9 minutes ago, grum64 said:

But it's pink! Penny has her own building table in my shed so her pink bricks don't contaminate the rest *huh*

But she is little princess, and pink is color of love and that could mean that she loves you :wink:

23 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Hmmmm... Your sincerity isn't entirely convincing :sceptic:

The emoticon kinda gave it away, didn't it?! :innocent:

51 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

But she is little princess, and pink is color of love and that could mean that she loves you :wink:

She is our Little Princess but above all she’s a beautiful, very well behaved and mannered 6yr old little girl :wub: .

Just now, grum64 said:

She is our Little Princess but above all she’s a beautiful, very well behaved and mannered 6yr old little girl :wub: .

And that is the greatest richness of all, you should be very proud. I know who is "guilty" for that :wink:

Regards

1 hour ago, Jim said:

The emoticon kinda gave it away, didn't it?! :innocent:

I'm sure you wept as you typed :cry2:. Here, have tissue...

download.jpeg

My copy arrived this morning. I proceeded right to the build. And the build feels like, the first 1/5th is for the actual function. The remaining 4/5th are for the decorations. I feel so impatient. my interest suffers from big decadance.

But I still like this set. I'm a big sucker for appealing aesthetics.

started building mine this evening, and i feel like Lego is being a bit sadistic here, we have plenty of small sets these days with numbered bags, yet here i have the biggest set ive ever built (i dont think ive ever gotten close to 1500 pieces), and its a case of "throw it all on the table and figure it out", with 90% of parts being either black or white as well... takes a lot of searching.

Also, i knew the axle design on this is the same as 42039 and 42077 beforehand, but i still cant help being a tiny bit disappointed.

This thing better look awesome by the time ive finished it :P

10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

started building mine this evening, and i feel like Lego is being a bit sadistic here, we have plenty of small sets these days with numbered bags, yet here i have the biggest set ive ever built (i dont think ive ever gotten close to 1500 pieces), and its a case of "throw it all on the table and figure it out", with 90% of parts being either black or white as well... takes a lot of searching.

Also, i knew the axle design on this is the same as 42039 and 42077 beforehand, but i still cant help being a tiny bit disappointed.

This thing better look awesome by the time ive finished it :P

Yup. I agree with this. I made this comment either earlier in this thread or on the actual 42096 thread.  Too many pieces for the bags to not be numbered.  

Either way, I wished I liked this set.  But I do not.  I received it as a gift - I did not buy it.  Oh well, I guess it will make a good parts pack. 

I did the same thing for this set as I did for 42083.  A cut-away.  Not because there is anything interesting, but to show how vacuous this set it.  And you will notice, this is WITH both a Buwizz (behind front tires), M motor for steering, and a L motor (lower-left of fake engine), for drive in it and it is still this empty.  In fact, a study of the chassis reveals one, only ONE, 11.5 double bent liftarm in the center that is providing any real angles for structural integrity.  Everything else is horizontal building with 90 degree angles. 

In fact, I remember 8070 getting a lot of flak - and to be honest, I loved the way 8070 looked.  I thought it looked every bit as good as this set.  Not a Porsche, I get it, but it looked great for like a Corvette-type of look.  AND..... it had several functions.  So honestly, I don't really understand this set at all.  But that is just my opinion.  :classic:

merged_smallfoursquare_small

It makes a nice sporty, coolish white-black-red eye candy display piece with a face constantly looking up at me in a perpetual expression of intrigue and curiosity.

I got this for a steal (€89) as a parts pack. Any idea on how to remove the prints from the wheel arches without damaging the oh-so-precious (snort) ABS?

31 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I got this for a steal (€89) as a parts pack. Any idea on how to remove the prints from the wheel arches without damaging the oh-so-precious (snort) ABS?

Here you can read a little bit about it...

I hope it is not violating of @Jim's review topic.

Just now, I_Igor said:

I hope it is not violating of @Jim's review topic.

No worries :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

No worries :thumbup:

Thanks;

In reality it is very difficult to have clear limits and there are gray zone everywhere so it is always better to be safe than sorry :wink:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Here you can read a little bit about it...

You always come to my rescue - thank you, my dear friend :wub:

On 4/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, suffocation said:

You always come to my rescue - thank you, my dear friend :wub:

That's at least I can do. You are always welcome.

Edited by I_Igor

9 hours ago, Yevhen said:

Can't imagine what would make me buy the empty car even for $100...

After nearly an hour of building, i feel conflicted about the purchase i must admit, building the same old axles ive done before in 42039 and 42077 (yet worse, considering the rear suspension arms being pairs of half width liftarms, giving much more play), and realizing all ive got left in terms of functions is the fake engine...

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It makes a nice sporty, coolish white-black-red eye candy display piece with a face constantly looking up at me in a perpetual expression of intrigue and curiosity.

That is what got me to buy it TBH, im a big WEC/racing fan, and 42056 was just a bit too expensive for my tastes. I know this lacks the gearbox, but considering it is half the price, ties in with endurance racing and will be a showpiece anyway, i felt that looking past the empty interior was warranted. It should look pretty good on display next to 42039 and 42000

19 hours ago, vectormatic said:

...all ive got left in terms of functions is the fake engine...

And even the fake engine has a very simple drivetrain, if I understand correctly.

2 hours ago, Yevhen said:

And even the fake engine has a very simple drivetrain, if I understand correctly. 

Indeed, it has a 12 tooth gear on the crankshaft, which meshes with a 20 tooth gear, which drives the differential. There are more gears in the steering linkage.

Built for another hour last night, put in the engine, finished the rear suspension, steering and the seat, along with some structure buildup. By now ive got all the functions (save for opening doors), and could pop the wheels on and go for a "drive" so to speak. The rest will all be body work/structure, which TBH i dont really mind right now, real cars are loads of structure and relatively little actual oily bits, so to speak.

What i do mind, is the laughably bad steering linkage. Putting the final gear in the sequence while trying to keep the rack and wheel aligned is fiddly, the rack isnt properly held down in place, and the extra gears add a lot of backlash to an already loose feeling mechanism (due to play in the front suspension and steering tie rods), the gearing ratio between wheel and rack might make for an interesting look (move the wheels side to side and the steering wheel moves very quickly), but i think playability wise it is a poor decision, then again, so is not having a HoG control.

I did very much enjoy building a bit more though, and i can look past the inaccuracies compared to the real car for now (allthough the autistic car-nut in me wants a real boxer engine and proper macpherson struts), i can even forgive the fact that they just re-use the same old axle designs for a third (or more? Dont know if the 42039/42077 front axle has been used in more sets), time, but the fact that in this incarnation, they actively made those axles somehow worse kind of annoys me, steering was a solved problem in lego technic, cars like 8880 even fit 4 wheel steering into a small package then todays sets, and with better and more solid mechanisms then we get today.

Ill try to not hijack this thread with a live-blog of my snails-pace build of this set, and i realize im rather schyzophrenic about the set (i like building a car, i hate the technical details/design), i hope you guys dont mind :P

I just finished building it (took about five hours, spread out over as many evenings), so i figured i'd give my impressions

The good: I very much like the body work, it looks like a proper 911 RSR, building the structure/body after the chassis/axles were done was a nice experience as well. On the shelf, it is an absolutely impressive car as well, suddenly 42000 likes very small and thin. I also really like the details such as the antennas, ventilation tube, windscreen wiper etc..

The bad: I dislike the lack of features, i know a racing car only has so many things it does, but simple things like a moving windscreen wiper (maybe linked to the driveline with a clutch for turning the wiper on/off?), or more ambitiously a jack system would have made for a more interesting technic set. Furthermore im not thrilled with the ride height, it looks almost like an offroad car, dropping it a bit would make it much nicer. My only gripe with the body is the headlights, but those should be fixed easily

The ugly: lack of features aside, there are quite a lot of flaws with this set, the suspension is extremely wobly, the steering is laughably bad, there is so much slack in the system you can rotate the wheel more then a quarter turn before the front wheels respond, that is, if you can reach the steering wheel at all. Furthermore i found the instructions sub-par, i found at least two instances of parts disappearing and reappearing between steps, or showing up before you add them. Also, when adding a rear wheel arch, it shows you a front wheel arch in the required parts section. There are also some steps where the perspective of the picture makes it very hard to see where you need to connect a module to the build. That together with the lack of numbered bags kind of make the build a bit more annoying then it should be.

Overall: this set does what i wanted it too, be a cut-price porsche for display purposes, the way i see it, i got 80% of the GT3RS for 40% of the price. If you want something that is a real technic supercar though, stay away, save up for the Chiron, or dust off 8880

I have read and seen a lot of reviews of this set, including all posts in this thread, youtube reviews, and reviews on other sites. I have never seen so much confusion as to what would be correct and incorrect details! This includes:

- Color of the headlights - they are not supposed to be yellow. GTE cars changed to clear headlights for the 2018 season.

- Placement of the fuel cap - it can be changed to accommodate the type of pit.

- Type of suspension - it is double wishbones all around, not MacPherson.

- Placement of exhaust - Porsche changed the placement to the middle in the 2017 season.

- Height, width, overhangs, and wheelbase not being in scale - Only the overhangs are tragically inaccurate.

- Wheel size - They are actually in the correct scale compared to the length. Only the wheel arches are way too big.

- Ride height - The height and ride height of the car is to scale with the length.

I ended up making an in-debt video review with all of these details, including the exact measurements and comparison to other LEGO models of the same car:

Please note that after the review I went back to measure the height of the steering wheel. You are all right. It should be placed 1 stud higher.