Personally, the Docks set is ill-advised as is not going to sell well. The original Ninjago City was spectacular, and this one comes off as a second-rate rendition of it that only people who bought the last one would consider buying. The price is also not doing it any favors.

I'm not digging Ninjago City Docks as much as I thought I would... I'm just not feeling it. Compared to Ninjago City, it just looks lackluster, not to mention that all the fan-service minifigures are wrong. Mystake looks nothing like herself. Dareth's and Lil' Nelson's clothes are reused Wu Cru clothes - that's just lazy and plain ripoff-y - for a €230 set. I just hope that it will look great together with Ninjago City - if it does not I fear that we won't be getting any more expansions due to bad sales.

And yes, no Narhwal fish villain :'(

18 minutes ago, Dardanel said:

I'm not digging Ninjago City Docks as much as I thought I would... I'm just not feeling it. Compared to Ninjago City, it just looks lackluster, not to mention that all the fan-service minifigures are wrong. Mystake looks nothing like herself. Dareth's and Lil' Nelson's clothes are reused Wu Cru clothes - that's just lazy and plain ripoff-y - for a €230 set. I just hope that it will look great together with Ninjago City - if it does not I fear that we won't be getting any more expansions due to bad sales.

And yes, no Narhwal fish villain :'(

Same here. I’m baffled at the lack of a new outfit for Dareth, especially given how prominent his white outfit was in SOG. And Mystake, as you said, looks nothing like she does in the show, which also surprises me given her prominence in SOG. I get that this is technically a movie set, but if you’re gonna throw in TV characters that weren’t in the movie, like Mystake and Dareth, why not make them look like the versions in the show, especially if, like Dareth, they have new outfits for this season in particular.

2 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

So far I plan on buying most of the sets (including the Oni Titan from season 8) minus the flyers and Destiny's Wing. One of the things that confuses me is, why are Dareth and Mistake in a set from The Lego Ninjago Movie, when it would have made more sense to have the Fuchsia Ninja and the Narwhale Soldier, don't get me wrong I like them in the set, but with them In the set why not just make it a regular Ninjago set from season 8 with SoG and civilian clothes Harumi.

Probably the same reason Mother Doomsday, Patty Keys, Fred Finley, Ed, and Edna made their set debut in movie sets. The movie sets in general tend to require more civilians than the far-flung locales and colossal battles the TV-based sets focus on, and so the designers figure they might as well make those civilians people that fans of the TV show will recognize, and who might not otherwise have as good a chance to appear as minifigures.

There may also be a budget factor — the Narwhal Soldier would require a new mold, so you can't just substitute them for a civilian made from existing parts and expect the cost to remain the same.

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

I'm clearly not the only one who let out a big meh on seeing a clear pic of Docks.

Yes, another 16 minifigs and we get neither the missing Narwhal or even a couple of burnt Shark Army generals (yes I know they're not canon for this set but still...). And from what I can see, whilst the bamboo dock itself looks nice, the rest of the build just seems to lack any sense of well, fun...never mind wow factor.

It could have been so much better, but in a perverse silver lining way, I'm glad given the rumoured price of 2500kr.

An easy pass.

I don't know what country you're from but in Denmark the price is apparently only 2000kr.

46 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Same here. I’m baffled at the lack of a new outfit for Dareth, especially given how prominent his white outfit was in SOG. And Mystake, as you said, looks nothing like she does in the show, which also surprises me given her prominence in SOG. I get that this is technically a movie set, but if you’re gonna throw in TV characters that weren’t in the movie, like Mystake and Dareth, why not make them look like the versions in the show, especially if, like Dareth, they have new outfits for this season in particular.

Yeah, I'll admit that bothers me. Maybe I can Bricklink a Dareth from previous years? . . . But I think that the Docks is getting a bit too much flak here. Lego is trying to correct the one mistake they made with Ninjago City; its ridiculous height. The fact is, these two City sets are just that; things that the Lego designers know people will want to out in their cities. But Ninjago City was so ridiculously tall (and so expensive) that it just looks horribly out of place and completely dominates the skyline in almost all cases. Plus, the 'upper platform' section is disjointed, to say the least. 

The Docks is their effort to rectify the mistakes that they made there. It's flatter, so it fits alongside the regular Modulars in a way that Ninjago City just won't, but it also, if you get both, provides a gradient that makes it easier to integrate the original City into a city. Not to mention the staircase that connects to the otherwise disjointed upper platform of Ninjago City. 

Which is why, even if I never got the original City, I have every intention of getting the Docks. It's going to be much easier to put into my village, and has a lot more practical function too - as well as both Dareth's Dojo and Mystake's tea shop, there's a grocery store and living quarters. (Which are things I much prefer to have in my village than a comic store and costume shop.) Plus we haven't even seen the functionality of some of the spaces in those buildings. 

I think that Ninjago City Docks is an improvement over the City in almost every way. The City only really worked as a standalone display piece. But the Docks can be part of a full city. 

(The minifigures are a little disappointing, though.)

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Is it just me or does Lil’ Nelson (in the docks of course) have a new arm mold for it to be in a cast

Edited by Sr1847

5 minutes ago, Sr1847 said:

Is it just me or does Lil’ Nelson (in the docks of course) have a new arm mold for it to be in a cast

It looks like a new mould...  but at first glance I thought his hand is amputated or something. 

I also noticed the spelling of Mistaké is Mystake instead. Is that a mistake??

Just now, makoy said:

It looks like a new mould...  but at first glance I thought his hand is amputated or something. 

No, I'm pretty sure that 'Mistaké' is the mistake. Mystake sounds more . . mystical, I guess. 

Just now, makoy said:

Not a new mould- it was in this set:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://brickset.com/sets/41318-1/Heartlake-Hospital&ved=2ahUKEwiG85yGks_aAhVEC6wKHUKvAZMQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3HU3OPHno0bQh9S7hALx49

8 minutes ago, Sr1847 said:

I think that's 30924 which originated in last year's Heartlake Hospital. Good spotting though! I hadn't noticed that!

Also, I don't particularly mind Dareth using the black Wu-Cru gi, for one main reason: that outfit isn't used for any other LEGO Ninjago Movie figures! Heck, for all we know, it might've been designed for this set and only wound up in other sets first because it was quicker to get those lower-priced sets onto store shelves than a high-priced set like this one. Likewise with Lil' Nelson, I think the white training gi is a natural fit. We already saw in the Ninjago City set that these gis are not specifically associated with Sensei Wu and his team, despite having his face on them. So if Nelson is in Dareth's martial arts classes I think it's appropriate training attire.

Just now, makoy said:

Nope, it's always been this way as far as I know. That's how it was spelled on the sticker sheet of Samurai X Cave Chaos, at any rate.

One weird thing about the set that I don't know if anyone's mentioned — what's up with the three characters whose names are the same except for the fourth letter (Runde, Runje, and Runme)? I guess we'll find out when the set is officially released, at least if its instruction manual has character bios like Ninjago City's did.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think that's 30924 which originated in last year's Heartlake Hospital. Good spotting though! I hadn't noticed that!

Also, I don't particularly mind Dareth using the black Wu-Cru gi, for one main reason: that outfit isn't used for any other LEGO Ninjago Movie figures! Heck, for all we know, it might've been designed for this set and only wound up in other sets first because it was quicker to get those lower-priced sets onto store shelves than a high-priced set like this one. Likewise with Lil' Nelson, I think the white training gi is a natural fit. We already saw in the Ninjago City set that these gis are not specifically associated with Sensei Wu and his team, despite having his face on them. So if Nelson is in Dareth's martial arts classes I think it's appropriate training attire.

Nope, it's always been this way as far as I know. That's how it was spelled on the sticker sheet of Samurai X Cave Chaos, at any rate.

One weird thing about the set that I don't know if anyone's mentioned — what's up with the three characters whose names are the same except for the fourth letter (Runde, Runje, and Runme)? I guess we'll find out when the set is officially released, at least if its instruction manual has character bios like Ninjago City's did.

They're most likely related.

Edited by Quinton1721

1 minute ago, Aanchir said:

That!/'a good point about Dareth's outfit. I suddenly don't mind it so much, when you out it that way . . and now I kind of want to see if I can retroactively track down one of those white gis (which I never got) so that Dareth can have a second student. 

Wait, you can make out the character names? The version I saw was too blurry . . can you give us a list?

2 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

No, I'm pretty sure that 'Mistaké' is the mistake. Mystake sounds more . . mystical, I guess. 

Yeah after posting, I dug up some of my picture books and indeed they are Mystake as @Aanchir mention. 

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Good eyes. The contrast is quite bad in the picture but it makes sense to use this mould now that I have seen it.

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Yeah, I'll admit that bothers me. Maybe I can Bricklink a Dareth from previous years? . . . But I think that the Docks is getting a bit too much flak here. Lego is trying to correct the one mistake they made with Ninjago City; its ridiculous height. The fact is, these two City sets are just that; things that the Lego designers know people will want to out in their cities. But Ninjago City was so ridiculously tall (and so expensive) that it just looks horribly out of place and completely dominates the skyline in almost all cases. Plus, the 'upper platform' section is disjointed, to say the least. 

The Docks is their effort to rectify the mistakes that they made there. It's flatter, so it fits alongside the regular Modulars in a way that Ninjago City just won't, but it also, if you get both, provides a gradient that makes it easier to integrate the original City into a city. Not to mention the staircase that connects to the otherwise disjointed upper platform of Ninjago City. 

Which is why, even if I never got the original City, I have every intention of getting the Docks. It's going to be much easier to put into my village, and has a lot more practical function too - as well as both Dareth's Dojo and Mystake's tea shop, there's a grocery store and living quarters. (Which are things I much prefer to have in my village than a comic store and costume shop.) Plus we haven't even seen the functionality of some of the spaces in those buildings. 

I think that Ninjago City Docks is an improvement over the City in almost every way. The City only really worked as a standalone display piece. But the Docks can be part of a full city. 

(The minifigures are a little disappointing, though.)

I mean, I have both original Dareth figures, I'm just really confused as to why he got a brand new design for Sons of Garmadon only for it not to show up here and have him use one of the generic black suits that you can get in go cart polybags, magazines, pods, etc.

Edited by legozebra

5 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

That!/'a good point about Dareth's outfit. I suddenly don't mind it so much, when you out it that way . . and now I kind of want to see if I can retroactively track down one of those white gis (which I never got) so that Dareth can have a second student. 

Wait, you can make out the character names? The version I saw was too blurry . . can you give us a list?

70657 - Ninjago City Docks - minifigures

Here.

Looking at that image, that's another thing that surprised me… getting a second casual outfit for Cole! I had seen this outfit as concept art in the art book, but didn't expect it to become an actual minifigure.

Between this and the Young Wu minifigure for Season 9 that clearly echoes Young Wu concept art for the movie, I wonder if we'll see any other movie concept art lead to finished minifigures?

54 minutes ago, Quinton1721 said:

70657 - Ninjago City Docks - minifigures

Here.

Thanks! For me, Chad (the author of the smash hit "Boo Lloyd"), the new suit for Cole, and Nelson are definitely the highlights here. Though I think people are being a little too critical of Mystake - the only problem I see is the absence of a hat, which was probably done so Shen could have al alternate face. And, if you absolutely can't live without Mystake having a hat/hair combo, you can just scrounge up a spare Sensei Wu hat and Kragle-ify it to her wig. 

And more citizens to walk the streets of my city are never a bad thing. So I don't mind the generic people. Especially since I'm pretty sure Betsy and her baby are among the people who were screaming "Garmadon!" in the first trailer, way back when. 

Hmmm The minifigure selection is below average. A lot of fillers here. It needed more main characters

The baby isn't even accurate to what he looked like in the movie

1 minute ago, GarmaFan said:

Hey.. isn't that the Cheerleader guy? Wasn't his name Chen?

No, Chen was the evil Anacondrai-obsessed sorcerer who was the main villain of the Tournament of Elements arc. But yes, that is the cheerleader guy. Apparently his name's Chad. 

4 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

No, Chen was the evil Anacondrai-obsessed sorcerer who was the main villain of the Tournament of Elements arc. But yes, that is the cheerleader guy. Apparently his name's Chad. 

Yeah, but in the movie, his name was Chen. Chen the Cheerleader.

Is that Salazar's hair as a hanging basket on the middle building?

Also, there's a clear image of the back of the box here. It kinda gives a bit of a look of the back (er... front?) of the set attached to NINJAGO City.

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

Yeah, but in the movie, his name was Chen. Chen the Cheerleader.

I think that he was only called Chen as a reference in project rebuild, which is a rewrite by @Ghost Onyx to make the movie be more in line with the tv show. 

11 hours ago, Aanchir said:

As much as I liked the Crystal King, I can't agree with you there. Crystal King is downright rudimentary compared to the Oni Titan. Oni Titan is much less scrawny, much more posable, has tastefully integrated shooters, cool swords, and extra details to give him a samurai vibe. The only real things Crystal King has that the Oni Titan doesn't are big spikes, more comical proportions, a molded head, and of course, crystals — and I wouldn't say any of those four things elevates one over the other conceptually.

I will say that the number of blade pieces the Oni Titan has makes me suspect that those new blade pieces will be a prepack like the Friends kitchen accessories, City tool packs, and the new Super Heroes energy blasts. Which is a smart way of handling things, if you ask me, since you get 5 or more new molds at the cost of one! I think this is the first time Ninjago has had one of those sorts of packs developed for it specifically.

Yes it seems they will be packed toghether - great to see Lego doing the partpacks like those. We just need a treasure pack in gold for Castle/ninjago/City museum, and we are set. Batman gets new set of pieces like that as well.

I just talked about the design itself. Of course newer set will have better articulation. I do like how they made waist down part - it looks great It's just torso that lacks.
I still might get it as  I am big sucker for rock monsters.