Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

36 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I am considering buying the Diner but have to admit I'm not totally sold on the look and style of this one and how well it will fit in alongside previous modulars. Even so it does seem to be getting rave reviews online so it's still a set I'm considering getting.

I really recommend you to buy the DD, it’s a great set with a lot of unique building techniques. It will for sure not work with the previous modulars but you can start a completely new street (that’s what I’m going to do), we’re lucky that it has a very interesting look on the left side and not a plain bad wall. If they continue with this new concept, you can put the new modular buildings to right side of it... 

58 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Other sets missing from my collection are Detectives Office and Brick Bank. Could anyone who owns all three of these sets recommend which one would be the best to get?

I don’t own the DO so maybe my response will not be very useful but anyway, I’ll give you my opinion, watched a lot of reviews. Personally, I don’t like a lot the exterior (the architecture) of the DO but the interior is really nice, and there are a lot of things to play, it seems, and it’s story is very fun. For the BB, I really like the façade and the interior of the first floor with the unique tiling but the second floor is a little bit dissapointing. Unlike a lot of people, I really like the laundromat stuck and it’s story is very fun too. The DD is different, I like it a lot both from exterior and interior. There are so many things I like, for example the glasses which let you see all the interior of the diner and the “capturing the shape of jukebox” section and the unique spiral stairs in backside from exterior, and the sugar machine, punching bag and water dispenser from interior. But I don’t think there’s a story... Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

I really recommend you to buy the DD, it’s a great set with a lot of unique building techniques. It will for sure not work with the previous modulars but you can start a completely new street (that’s what I’m going to do), we’re lucky that it has a very interesting look on the left side and not a plain bad wall. If they continue with this new concept, you can put the new modular buildings to right side of it... 

I don’t own the DO so maybe my response will not be very useful but anyway, I’ll give you my opinion, watched a lot of reviews. Personally, I don’t like a lot the exterior (the architecture) of the DO but the interior is really nice, and there are a lot of things to play, it seems, and it’s story is very fun. For the BB, I really like the façade and the interior of the first floor with the unique tiling but the second floor is a little bit dissapointing. Unlike a lot of people, I really like the laundromat stuck and it’s story is very fun too. The DD is different, I like it a lot both from exterior and interior. There are so many things I like, for example the glasses which let you see all the interior of the diner and the “capturing the shape of jukebox” section and the unique spiral stairs in backside from exterior, and the sugar machine, punching bag and water dispenser from interior. But I don’t think there’s a story... Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think the DO is probably my least favourite of the 3 sets too. It is also the most expensive and has the least parts.

There is just something about DD I find slightly disappointing though. Next to other modulars it just looks simpler and dare I say, a bit "cartoonish", although I understand this is probably just down to the nature of the art deco style and the bold bright colours that have been used.

Also I find the interior is a bit lacking compared to past designs too. The main Diner room is nice in general but the cooking area only has 2 red grate pieces to represent cooked bacon and a couple of round tiles as pancakes. If Jamie Berrard had designed this set it would be filled with brick built hamburgers, milk shakes etc and loads of other intricate details.

I realise I am in the minority with these opinions as there is clearly a lot of love out there for the Diner. I do think it is a great set (as all the modulars are) and I'm sure it probably looks much better in the flesh. In my opinion it's just not one of the best though.

Edited by Bricked1980

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

If Jamie Berrard had designed this set it would be filled with brick built hamburgers, milk shakes etc and loads of other intricate details.

Yeah they should be as filled with intricate details like CC, GG and PS. :laugh:

I am getting the diner later this month.  I have all the other modular buildings except the Assembly Square (too expensive... I might find a way to get it at some point).  I would like, some day, to build a large train layout with all the modular buildings as the city.  The way I envision this diner is as a separate piece, maybe next to a drive in movie theater or something, surrounded by road plates, and not right up next to one of the other modular buildings because I agree that it doesn't really fit that well.

Perhaps as you drive down the road in my LEGO city it goes from mainstream to classy (diner on one side, PR on the other).

On 1/10/2018 at 7:37 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I am considering buying the Diner but have to admit I'm not totally sold on the look and style of this one and how well it will fit in alongside previous modulars. Even so it does seem to be getting rave reviews online so it's still a set I'm considering getting.

Other sets missing from my collection are Detectives Office and Brick Bank. Could anyone who owns all three of these sets recommend which one would be the best to get?

The styling is fine for the previous buildings. Towns are places that evolve over time. Yes this one is a distinctly 50'sish American style building. I would not put it right up against the PR or PS but it looks fine against most of the others. 

I have just added the diner to my collection and have to admit that I have grown to appreciate it more and more during the build. There were some fantastic techniques used to add detail to this set including the external stairs at the rear, the small round windows and the Diner sign. There were many more, but my post would be boring if I listed them all. It actually works well next to the town house from the Pet Shop modular. The only thing I don't like is the pink Cadillac style car. I would have preferred either a slightly smaller and less expensive set, or the pieces used to provide extra detail. Last, but not least I love the 'Elvis' minifigures with his curled lip.

Hey guys, I found some interesting videos about the DD!

First video: If you have the NC and you don’t want to buy the DD, you can... and it looks quite interesting too :grin:

Second video is another video that I found about the design process of the DD, you can learn much more than the designer video:

And here is again a video from the same event filmed in a different angle:

And finally an interview with Mike by Zusammengebaut:

Edited by LegoModularFan

35 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Hey guys, I found some interesting videos about the DD!

Hey, how did you "thumbnail" those embedded YouTube videos? Am I just seeing them that way?

Thanks for posting these. But I have to say...

First video: If you have the NC and you don’t want to buy the DD, you can... and it looks quite interesting too :grin:

... this is a "copy" in the loosest possible meaning of the word. Not a bad MOC though (not great either), even if the music makes my brain hurt. :sick:

Earlier on in this thread I had argued that I didn't think the Diner would look very good alongside older modulars. I have just been watching this review on Youtube though and towards the end of the video the reviewer connects the set to the DO. I must say it looks pretty good actually next to Detectives Office. 

Edited by Bricked1980

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, how did you "thumbnail" those embedded YouTube videos? Am I just seeing them that way?

I post often from my iPod, I think that’s why you see them small (I think you look at it on a computer).

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

... this is a "copy" in the loosest possible meaning of the word. Not a bad MOC though (not great either)

Yes, I think he could say alternate build of the NC or MOC. Agreed, it’s not great but I doubt he could make a really better one with those limited pieces, maybe a little bit... 

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Earlier on in this thread I had argued that I didn't think the Diner would look very good alongside older modulars. I have just been watching this review on Youtube though and towards the end of the video the reviewer actually connects the set to the DO. I must say it looks pretty good actually next to Detectives Office. 

Thanks for sharing the video, it convinced me to love the DO also from the exterior!

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Edited by LegoModularFan
Can’t delete the second quote!

4 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I post often from my iPod, I think that’s why you see them small (I think you look at it on a computer).

Ah, okay, I'm viewing your post on a tablet in horizontal desktop format. I wish I could find the code for that sort of mini-embed, as there may be the possibility that I would be able to post either two or three of those embedded videos in a row as opposed to one atop the other. For me, that would just make for a nicer, more compact post format.

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Earlier on in this thread I had argued that I didn't think the Diner would look very good alongside older modulars. I have just been watching this review on Youtube though and towards the end of the video the reviewer connects the set to the DO. I must say it looks pretty good actually next to Detectives Office. 

Another member digitally mocked it up next to DO quite a while ago.

From @ukblock on Nov 29th:

dd1.jpg

Thanks for sharing the video, it convinced me to love the DO also from the exterior!

After seeing the shots of DD and DO next to eachother it has made me think, I bet The diner would also look good positioned to the left of assembly square next to the tall blue building.

Edited by Bricked1980

On 12/01/2018 at 7:22 PM, Bricked1980 said:

After seeing the shots of DD and DO next to eachother it has made me think, I bet The diner would also look good positioned to the left of assembly square next to the tall blue building.

Jang did it. I don’t know how it looks, I still prefer with the DO but why not? (Between 21:53 and 22:12) and just after, he puts it with the DO...

Edited by LegoModularFan

18 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

Busy XL-ling...

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL progress..

This really does look awesome. I like how you've used the printed star tiles along the pavement in front of the building. Fantastic!

Looks amazing, like usual, thanks a lot LegoSjaak! Can't wait to see it in your layout, wonder where it will fit.. Looking forward!

If I would take time, I would make a single story building XL, only keeping the dinner part and placing it in a middle of a crossroad as a standalone..

This isn't the first modular that Ive bought but it is the first that Ive built. I have a handful of older buildings that I see in the box but for some reason I had to build this. It was great too. Each night I would spend about and hour and a half to two hours on it over the course of four days or so. I currently have it on display in my home and Ive shown it off to several friends and family that are amazed by the detail of it. We all know the appeal of the Lego modulars series but this one really stood out for me. Probably the 1960's nostalgic charm of it more than anything but I also was an audio engineer years ago so the recording studio was a big hit for me. The extended versions pictured above look great too. You really cant go wrong with this set.

On 14-1-2018 at 8:44 PM, SwissBrick said:

Looks amazing, like usual, thanks a lot LegoSjaak! Can't wait to see it in your layout, wonder where it will fit.. Looking forward!

If I would take time, I would make a single story building XL, only keeping the dinner part and placing it in a middle of a crossroad as a standalone..

Thanx, that is really kind! Before putting it in my layout, it has to be perfect for me. It almost is, i just raised the tower a bit and that looks pretty good!

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL mod with higher mid-tower.

Indeed it looks good. I might try that on my mod, too - should have bricklinked more than the 4 teal parts I needed for my extra floor...

Addressing solutions for two of the nitpick-y complaints (not my complaints) with this set. 

First up "there's no studs on the stools and counter so everything slides around". Hardest mod ever. 

38855637965_b293467b83_c.jpg

Counter, also check out how much better it looks with studded seating :sceptic:

38855637985_c1e73e71c7_c.jpg

Next complaint addressed "if only so-and-so had designed it it would be so much more full of detail." 

Why is there so much freaking food here!?!?! Perhaps we should wait until we have customers before we start preparing food!?

38855638055_f252215d79_c.jpg

And then some fun with the CMF:

38855638075_155ffce0fc_c.jpg

POW, right in the kisser!

38855638085_2160f22746_c.jpg

Who wants to be the one to tell him that's not how you use this?

38855638115_d91fa40f5c_c.jpg

Elvis arrived late again so they're producing the mariachi album first. 

39754163581_a990080e71_c.jpg

Edited by koalayummies