were either in grade school or not born. The reason we're discussing it now is because it's the most likely reason the set was cancelled, and because it's stupid that LEGO has just realized it when it's been problematic since release.

Also, you're claiming the set was cancelled because of hypothetical wokeness, but also that nobody complained before today? Which is it?

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

36 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

I see nothing on their Instagram page, and @Brick Clicker has not commented here either. Until we get more information from a reliable source (such as Promobricks), I am considering your comments to be speculation (and possibly agitation). 

15 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Now you are just throwing words around. Considering that we have not seen any calls for this set to be cancelled, I doubt that there is any “woke PC mob” (whatever that means) involved here.