What kind of a competition would you like to see?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a competition would you like to see?

• Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Purist competition with no third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, limited amount of drive motors (2XL, 3L, 4M)
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, Power Functions only, no drive motor limits
    • Buwizz and S-brick allowed, no other third party party parts, any Lego motors allowed no drive motor limits
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are allowed (this will limit the amount of PF channels)
    • Two additional functions besides drving and steering are not allowed
    • Models should be limited by scale or size
    • Models should be limited by minimum weight
    • There should be size or weight limits
    • A bare chassis is ok for me
    • Models should have some minimum paneling
    • There should be a system of points in place in order to reward good looking models
    • Track should be straight and flat
    • Track should be full of turns
    • Track should have some ascends and descends
    • Track should have some slight bumps and obstacles
    • Track should have all of the above
    • All models should have the same pre-built chassis
    • Models should be at least 75% technic
    • I want to join a competition event and race with others on the track (multiple racers at once)
    • I want to set up a predetermined track at home, record the model and post results online

I have another idea: Due to the massive differences in the power source department, We should for now limit the Battery box or handle it by classes.

So we get 4 Classes:

B: Buwizz powered

L: Li-Ion powered

AA: Big battery box

AAA: Small batterybox

Edit: An idea about the third function (optional)

Use a form of hybrid drive, maybe powered by a pullback motor. The point there: you are not allowed to precharge it before launch. One has to charge it while driving/ clock is ticking.

This drive could directly power the car.

Edited by AkiyamaWataru

When makeing the chassy please note that there are people who don't have special pieces (suspention arms from 42000 for ex) . Chassi modding should be allwed I think .

3 minutes ago, IA creations said:

When makeing the chassy please note that there are people who don't have special pieces (suspention arms from 42000 for ex) . Chassi modding should be allwed I think .

This is one of the reasons I said we should only limit the proportions.

Maybe we should allow a set of Wheels.

I don't think my 8 XL's and 10 L's would be allowed... 

What about different suspension types? 

Live axle suspension would eliminate the friction of the CV's, making the drive more efficient, while double wishbone or that sort may get better handling. 

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

30 minutes ago, LXF said:

Would a micro-motor be allowed for steering?

i guess it is not since it predates 2005.

E motor(education) and train motor is much faster than M motor and that motor is also PF line. Can I use that?

Just now, msk6003 said:

E motor(education) and train motor is much faster than M motor and that motor is also PF line. Can I use that?

That gets 20000 rpm, not much torque, so it should not be allowed.

10 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

That gets 20000 rpm, not much torque, so it should not be allowed.

sorry i fail to see the logic in this...and correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't it have around 800 rpm for the e-motor and 2000 for the trainmotor? the e-motor seems a bit pointless to me as its torques is too low, but that train motor seems as a decent option, but might be heavy compared to a L-motor (the L-motor has slightly better mechanical output power).

i would say it should be allowed (but i do not see why someone would want to use it except for a very very lightweight car in the case of an e-motor) i doubt the power output can compare to any other motor however you gear it.

We should first get down to and define a CLEAR(!) reglement

@Zero (Zblj) should maybe 3 or 2 people try to create the reglement in pm message thing.

For me it seems everyone has nice Ideas but they can be too much.

Wow, this topic blew way more than I anticipated.

I think we should first agree on the basic fundations.

We need to keep things as simple and accessable to everyone as possible.

My suggestion for starters is a puristic class with a limit being the size and using power functions and modern components only. After that we can agree on other more specific rules.

I think I will set up a poll tomorrow with more specific questions to see where most opinions are.

2 hours ago, Marxpek said:

sorry i fail to see the logic in this...and correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't it have around 800 rpm for the e-motor and 2000 for the trainmotor? the e-motor seems a bit pointless to me as its torques is too low, but that train motor seems as a decent option, but might be heavy compared to a L-motor (the L-motor has slightly better mechanical output power).

Whoops, it does 2000 rpm, as lego says. That would be a cool idea to use one, geared down of course, in a car, instead of a buggy motor.

I hope the rest of you have the special suspension arms too. 

46 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

What do you think so far?

Could be good, whats the suspension movement? 

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

I hope the rest of you have the special suspension arms too. 

I do, and the 42000 hubs.

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

What do you think so far?

Good, have you tested if the joints pop out?

@Myers Lego Technic I modified the suspension since, as when I pressed it down it didn't come back up.

@Aventador2004 I modified it, and I only have one joint problem: There is a number one angle joint located on top but a little to the left of the point where the 9l link and the towball meet. EDIT: I fixed it!

New picture: (sorry, didn't notice that I didn't finish part of the suspension, other side is done)

34940765976_e264e93a9a_c.jpg

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

11 hours ago, Void_S said:

Let me raise a non-purists question - will be some lubrication allowed (as 3rd party thing or not)? Since it's about the speed now, the friction should be the worst enemy, I suppose.

NO!

10 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Yes, why not! :grin:

I suggest the rule should be this:

• maximum 2 drive motors
  • only 1 battery box
  • SBrick and BuWizz only allowed in 3rd class (see below)
  • minimum 15 x 30 stud size (or similar)

And classes:

1. purist - only modern parts
  2. purist - any Lego parts
  3. non-purist - any Lego parts with SBrick or BuWizz

What do you think?

8 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I think we should first agree on the basic fundations.

I know this is just discussion but there are so many ideas floating around that to me it seems the actual end point of the challenge has been overshadowed by the details, and that i'm not sure what the actual challenge would be.

is it 

a: an overall car with no specific test for it

B: a car that handles well ( but how is that tested)

C: a car that has certain attributes but that the highest speed it the accomplishment?

D:other

I think the final outcome is required first to know how to then define the details? perhaps we need to state our preference for the outcome first? or maybe i need to work on my understanding skills haha!

1 minute ago, MangaNOID said:

I know this is just discussion but there are so many ideas floating around that to me it seems the actual end point of the challenge has been overshadowed by the details, and that i'm not sure what the actual challenge would be.

is it 

A: an overall car with no specific test for it

C: a car that has certain attributes but that the highest speed it the accomplishment?

D:other

I think the final outcome is required first to know how to then define the details? perhaps we need to state our preference for the outcome first? or maybe i need to work on my understanding skills haha!

D: all of the above :tongue: (but mostly A & C).

Which would mean a car that goes fairly fast, but also handles well and looks good.

I just thought of a way to measure the speed: a Mindstorms dynamometer.

That would solve all the problems about measuring speed, but would create a new one: the expense of Mindstorms... (for people that don't have it)

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

The testing is easy for that: define a track and measure the time it takes to go around it. So we would get a hot-lap shoot-out. 

Just something fun i'd like to share: here is something i did in april (before i was on the forum) not that this fits into this contest, it's technically not a car and filled with RC components, but at the moment i'm working on some improvements, i want to go over 30 km/h

regarding all idea's and comments: it is great to see so many people fired up for this, but lets just wait for that poll, we (including myself) are over-complicating things with all of our idea's here i think.