47 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

It has never existed in any other color than black

I thought the same initially, but is has actually also been made in red, DBG, brown, reddish brown, white and yellow! But not in any recent Technic set. Let's not forget that TLG can use any part in any theme...

Still, a color swap pack for any set would be a total waste of TLG's time, capacity, storage space and therefore money...

Edited by Rudivdk

3 hours ago, Jim said:

PROBABLY NOT. I WILL PROBABLY ENJOY THE BUILD AND JUST TAKE SOME PHOTOS. BUT MAYBE I CHANGE MY MIND.

Oh my god my sides

Edited by Bartybum

If ever you want to test your MLCad mettle on an impossible twisted mass of LEGO geometry inspired by Cthulhu's face, this headlight assembly would be it.  I don't know if Uwe Wabra has a degree in geometry, but the University of Copenhagen should give him one as an honorary title.  Through the magic of exact math I can confirm that there are actually some very slightly stressed parts in this assembly.  Given this fact, it's possible that relational CAD software like LDD may not be able to deal with it because it doesn't technically fit.  You'd never notice it in real life; I'm sure it will fit just fine.

I can also confirm that the digital download of the manual has corrected at least one of the errors that Sariel pointed out in the manual during his review.

640x457.jpg

Box 5 proved to be more than I could do in a day with all those tortuous angles, but I got the front end done.  Hopefully I can do the doors tomorrow.  Obviously the panels on the hood are wrong, but that's as close as I could get with existing parts.
800x450.jpg

So the set came the other day and I finally got to build it! Upon finishing it, I tested all the functions and all functions worked fine except for 7th gear in drive. There was so much friction the car couldn't move. (Could have been due to me tinkering with the gears throughout the build). So I tried messing with the gears a bit, but had no success. I checked everything, and everything was assembled correctly. (The shifter was starting to get bad at this time also). I eventually took the whole thing apart and built it carefully again. After this, all speeds worked with minimal friction, but the shifter wasn't working correctly. It was jamming and not working properly 95% of the time. I checked everything again; I built everything correctly and I gave things space to move. Can anyone help me figure out the problem? Surely the rubber bands shouldn't be losing their quality this fast. Maybe it's bad quality parts???

@Blakbird Thanks for the answer, I don't know MLCad, so I assume for the camera setting you need to fiddle with in deeper level menu. Luckily in my daily job we use a CAD software which has hot key to switch perspective/orthographic, so it is very-very convenient, yet doesn't makes my brain itchy. :classic:

Edited by agrof

13 minutes ago, agrof said:

so I assume for the camera setting you need to fiddle with in deeper level menu. 

From what I remember you'd have to specify it inside L3pao (ldraw to povray convertor program) or directly inside the povray textwindow. Either way it is not even close to a hotkey...:classic:

9 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

I thought the same initially, but is has actually also been made in red, DBG, brown, reddish brown, white and yellow! But not in any recent Technic set. Let's not forget that TLG can use any part in any theme...

Still, a color swap pack for any set would be a total waste of TLG's time, capacity, storage space and therefore money...

One must hope that the new parts like the mudguard, the rotor and the wedge panel will be available in other colours in the future... Osprey of course has the two latter in other than lime (black and DBG, respectively) but that still leaves us wanting. Wishbone is already available in black and DBG so one of those colourswaps could be possible some day. At least the wedge panel will probably be used in many colours in the future, although it's anyone's guess if usable colours will be released next year or in 10 years from now...

10 hours ago, Blakbird said:

an impossible twisted mass of LEGO geometry inspired by Cthulhu's face

:laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

One must hope that the new parts like the mudguard, the rotor and the wedge panel will be available in other colours in the future

I don't doubt it. Once TLG goes to the expense of creating a new mould, they try to take advantage of it as much as possible. For example, they even managed to reuse the 42030's bucket, which has a shape specific to Volvo.

7 hours ago, Filthy Fox said:

So the set came the other day and I finally got to build it! Upon finishing it, I tested all the functions and all functions worked fine except for 7th gear in drive. There was so much friction the car couldn't move. (Could have been due to me tinkering with the gears throughout the build). So I tried messing with the gears a bit, but had no success. I checked everything, and everything was assembled correctly. (The shifter was starting to get bad at this time also). I eventually took the whole thing apart and built it carefully again. After this, all speeds worked with minimal friction, but the shifter wasn't working correctly. It was jamming and not working properly 95% of the time. I checked everything again; I built everything correctly and I gave things space to move. Can anyone help me figure out the problem? Surely the rubber bands shouldn't be losing their quality this fast. Maybe it's bad quality parts???

There is a known issue with 20t tan gears which are too wide and rub against liftarms creating too much friction.

Start from those if you have any other spares, especially if have some older ones which work better.

2 hours ago, Mestari said:

There is a known issue with 20t tan gears which are too wide and rub against liftarms creating too much friction.

Start from those if you have any other spares, especially if have some older ones which work better.

How old ones? 

Y'all should replace the red 16t clutch gears with the old style dbg ones as well if you want to reduce friction :wink:

Really makes me wonder why lego changed those parts, one would think that making your technic model function worse by introducing higher friction gears is a no-no

3 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Really makes me wonder why lego changed those parts, one would think that making your technic model function worse by introducing higher friction gears is a no-no

They introduced the red 16t Gears to prevent the goddamn normies that install the clutch gears the wrong way.

But why change the 20t gears? The old lg/lbg gears run an incredible lot better than the new ones...

6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

But why change the 20t gears? The old lg/lbg gears run an incredible lot better than the new ones...

The axle hole in the new version appears to be a lot stronger, which makes it harder to break under high torque.

6 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

The axle hole in the new version appears to be a lot stronger, which makes it harder to break under high torque.

Thats great since you'll need that increased torque to overcome the additional friction in the drivetrain :laugh_hard:

5 hours ago, Mestari said:

My issue isn't with the transmission anymore, it's with the shifting mechanism. I built everything correctly, but it's working terribly and I don't know why. It worked perfectly for the first 20min.

45 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

They introduced the red 16t Gears to prevent the goddamn normies that install the clutch gears the wrong way.

Even older tan and black ones run smooth

30 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

Even older tan and black ones run smooth

Yes they can run smooth.

But from my experience, based on nothing but my feel while building, the older lg/lbg ones run a bit better than black or tan ones.

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Y'all should replace the red 16t clutch gears with the old style dbg ones as well if you want to reduce friction :wink:

This is an assertion I haven't seen before (or just missed). Do you know the reason why the red 16t clutch gears increase friction?

12 minutes ago, astyanax said:

This is an assertion I haven't seen before (or just missed). Do you know the reason why the red 16t clutch gears increase friction?

The new style has the clutch entry on both sides, so one side will be lined up against a liftarm and couse additional friction. The old style only has the clutch entry on only one side, so the side that will face the liftarm will only touch in the very middle. The old szyle just has less contact surface that can cause friction. 

5 hours ago, astyanax said:

Left is old, right is new.

300x200.jpg

I'm not so sure of this assertion. I don't think the so-called new mould is all that new, and I've got plenty from that mould which work fine.

Rather, I suspect the mould is worn out, and that's causing the part to be a bit too large. The reason for this is that I've also been having problems with the part LEGO numbers 6261375, the 90° rotated pinhole and axle hole. Both the ones from 42111 and those from 42107 have been giving me trouble to push axles through the axle end.