Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

13 hours ago, Dukesc said:

Once you decide which faction you want to be a part of you can introduce your character & back story in that faction's thread. Then you will be allowed in PMs for that faction and you can go from there.

Just a small correction here: You cannot participate in BoBS before you have introduced your sigfig and joined a faction, as that constitutes your official sign-up.

41 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Just a small correction here: You cannot participate in BoBS before you have introduced your sigfig and joined a faction, as that constitutes your official sign-up.

he already did:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/152200-oleon-sign-up-and-discussion-era-ii/&do=findComment&comment=2873872

Just now, Ayrlego said:

I am not saying he didn't :pir-wink:

I was simply correcting what Dukesc said, to avoid later misunderstanding :pir-blush:

Just now, Drunknok said:

And a fine introduction it was. He does not show up in the account summary sheet though, maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

People will be added to the account sheets over time, as the glorious and honourable BoBS accountants get to it. I believe nothing is automatic in that regard, so we always need a little patience here. :pir-classic:

Just now, Bregir said:

I am not saying he didn't

Ah roger that, carry on then great leader! :pir-laugh:

Just now, Ayrlego said:

GREAT EXALTED DIVINE leader!

Now we are talking! :pir-wink:

Challenge I is up!

So go join other explorers and scientists of far away Celestia to search for curious beetles, fearsome beasts, beautiful orchids, mountain ranges or waterfalls! Perhaps you will be the one earning a lifetime of fame by discovering the Superb Orchid? Will it be the middle of a heavenly scene, or hidden behind traps and riddles in an Indiana Jones like adventure? It's all up to you!

NB: In era II, each main challenge will focus on developing one area of the "hosting nation", and highlight the specialty of each nation. For challenge I it is Corrington and Science. We may also add smaller "story-challenges" in between, but you will see. Soon(TM).....

1 hour ago, Flavius Gratian said:

I have a question about sistershipping, do sisterships need to have the same stats as the original or can you switch them around (obviously within the same class)?

I'd say no, but within reason. The new ship may IC have fewer or smaller guns or similar. But the stats should still reflect the moc. :)

This may be a weird question, but: can I build for others? Meaning: I build something, do pictures, than send those pictures/links to another BotBS-player, he or she uses them to set up a thread for this build, and also licenses it under his/her name.

Is that possible?

If the purpose of this isn't to bypass/cheat/bend any rules of the game (for example the 'three properties per month' rule), I don't see an issue.

17 hours ago, Drunknok said:

This may be a weird question, but: can I build for others? Meaning: I build something, do pictures, than send those pictures/links to another BotBS-player, he or she uses them to set up a thread for this build, and also licenses it under his/her name.

Is that possible?

As KB already said, and if I correctly understood the question, you can and sometime people get paid in DB for that. No need to send them anything (files etc) though. Usually you do the posting and another player licenses the MOC. That way you keep your 10DB for the MOC and the said player can then take ownership by licensing the building/ship whatever.

Thank you for the answers. Next question I have is once you have a build done and photographed, what is the steps for getting it posted registered etc. I think I registered it using a form but I did not post it anywhere nor do I know the correct format. Sorry for the annoying questions. I have seen some topics that have OL- AMCRA and others that Say SR-FB not sure if those matter or not

Edited by merc

Just now, merc said:

Thank you for the answers. Next question I have is once you have a build done and photographed, what is the steps for getting it posted registered etc. I think I registered it using a form but I did not post it anywhere nor do I know the correct format. Sorry for the annoying questions. I have seen some topics that have OL- AMCRA and others that Say SR-FB not sure if those matter or not

The tags on topic titles are to help other users understand what you're posting.  Usually the include faction (OL=Oleon, SR=Sea Rats, and so on) the type of build (FB=Free Build, AMRCA-Adventure MRCA) and other useful info at a glance.

47 minutes ago, merc said:

If I were you I would not worry about tags in the thread titles for now. You will get used to it sooner or later, see kaijus post for starters.

The first step is to post a thread with your MOC in it - that is all the pictures and story you want to go with it.

Then, if you want to participate in the EGS (Economic Games System) part, you need to register your build with the Build Submittal Form. Follow the link and fill out all parts correctly. You should also post a link (and maybe a short comment) in the Monthly Free Build Registration Thread. If you have built something that you want to be a part of a settlement, and get a license for it (i.e. declare it your property so it earns you money in the future), you need to fill out the Property License Transaction Form.

It sounds a bit daunting at first, but you will get used to it quickly. I suggest reading the Master Index, and putting all the links above into your browsers bookmarks.

@merc Exactly what @Drunknok wrote :wink: It all sounds daunting but if you do it once or twice, you get the hang of it. Plus bookmarking those links helps A LOT. Of course. if you still have questions or you are uncertain about something, feel free to ask again and again. We are really happy to help (and given the various timezones our players live, a quick answer is more or less guaranteed :wink: (I am really curious as to the highest and lowest latitude our players dwell btw but that's a different story)

Looking at @Maxim I's recent MRCA map (great work btw!) I realised: Hey, there is a crapload of ships in Nova Terreli, and the town does not benefit in the slightest from it. Nor do the nations. The only option is a state-provided tax, but that is not realistic. Local economy does benefit a lot. More ships = more foreigners in town = more money spent = more wealth in town = more money towards the town coffers.

My suggestion would be that per ship entering a town's port during an MRCA this town earns some DBs, e.g. 2 DBs per ship level, or maybe based on crew and/or trade stats of the ship. Whatever. It just should be more rewarding when there are 20 ships in your port instead of only 2 ships.

And I am not saying that as mayor of Nova Terreli, but just as a general suggestion.

(Also this would be some counterbalance towards imposing taxes. The higher the taxes the more income you generate via them, but also the less likely that ships come visit, so you earn less money through "natural" trade. You will always have to balance it).

I'd like to hear some opinions and suggest towards leadership to discuss this topic and make a decision. Thank you. :-) 

#####################################################################

On 10.11.2017 at 10:51 AM, Elostirion said:

Embassies of Nova Terreli

New nations emerge in the eastern seas, such as Terraversa or the Sea Rats, while others increase their power and influence, such as Corrington or Oleon, and some remain waiting in the old world, such as Varcoast or Mokolei. However diplomatic relations are and have always been key to success. Nova Terreli as the oldest, largest and still most influential town east of Terraversa is a center of diplomatic activities. Many regions have established their embassies, and even more come here for diplomatic conversations. The town coffers are filled, and major Juan Alfonso Fontonajo wants to establish Nova Terreli as a diplomatic center even further.

• Nova Terreli will pay 100 DBs to anyone who MOCs an embassy from Corrington, Oleon or the Sea Rats. (reward for each consecutive embassy of the same nation reduced by 20%, so 80 DBs for the second, 64 for the third, 51 for the fourth)
  • Nova Terreli will pay 120 DBs to anyone who MOCs an embassy from Altonia, Carno, Garvey, The Great Alliance States, Namere, Pontilla, Prio, Salleek. (reward for each consecutive embassy of the same nation reduced by 20%)
  • Nova Terreli will pay 130 DBs to anyone who MOCs an embassy from Garvey, Mardier, Mokolei, Terraversa, Varcoast. (reward for each consecutive embassy of the same nation reduced by 20%)
  • Embassies can typically be licensed as "Art & Culture". If you find an appropriate alternative (e.g. Commerce if it's the embassy of a trading nation, or Art & Culture if the embassy is also a gallery) -> feel free!
  • Nova Terreli will pay up to an additional 80 DBs if you do not license the MOC yourself and give the licensing rights to Nova Terreli (large: 80 DBs, medium: 50 DBs, small: 30 DBs).
  • Juan Alfonso Fontonajo will reward the three most beautiful embassies with 100 DBs each (deadline for this: January 31st in 618 AE; selected by my personal choice).

Please keep in mind that your MOCs should reach a certain quality standard and match the style of both Nova Terreli as well as the nation you represent - bright colours are very welcome. Grey brick walls with a wooden or straw roof for Mokolei would definitely not match either, but a blue facade with yellow accents, some white columns and a black roof would definitely work great for a Terraversan Embassy in Nova Terreli. Multiple embassies per nation are definitely an option, but feel free to announce it here when you start with an embassy for one of the nations.

All prices are valid at least until January 31st in 618 AE, but this is no hard deadline. So if you post your embassy in February 618 AE (this is 2018 btw.), you will most likely still receive your reward.

3 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Looking at @Maxim I's recent MRCA map (great work btw!) I realised: Hey, there is a crapload of ships in Nova Terreli, and the town does not benefit in the slightest from it. Nor do the nations. The only option is a state-provided tax, but that is not realistic. Local economy does benefit a lot. More ships = more foreigners in town = more money spent = more wealth in town = more money towards the town coffers.

My suggestion would be that per ship entering a town's port during an MRCA this town earns some DBs, e.g. 2 DBs per ship level, or maybe based on crew and/or trade stats of the ship. Whatever. It just should be more rewarding when there are 20 ships in your port instead of only 2 ships.

@Bregir and I were briefly discussing this the other day - I wholeheartedly agree -  settlements should receive some benefit from trade - Your suggested solution also makes a lot of sense to me, I support it! 

@Elostirion: We have been discussing something similar in leadership, and I think we generally agree. However, we have a few other things we need to fix up for the MRCA first, so have a little patience. Feel free to discuss here - the input will be valuable.

I am thinking something like X dbs * shiplevels visiting could be a good idea. Alternatively, if we can manage it, some feedback to the profit for properties in the settlement based on the amount of trade could be really cool, but that will be a lot more complex to do.

The idea of some sort of income from ships in the port is good. Just take care in properly balancing it. Something like "2DB per shiplevel" is already a lot, considering that a mere ten ship levels would yield more than most large (!) properties. Maybe "Crew" is a more sensible indicator to use.

In either case it should provide some sort of profit for the settlement in question, just not too much.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I am thinking something like X dbs * shiplevels visiting could be a good idea. Alternatively, if we can manage it, some feedback to the profit for properties in the settlement based on the amount of trade could be really cool, but that will be a lot more complex to do.

I think that would be the best way to do (e.g. taverns' or commercial properties' yield in general could be entirely based on the amount of visitors, e.g. 1 DB per 50 people visiting per month, and every visitor will visit three taverns, and each tavern has a capacity based on its size, etc.), but that would actually require the whole system to be revised. A cotton plantation will only give profit if there is a textile factory to process the cotton, and the textile factory will only be working if there is a shop, and the shop will only be working if there are people buying it. Actually you would then have to think in units instead of DBs (e.g. a  medium cotton plantation produces 20 units of cotton per month, and one unit of cotton is sufficient for 0.3 units of textile, and a large textile factory can process 80 units of cotton per month, resulting in 24 units of textile). Now if there are five medium cotton plantations and one large textile factory, cotton prices will suffer as 100 units of cotton will be produced and the textile factory will only be able to process 80 units, so 20 units will be left unused (or have to be sold cheaply somewhere else, e.g. to a warehouse). Now if a second textile factory opens up suddenly there will be an undersupply, and more cotton plantations will be required. And in such a setting it makes sense that town income is not based on the amount of properties, but actually their income (e.g. towns could earn 10% of property income as "tax" or sth.)

And wow we would suddenly have a superbly complex economic strategy game, requiring months to understand. While I kind of love the thought of it I'd say "just no".

(Though it would provide benefits: It would naturally limit the amount of MOCs of the same type, e.g. cotton plantations, and also require mayors to actually work on their towns in order to increase inhabitants' income and thus increase town income).

For now I'd say: Let's keep it simple and just have towns earn money "from trade" based on the amount of ships / visitors / shiplevels etc.

The only thing I could potentially think of is a rule like: Commercial properties only give 50% of their yield by default. This yield increases based on the number of ship levels visiting the town each month divided by the amount of commercial properties in town, up to a maximum of 150%. The calculation is: TOTAL YIELD = 50% + (Sum of ship levels) / (sum of commercial levels) * 50%.
(commercial levels would be 1 for small, 2 for med, 3 for large, 5 for royal).
For example let's assume there are 5xsmall, 5xmed, 5xlarge and 1x royal commercial properties in Nova Terreli -> 35 commercial levels. Now during the MRCA the following ships visit the port: 2xclass1, 4xclass2, 1xclass3, 2xclass4, 3xclass5, 1xclass7 => total of 43 levels. YIELD = 50% + 43/35*50% = 111,4% for commercial properties. A large commercial property thus yields 16,71 DBs (=17 DBs) instead of 15 DBs, and 20,05 DBs (=20 DBs) for Eslandolans (instead of 18 DBs).
The next month three more medium commercial properties have been licensed => 41 commercial levels. The ships that will come are: 5xclass2, 3xclass3, 5xclass5, 1xclass8 = 52. YIELD = 50% + 52/41*50% = 113,4%.
Now if we look at a smaller town, e.g. Puerto Alijo. Let's assume there is one small and one medium commercial property in there = 3 levels. Now let's assume the following ships come visit: 1xclass3, 1xclass5, total of 8. YIELD = 50% + 8/3*50% = 183% => capped at 150%. Yield for medium commercial property will be 15 DBs instead of 10 DBs (18 instead of 12 for ESL).
Now a clever Eslandolan decides to build a royal commercial property there, increasing the commercial levels to 8. However in the next month only 1xclass2 will visit the port. YIELD = 50% + 2/8*50% = 62,5%. The commercial property will only yield 312,5=313 DBs (or 375 DBs in his case as he is Eslandolan, instead of 600 DBs).
The next month clever traders will visit Puerto Alijo, because the Royal Property has increased the trade value of the town and last month there has been an undersupply of ships, promising great MRCA profits. Thus 3xclass3, 1xclass4, 2xclass5 will come and visit the port, total levels of 23. YIELD = 50% + 23/8*50% = 194% => capped at 150% => 900 DBs yield instead of 600 DBs for the Royal Eslandolan Comemrcial property.
The month after the government enforces a trade tax of 30% for all visiting ships. Only 1xclass1 will visit the port => YIELD = 50% + 1/8*50% = 56%. The royal ESL commerce property will only yield 338 DBs (instead of 600 DBs).

Numbers will surely have to be tweaked. Also this same formula might be used for all other properties to a lesser extent, e.g. with YIELD = 80% + X/Y*20% (capped at 120%).

If that is too complex a similar formula might just be applied to the town bank in general, e.g. TOWN INCOME = 50% + [square root](sum of ship levels) * 10%. It would not even have to be capped like this. Small towns who have 9 ship levels would end up at 80%, and large towns with 64 ship levels would end up at 130%, and even with 300 ship levels (cannot imagine this to ever, ever happen) they would only end up at 220%.

TL;DR: Basing general property income on the amount of town visitors would require a complex economic system to do properly. Rather create a general formula for either properties or for towns. Make that property in a way that it punishes for few ships and rewards for many.

Edited by Elostirion

Well, a few months back, I already worked something out about supply and demand, A textile factory in Trador needs cotton from Nova Terelli for example.

Even something with setting up and buying pre determined trade routes between cities, giving the owner a monthly income. There would be risks of raids for example.

But I kinda put the whole thing in the fridge because The workload for all of this would be way too high.

1 hour ago, Elostirion said:

[skip]

And wow we would suddenly have a superbly complex economic strategy game, requiring months to understand. While I kind of love the thought of it I'd say "just no".

There is an excellent PC game series doing just that: Anno 1602/1503/1701/1404 (I think that is the correct order). It even uses the same historic context as BotBS, with way more options.

17 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

There is an excellent PC game series doing just that: Anno 1602/1503/1701/1404 (I think that is the correct order). It even uses the same historic context as BotBS, with way more options.

I have ANNO 1404, good game but I never make any money. An extremely complex economic system would be better, but far to complicated and might even dishearten any player wanting a simple game that can be played while not taking up too much time in real life.

Edited by Spud The Viking