shimon

[MOC] Pneumatic Backhoe Loader

Hello everyone!

Today I would like to present you my latest and most complex MOC up to date - Pneumatic Backhoe. 

KcJ6y01.jpg

Features: 

- Steering operated via steering wheel

- 4 cylinder engine with 4WD and central differential

- Both manual and electric pumps

- manual pump can be detached for more convenient use

- Suspended driver seat +360 degree rotation

- Rear arm linear movement 

- All the pneumatic functions 

Video coming soon.

4uHcS6S.jpg

TdMbj3x.jpg

hYvKkrG.jpg

SiZsCpK.jpg

TdMbj3x.jpg

HRfixWA.jpg

xWqG1AD.jpg

I8IQawk.jpg

iskyC3W.jpg

z9zqJC2.jpg

tLC11fN.jpg

qA8W8kV.jpg

Cheers,

Shimon

Edited by shimon

Well done! 

Is there any difference when using the half 20 tooth gear compared to the 1 stud thick 20 tooth gear to drive the differential? 

17 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Well done! 

Is there any difference when using the half 20 tooth gear compared to the 1 stud thick 20 tooth gear to drive the differential? 

Thanks! I use them for the front because the gear rack interferes with the 1 stud wide, it is inserted with a 3L brown pin with stop so that it wont slide off.

For the back I use the same method just for symmetry. 

Edited by shimon

it looks very nice, bbut could you put drive axle 2 studs lower to use double bevel 20 tooth gears at the front of front and at the rear differential; somehow I had bad experience with using bevel 20 tooth gear on differential. I know that you use it because of gear rack; or put gear rack one stud to the rear...like I made it here 

3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

it looks very nice, bbut could you put drive axle 2 studs lower to use double bevel 20 tooth gears at the front of front and at the rear differential; somehow I had bad experience with using bevel 20 tooth gear on differential. I know that you use it because of gear rack; or put gear rack one stud to the rear...like I made it here 

I don't really see any problems with that setup when the model is not driven by a motor, the brown 3L axle locks the gear so it doesn't come off, and there is no stress nor friction driving the dummy engine. 

However, Im thinking about making a motorized RC version (instead of motor pump), and for that I will definitely have to replace the 20 teeth.  

That's very nice! You managed to include backhoe sliding sideways thingy too.

One minor thing though: Backhoes with same wheels on the rear and back axle have four wheel steering. I guess this thing has enormous turning radius.

24 minutes ago, shimon said:

I don't really see any problems with that setup when the model is not driven by a motor, the brown 3L axle locks the gear so it doesn't come off, and there is no stress nor friction driving the dummy engine. 

However, Im thinking about making a motorized RC version (instead of motor pump), and for that I will definitely have to replace the 20 teeth.  

:thumbup:

(Perhaps it could cause problems on RC version, but you'll see; I personally do not like clicking and similar stuff on RC models, so I took specific approach)

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

That's very nice! You managed to include backhoe sliding sideways thingy too.

One minor thing though: Backhoes with same wheels on the rear and back axle have four wheel steering. I guess this thing has enormous turning radius.

Thanks, it was a huge dilemma at first about what functions to pack, the rear sliding mechanism takes a lot of space. 

Initially it was meant to be 3 steering modes and manual pump only, but I eventually thought that this layout is less practical and decided to add a motor pump instead for better playability. 

So its a trilemma - steering modes, differentials + engine, electrics  - pick 2. 

What would you pick? 

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

:thumbup:

(Perhaps it could cause problems on RC version, but you'll see; I personally do not like clicking and similar stuff on RC models, so I took specific approach)

Clicking is a no no for me as well. 

If you would like to use full RC, I suggest to go with simplest 4ws solution..or you will need mobile phone or tablet to control all of functions...

25 minutes ago, shimon said:

Thanks, it was a huge dilemma at first about what functions to pack, the rear sliding mechanism takes a lot of space. 

Initially it was meant to be 3 steering modes and manual pump only, but I eventually thought that this layout is less practical and decided to add a motor pump instead for better playability. 

So its a trilemma - steering modes, differentials + engine, electrics  - pick 2. 

What would you pick? 

I picked 4 wheel steering (no modes) and electrics. And ditched sliding arm and went for American style backhoes.

Great work, but I can't help to think how expensive this thing must be, with all those long-acting pneumatic cylinders...

Stunning model! One of the best backhoe loaders in Lego Technic version.

Does the manual pump help the motor pump or does it replace the motor pump?

Stunning MOC! *oh2*

I really admire the spotless hose arrangement and also, that the switches are placed like in a real backhoe.

1 minute ago, mpj said:

Does the manual pump help the motor pump or does it replace the motor pump?

I'd suspect, that the with the manual pumps, it's much easier to gain enough air pressure and therefor speed up lifting of the boom or front arm.

Thanks everyone! 

The manual and electric pumps are for better playability - the electric pump is best for the front arm functions and outriggers, and the manual is best for the rear arm, but you can activate any function with both pumps. 

Cool backhoe! I like the way you mounted all pneumatics - they are almost invisible!

This MOC is for rich people as it uses 3 long thin pneumo cylinders :(

Don't you want to film some video? This would be highly appreciated!

And I have a question - why you installed a diff between axles? Ias fase I know it's needed if axles have different wheel sizes in tractors..

Edited by Aleh

This is bloody amazing! I love the complexity of backhoe loaders, especially side shift models. You've really nailed this and the aesthetics are perfect as well! I'd love to see this in action and I hope for kindness in you making instructions available for this. It's easily one of the best technic backhoe loader designs I've seen. Keep up the great work!

On 9/30/2020 at 1:32 PM, Aleh said:

Cool backhoe! I like the way you mounted all pneumatics - they are almost invisible!

And I have a question - why you installed a diff between axles? Ias fase I know it's needed if axles have different wheel sizes in tractors..

Thanks! 

Video is coming up soon. 

The central diff is for smoother drive, without it moving the model when steering may sometimes feel a bit friction. 

On 10/1/2020 at 7:56 AM, trinitechnic said:

This is bloody amazing! I love the complexity of backhoe loaders, especially side shift models. You've really nailed this and the aesthetics are perfect as well! I'd love to see this in action and I hope for kindness in you making instructions available for this. It's easily one of the best technic backhoe loader designs I've seen. Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much! 

Im working on a video. 

As for the instructions, It will take some time

Definitely those pneumatic features won't be easy to motorize...

On 9/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, Aleh said:

Makes me feel bad that 1 have 4 of them in my parts bins being unused.

Very nice backhoe. Looks good, functions well.