dr_spock

Sea Rats: Sign-up and Discussion, ERA II

Interesting developments, Kwatchi! Neat micro! I have eyed a few others on Flickr... Looking forward for more!

After a longtime lurking, much overthinking, and too many bricklink orders, here's my sigfig:

30414913437_d6a8285acf_m.jpg

Johnny was unremarkable. His torso, bandana, and even his whiskered face were mass-produced. For some, this was a sign of something 'special', for Johnny it was not. He had crewed, without distinction, on rafts, schooners, runners, barracudas, and flagships. He'd served Broadside, Woodhouse, Redbeard, and Iron Hook. Yet such experience was to piracy as opera tickets were to acting. Johnny was a pirate by association, not participation or ability. He didn't even have a nickname, until last Tuesday...

Johnny paid to work a rum cart. Technically he was paid, but even unremarkable pirates can drink remarkably. He would consume today's wages by noon, and tomorrow's by closing time (which happened to be whenever he passed out.

44630998444_a8a85e2f8a_n.jpg

That's where they found him.

45304152632_67ae94fa19_n.jpg

After sobering up, and some gentle persuasion...

45354294421_c0cbc20295_n.jpg

Johnny found himself the owner and figurehead of a new business enterprise. One whose profits he had no real access to. He was the cover for a torrent of dirty money, criminal underworkings, and shady businesses springing up all over the Brick Seas. Who were those using Johnny as an 'oilskin' against the inquiries of trade companies, treaties, councils, and governments? Johnny wasn't sure. He was remarkably uneasy. But at least oilskins didn't have to worry about staying dry...

30414911387_c4fae73443_n.jpg

Oilskin Johnny is the "Oilskin" (raincoat/unwitting front) for a group of sinister characters looking to launder money and avoid prosecution for other nefarious activities. Johnny will have a wide range of different businesses... hoping to have builds in each type of property as well as numerous different classes of ships.

Welcome aboard @TomSkippy, we wish you the best luck for Oilskin Johnny especially for raking in torrent of dirty money, criminal underworkings, and shady businesses !

You choose wisely, other faction are a little bit feeble for those activities

PS : I'm very jealous of your pirate hat !!

Edited by Professor Thaum

Welcome aboard @TomSkippy!  I look forward to seeing more of Oilskin Jonny's adventure.

/puts on official's cap

I'll get you added to the super secret Sea Rat threadtm in a moment, and work on getting you an account set up (@Phred) .  In the mean time feel free to pm me any questions regarding the byzantian paperwork of BoBs

Welcome to BoBS @TomSkippy! I love your character intro, from working in the real life source of the minifig pieces into his personal history to the final presentation and nickname. Nice job telling the story with small builds and pics as well! I think you're going to have a lot of fun in BoBS, and I think we're going to have a lot fun as you tell your tales! :thumbup:

It will be interesting to follow the exploits of Oilskin Johnny on the Brick Seas! I love the backstory and the concept of the "front" for more devious characters/organisations.

Looking forward to having you around - feel free to ask if there are any questions.

There are a few guides around here:

Overview

Quick startguide (which I really need to get finished...)

And everyone is normally very friendly, if you have questions or need some aid in getting started. :)

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I do have a couple questions:

1) Can I register the Rum Cart as a small property license? If people feel it's too small, I have a simple colonial road I can park him on and throw in a few random customers... road seen here

2) If I register the Rum Cart, do I submit the freebuild form for 10 dbs and the property license for the monthly income?

3) Is the cart an artisan or commerce?

1) It is a bit small for a license, but if you give it a setting (suggested size for a small property is 16x16), and it's own topic, I think it is fine. (The road will do very well, BTW)

2) Exactly so.

3) Artisan, I think, but could be both. When in doubt ask or use creative license.

Anything else :)

4 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I do have a couple questions:

1) Can I register the Rum Cart as a small property license? If people feel it's too small, I have a simple colonial road I can park him on and throw in a few random customers... road seen here

2) If I register the Rum Cart, do I submit the freebuild form for 10 dbs and the property license for the monthly income?

3) Is the cart an artisan or commerce?

Include the road, licence it in a sea rat settlement as an artisan so you get the bonus licence it as rum 

Welkome @TomSkippy !! You have chosen the right faction and tour Introduction is awesome!! Gotta love classic pirates background and you made the perfect bridge-story for this character . I too hope to are more of Johnny soon!

Welcome aboard @TomSkippy, may the fate of Oilskin Johnny be a good one!

I really liked the character introduction, already looking forward to your next builds. :thumbup:

Where is that spectacular pirate hat from?

11 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

<stuffs typed here>

It looks like the hat from the Juniors Sets

29 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Welcome aboard @TomSkippy, may the fate of Oilskin Johnny be a good one!

I really liked the character introduction, already looking forward to your next builds. :thumbup:

Bricklink! It came from the Angry Birds Piggy Pirate Ship 75825.

Absolutely fabulous isn’t it?

3 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Always forget about that ship lol

12 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Fabulous indeed! I can neither confirm nor deny that I just did a purchase based around this set... :pir-grin:

On 10/16/2018 at 6:39 AM, TomSkippy said:

<snip>

That was literally the best character introduction ever. I actually laughed out loud! :laugh:

Nice minifig and fantastic introduction @TomSkippy! It's incredible what you achieved with twenty pieces and some minifigs! The gentle persuasion scene is something great.

Welcome aboard!