Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Actually I saw an image of him with the helmet on and it does have hair on the back. The Dumbledore hair piece just goes over it. It has that braid in the back like the old one did

Good catch! I never would have noticed it had you not pointed it out, but there's the back braid, clear as day!

It's really cool that the Dumbledore hair goes over it - It's about time a minifigure takes advantage of the big hollow that hairpiece leaves between it and the torso.

Screenshot_20230207_201350_Instagram.jpg

Well, Rivendell looks amazing! It really does look beautiful, and captures the feel of Rivendell wonderfully. All the new molds and prints are amazing, and to me seem to hint to more sets in the future. All the details like the shard Narsil, the paintings, tiles, and Bilbo’s book are amazing. I really don’t have any issues with the figures, and it is great to see so many of them. I especially love the crazy Bilbo face. The landscaping, trees, structures and river all look great as well. Really is an awesome (Though expensive) set.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

The small roof has 88 tiles (44 on each side), and the main roof plus the side section has around 450. How'd you get 700?

I think it was the angle I was at I didn't notice the middle section of the roof was missing, so I just counted across and up and down, but missing the big hole. haha

Just now, Maple said:

I think it was the angle I was at I didn't notice the middle section of the roof was missing, so I just counted across and up and down, but missing the big hole. haha

Valid. 

36 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Actually I saw an image of him with the helmet on and it does have hair on the back. The Dumbledore hair piece just goes over it. It has that braid in the back like the old one did

Oh that's great! I take it back.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Do we think that Arwen and the female background elf will also have the printed sitting down slopes like Elrond and Gandalf ?

I'm assuming your talking about the blond one.  I guess it is a female looking at the pictures now I thought it was going to be one of the 2 blacksmiths from the scene in ROTK  but I guess not.  

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

In the armoury/forge room under the gazebo there are 3 identical swords in a row. Does anyone know what exact weapon they are based on? Because ive heard people calling them elf swords but they almost look more jaggedy and orclike to me. Admittedly it's kinda hard to see them properly as they only seem to appear in that shot in that room under the arch. 

And if they are Orc swords that would suggest that they weren't made for this set but were included just because they are part of the new weapon pack and so must be included with the others. This would obviously suggest that they were made with another set in mind. 

I think that they are Arwens sword.  But that's just a guess at this point.  

I think the set is great and can't wait to get it.  I find the discussion over the price weird when you look at themes like the Monkey kid and especially any licensed stuff.  The price seems fine to me.  I think the set has some great details.  The new fern piece is wonderful.  All the new molded weapons are great.  The roof looks great with all the different colors like the movie.  I really like the design and the playability of the set.  

Edited by zoth33

5 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I cant say whether its considered one element or not, but its definitelly the one bagged batch same as Ninjago weapons or the City tools etc. I am wandering whether it includes the shards of Narsil as well or if the Narsil is its own mould. Also how many weaopons are in one batch? My guess is Boromir sward, Aragorn sword, elven sword, dwarwen axe and Sting all twice. Lets jope we get two batches at least in the set ;)

Yeah, accessory packs like these are generally treated as one element, since all the parts are pressed off the same mold and then bagged. It's basically the modern equivalent to how many smaller accessory pieces used to come on a sprue (like the old "tool wheels"), allowing designers to introduce several part shapes for the cost of just one new mold. It's just that nowadays, LEGO punches the parts off the sprue before packaging them so they can recycle the leftover plastic.

I also suspect that the fern mold (the other non-minifigure mold from this set) was designed for another theme like Friends or City and simply happened to show up here first, since if it were designed specifically for this set I'd have expected LEGO to call more attention to it in the press release in the part where they talked about all the new weapons.

After watching Ashnflash's video the other swords are Arwens sword from the movie and it looks great.  

Just a thought,

What if we get a set to represent each book title over the next few years?

2023 - Fellowship of the Ring - The new Rivendell set as this is where the fellowship started

2024 - The Two Towers - The prototype Barad Dur leaked from the Survey as this is the tower we have yet to get from LEGO and doubles to give us the lord of the rings, Sauron

2025 - Return of the King - This is purely speculation but Minas Tirith as this is where Aragorn returns to become king

Perfectly represents each book/film with a set which also just so happens to be the locations we have asked for and wanted the most.  I wonder if we will see a set for the Hobbit.  Hopefully some minifigure series to get more characters down the road as well.

While I think it is less likely to happen, the bridge of Khazad Dum with Gandalf and Durin's Bane would work well as a diorama set.

19 minutes ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

Just a thought,

2023 - Fellowship of the Ring - The new Rivendell set as this is where the fellowship started

2024 - The Two Towers - The prototype Barad Dur leaked from the Survey as this is the tower we have yet to get from LEGO and doubles to give us the lord of the rings, Sauron

2025 - Return of the King - This is purely speculation but Minas Tirith as this is where Aragorn returns to become king

Perfectly represents each book/film with a set which also just so happens to be the locations we have asked for and wanted the most.  I wonder if we will see a set for the Hobbit.  Hopefully some minifigure series to get more characters down the road as well.

While I think it is less likely to happen, the bridge of Khazad Dum with Gandalf and Durin's Bane would work well as a diorama set.

I just need some more LOTR sets to come out this year. I'm off to college soon and if they make a POTC comeback and LOTR comeback my student loans will be in tears and so will I 🤣

29 minutes ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

I wonder if we will see a set for the Hobbit.

I think it's fairly likely in the next few years, since a D2C Bag End has been one of the most desired LEGO Tolkien sets for years and that set would work much better themed after The Hobbit.

34 minutes ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

Just a thought,

I had that same thought and it would make a lot of sense, though covering the key characters within single big scenes gets more difficult with each instalment.

Minas Tirith seems especially tricky to me. Even with a set as large as $500, it's still either going to be basically a microscale exterior with perhaps minifigure-compatible rooms inside, or very playset-y inside and out, which then might not be attractive. LEGO has done plenty of weird mashups of scales before (see that Jurassic Park gates with Minifigure scenes built in for example), but it still seems difficult.

And where would characters like Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn and even Saruman fit in? Would they throw Saruman into a Two Tower Bara-dur set? Would the others be in the Return of the King set even though they were only outside Minas Tirith?

I’m honestly most pumped about the new elements lol! I remember how badly I wanted the 2012 sets to include Anduril / Narsil and was so peeved that they made a new mold for sting and the ring but nothing for the second most important weapon in middle earth. So having that is SO GREAT! Plus the new axes and the standard swords look great too! Even sting got a bit of a upgrade.

But here’s what I’m wondering most:

Will there be a standard Anduril, non broken? I REALLY hope so. Wouldn’t make sense if they didn’t since they went through all that trouble, but lego is crazy sometimes.

Will there be a Glamdring? It’s not as distinct or unique looking, so I could see Lego passing on this but again since they went through the trouble of all these new molds I hope they do.

32 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

And where would characters like Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn... fit in?

The obvious answer is an eventual D2C Helm's Deep. After all, while they might start with one set per book, if these continue to sell well they'll continue to make sets and there's an abundance of iconic locales to make as huge D2Cs. I could see a $300-ish Helm's Deep coming in to replace the Lion Knight's Castle in a few years when that retires.

Honestly y'all? Overnight I've grown very bitter about this set.

When you look at the original sets you could get the whole fellowship, and a bunch of additional figures for less than €200 worth of sets, now we got to pay more than double for a set they've massively overpriced just because they can? Because it's the only thing they chose to offer?

Seriously reconsidering if I want this set at all. Sure it would be nice to finally complete my fellowship after all these years, but this is about principle and sending a message with my money that this direction LEGO is heading in is not one I want to follow.

34 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

The obvious answer is an eventual D2C Helm's Deep. After all, while they might start with one set per book, if these continue to sell well they'll continue to make sets and there's an abundance of iconic locales to make as huge D2Cs. I could see a $300-ish Helm's Deep coming in to replace the Lion Knight's Castle in a few years when that retires.

I consider Helms deep more probable than Minas Tirith. I can see them (TLG) nake a decent D2C 18+ Helms deep in 350-400 USD price point with around 20 figs including 1 horse. As for Minas Tirith, its more likely to be either microscale with Gondorian soldier / Citadel guard and Aragorn as a King or as a part of the battlememts - Gate along with part of the wall, Grond and few attackers and defenders. It would be nice to get one big set a year and meanwhile some smaller sets to fill the gaps between them. Overall I consider this theme more adult and collectible like rather than a playset thing. 

14 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

Honestly y'all? Overnight I've grown very bitter about this set.

When you look at the original sets you could get the whole fellowship, and a bunch of additional figures for less than €200 worth of sets, now we got to pay more than double for a set they've massively overpriced just because they can? Because it's the only thing they chose to offer?

Seriously reconsidering if I want this set at all. Sure it would be nice to finally complete my fellowship after all these years, but this is about principle and sending a message with my money that this direction LEGO is heading in is not one I want to follow.

I partially understand and agree with you, but then again, this set seems to be more of a collectible thing aimed for adults and core fans. Those sets back in 2012-2013 was more focused on play aspects. For some resson it was cut down before they cozld complete the story. Maybe this time the whole concept would be better. 

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

And where would characters like Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn and even Saruman fit in? Would they throw Saruman into a Two Tower Bara-dur set? Would the others be in the Return of the King set even though they were only outside Minas Tirith?

I think Eowyn can easily fit in with Minas Tirith. She's present in enough scenes there to be included based on either the Battle of Pelennor, Houses of Healing or Aragorn's Coronation.

Depending on the success of the theme's revival they could really squeeze quite a few sets out of her. She'd be an obvious inclusion for both Helms Deep and Edoras getting the D2C treatment and the Witch-King Battle really deserves a set all of its own.

3 minutes ago, wesker said:

...and the Witch-King Battle really deserves a set all of its own.

Good point. If they ever decide to do LOTR quote dioramas, that scene should be near the top of the list (Bridge of Khazad-dum is #1, of course).

9 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I realise that LEGO has said that further LotR sets are contingent on Rivendell selling well, but I strongly suspect that Barad-dûr is already in the works regardless.

I have reason to believe that some of the LEGO Ambassadors, i.e. select influencers, have already seen it or have had its release confirmed by LEGO.

The leaked image of it only reinforces that belief and the fact that the survey it leaked from was about pricing, not features, makes me doubly sure.

A Barad-dûr set including a Sauron minifigure will be released. That’s my strong suspicion.

Of course it is in the works, this was finished before September after all, but do not think they show it to LAN in some time. However they will not necessarily release it even if they make it, but I guess this will sell a lot so I guess a big LOTR set will show up in a years time:shrug_oh_well:

8 hours ago, hungryhobbit said:

I'm looking forward to purchasing this set on day 1! I am surprised that they did not include any horses in the set, although I could easily stick a couple in from other sets. I do appreciate the new molds, and look forward to displaying in all it's grandeur!

8 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

There should be Bill the ponny to complete the Fellowship of the ring :)

Animals like horses are apparently expensive to include in sets so I guess since they could get a way with not including them here they used that budget on other things. Hopefully we will get some horses in future LOTR sets :wink:

8 hours ago, Triceron said:

Kudos to those who've seen and known about it for not saying a word.  I think this has been kept as a nice surprise, even in the face of all the rumors that had been floating around about it.  I don't think much was known about this internally being shown to certain people, as far back as Sept last year, at least.

They sign a NDA and I guess most of them are serious fan media, what do they have to earn on telling about stuff like this? However some are leaking pictures from LAN and several of them has been banned the last couple of years:wink: 

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I also suspect that the fern mold (the other non-minifigure mold from this set) was designed for another theme like Friends or City and simply happened to show up here first, since if it were designed specifically for this set I'd have expected LEGO to call more attention to it in the press release in the part where they talked about all the new weapons.

Yes I do not think they would use budget on a part like that, I a sure it will pop up in some other sets soon :classic:

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

. I could see a $300-ish Helm's Deep coming in to replace the Lion Knight's Castle in a few years when that retires.

I really hope they do not replace any Castles sets with LOTR now or in the future! Castle sets should replace Castle sets, so I hope they manage to keep both themes going at the same time. The Castle medieval village is in the works so hopefully that is happening next in the Castle line. I like this LOTR set a lot and happy that the fans finally have got the theme back, but I like Castle sets more and we have had a decade without sets as well until recently :def_shrug:

How are the mushroom pieces attached to that tree??

Edited by kevkipo

Massively impressed with Rivendell. I’m a bit disappointed with the price point but all Lego has shot up so not surprising.

Love the new fellowship figures. Having seen comparison images on Instagram I think they’ve done a good job.

Only slight annoyance is Bilbo not having classic hobbit hair, Sam’s hair colour and Aragorns outfit. They just can’t seem to get his clothes right (other than the in his Return of the King “for Frodo” number).

Will wait on this a bit as not interested in Brickheadz GWP but hopeful this theme continues. Really would like an official sauron figure… and “ISILDUR!!!”

4 hours ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

Just a thought,

I love this idea, it would totally make sense ! Let us pray that you are right :-)

11 hours ago, JimBaggins said:

Minifigure comparison of the old ones vs. the new: 

Rivendell minifigure comparison

The bottom is mostly the original ones, but improved and customized. I don't have an old Bilbo, so I replaced him with Gollum. The two elves and Glion are custom. 

Thanks for this nice comparison! The new minifigs are great, with 3 exceptions: Arwen's face (better in the past), Legolas' hair (better in the past) and... why the hell did they switch the hair colors between Sam and Merry???

How is no one talking about Lothlórien? We didn't get any sets from the old wave and this location has so many iconic scenes. I want to see Galadriel in demon form :kahuka:

Same with Bree - interesting location with an amazing Nazgûl scene

Edited by ddavid

Well mostly because if we are limited to one big set per year (Rivendell 2023 and Barad-Dur 2024) i think there are locations that will be made before Lothlorien or Bree like Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep or Bag End. If we actually get a full wave that changes everything of course.