16 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Saberwing40k While I agree with your assessment, I wonder where could the handpump be placed without making the vehicle look weird :grin: 

Same as 8460 B model. That didn't look weird either, and it worked like a charm.

I'd rather have a hand pumped model that's 20 euro cheaper, and the motor set be available for who like to motorize it (customizability and combinability - isn't that the idea of Technic?), than another battery box and medium motor for another 20 euro that I don't need.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:06 PM, Bublehead said:

What I find amusing is everyone hates the color scheme and the Disney-esque vomit/barf but rest assured, this is only because we are mostly AFOLs and not CFOLs.  If you ask a child does this look cool, they are going to say it looks awesome.  Children are not hung up on symmetry or color coordination, and as a matter of fact, have any of you walked through a toy store lately and really looked around? It is almost eye gouging the way they market toys to kids... the more the colors clash the better seems to be the rule of thumb. 

I do not share that opinion. Lego is doing a bright color scheme badly. Also, this does NOT show up in any other Lego theme. Or, for that matter, any other toy line. (I worked in a toy store, trust me.) Most Technic fans have actually outgrown City, and having Technic sets dumbed down is insulting to them, and us. A kid will say that anything is cool. So, I do not buy your argument. You can be okay with the color scheme, but do not attempt to justify it.

13 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Yes, TBH, the color vomit adds a little character from my view. That's just what they want sold.

And also, this is something we complained about "too little colors" now we don't want them?

No, what we want is more parts available in different colors, not a set with colors selected at random. Also, they still have not addressed what we really want, which is a set with a wide variety of parts in a new color.

Also, @Erik Leppen, I could not agree with you more. Make like 42053, and put the additional budget into making the set better. Now, I'm wondering, why did Lego decide to have only two pneumatic functions?:sceptic:

Edited by Saberwing40k

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Also, @Erik Leppen, I could not agree with you more. Make like 42053, and put the additional budget into making the set better. Now, I'm wondering, why did Lego decide to have only two pneumatic functions?:sceptic:

Perhaps this model as a whole is a teaser, because of the new pneumatic switches. I mean, TLG won’t develop a new switch to only use it in a medium sized model, so I suspect next year’s flagship will contain a lot more of them. Until then, that new switch might persuade a lot of people to buy this set, despite of only two pneumatic functions and other (debatable?) shortcomings.

4 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

but do not attempt to justify it.

But I did attempt to justify it.  And your response is noted, however I have a right to my opinion.

I remember having seen a 3D view of the new pneumatic switch somewhere on Eurobricks, but can't remember where... Anyone a clue? 

I've just spotted sth new. RIght between the white crane arm and the green liftarm of the base, there is a LBG liftarm pointing away. THe liftarm seems to be in the same direction with the cabin. I think we can expect some creative liftarm linkages in which turning the central articulation will result in steering the front wheel row and the cabin simultaneously.

Just got the official catalog in a hungarian toyshop. 

New pneumatic valve seems great but the functions are boring. Beside the steering there is only raising and lowering the arm and grabbing the tree. It looks that saw doesnt work.

foresth.jpg

Nice find! :thumbup:

Woah, that's some unconvincing motion blur on the saw! Maybe it turns as the log pushes against it when the claw closes, making it 'slice' the log.

17 minutes ago, menad said:

It looks that saw doesnt work.

Jep, as written down several times: The saw doesn’t work. 

But thanks for the picture. 

L motor just for compressor? *huh*

Also is front axle pendular, or is it optical illusion due to cab rotation?

Edited by andythenorth

12 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Also is front axle pendular

I was thinking the same thing, so I think it is, yes.

19 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

L motor just for compressor? 

Yes

@menad What is the third manual function in the three boxes in the right?

@Maaboo35 In the first box in the right, the crane arm and the model look different. I believe it's the B model in the form of Ponsse Buffalo forwarder I mentioned in the 2018 topic.

Weird that this has an L-motor given all the other pneumatic compressors (with the exception of 42043, which also had direct drive operations) have had M-motors.

Not that I'm complaining - would much rather another L than an M!

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In the first box in the right, the crane arm and the model look different. I believe it's the B model in the form of Ponsse Buffalo forwarder I mentioned in the 2018 topic.

+1, looks like a forwarder to me.  B model might turn out better for play value, wouldn't be the first time :classic:  Saw blade on the harvester probably has more appeal in the box art eh?

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Maaboo35 In the first box in the right, the crane arm and the model look different. I believe it's the B model in the form of Ponsse Buffalo forwarder I mentioned in the 2018 topic.

Yep, you're right. I can see the struts on the bed that would contain the logs. The cab is also a different shape.

I echo the thought that L motor seem redundant. An M motor would have been enough. Maybe this set is intended to be a part pack, with a bunch of rare parts and newly colored parts.

This thing doesn't even need a motor. Replace the cylinders with two large LA and one small LA on the grabber and it could still function the same.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Replace the cylinders with two large LA and one small LA on the grabber and it could still function the same.

The pneumatics do look shoehorned in. I like the fact that we're getting new pneumatic parts, but this really doesn't feel like the model to showcase them.

Correct me if I am wrong, the catalogue seems to say the cabin rotates by 270° ? With pneumatic pipes inside the turntable, right? This could be the reason there are only a few pneumatic functions, imho

2 hours ago, Fabiuz said:

Correct me if I am wrong, the catalogue seems to say the cabin rotates by 270° ? With pneumatic pipes inside the turntable, right? This could be the reason there are only a few pneumatic functions, imho

42043 route 8 hoses for 4 cylinders through the turntable with no problem.

On 23/05/2018 at 11:55 AM, jrx said:

I very much like the fact that there is an axle hole through the valve. Makes it much easier to have remote control of the pneumatic functions when you're building something. Just couple it to an EV3 motor and you can exactly set the valve to the desired position. This should make building remotely controlled, pneumatically operated excavators etc. much easier. Or if you combine it with a second EV3 motor you could build automatically extending outriggers that first go out and when reaching the end position the pneumatic valve is switched to lower the outriggers (and stop the outriggers from extending further). I think such a construction could be much more sturdy then the one that is used on the 42009.

Yes, precisely, but there are 3 cylinders here already. Adding more functions would require more space below and above the turntable as well, not just the hoses. The Arocs had a massive frame compared to this Harvester. I like this one a lot, btw. I do not care about technicolor :)

Edited by Fabiuz

On 5/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, rener said:

Perhaps this model as a whole is a teaser, because of the new pneumatic switches. I mean, TLG won’t develop a new switch to only use it in a medium sized model, so I suspect next year’s flagship will contain a lot more of them. Until then, that new switch might persuade a lot of people to buy this set, despite of only two pneumatic functions and other (debatable?) shortcomings.

I will get 2, because I need valves, pumps, cylinders, tubing and motors. It's a great deal if one needs those parts.

I think the most interesting part of the set is that it uses L-Motor. This is just a guess but probably new valves require some kind of different airflow pattern from the pump. For example if the valve is set to minimal airflow then it puts more stress on the pump to squeeze all that air through. Which makes me wonder how the motor is geared.

Another possibility is that L-motor are kinda rare and you can't get them in small sets so TLG decided to make them more accessible.

Edited by Omikron