Ayrlego

[COR - Aug FB] Leaving Nova Malto

Major William Bradley sat astride his horse, next to an Eslandolan cavalier officer as pair watched Major Bradley's Corlander garrison march to the waiting Royal Navy ships in Nova Malto harbour. The last of the Mardierian refugees had been safely evacuated, and Eslandola had, somewhat begrudgingly, fulfilled their promises to fund the settlement of New Haven for them. With his mission complete, Major Bradley was determined he would be the last Corlander to leave. As his troops marched past, he could not help but be filled with pride at their neat, orderly ranks. Many of the men seemed cheerful and in high spirits, all held their heads high, their muskets resting on shoulders, brass polished to a high sheen, fresh flints tightly locked and scarlet coats well brushed. In fact he couldn't help but compare their disciplined ranks to the gaggle of Eslandolan musketeers and pikemen behind him.

The Eslandolan cavalier cleared his throat. "Well Major, it would seem our duties are at an end. I wish you well on your journey, and caution you against any further adventurism into Eslandolan territory."

36270259340_3c518f6a32_c.jpg

Major Bradley turned to look at the immaculately dressed officer. He was tired of Eslandolan arrogance, their abject refusal to see any other point of view, their hypocritical stance here in Malto.... part of him almost wished that diplomacy had not prevailed.... his men would have shown these fops how a professional modern army fights.... but no, as glorious as that may have been, without substantial re-enforcements, it could have only eventually ended one way. Rather than reply straight away, he simply raised one eyebrow and turned back to his men. He tried to think how Don Montoya might respond, but alas he was a soldier, not a diplomat. So as a soldier, without turning to look at the officer, he replied,

"Indeed my duty here is complete, so with that Sir, I bid you good day."

Without further ceremony, he turned his horse, which chose this perfect moment to defecate, and attached himself to the rear of the column. He had heard it said that the conclusion of the Eslandolan/Garvey war  against Mardier was the beginning of a new era. Part of him whole-heartedly agreed. When he had first set foot on the Isla de Medio, it was in solidarity with Eslandola, but now as he left the island for a second time, he could not help but feel those who once were considered friends were now almost considered enemies... Corrish armies had for generations adorned their practice targets with blue coats, but now he could not help but think those blue coats would be exchanged in the future for green. As they filed onto the waiting transports in the harbour, the sun set in the west - the following dawn would indeed promise a new era for all.

-------

A quick build to wrap up the Nova Malto Saga.

Alternate view:

Spoiler

35831168994_bb34de29db_c.jpg

Well, someone's a little sore at getting turned out of their land-grabbing philanthropic efforts, aren't they? :pir_tong2:  Kidding aside, very nice build.  Really like the incline, great way to keep the whole layout visible from one shot.  And an impressive lot of troops!  The Corries will win the beauty parade contest, I'll give them that. :pir-wink:

I find it interesting that just about all your troops are stepping on a stone with one foot.  That must be painful. :pir-laugh:

Great one once more! 

As always landscaping is excellent (the color variation is great and matching) and we tremble at the sight of so many Corrish troops gathered together (well not really :tongue: ). Those Eslandolans are great too and with adequate variation in uniforms. And last but not least, those palm leaves in the new colors... oh those palm leaves... :drool:

On a funny note,

- out of the three chasseaurs (the ones with the "wooly" hat), it looks like the middle one is having a problem to see straight with his hat being so low. He might stumble on a rock or something unless his comrades are holding his hand while on the march! :laugh:

@Kai NRG Maybe stepping on stones on a single foot is a royal punishment for them as they abandoned the colony in Eslandolan hands :wink:

P.S 1.: As I remember you are down under, right? If that's indeed the case, I've found the reason for your many (awesome btw) mocs these days. You are having winter time there!!! Here it's too hot to even try sorting/disassembling my bricks and A/C is not an option as I totally hate it. So eagerly (well not so eagerly really) waiting for September to come (along with our lugbulk order) in order to materialize some ideas I'm having.

P.S 2.: Seeing your flags are years old, how do you prevent the clips from breaking while you have them stored? I've been having this question for quite some time now but I haven't really found a solution other from not moving them AT ALL while being stashed.

Great Build Ayrlego! Took you awhile to get out of Nova Malto though, I was out of there a month ago! :pir-grin:

(If you're thinking this is an indicator of Count Mesabi's cowardice or eagerness to leave a bad situation, you're probably right) 

Lovely moc, Ayrlego - I have a feeling Major Bradley shares his sentiments with many Corlander citizens... :pir-grin:

Great looking troops - you have achieved consistency while still having individual soldiers, commanders, standard bearers, and musicians.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:36 PM, Kai NRG said:

Well, someone's a little sore at getting turned out of their land-grabbing philanthropic efforts, aren't they?

I wouldn't know - are you? :pir-look:

I think Bradley answered your comment already. :pir-grin:

On 8/19/2017 at 1:18 PM, Ayrlego said:

tired of Eslandolan arrogance, their abject refusal to see any other point of view, their hypocritical stance here in Malto....

One might be reminded that Corrington (as opposed to Eslandola...) never claimed, nor planned to claim, any territory.

If your comment reflects the general Eslandian perception of the events, I must say I am impressed how you have succeeded in redefining history! Eslandola must have an effective "information" ministry... :pir-tongue::pir-grin:

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

If your comment reflects the general Eslandian perception of the events, I must say I am impressed how you have succeeded in redefining history! Eslandola must have an effective "information" ministry... :pir-tongue::pir-grin:

Oh, you guys are clever, I'll give you that.  You don't claim any land for yourselves, you just claim it for nobody (NPC, if we must be technical...), and then say you'll protect it yourselves... indefinitely... :pir_tong2:

Just now, Kai NRG said:

and then say you'll protect it yourselves... indefinitely... :pir_tong2:

We are indeed clever. :pir-wink:

Your insinuations are still in the wrong, though. I do not know why you harbour the misunderstanding that it was an underhand attempts at increasing Corlander territory, but we invited other nations to join us in ensuring the neutrality of Malto, including Eslandola. Montoya said as much in some of the last communication before the peace talks began. And certainly it would be indefinitely. We don't make promises only to break them months later.

This is a gorgeous moc! The rows upon rows of soldiers is simply awesome. Of course that they are turning a corner makes it even more impressive. I counted 39 redcoats in this build and I am glad you were able to more than double the numbers from the 18 you had in the barracks build. Of course there is the great texture and foliage but the soldiers are what I love. 

On 19/08/2017 at 10:36 PM, Kai NRG said:

I find it interesting that just about all your troops are stepping on a stone with one foot.  That must be painful

Thanks Kai, indeed it must be! I probably should work on a better way of positioning minifigs!

On 19/08/2017 at 11:15 PM, blackdeathgr said:

P.S 1.: As I remember you are down under, right? If that's indeed the case, I've found the reason for your many (awesome btw) mocs these days. You are having winter time there!!! Here it's too hot to even try sorting/disassembling my bricks and A/C is not an option as I totally hate it. So eagerly (well not so eagerly really) waiting for September to come (along with our lugbulk order) in order to materialize some ideas I'm having.

P.S 2.: Seeing your flags are years old, how do you prevent the clips from breaking while you have them stored? I've been having this question for quite some time now but I haven't really found a solution other from not moving them AT ALL while being stashed.

Thanks BD, yep it's been a good Lego month for me and I am indeed in 'stralia where it is winter (well I think I can start to feel the first pangs of spring at the moment, although I can see snow on the mountains from my house... 

As for the flags, nothing special. At the moment they are stored in a tote draw with all my other flags. The redcoat flag I've had since the late '90s when I got the original set, but by that time I was a teenager so probably looked after it a bit better (some of my old first wave pirate flags have not held up so well....) the castle one I got in a Bricklink order only last year...

On 20/08/2017 at 3:01 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Another beautiful one...

what a minifig show of power !

Thanks Prof, a show of power was kind of what I was going for!

On 21/08/2017 at 4:32 AM, Elostirion said:

That is really beautiful, once more. Especially the plants add a lot!

Thanks Elos, I do think I may be in danger of over using the tree technique though!

On 21/08/2017 at 1:36 PM, Mesabi said:

Great Build Ayrlego! Took you awhile to get out of Nova Malto though, I was out of there a month ago! :pir-grin:

(If you're thinking this is an indicator of Count Mesabi's cowardice or eagerness to leave a bad situation, you're probably right) 

Thank you Mesabi!

Yep, unlike some certain Counts, Major Bradley will not leave until his duty has been completed! ...and I'm pretty sure he has similar feelings for your company that he does for the Greenies after the way they abandoned the fort! :pir-laugh:

On 21/08/2017 at 6:47 PM, Bregir said:

Lovely moc, Ayrlego

Thanks Bregir!

On 21/08/2017 at 6:47 PM, Bregir said:

I wouldn't know - are you?

22 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Oh, you guys are clever, I'll give you that.

Now, now people, we are all friends again now right!..... right? :pir_tong2:

17 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

This is a gorgeous moc! The rows upon rows of soldiers is simply awesome. Of course that they are turning a corner makes it even more impressive. I counted 39 redcoats in this build and I am glad you were able to more than double the numbers from the 18 you had in the barracks build. Of course there is the great texture and foliage but the soldiers are what I love. 

Thanks SilentWolf. There are actually 40 if you count Major Bradley. 3 Officers, a Company of infantry (30), a colour party of 2 ensigns and 3 halberdiers and 2 pipers. I still have another 2 classic redcoat torsos (one of which is Dirk himself!), 15 2009 Redcoats (marines) and 20 chinese clone brand redcoat torsos that I can't decide if I like or not. I used one in the figbarf below, it's pretty easy to work out which one it is! I keep wanting to order more (actual Lego ones that is!), although if I am sensible, I'm not sure I'll ever really be able to squeeze that many more into a MOC than this one!

35051199664_7d59c206ab.jpg

Edited by Ayrlego

Very nice build Ayrlego.

Is that really a knock off brand torso? I thought it was the united bricks one, either way I quite like it, would you mind telling me where you got them?

5 hours ago, Lord Buckethead said:

Very nice build Ayrlego.

Is that really a knock off brand torso? I thought it was the united bricks one, either way I quite like it, would you mind telling me where you got them?

Thanks Lord Buckethead, I'd probably get banned or something if I mention the name of the site on Eurobricks! Lets just say it's the Chinese clone of ebay... I'll PM you!

I thought I had commented on this build, but I see that I haven't! A lovely build. I especially like the various Corrish units depicted in it. The variety of ESL troops is also nicely done. Wonderful job with the sloping terrain, the marching column turning the corner, and the use of non-green greens! You're doing some great work with natural scenes and colors lately! :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

and 20 chinese clone brand redcoat torsos that I can't decide if I like or not

No no, you don't like them I am sure :tongue: ! Basically their printing is a bit blunt and the big white "X" hides the entire uniform however true to the real thing that may be.