Sign in to follow this  
Superkoala

Terex AT-40 Pick & Carry Crane Truck

The AT-40 is a pick and carry crane built by Terex Australia .

It’s a 6×6 articulated truck launched in 2016, equipped with a four-sections telescopic boom extensible up to 30m and has a maximal load capacity of 40t or 20t under hook.
You can find here the link to the
technical description of the truck, and a video.

The MOC.

I love RC Lego model, but this time it is a fully manual truck.

39161364125_193e82300b_n.jpg26186512178_e6b986637d_n.jpg

26186506438_88793bdd0c_n.jpg26186495188_3079fc8b5f_n.jpg

26186461248_0e194128c9_n.jpg39349006254_0dfe991e17_n.jpg

The full album is available on FLickR.

Steering.

The truck is articulated and controlled through a Hand of God (HoG). The steering wheel is linked to the gear and is so functionnal.

39161448395_ee4b074f8d_n.jpg26186593078_ed1492b4f6_n.jpg

Engine.

The truck is equipped with a fake engine inspired from the Mack Anthem and linked to the 2nd axle. Fan and engine are accessible by opening the radiator and the rear hood.
26186409678_547aae49b6_n.jpg40059827411_6fd37e2bbd_n.jpg

The Crane.

The boom is supported by two linear actuator operator from both side behind the cabin. It is telescopic through a worm gear and can extend up to 25 studs. A tooth gear installed on a friction pin avoid the cable to move.

40027218012_d1eb40a25d_n.jpg39348956724_1f0a92b705_n.jpg

39161293915_d0b72dee1f_n.jpg25187560537_9423e2ea73_n.jpg

28280354849_679b757444_z.jpg

Some details.

The truck is fitted with rear and head light, a registration plate (the 60th anniversary beam), rear access ladders, and a minimalistic cabin with two seats plus the steering wheel.

40059818781_384a09f434_n.jpg40027278372_1b0615387a_n.jpg

40059846481_2474c17ca2_n.jpg

The Video

Thank you for reading :)

All the other MOC on https://superk-technic.com

Great job.  What's the advantage of 3 axles over 2 axles for pick and carry?  It seems like 2 would be more manouverable?

2 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Great job.  What's the advantage of 3 axles over 2 axles for pick and carry?  It seems like 2 would be more manouverable?

From my point of view the 3 axle are a matter of weight distribution on road. The AT-40 is apparently equipped with a rear suspension that allows the 3rd axle to be raised to reduce ground friction and so increase manoeuvrability.

Fresh and well executed idea !

I like the design, lightweight and very well built. this kind of crane are quiet rare but in lego gives a famous opportunity to have fun with.

I like the Lego execution of the model, plenty of good ideas out there :thumbup::thumbup:

What I do not like that much : the HOG steering, not so easy accessible and not that useful finaly.

I have some questions on the playability point of view, if raising the mast seems ok, extending it is very slow due to worm gear (perfect technically and very well design for the boom), need a gearing setup to speed it up, no?

Same, even if it's hard to tell with the vid) for the winch mechanism.

Except that I really like your model, and I do consider the time past on it.

Regards

Steph

I like it, Good job.

Does the real crane also have engine installed at some angle?

Edited by Jurss

2 hours ago, steph77 said:

Fresh and well executed idea !

I like the design, lightweight and very well built. this kind of crane are quiet rare but in lego gives a famous opportunity to have fun with.

I like the Lego execution of the model, plenty of good ideas out there :thumbup::thumbup:

What I do not like that much : the HOG steering, not so easy accessible and not that useful finaly.

I have some questions on the playability point of view, if raising the mast seems ok, extending it is very slow due to worm gear (perfect technically and very well design for the boom), need a gearing setup to speed it up, no?

Same, even if it's hard to tell with the vid) for the winch mechanism.

Except that I really like your model, and I do consider the time past on it.

Regards

Steph

For sure the extension of the boom is really slow, but add some gear was not compatible with my wish to have the smallest telescopic boom possible (4stud wide x 5 stud height)

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

I like it, Good job.

Does the real crane also have engine installed at some angle?

Yes, the real AT-4 has a Mercedes engine installed angled. I'm not able to find any image but it is slightly visible in the video at 0:54

Very nice. Just looked through the images on flikr, you've captured the real thing.

H

What a nice MOC, and presentation. :thumbup:

Still, I can not decide what is bigger surprise for me: that such thing actually exists (I just don't see the advantage compared to existing crane platforms), or how well You replicated it. :classic:

Very nice model indeed! I wonder why anyone would use such crane over "traditional" truck crane. The lack of superstructure rotation is really weird, I guess this machines target is not cranes but reach stackers

Wow this model is really good.

I really like the front especially and the angled engine with fan. I am impressed at how well you capture the unusual bonnet (hood) in a fairly small scale. I think it would look great if it were all grey but I know Lego doesn’t make all the peices in grey or they do and there very rare but think colour scheme still works well.

Please do more build like this.:classic:

Very unusual concept, never seen anything like it before. As said before, really nice build which captures the looks and functions of its real world counterpart very well. 

Very well executed MOC the only thing I don´t understand is why these trucks exit, it seems worst than a mobile crane or a truck with crane.

Edited by jorgeopesi

16 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Very well executed MOC the only thing I don´t understand is why these trucks exit, it seems worst than a mobile crane or a truck with crane.

A mobile crane or truck with crane may not have the pick&carry capability, these truck however are built for that. Heavy load in movement without counterwieght.

Correction, Some mobile crane cane pick&carry, for example the Liebherr LTC 1045 or equivalent compact mobile crane from other manufacturer.

Edited by Superkoala

14 minutes ago, Superkoala said:

A mobile crane or truck with crane may not have the pick&carry capability, these truck however are built for that. Heavy load in movement without counterwieght.

Correction, Some mobile crane cane pick&carry, for example the Liebherr LTC 1045 or equivalent compact mobile crane from other manufacturer.

Thanks for the information :thumbup: .