Zerobricks

Lego 42123 McLaren Senna GTR™ MODs and improvements

I got my 42123 a month or so ago and while it's a very awesome set out of the boy I knew I had to give it a proper differential.

Here's how I did it in LDD:

In order to preserve the original engine position the differential is moved back one stud:

800x626.jpg

A pair of 8 tooth gears transfer the power from wheels to the differential:

800x773.jpg

And while I was at it, I also made the steering work using 8 and 24 tooth gears:

640x825.jpg

I plan to make a detailed HOW:TO video tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile you can download the LDD here:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Zblj/42123-differential-and-working-steering-wheel-mod/42123 Differential and Working Steering Wheel MOD.lxf

Edited by Zerobricks

Your angled gears solutions never cease to amaze me... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: How well does the 24t mesh at that angle? Or maybe the old crown gear would be better suited that the straight-cut teeth of newer one?

Just now, syclone said:

Your angled gears solutions never cease to amaze me... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: How well does the 24t mesh at that angle? Or maybe the old crown gear would be better suited that the straight-cut teeth of newer one?

I originally wanted to use the crown 24Z gear, but AFAIK it's not being produced anymore.

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I got my 42123 a month or so ago and while it's a very awesome set out of the boy I knew I had to give it a proper differential.

Here's how I did it in LDD:

In order to preserve the original engine position the differential is moved back one stud:

800x626.jpg

A pair of 8 tooth gears transfer the power from wheels to the differential:

800x773.jpg

And while I was at it, I also made the steering work using 8 and 24 tooth gears:

640x825.jpg

I plan to make a detailed HOW:TO video tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile you can download the LDD here:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Zblj/42123-differential-and-working-steering-wheel-mod/42123 Differential and Working Steering Wheel MOD.lxf

Yes, I will check it out, when you're ready ! 

@Zerobricks Can we rename this topic to "mods and improvemnts", as we don't have this topic yet?

Here is my differential

800x857.jpg

800x899.jpg

This should be possible also with old type differential and with that larger "half"gear.

But this could have been some "cheap" set with new type differential. And it would match so much this car.

Edited by Jurss

Just now, Jurss said:

@mojitoca Can we rename this topic to "mods and improvemnts", as we don't have this topic yet?

Here is my differential

800x857.jpg

800x899.jpg

This should be possible also with old type differential and with that larger "half"gear.

But this could have been some "cheap" set with new type differential. And it would match so much this car.

Just now, Jurss said:

@mojitoca Can we rename this topic to "mods and improvemnts", as we don't have this topic yet?

Here is my differential

800x857.jpg

800x899.jpg

Yes, good choice, and  ok, mods and improvemnts sound great

I was afraid about that axle sticking out at the other end. But, because of that bend in chassis, it just fits.

My version for steering wheel

800x527.jpg

Finished it to check, that mods doesn't conflict somewhere. Yes, different color.

800x355.jpg

I've built mine on Thursday, and did consider doing the same steering wheel mod as you @Jurss. My concern was that it would leave a big gap below the front of the windshield.

Also, don't the bush and liftarms thin 1x2 you've added to the rear (behind the diff) push against the liftarms thin 1x6 when you fold the rear (step 75) ?

How I substituted new parts, and something more (sorry for dust)

New panel on the side

800x575.jpg

Also there is some 2 different parts for side skirt front

Replacment for that panel consists of

640x565.jpg

Rear scoop

800x618.jpg

On rear spoiler I used

250x250p.jpg?1595084276.2174866

Rear diffusor I made this way, as I didn't had those parts (yes they are somewhere in sons unsorted parts, but I'm lasy to search)

800x423.jpg

Additionally in fron I didn't used 2 1L liftarms, but that 3L piece

800x501.jpg

I thnik, it looks better.

Just now, Leewan said:

My concern was that it would leave a big gap below the front of the windshield.

No, it doesn't leave a gap, as those parts are under hood in fact. Yes, now those gears are visible, but this is technic. Yes, orginally loo would be much cleaner, but just from the top.

800x600.jpg

That gap could be filled with some halfbeam

12 minutes ago, Leewan said:

don't the bush and liftarms thin

I don't see/feel any issues. I was worried about engine axle, but it just the right lenght, it doesn't affect steering, and here that bend really helps.

800x569.jpg

@Leewan OK, covered everything by Your request

800x532.jpg

7L halfbeam added to that hood section

and that hole covered with

800x608.jpg

There can be anotherone halfbeam added behind dashboard section, then there won't be almost no gap between dashboard and hood.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

@Leewan OK, covered everything by Your request

Thanks for your effort. :sweet:

I uploaded a video of my MOD:

Since meanwhile even more mods pipped up, I'd suggest building the whole models in LDD, so we can all colaborate on it.

Here is another rear diff mod (I assume It should be ok with my dummy chassis) with diff part 4525184 DIFFERENTIALE 3M Z 28 (same as Porsche 42056) should fit

0gik.jpg2zfn.jpgqrpx.jpg

Yes, it should fit.

Good, that there is space between conncetors #2 for some halfbushes, so that axles hold in place firmly.

It is recomended to use 8Laxle with stop for camshaft, with the stop at the gear, so that gear really stays in place.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, Jurss said:

Finished it to check, that mods doesn't conflict somewhere. Yes, different color.

800x355.jpg

Hello, I made an account to ask this question. I'm new to building model Lego. I was wondering if the parts are painted, if so what method did you use to repaint the parts? Are there any tips and tricks you would recommend for doing so. It seems painting Lego seems a bit taboo since there practically no information available around online. The model hasn't come yet, but I intend to used an airbrush with liquid paint (my brother builds and customizes Gunpla and has good experience with model painting). I'm also keeping an eye out for a redesign of the spoiler for the standard Senna.

I'm not sure why lego didnt use these two new pieces that came in the mario penguin

250x250p.jpg250x250p.jpg

These could be used for so many things such as body panels, spoilers, and body panels and body panels.

Part IDs are 77095 and 77090

Edited by SNIPE

2 hours ago, psilostrasza said:

I was wondering if the parts are painted,

No, they are not painted, all ar in original colors, just from other sets, which I had.

Thank you!
You just make me want to buy sets, I originally don't :classic:

Without differential, this set was a big no-no for me. With this mod... I'll get this.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:32 PM, Jurss said:

No, they are not painted, all ar in original colors, just from other sets, which I had.

Thank you for your response. It look awesome by the way! Are the grey parts on the bonnet not available in red?

In terms of making the custom differential or changing the colour, is it viable to order the parts separately online or must I own another technic set to provide the parts?