Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, PGBQW said:

LEGO SEAN CONNERY, LET'S GO

This time with a proper new hat I hope :thumbup:

1 minute ago, PGBQW said:

Do we have a release date for the sets, yet?

Nope! I assume a January release for the sets based on the first four movies and May for the others :classic:

77012 Fighter Plane Chase ($34.99):  387pcs with a P-2 (stud shooters on wings) and convertible. Comes with Indy (new hat/hair combo), Henry Jones Sr, and an enemy pilot

77013 Escape from the Lost tomb ($39.99): 600pcs with Indy, Marion, and a Mummy. Tomb build with a "detailed back wall". Comes with Anubis Statues and the Ark of the Covenant.

77014 The Temple of Doom ($79.99): Large elevated center temple above lava with Kali statue and the Skull Altar. There is a light brick, as well as a minecart track using the rollar coaster system going around it.

77015 ($149.99)

77016-77019 are based on Indy 5. My guess is 77015 is crystal skull based, to fit the pattern of each previous film having a set, or it's the iconic boulder scene.

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

This time with a proper new hat I hope :thumbup:

Nope! I assume a January release for the sets based on the first four movies and May for the others :classic:

Yesh. The pith helmet was intolerable!

I’m excited for new Indy sets - and wondering what we might see from the new movie too, and also what sets we didn’t get from the originals.

wondering whether any of the newer animals 🐘🦁🐒🐍 might make an appearance in these sets as well. I’m still holding out hope for a nice big circus train set from the prologue of Crusade, would be the perfect opportunity to give us a giraffe and have some fun play features. 

Y'all, I feel like crying. One of my very first sets as a kid was the Lost Tomb.

This is ridiculously exciting to me. Maybe the first theme where I'll get all the sets.

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That's my speculation as well. Considering the amount of detail we already have about those four sets,makes January a pretty safe bet. 

But I have to say I wasn't expecting news this soon and with this amount of detail as well! 

Best news out all of this is the dual molded hat! 

Super glad that Indy is back! The set choices seem to be a little conservative, but as someone who doesn’t have the old ones, I personally don’t mind at all. Hoping for a January release!

I'm jumping up and down "screaming" over this, as "It's Beautiful!" news, and "I want to know everything!" about these sets. LEGO "chose wisely" with picking this theme back up... I'm surprised they didn't do so sooner!

(Think this comment covers all the films' famous lines.)

It's been a rollercoaster going from speculating if we'd get new sets with Indy 5 to thinking we were getting sets this year that turned out to be Avatar to finally having solid confirmation with set numbers and everything!

Getting four sets on the classic movies AND four sets on the new one sounds awesome. Though I hate to be that guy, I've gotta say that it will really suck if the movie's bad and half of these new sets are dedicated to it. Fortunately though, I have faith and am eagerly anticipating the film. :grin:

Here are some of my detailed thoughts based on what we know:

77012 The Fighter Plane: Sounds like a cool set, though in comparison to the other ones, it's probably the least interesting to me. Including the car that Indy and his dad steal is a good way to distinguish this set from the original, though I think that their plane was the more interesting build than the enemy one in the original set. It's also interesting that this seems to be the only set to include a German/Nazi of any sort with a generic pilot figure. It's also cool to be getting a Last Crusade-specific version of Indy wearing his outfit with the tie that he has on for a decent portion of the movie. 

77013 Escape from the Lost Tomb: This is probably the most exciting one for me! I missed out on the original version and this one sounds like a more modernized version of it. The best part (besides getting updated Raiders Indy and Marion figures) is finally getting Sallah! He's a main character who never got a figure in the original line. I'm curious to see how the build for the Ark of the Covenant will change and also to see if this set will also have the C-3PO/R2-D2 easter egg. Also, this set sounds really well-priced piece count wise. Yeah, that's subject to change with these recent price increases but $40 for a licensed Lego set with 600 pieces and three new and exclusive figures is a really good value! 

77014 The Temple of Doom: I'm also very excited to see this one! It's hard for me to picture based on the description alone but it sounds like they included all the important bits. Honestly, they could've just rereleased the original set and I'd still be happy. The original Temple of Doom is one of the Indy sets I most regret missing on. The scene with the mine carts was always one of my favorite action scenes in the series. I'm excited to get this version of Indy, as well as finally getting Short Round, Willie and Mola Ram, but it's also really cool that the Maharaja is getting a figure here, whereas he was missing in the original line. 

77015: I strongly suspect that this will be a remake of the Temple Escape from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm not sure how they could do it at a $150 size but I think that this is the most likely candidate. I don't see Lego dedicating the biggest set to the movie that was the most poorly received (Crystal Skull) and the only other location from the original films that I could see them doing at this size is maybe the Grail Temple from The Last Crusade. There's just no way that Lego would miss out on making a set off of the most iconic scene for Lego Indy's grand return. This set could be an intricate, detailed model of the temple with all the trap play features, the boulder and also Jock's plane. The figures could include a reuse of Indy from 77014, Jock, Satipo, Belloq, a few Hovitos tribe members and some skeletons of course. That'd be a dream come true as the original set is one of my white whales. 

A new hair/hat mold for Indy is just icing on the cake! Fingers crossed that this rebooted theme will be evergreen and we can expect Indy sets for years to come. We could get sets on the new Bethesda video game or other noteworthy sets missing here. For remakes, I'd desperately like to see remakes of 7622, 7682 and 7197. I also don't think we'll see any more Crystal Skull sets if the theme is only being brought back temporarily. Regardless if Indy's here to stay, I'm definitely buying all the sets this time around!

This is so exciting!!! The Indiana Jones theme is what got me into LEGO when I was a kid so this is just giving me a rush of nostalgia, like my childhood is coming back. I'll be buying every single set day one!

It’s been a long week, this is just the news I wanted to hear.

I wonder if that $150 one will end up being an 18+ set. Indy’s got plenary of MacGuffins that would work great as buildable objects.

This is great news! It's nice to see they've included some characters who we missed in the original theme.

Loving this news. I agree with theories the final set will be based on the Crystal Skull. Exciting. Here is hoping the film is good! I reckon we might get a couple of ways, Atleast I hope. Love this theme, it is so nostalgic. 

Wow, I did not expect to get detailed descriptions for 2023 sets in July! That is beyond exciting!

I suppose the first wave will come out in January (with details so soon), while the ones for Indy 5 will come out in May (with a July movie release date).

14 hours ago, PGBQW said:

LEGO SEAN CONNERY, LET'S GO

100% this. Will need to get him for the DB5.

Edited by dilligan

Just thought of something highly speculative: could there be a CMF series in the cards? That could explain why there are two unlicensed ones this year! :oh:

Probably wishful thinking, but I do hope this pulls a Harry Potter and sticks around even after the new film comes and goes.

Maybe with the exception of Lord of the Rings and possibly Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones is probably the most well-liked retired licensed theme.

I don't think that this theme will see past 2023.With a measly wave of four sets for the new movie and a prior wave that consists of only remakes of older sets,it looks like lego is only interested for a quick cash grab.

Edited by LOTR34

10 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

I don't think that this theme will see past 2023.With a measly wave of four sets for the new movie and a prior wave that consists of only remakes of older sets,it looks like lego is only interested for a quick cash grab.

I mean the HP revival in 2018 only had 2 Fantastic Beast sets and 5 HP sets and look how the theme has blossomed. Initially it was supposed to be a three year plan but due to its immense popularity the theme has become evergreen. I predict Lego has a similar plan with these sets, the theme will stick around for three years. I don’t think Indy is as big as HP so it’ll be harder to make it evergreen. 

2023 can't come sooner, I can't wait for some more Indiana Jones sets since I wasn't able to get any of the original run when I was young. Hopefully this isn't only one wave and we get more.

Edited by Mister_Loki

I'm surprised we got descriptions this early!

I feel like there's a high chance of a second wave, assuming this is a January release, especially since the movie is a summer release.  At the very least, I'd be surprised if we didn't get 1-2 more Indy 5 sets after the movie comes out.  There's definitely enough from the first four movies to do at least 2-3 more waves of sets, too.  They could do remakes of the motorcycle chase, Shanghai car chase, Venice canal chase, possibly the Flying Wing, Jungle Cutter, Cemetery Battle, Crystal Skull/Raiders temples, and I really, really hope we get a remake of the truck chase, that's one I wished I had from back when it came out, and it's just too expensive on the secondary market these days.  They could also do the ToD bridge fight or the Grail Temple, just to name a few possible new ones.

I'm happy about the selection of sets here.  I missed out on the original Well of Souls set, so I'll definitely be getting the new one.  I'll have to see on the others, but am definitely interested in the fighter plane and Temple of Doom.  

Also, the prices seem really good for these, at least based on the piece counts and my assumption on the general size of each set.

Edited by Kit Figsto

51 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

I think it will get some sets based on the new film afterwards alongside some either sets from the old films. I suspect it will be 2023 and 2024. A total of 3-4 waves.

39 minutes ago, RODDY said:

I mean the HP revival in 2018 only had 2 Fantastic Beast sets and 5 HP sets and look how the theme has blossomed. Initially it was supposed to be a three year plan but due to its immense popularity the theme has become evergreen. I predict Lego has a similar plan with these sets, the theme will stick around for three years. I don’t think Indy is as big as HP so it’ll be harder to make it evergreen. 

Yeah I think so too. In this upcoming wave of sets we're already getting two characters who we didn't see in the original line so I'm hoping that Lego go back and fill in the gaps. 

I'm intrigued to see what the $150 set is. As another user posted above the Hovitos Temple or the Grail Temple seem like the most obvious candidates. I would love it to be the train chase from Crusade though. 

4 hours ago, Stonks Market said:

Probably wishful thinking, but I do hope this pulls a Harry Potter and sticks around even after the new film comes and goes.

Maybe with the exception of Lord of the Rings and possibly Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones is probably the most well-liked retired licensed theme.

I'd say it's only behind lord of the rings in terms of popularity. Lord of the Rings is a good comparison, where kids might not have much exposure to it, but it had a gargantuan cultural influence around those who were kids when they saw them to the point adults could honestly carry the sales of the system sets. 

I'm way more excited for this than I thought I would be. I remember watching these as a kid (I'm not old enough to have seen them in theatres, but I remember watching them all on dvd when I was probably too young to understand what was happening on screen), and I REALLY want to get these.

2 hours ago, RODDY said:

Well HP has longevity because of the immense source material.Indy has four (soon to be five) movies and considering how only the first three are well liked with the fourth one being the one that everyone is trying to forget and the 5th being a mystery for the time being it makes the theme short lived.

As you said I if it goes beyond this year it will probably last 3 years max.If that's the case I hope they atleast remake the Temple Escape and maybe gives us some new set pieces like the Venice tomb scene.