Oky

MOC: Hospital Spaceship Ceyda

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well and healthy during these difficult times. :classic:

This is my first SHIP (Seriously Huge Investment in Parts) and my entry for this year's SHIPtember. It is 147 studs long and features a full interior. I built most of it during the month of September and finished up the interior in the following weeks. This ship is an idea that I have had for over 10 years now and I am so excited to finally have realized it. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did making it.

50425366282_564f48b1d5_z.jpg

This build is dedicated to all the brave medical professionals that have worked so hard this year to keep us all safe, including my awesome sister who is a D.O. and who this ship is named after. It serves as a reminder that as long as we have heroes like them and we listen to them, we can make it through this difficult time and survive into the far future where such a spaceship could be a reality.

50424505528_7b7d7b4355_z.jpg

The HSS Ceyda is a moderately sized, but fully equipped hospital spaceship (HSS). Once built by the Lego Space Federation to help out in the Great Blacktron War, she now mainly goes on humanitarian missions, traveling from system to system to offer medical services wherever she can. She is equipped with an emergency room, surgery room, sterilization room, radiological services (including CT), rehabilitation center, doctor's office, dentist office, optometry office, laboratory, pharmacy, wards, cafeteria, 10 escape pods, and more. The ship has no weapons, but it has an extra powerful shield generator to protect its passengers. Attacking the HSS Ceyda is considered a war crime by the Space Police.

50538202768_3d171c96b2_z.jpg

In case a distress signal is received nearby, the ship carries an ambulance shuttle that can be dispatched to go and bring potential patients back to the hospital.

50538837561_b09e47bb2a_z.jpg

Above the hangar is a landing pad only for the ambulance and a decontamination airlock so that the paramedics can land and bring patients into the hospital without carrying in any space germs. There are tools on the ambulance landing pad to service the ambulance, but for more extensive repairs, the ambulance can enter the cargo and repair bay in the back.

50538837961_7448650ba6_z.jpg

The landing pad can be removed for better access to the hangar. All throughout the ship there are teleporter pads known as "Televators" with which people can quickly travel to different parts of the ship simply by saying where they want to go.

50538115778_d6c7a7cff0_z.jpg

I designed the ship to split into two halves for easier transportation.

50538838436_71b54d5bf4_z.jpg

On the backside of the hangar, there is the main entrance to the hospital as well as ladders which lead up to the crew's quarters. Here you can also get a good look at the laundry room.

50538838806_010b3e3760_z.jpg

The roof of the wards section of the ship can be removed to access the interior.

50538838846_307204407a_z.jpg

There are four wards with a total of 16 beds as well as 2 bathrooms.

50538115258_6b6a5fef3e_z.jpg

One of the patients in the ward is a tribute to my best friend Randy who sadly lost his battle with cancer last year and was a big Spider-Man fan.

50538837771_565feab98e_z.jpg

Each bathroom features a toilet, a sink, and a shower with handle bars and a fold-out chair for paraplegics.

50538115378_a2bf01ba55_z.jpg

The escape pods are located directly under the wards. In an emergency, the patients are automatically lowered into the pods and ejected.

50538837866_a0e1efe19e_z.jpg

At the front of the ship, there is a cafeteria where both patients and visitors can come to eat. Diners can entertain themselves by viewing the stars through the large windows or watching the TV in the back.

50538116403_a6f5a3c678_z.jpg

Under the cafeteria is the rehab center gym where patients can regain their strength or lose some of the calories they gained at the cafeteria.

50538116463_42bf0d2993_z.jpg

On each side of the ship are large engine rooms where the engineers can maintain the ships's engines.

50538114548_8861dc3b97_z.jpg

Underneath the bridge is the captain's cabin with a bed, wardrobe and desk for the captain. Only the captain can teleport here.

50538116163_66689bc520_z.jpg

The captain's chair is located toward the back of the bridge from where he can easily oversee his crew. Next to it is a holo-map and behind it is a Televator which can only be accessed via a secure access code.

50538838106_9b25b2de4e_z.jpg

The bridge crew members each man a control station in front of the large panoramic window.

50538115678_d17d499794_z.jpg

In the back of the ship, it has 2 main engines and 4 auxiliary thrusters, as well as the entrance for the cargo/repair bay.

50538116038_26b08b4d91_z.jpg

Here you can see the cargo/repair bay doors when open.

50538116063_52196b12a1_z.jpg

The back wall can be opened and all 3 decks inside can be accessed by removing them like drawers.

50538115958_f62e80118f_z.jpg

Here is an overview of the three decks once they are removed.

50538837021_407b88a26d_m.jpg 50538836956_aa8078b3ed_m.jpg 50538982697_2c0f08dc06_m.jpg

Let's take a closer look at them, starting with the first deck. This one contains the reception and waiting area, pharmacy, laboratory, doctor's office, administrative office, dentist office, optometrist office, and a restroom.

50538839491_af808e4c28_z.jpg

50538839631_7788449dc6_z.jpg

Several patients are waiting to be seen, including an Explorien who got a little too close to an egg while exploring an alien planet and now needs to get rid of a facehugger. One of the Mars Mission aliens is checking in as he accidentally impaled himself. Another alien is getting his prescription from the pharmacy. Meanwhile, there are reruns of Ninjago are playing on the little wall-mounted TV.

50538983232_ce5f14f83c_z.jpg

A technician is doing some lab work while Dr. Zarifi (my sister) is entering her office to see a patient.

50538837391_4e80cd3f1a_z.jpg

Here you can see the restroom and the optometrist office where Dr. Fram (my real-life eye doctor) is having my sigfig perform vision tests.

50538983312_470ef72430_z.jpg

Meanwhile, an alien is having some dental work done and a robot is performing administrative task.

50538982972_89a1c45a32_z.jpg

The second deck is reserved for the crew members and can only be teleported to using a secure access code. In the Cargo & Repair Bay there are stacks of supplies and Octan concentrated power crystal fuel cells as well as a workstation for making repairs. There is also a small mech for moving heavy objects.

50538116798_0e594e1e03_z.jpg

Opposite of the Cargo & Repair Bay are the crew's quarters. There is one for male and one for female crew members, although all genders are welcome on board. The corridor in the middle leads to the engine rooms on the sides of the ship.

50538116708_90bdd03687_z.jpg

Both quarters have a row of bunk beds, a small desk, and an adjacent bathroom with shower.

50538114803_92e9509eb0_z.jpg

Both the inner (blue) and outer doors (gray) of the Cargo & Repair Bay can be slid open and closed.

50538983092_2431f959b6_z.jpg

The upper deck is connected to the ambulance landing pad so that critical patients can be brought directly to the ER or into surgery.

50538839151_48419eb42d_z.jpg

On the other side of the upper deck is a room for radiology services, including an MRI machine, and a lounge where the crew can come to take a break.and have lunch.

50538116613_0460e68f05_z.jpg

The bed of the MRI machine can be rolled in or out and there is a small room from where a crew member can operate the machine.

50538983052_993c1b877c_z.jpg

The surgery room is state-of-the-art and features robot arms with which the surgeon can make precise operations from behind his control desk. Next to the operating room is the sterilization room where a robot sanitizes the medical equipment.

50538114708_e9ec428ca6_z.jpg

Here you can see it flying alongside all the other SHIPtember 2020 entries.

50503802093_a6e7a07882_z.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 Poster by noblebun, on Flickr

Again, I hope you liked it. Let me know if I forgot to include anything or if there's anything I could improve.

Thanks for looking and stay safe out there! :classic:

Excellent build! I love the details and the color scheme.

Edited by JintaiZ

The amount of attention to detail is insane.  Crap...now you need a psychiatric ward.

In all seriousness, this is amazing and I absolutely love it.

What a fun, cool build and concept. A spaceship hospital! Really great work on such a large minifigure-scale spaceship. Love the ambulance shuttle and construction of the main engines. Fantastic MOC!

Thanks everyone! I just added some more pictures of the bridge and captain's cabin which I had initially forgotten, so check them out.

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

What a fun, cool build and concept. A spaceship hospital! Really great work on such a large minifigure-scale spaceship. Love the ambulance shuttle and construction of the main engines. Fantastic MOC!

Thank you. It's certainly not a new concept, but one that hasn't been explored very often in Lego, especially at minifig-scale, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to build it.

15 hours ago, Merlo said:

Amazing details. Someone should make a space medical drama in this ship :)

Thanks! Haha, yes, that would be great. :laugh:

Looks great. Really great combination of space and hospital.

I have two questions: How did you create the sketch of the ship (white-blue image) and why did you use an old street base plate? Not that it is bad, it is just so... unexpected. 

Cheers

On 10/29/2020 at 3:04 PM, Tierce said:

Looks great. Really great combination of space and hospital.

I have two questions: How did you create the sketch of the ship (white-blue image) and why did you use an old street base plate? Not that it is bad, it is just so... unexpected.

Thanks! The answer is quite simple really: because I don't have any other road plates. :laugh: But even if I had the newer ones, I wouldn't use them since I like the light gray color of the old ones and they have a narrower street (something I didn't notice until I was trying to create a mockup in LDD which only has the newer baseplates), giving me more real estate on the sidewalk area for the parking spots.

As for the blueprint effect, I simply followed this Photoshop tutorial:

On 10/28/2020 at 4:39 AM, Oky said:

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did making it.

I believe that is next to impossible.

We can look at the photographs and - hold our breaths - freeze in awe - and simply need time to grasp the sheer depth (not as in width and height, but rather as in thoughts and planning) of your fantastic creation.

It must have been such fun and inspiration, going back and forth, adding this and that, make it all one perfect ship - with so many lovely and functional details. It is breathtaking. 

If I had this wonderful model in my room, I would just look at it for very long time, then play with it - removing a part here, look, play, put it back ... hours and hours.

What an accomplishment. Wow.

And another truly warm thing is: It is a rescue ship. No zapping, bombing, chasing, killing, predating ... but rescuing. I love it.

Wow. You made my day!

All the best,
Thorsten

So many attention to details, so many winks. Really good stuff here ! ( I love the face hugger idea and the use of base plates)

Nice idea those teleportation pods.

Err, I can't figure the part you used for them out.

A gorgeous build, Oky. Not often one sees ships with more then three decks on minifig scale, but you managed it.

Great build, never seen a flying hospital. So many details, looks like you think of ... everything. 
Like the whole idea. Looks great and likes it that it looks like the 'old' Lego. the Ambulance is cool too.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:44 AM, Tim_AZ said:

I love the ambulance build.  Has such a great retro look to it.

Thanks! It was inspired by the ones seen in Futurama, a show known for its retro designs. :wink:

On 11/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, Toastie said:

I believe that is next to impossible. We can look at the photographs and - hold our breaths - freeze in awe - and simply need time to grasp the sheer depth (not as in width and height, but rather as in thoughts and planning) of your fantastic creation.

It must have been such fun and inspiration, going back and forth, adding this and that, make it all one perfect ship - with so many lovely and functional details. It is breathtaking. 

If I had this wonderful model in my room, I would just look at it for very long time, then play with it - removing a part here, look, play, put it back ... hours and hours. What an accomplishment. Wow.

And another truly warm thing is: It is a rescue ship. No zapping, bombing, chasing, killing, predating ... but rescuing. I love it.

Wow. You made my day!

Haha, thank you very much! I'm glad it made your day. Yes, it sure was a lot of fun to build - to research the layout of modern day hospital ships and the details in each room and come up with my own version with a sci-fi twist on it. It was a bit stressful trying to get most of it done in just a month, but it was a nice challenge. And yeah, I figured we've all seen enough death and violence lately and could use a more peaceful, optimistic, and health-focused SHIP. :classic:

On 11/1/2020 at 2:34 PM, hagridshut said:

This is an amazing build! It's like a flying city in space.

Haha, nah, that would be Joshua Dinklage's insane entry. :wink: But thanks!

13 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

So many attention to details, so many winks. Really good stuff here ! ( I love the face hugger idea and the use of base plates)

Nice idea those teleportation pods. Err, I can't figure the part you used for them out.

Thanks! Honestly, I'm surprised not more people use baseplates in their builds like this. It saves a lot on plates and a bit of height. Maybe because baseplates are so darn expensive. :hmpf_bad: The televators are upside-down Lego Dimensions stands. :wink: