GENERAL STORE: A TIME CAPSULE

General Stores were very common in the US back in the 18th and 19th century, especially in rural areas or in small towns. Actually, there are few of them along old nearly-forgotten interstate highways, they are like old treasures to preserve. Their main feature was carrying a general line of merchandise to remote populated places where mobility was limited and a single shop was sufficient to service the entire community. In the early twentieth century general stores often sold gasoline too.
My latest diorama represents a classic general store depicted in a sixties scene somewhere in the heart of America with many elements easy to spot back then.

49883398362_70f48cc0de_b.jpg

IMG_3386_3000-scaled.jpg

Take a moment to appreciate all the small details that all add up to this vintage scene; the rusted pump abandoned on the ground, the phone cab, soft-drink dispenser, the gumball machine and many others.
The old white-bearded man sitting in his rocking chair keeps watch carefully who arrives helped by his loyal dog. On the left a little shop for quick repairs equipped with different utensils.

All around I added many details like the water tower, the phone box, the gas pump and so on.

IMG_3388_3000-scaled.jpg

IMG_3392_3000-scaled.jpg

IMG_3402_3000-scaled.jpg

I’m very satisfied with this creation even if it’s much better live than depicted by a photo.
It was very funny building this and even more catching the details to insert via period pictures spotted on the web.

Hope you like it!

Edited by Norton74
editing mistakes

Magnificent! Great woodwork on the building elevation, watertank, so many nice details... I just have to keep on looking and looking!

We have an old general store in Maryland. It was called Hyattsville Hardware Co. Now it's a toy store. But the sign from the 1950s is still there. My grandpops also told me that general stores were also common in the 20th century too. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Very nice build! There are so many little details to discover. That old man had better blast that skunk before it gets any closer! :grin:

I love how you did the bird's nest. In fact there are so many nice techniques to spot which makes it a joy to look at it and to discover them!

On 5/20/2020 at 10:03 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Too good ... as always!

Beautiful old-fashioned pump ...and amazing Coke distributor! :wub:

Thank you my friend, very appreciated :)

On 5/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, brimbolet said:

Magnificent! Great woodwork on the building elevation, watertank, so many nice details... I just have to keep on looking and looking!

Thanks a bunch, hope you enjoy spoting all the details ;)

On 5/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Oh wow
BIG smile for this, the details, the chaos, how its hangs together with nails and rope. :pir-love:

Thanks! Very appreciated

On 5/21/2020 at 6:03 PM, electropie said:

Thats gorgeous! The old dude with his shotgun is spot on :laugh:

ah ah, yes the old dude is a rude boy ;)

On 5/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Brandon Pea said:

We have an old general store in Maryland. It was called Hyattsville Hardware Co. Now it's a toy store. But the sign from the 1950s is still there. My grandpops also told me that general stores were also common in the 20th century too. 

Thanks for this story, very appreciated @Brandon Pea

On 5/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, dim_bricks said:

What a lovely build with amazing details, great job !

Thanks a bunch, glad you like it!

On 5/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Very nice build! There are so many little details to discover. That old man had better blast that skunk before it gets any closer! :grin:

ah ah… :)

On 5/21/2020 at 7:50 PM, Jerry McGlade said:

Fantastic job!

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Legonaut said:

A great cloour scheme and nice techniques can i see here!

Thanks! At first I had chosen dark tan/tan as a color combo, then I ventured for an unexpected and unusual yellow/reddish brown combo. And the outcome rocks ;)

18 hours ago, Piraten said:

Amazing job. Love the colours and the feeling. GOOD JOB

Thank you very much @Piraten :)

You never cease to amaze us! I can't stop looking at all the details.

16 hours ago, Jim said:

You never cease to amaze us! I can't stop looking at all the details.

Thanks a bunch @Jim for your kind words, very appreciated! :sweet: