Jim

Technic General Discussion

I am looking for instructions on building a PF system with internal direction change. What I mean is that I want the motor to spin one way, let's say extending a set of beams, and then at the end of the extension to retract the beams back to initial position while still spinning in the same direction. This means the extension part of the work would also power a different component which would slowly apply pressure on the standard PF function switcher up to a tipping point at which the entire system would be put in reverse.

Is there perhaps a MOC (ideally with instructions) I could take a look at? 

I think you could a systems that uses a mechanical reciprocating movement mechanism, this way the motor will always spin in the same direction but the beams will move forward and backward, this system will not require a PF switch, it is something similar to the movement of the cylinders inside an engine, the crankshaft always move in one direction, but the cylinders go up and down; i am interested in what are you building, if you could give more information, for example the size you need and how many parts and motors you have, i could even make some examples in LDD for you.

Basically, I want to build a scissor lift like device from technic beams and have it be expanded and retracted continuously, without switching the direction of the motor. So I need to be able to switch the system from one direction to another after it reaches the apex without RC.

It's a very simple concept (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Steam_engine_in_action.gif/600px-Steam_engine_in_action.gif) but since I don't have much experience with MOCs yet I wanted to be careful so as not to put the system into same state that would wreck the motor or the pieces (I suppose that's why we have those nice white clutch gears, right?).

Edited by Huaojozu

That kind of system could work, my idea is that you could make the normal scissor lift elevator, and you could put the reciprocating system under it, i know i am not very helpful with this small explanation, so i will  make an small example soon for an easier understanding.

Edit: Here it is (or at least the concept of working):

The green parts are the scissor lifting system, the red wheel with in the read axle is the one that would come from the motor and when it rotates it will move up and down the blue beam which will move the scissor lifting system up and down too:

800x423.jpg800x423.jpg

This is an idea that i have for the system, it is very simple and should work fine with light loads, i also recommend you to start a new topic about it, so this topic wont get filled only by this; good luck with it.

Edited by ImanolBB

I don't think so, but is there a Technic theme tag, like the star wars one?  Maybe the grey gear?  If there is could I have one?

"A Massive Migraine for Design Lab!!" :laugh:, i really like that presentation, it makes me know what i must do to avoid illegal builds, i think that those are very useful tips, thanks for sharing it Zux.

I'd like to mention that 42000 looks absolutely spiffing with tumbler tyres. It's just a shame that I managed to mash up a diff and some cardan cups trying to motorise the thing myself.

I might make another attempt with better bracing and put together a LXF and photos. I was too disgusted with the damage to think it was worth chronicling what I did last time.

SUPER-EDIT: Photos. Crap ones.

20161016_011051.jpg

Non-stock luxury tyres, fuzzy forearms and cheap textured wallpaper

20160809_185617.jpg

I forgot the link to the thread that made me want to try this

Despite me lurkin' here for over 4 years already I'm still wary of the whole necrobumping thing, and I don't believe this stuff is good enough to bump the specific model's thread anyway so this stuff is in here now

Edited by Gnac

Does anyone notice that since 2015 the background for Technic sets no longer have that light burst and only feature realistic scenes

Milan revealed the prototypes for the Fire Plane and the Heavy Lift Helicopter:

I feel fortunate that the prototype for the Heavy Lift Helicopter didn't make way to the official set. It looks horrifying...

Until 2016 1H, the helicopter 42052 holds the record for the set with most panels used. Then 2016 2H comes and we get the Porsche with 92 panels! Quite a tough act to follow.

If we exclude the Porsche as an outlier then 2017 1H brings us the Ocean Explorer with 57 panels and the Jet with 48 panels.

So far the top most panel-filled Technic sets are:

42056 - 92 panels
42064 - 57 panels
42052 - 51 panels
42025 - 50 panels
42066 - 48 panels
42039 - 47 panels
42055 - 38 panels

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Well after a little pause from LEGO, I've finally returned by trying to make a nice little trophy truck. I was using two 4.8 volt NiCd packs in series and a custom adapter similar to the minizip, and when I plugged it into the receiver, the connectors got very hot-even meting some the the connector. Now, the receiver no longer works, I have tested it with all my battery boxs but still no sign of life. It couldn't be due to over-voltage as PF is rated for 11V and my pack was 9.6. Could I have gotten the polarity wrong, but this seem strange that there would be no reverse polarity protection inside the receiver. I even opened up the receiver, but it looked all okay. Does anyone know why this could have happened or how to fix it?

A couple of questions about supercar bodies.

From what I can tell there are two types of Lego supercars: scale models of existing or concept vehicles, and fantasy supercars, which come from the mind of the builder.  I'm interested in the latter.

Question 1: How do you start your design?  Sketches?  Virtual building?  Trial and error building?

Question 2: Where do you start the design of the body?  Roof line? Hood?  Fenders?  Doors?

Any input would be helpful.  I've tried the virtual and real building methods and have yet to complete a project. 

Edit: I don't have trouble with the chassis, just the body.

Edited by BusterHaus

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

From what I can tell there are two types of Lego supercars: scale models of existing or concept vehicles, and fantasy supercars, which come from the mind of the builder.  I'm interested in the latter.

Question 1: How do you start your design?  Sketches?  Virtual building?  Trial and error building?

Question 2: Where do you start the design of the body?  Roof line? Hood?  Fenders?  Doors?

Well, I just built a "fantasy" supercar, so I might be able to answer this.

Question 1: I started with what I call a "beam sketch." I put the beams and tires on the ground to create a 2D model of what I want to build. However, when I started building, the model ended up using trial and error building. I mostly only used the general shape of the roofline and distance between the wheels from the original.

Question 2: I first built the chassis, and attempted the front and rear end. I couldn't really get a good design going, so I tried the roofline and went from there. With renewed inspiration, I eventually did the back, front, and then sides. 

This is just how I did it, not some perfect recipe for a supercar. And if you start and keep trying like I did, I'm sure you can make one too. 

@Offroadcreat1ons Just went through that topic, it gave a lot of insight into your process (very nice result, by the way). I think I need to get out a sketch pad and put some ideas on paper before building, or do a beam sketch.  I don't really have an image of the body in my head, which slows down the building considerably.

I usually start with the chassis, and then try to design a bodywork around that. I start with the back, give up, start the front, give up, do the sides, try the back again, build the front, the hood, the roof, the A-pillars, and then interior.

That is how it goes every time.

Edited by letsbuild

4 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Any input would be helpful.  I've tried the virtual and real building methods and have yet to complete a project. 

I start with a platform (chassis), suspension, body, then interior. (I am making a moc as of now [unrevealed]) which I use the same way.

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I usually start with the chassis, and then try to design a bodywork around that. I start with the back, give up, start the front, give up, do the sides, try the back again, build the front, the hood, the roof, the A-pillars, and then interior.

That is how it goes every time.

Same, I would love to see a supercar from you, And @BusterHaus.

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Same, I would love to see a supercar from you, And @BusterHaus.

Well, there will be one soon, as you can see from my post.

1 minute ago, letsbuild said:

Well, there will be one soon, as you can see from my post.

I see now.

I am seeing a few topics attempting to set speed records. I remember a speeder with many (4? 8?) Technic 9v motors that reached over 40km/h. I think it was a studded construction. I can't find it anywhere - does anyone else recall it? 

I was wondering , did anyone have any problems with TLG Customer Service when replacing parts? Because today I received my "replacement" of an IR receiver, which resulted to be a WeDo 2.0 medium motor :sceptic: . This is the first time this happens , I had 4 successful replacements before, so it was a not very happy surprise. Awaiting their answer on this now.

Edited by Xewyz2001

39 minutes ago, Xewyz2001 said:

I was wondering , did anyone have any problems with TLG Customer Service when replacing parts? Because today I received my "replacement" of an IR receiver, which resulted to be a WeDo 2.0 medium motor :sceptic: . This is the first time this happens , I had 4 successful replacements before, so it was a not very happy surprise.

What? "The best customer service" messing up. Just ask for another one.

Quality control!?