Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

19 minutes ago, LegoSims20 said:

Yes because I have waited so many years for Lego Harry Potter and no one loves it more than me and I was expecting to get a big chunk of the castle instead of being drip-fed it, and instead they've ruined it by releasing this trash. I wonder if Lego is proud of themselves putting out something so ugly. 

I don't even have a freaking Gryffindor Common Room! 

the obsession with minifigures has made many here blind and egocentric. I can relate to this, but I also know that I'm not alone in the world.
If you rather would like a playset similar to cloud city - that's totally fine. Maybe they'll bring something like it out in a few years. But for this particular set they focussed on exterior.

And to the designers, I'm very very greatful:
- they put in so much more interior detail, than they needed to. Like Star Wars, because of the brand, they could have sold it for 500 as well and it would still be a much better deal than CC.
CC price/part: 12,4  ;  Hogwarts: 6,6   - nearly double the pieces for what you pay - even though "Harry Potter" is quite popular for overpricing

- why do you think it's ugly? It's not perfect, but still the most detailed version yet. I dare you to send me proof of a better MOC! I think I know every MOC, that has been published on the internet. None are even close to this one.

I'm still in the process of building the Hogwarts caslte, and other than very minor aspects of structual segments i am moddifying (more-so out of my own concerns) I have yet to experience an issue with the design in regards to the exterior. The interior i think does need some small mods from what i've improved so far, such as the back of the Chamber of Secrets being exposed to the interior of the cavernous space beneath. I have planned a lot of mods for the set, but the exterior is beautiful especially the stained glass element.

The price of the set is amazing compared to the piece count, the design of the exterior is fantastic and it's one of the only Lego sets i have brought for the build itself rather than the figures or microscale figures.

1 hour ago, LegoSims20 said:

-snip-

The Microscale Hogwarts Castle is primarily based on the first two/three years of the castle. The castle itself has two couryards and the design of the courtyards changes quite a bit - including the addition of statues, windows and the connecting bridge moves also. Personally i am not a fan of the Betrayal at Cloud City. It fails as a playset due to lack of things to engage with and it fails as a detailed set because the detail is randomly splurged out over the set. I feel it would have worked better as vignettes and the attempts at detail are pointless when it's primarily a playset. Many others hate the Betrayal At Cloud City also, especially when most the Star Wars community was hoping for a more detailed set - it's over-priced also for what it is.

In regards to wanting detailed portions of Hogwarts in minifigure scale, why not simply buy Hogwarts Great Hall and Hogwarts Whomping Willow and combine for a slightly more minifigure scale set. They have already teased the idea of a minifigure scale Chamber Of Secrets along with other minifigure scale aspects in future.

LEGO Harry Potter 75954 - Hogwarts Great Hall

Edited by Scarilian

43 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

To give a polar opposite view...I was originally not on board with the microscale, as I wanted a system scale set. But basically a 6020 piece architecture set of my favourite pop culture building? Yeah, I’ll take it! The set is beautiful and close to being my favourite set ever. The microfigures are so-so, but that’s not the point of the set for me, I don’t even really care about the interior, but I’m just displaying it from the front and it looks grand and gorgeous. The designer (Justin, is it?) should give himself a huge pat on the back, not only has he made a great set for fans, but he even managed to turn around a lot of people who hated the idea of a microscale Set, by designing something so great!

additionally, the castle in the films is soo much better after the redesign in 3 (not 4). So much more added and just looks so much more alive.

I agree 100%. I was so disappointed by the microscale news but after thinking more about it I realized it makes a lot of sense. And then after seeing it? Wow! I’m blown away by the detail. It really is beautiful, I can’t fathom anyone thinking it’s ugly. And I’ll still get other pieces of Hogwarts at system scale with a lot more minifigures so it’s absolutely a win/win. It is truly a masterpiece and I for one can not wait to get my hands on it

3 hours ago, LegoSims20 said:

Wow, after seeing Betrayal at Cloud City it really makes me sad that our D2C set was this... I have tried selling it to myself (it's LEGO AND HARRY POTTER - you HAVE to love it!) but I can't fake it. It's an awful waste of a set and is actually very ugly. I'm going to cancel my order. I wanted a beautiful and detailed set for minifigures with unique elements (eg. something equivalent to the molded Han Solo in carbonate). No it didn't have to be the full castle, I never expected that, but a good, detailed portion of it. That prick who designed it who only had a job at Lego because he won a TV competition ought to be fired. 

Dang, dude. Why don’t you show us all the Hogwarts Castle you designed and we’ll compare? No? That’s what I thought. Don’t throw a tantrum because you didn’t get your way. There are sets all of us have looked forward to for a long time that have disappointed us but we accept that it’s as close as we’re going to get, and we keep building on

Come to think of it, now the "leaked" Lando and Boba Fett turn out to be fake (or at least replaced or won't be released by the looks of it) I wonder what that means for  the credibility of the leaked Ollivander.

16 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Come to think of it, now the "leaked" Lando and Boba Fett turn out to be fake (or at least replaced or won't be released by the looks of it) I wonder what that means for  the credibility of the leaked Ollivander.

I don't follow Star Wars stuff, so I can't say anything about Lando and Boba leaked minifgures 

But I really doubt Ollivander is fake. 

I ordered two of the 2018 Ollivanders from an ebay seller, along with two of the Jurassic World baby dinosaurs and Merryweather fairy from the Princess range. All are legit Lego as far as I can tell. I just dismantled Olli, and the parts all have Lego stamped into them, except I cant quite make it out on the hair piece.

Harry Potter brictober set is available somewhere (German writhing?) from 27/8-2/9-18 in a add posted on instagram *oh2*

Edit: It is Toys R Us Germany at least! good news for me since it probably will be the same in Norway, bad news for people living in USA and UK..

Edited by Roebuck
TRU

Hi, long time lurker here and I don’t post very often.  I felt compelled to defend the d2c Hogwarts because I simply don’t get the dislike for it.   Everybody has their own opinion of course I know that.  This set is simply beautiful and extremely accurate to the actual castle and I think the insides are also very well done.

I’m a Harry Potter fan, but understand to get a minifigure scale castle with the same elements and accuracy I reckon you’d be talking over £1000 easily, probably much more and it would be bigger than most homes could handle. You can see why they went the architecture route.  

I am biased because I love the lego architecture sets because the build is always fantastic (most important thing for me) such as Robie house which is one of my favourite lego sets.  I’m halfway through this set and the build has just been great and it looks phenomenal.  The stained glass is awesome. This could be my favourite lego set yet and the price is a steal compared to other licensed sets.  

I love minifigures as much as anyone and have the 22 Harry Potter/beasts ones and the ones from the 2010/11 sets such as diagon alley and if people want those they can buy them of course.  I look at the system scale Hogwarts sets and for me I’m not impressed at all. Just my opinion. They aren’t very accurate in scale and for me aren’t really minifigure scale anyway far too small, although I like the Hogwarts Express. 

Attacks on the designer are so wrong just because people didn’t get a £2000 set for minifigures and are chucking their toys out their pram. I’m glad they went the way they did, we could have ended up with the messes that are the Disney castle (I’m a huge Disney fan and didn’t buy it) and cloud city!!! Don’t forget Justin is a huge potter fan himself and he obviously thought this was the best way to go. He’s clearly very proud of the set and let’s face it he’s done an incredible job   

5 minutes ago, seellee said:

Hi, long time lurker here and I don’t post very often.  I felt compelled to defend the d2c Hogwarts because I simply don’t get the dislike for it.   Everybody has their own opinion of course I know that.  This set is simply beautiful and extremely accurate to the actual castle and I think the insides are also very well done.

I’m a Harry Potter fan, but understand to get a minifigure scale castle with the same elements and accuracy I reckon you’d be talking over £1000 easily, probably much more and it would be bigger than most homes could handle. You can see why they went the architecture route.  

I am biased because I love the lego architecture sets because the build is always fantastic (most important thing for me) such as Robie house which is one of my favourite lego sets.  I’m halfway through this set and the build has just been great and it looks phenomenal.  The stained glass is awesome. This could be my favourite lego set yet and the price is a steal compared to other licensed sets.  

I love minifigures as much as anyone and have the 22 Harry Potter/beasts ones and the ones from the 2010/11 sets such as diagon alley and if people want those they can buy them of course.  I look at the system scale Hogwarts sets and for me I’m not impressed at all. Just my opinion. They aren’t very accurate in scale and for me aren’t really minifigure scale anyway far too small, although I like the Hogwarts Express. 

Attacks on the designer are so wrong just because people didn’t get a £2000 set for minifigures and are chucking their toys out their pram. I’m glad they went the way they did, we could have ended up with the messes that are the Disney castle (I’m a huge Disney fan and didn’t buy it) and cloud city!!! Don’t forget Justin is a huge potter fan himself and he obviously thought this was the best way to go. He’s clearly very proud of the set and let’s face it he’s done an incredible job   

When people say minifigure scale, they mean system scale like the Great shall Set, which is silly conceivable to have a 6000 piece add on in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

When people say minifigure scale, they mean system scale like the Great shall Set, which is silly conceivable to have a 6000 piece add on in my opinion.

Yeah I know.  I think a proper minifigure scale set is doable but not for retail. It would cost a fortune to buy and be too big for most houses.  

The great hall set in my opinion isn’t proper mini figure scale anyway. It’s far too small, and as I’ve said the proportions are wrong on the tower. 

8 hours ago, LegoSims20 said:

Yes because I have waited so many years for Lego Harry Potter and no one loves it more than me and I was expecting to get a big chunk of the castle instead of being drip-fed it, and instead they've ruined it by releasing this trash. I wonder if Lego is proud of themselves putting out something so ugly. 

Okay you gotta stop, the fact you are claiming that ‘no one is a bigger Harry Potter fan than you’ is really, REALLY selfish, does anyone else agree? I don’t think you are, I’d love to say I am, others would love to say they are, but Harry Potter is one of those things where the love is shared, no one is the biggest Harry Potter fan, and to be honest, the biggest Harry Potter fan would look at the D2C And be in love with it, so you can think about that- also, if you have to say you are the biggest Harry Potter fan, then it means you aren’t, selfish person....

I ordered 10 more of those 2x2 round flat tiles with a stud in the centre, which are used as plates in the great hall, as well as some gold goblets and roof accessories and made a more appropriate great feast- it looks really cool! Just a lil tip if you wanted to make it look a little better

Hi all. Is there any news on where the Bricktober pack will be stocked in the UK and US (where TRU is sadly no more)? I just saw the leaked photos on Insta and I am READY to add it to my collection.

28 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Hi all. Is there any news on where the Bricktober pack will be stocked in the UK and US (where TRU is sadly no more)? I just saw the leaked photos on Insta and I am READY to add it to my collection.

There was a rumour of it being available with a $/£20 purchase each week.

Not sure if it's reliable though. I really hope it is the case.

The one hope is that the boxes seen on Reddit don't have the TRU logo anymore. This hopefully means a different method of distribution in some countries. 

9 hours ago, LegoSims20 said:

Don’t want to pile on, but there is a Gryffindor Common Room in 71043. It is across from the library and behind a sticker of the fat lady.

There are some things I don’t love about the set (WAY too many stickers), but as a display piece it looks fantastic. It overshadows the Orthanc and Disney Castle I have it next to. It rivals the UCS Falcon as the most impressive set I have. Don’t really understand the hate. 

They are coming out with minifig scale sets or get the 2011 set. It seems to have want you want.

Also, if you are the biggest HP fan, I’m still guessing you’re in Slytherin ?.

21 hours ago, Whovastron said:

The  angle is really the only angle people would be displaying it anyhow. Anyone displaying the back of the great hall and grand tower is a madman

Not if you display it on (or in) a table like possible with the UCS MF. It is nice to be able to look at a set from all around, not just one particular angle.

Just now, MAB said:

Not if you display it on (or in) a table like possible with the UCS MF. It is nice to be able to look at a set from all around, not just one particular angle.

That’s fair enough, I was just meaning if someone can only display it from one angle, they’d be mad to choose the interior over that gorgeous exterior.

I do so love a set that I just can’t get over how good it looks

11 hours ago, LegoSims20 said:

Wow, after seeing Betrayal at Cloud City it really makes me sad that our D2C set was this... I have tried selling it to myself (it's LEGO AND HARRY POTTER - you HAVE to love it!) but I can't fake it. It's an awful waste of a set and is actually very ugly. I'm going to cancel my order. I wanted a beautiful and detailed set for minifigures with unique elements (eg. something equivalent to the molded Han Solo in carbonate). No it didn't have to be the full castle, I never expected that, but a good, detailed portion of it. That prick who designed it who only had a job at Lego because he won a TV competition ought to be fired. 

If you buy the minifigure scale sets (and future ones) and stick them together you will have something like the Cloud City set.

PLEASE can someone in Germany who lives near a toys r us email me! I will pay you retail price + postage + packaging + extra for the Bricktober pack. I DESPERATELY need it. Shipping from Germany to U.K. is easy and I will pay you via PayPal right away! Please will someone do it?

——————

Yes, I shouldn’t have resorted to name calling and I’ve removed that. However, I’m still really annoyed by the situation. 71043 is neither here nor there as a set or a display piece. It’s not even half of the castle, so how it’s being considered the ultimate and most complete castle I have no idea. They should have done a full model of the entire castle in small form, like that Noble Collection statue, or just a piece of the castle in Minifigure scale. Not some weird hybrid. The interiors are cute from a distance but close up they leave a lot to be desired. The front is nice, but why they decided to focus on that part of the castle I will never know. The courtyard next to the great Hall was not added until movie 4, and it looked far better in the classic style of 1-3.

I never wanted a Minifigure scale model of the entire castle at £2000 like some people seem to think. I wanted a small section of the castle done in a detailed way that still looked good from the outside but housed Minifigure as well (such as the Disney castle). They could easily have made a great hall and Gryffindor common room for £350. The interiors would have been nice and detailed, and the exterior would have looked great as a display piece (and would have still looked as good as the d2c, just minus the viaduct and cathedral style building). Lego have made 2 or more versions of Star Wars sets many times, so they could have still released 75954 as a play set and this one as a collectors set.

I’m not a Lego designer so no, I can’t make or mod my own. I’m not talented nor paid at/for doing so. I had every single Harry Potter set ever released but I sold them all except for a handful from 2001, and I wouldn’t want to rebuy the, because the quality of them was very low and this is a brand new wave with much more quality and accuracy. I want a Gryffindor common room done in the same way as the great Hall was.

Edited by LegoSims20

8 minutes ago, LegoSims20 said:

PLEASE can someone in Germany who lives near a toys r us email me! I will pay you retail price + postage + packaging + extra for the Bricktober pack. I DESPERATELY need it. Shipping from Germany to U.K. is easy and I will pay you via PayPal right away! Please will someone do it?

Not after your harsh words sunshine!

Edited by Legoniche

16 minutes ago, Legoniche said:

Not after your harsh words sunshine!

I wouldn’t want to buy from you, anyway.

—————

To all U.K. fans - I emailed lego this morning about the set to ask if it would be available in the U.K. no reply yet. But I still want to buy one from any German fans.

I do very much hope the Bricktober pack will be available in Australia, I haven't bought a display case just yet for the CMFs just in case I can get them. Have people been able to get Bricktober stuff in Australia in the past from a store (probably Toys R Us) or must it be online?

36 minutes ago, LegoSims20 said:

71043 is neither here nor there as a set or a display piece

I want a Gryffindor common room done in the same way as the great Hall was.

I doubt it would just be @Legoniche who wouldn't want to send one to you after the way you spoke about the set designer. Someone who went through the long and difficult process of getting a job with Lego isn't just someone who won a "TV competition". 

71043 is a great display piece and looks amazing on display. Again, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you're right or in the majority. It just sounds like you're bitter because Lego didn't produce exactly what you wanted, when it's actually what a lot of other people wanted. 

I don't want a Snowspeeder UCS set, but I'm not going to get angry about its existence because Lego didn't make the set I wanted. 

How do you know they won't make a Gryffindor common room? This is, as far as we know, an ongoing theme. Just because it wasn't in the first wave doesn't mean it isn't coming. 

Edited by nikhkin

Everyone stop with the name-calling and nastiness. We're talking about some LEGO sets for crying out loud.

All opinions are perfectly legitimate, and it's clear when someone is voicing an opinion. We don't need to qualify every single line with "I think, I think, I think" for others to know that it's an opinion. What's so wrong with disliking a set, that others swoop in as if they've been personally insulted? I share a lot of @LegoSims20's sentiments about the micro-scale Hogwarts set. LEGO has made a choice as to what to release as the big UCS, and it's fine to be annoyed if you don't like that choice and the outcome. On the other hand it's fine to weigh in with healthy debate too and share an opposing viewpoint - but instead of that some people seem to take one person's opinion as a personal attack and therefore spew personal attacks back.

Sadly those people have ruined it for everyone and I'm going to lock this topic for a bit for everyone to go away and cool off.