Capt Wolf

A resolution to the Prio / Sea Rats conflict?

Willem Guilder, Admius Legistrad of Eslandola’s Colonial Council, could not believe that he was still in King’s Harbour, months after the Grand Ball. Living in a rented manor house, he now found himself working out of a room that had previously been a small chapel. Perhaps he should pray to return home, he mused to himself.

Guilder had read through the latest news on the Prio situation. When all this had started a few months ago, it appeared to be a routine case of some pirates making off with the small Prio trade ship Palmetto. But then Prio had retaliated, sinking one of the pirates and capturing another. Bastion then detained two Prio ships in their port, claiming unpaid bar expenses by the crews. And now another Prio ship had been captured, this time the Prince Alex, flagship of the Duchy’s trade fleet. Eslandola naval reports advised traders to avoid the South Prio Sea if at all possible, and prominent Eslandola citizens were throwing fuel on the fire in both directions.

As the director of a trade company, Guilder knew this sort of stuff was bad for business. Piracy is always part of the equation when sailing the seas, but an escalation wouldn’t help anyone. And while Lord Prio may have the right to feel aggrieved, he is not without blame and risks a fight that could send his fledgling nation into ruin. Balance needed to be restored. So Guilder sat down at his desk – a table, really – in his makeshift office in this rented manor house on a Corrish island miles from his Eslandolan home, and penned two identical letters:

guilder_in_kh_3.jpg

To
Lord Alexander Prio, Grand Duke of Isle Romantica
and
Authorities of the Settlement of Bastion, and the Happy Bastion Barfly Club

Dear Sirs,

I have watched with much dismay these past months as your disputes at sea have inflamed passions throughout the region. I write to you in the hope that, as a third party outside the particulars of your encounters, I may offer mediation service to restore the Brick Seas to the status quo of some months earlier.

As such, here are the details of my proposal:

- The Prio ships currently detained in Bastion, the Peacock and Pearl, be allowed to leave port and return home.

- The ship Palmetto be recognized as a legal prize, now property of the Sea Rats.

- The status of the trade ship Prince Alex, as well as the status of funds owed in Bastion for actions of the Prio crews, be determined in a hearing to be held in a neutral location, judged by a panel of both Sea Rats and others.

I offer this as a means of bringing hostilities to an end, while allowing both parties to plead their case and be heard. I anxiously await your replies.

Humbly yours,

wm_guilder_sig.jpg

Willem Guilder

---

When finished, Guilder summoned one his personal guard into the makeshift office.

“Sir?” inquired the Eslandolan swordsman.

“I have letters here of the utmost importance. See to it that these go out on the fastest ships available heading to Alexport and Bastion.”

“Bastion, sir? I’m not aware of any ships in port headed there.”

“Yes, of course, you’re right. Well, then, I’ll have to charter one. Take this letter for Alexport and get it on its way. I’ll make arrangements for the Bastion letter myself.”

guilder_in_kh_2a.jpg

“Very good, sir,” and the guard was off on his task.

As Guilder got up from the desk, he thought to himself, “Maybe I’ll charter myself a ship back to Weelond while I’m at it…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Leadership and the Sea Rats have agreed to resolve the Prio conflict with a good old-fashioned BoBS Build-Off! We’ll need builders for each side, exact number and subject of the builds still to be determined. Among the issues that will be decided are how much, if any, of the “bar tab” should be paid, and whether the Prince Alex should be awarded to the Sea Rats as a legal prize or returned to Prio. Details for the build-off will be posted as soon as they are finalized.

So no war? Boo! :pir_mad:

But some silly Eslandoodlans wasted 8000DB already, which I can live with... :thumbup:

[/IC]

Interesting turn, I am looking forward to the "duel". And a neat little vignette to go with the story, well done!

To: Willem Guilder, King's Harbour, Cocovia
And: Prince Alexander Prio, Alexport, Grand Dutchy of Prio

From: Cathy Derr, captaining the Narwal, port of Fatu Hiva, île d'Or                                                                                                 19 July 618

My dear lords,

I send you this letter on behave of the Special Searats captain's council regarding the conflict with the Grand Dutchy of Prio.
After several debates weighing the options on how the fair nation of collective free-states and ports together known as the Searats would proceed.
We will take up on your proposal. 
Without awaiting the answer of the Prince of Prio I declare that the ships
Peacock and Pearl flying the Ensign of the Grand Dutchy of Prio are free to sail from the port of Bastion whenever it suits them. 

By publicising this letter publicly I would like to thank all the allies of the Searats who where and are ready to stand by our side in case the Grand Dutcy of Prio does not accept the proposals so generously made by the Admius Legistrate of the Eslandonian Colonial Council. 

Fair winds,
Cathy Derr, act.Capt. of the Narwal, Chairman of the Special Searats captain's council regarding the conflict with the Grand Dutchy of Prio

Note to all Captains on the Brick Seas, the Port of Bastion is a open free port, free and taxfree to visit by any ships.

--
OOC, I've taken my second character for this, as she is into this conflict with the Narwal, and my main character is still locked in an amcra.

Edited by Bart

5 hours ago, Drunknok said:

So no war? Boo! :pir_mad:

But some silly Eslandoodlans wasted 8000DB already, which I can live with... :thumbup:

Wasted, wasted wasted :p

A loan is never wasted :p we see it as an investment :D

7 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Oh no, we lost almost a months worth of income :pir-laugh:

I really like your stained glass window here!  Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this build-off too!

3 hours ago, Legostone said:

I remember one of our glorious leaders earlier ranting on and on and on about inflation... But no-no, that is not a problem in BoBS... :grin:

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Wasted, wasted wasted :p

A loan is never wasted :p we see it as an investment :D

3 hours ago, Legostone said:

Feel free to send a comparable amount to the WTC. I would also not complain about donations of real money. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I remember one of our glorious leaders earlier ranting on and on and on about inflation... But no-no, that is not a problem in BoBS... :grin:

Well if the glorious leaders are going to compensate for inflation, I'm starting a union so we can strike for more salaries! 

To whom would Guilder pray? Has he ever expressed any religious beliefs?

I like the continuation of the rented manor house location. Hopefully it can get some use in the Tristano Bucci portion of our AMRCA.

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

Yeah, remember buying a class 4 vessel for 60 DB early in the game?

Just now, Legostone said:

Yeah, remember buying a class 4 vessel for 60 DB early in the game?

I remember a class 5 being the highest class! 

30 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

To whom would Guilder pray? Has he ever expressed any religious beliefs?

Sol and Luna. See in particular his charity in the Merrynight mini-challenge.

33 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I like the continuation of the rented manor house location.

Glad you liked that!

No please! Can't you settle your conflict with an expensive and highly destructive war? :pir-tongue:

To Captain Cathy Derr of the Narwhal, 

Trusting that all parties involved will act in a manner to uphold their honor and that the brave and valiant Sons of the Grand Duchy of Prio may exit this conflict with their lives, liberties, and honors intact, we shall cooperate and participate in the negotiations set forth by Willem Guilder. 

Alexander Prio

Grand Duke of the Grand Duchy of Prio, Lord of Isle Romantica

2 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

Trusting that all parties involved will act in a manner to uphold their honor

Somebody has never been dealing ith Sea Rats here, eh? :roflmao: