Not sure if the builder is a member on here or not..... but if so, would love to see additional pics of this beast, video, or at least some additional information. As a builder of several large mobile and crawler cranes, I can really appreciate this build, even if the looks are little off. This may be the largest mobile crane out here (in Technic bricks). Those are PP puller tires, BTW......

Just thought I would share....found it on brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=565012

13592655_1611242892539255_5379186533899030839_n.jpg

Using power puller wheels?

Exactly. My own has eight, but not with PP wheels. Not even close. I have seen several large cranes with Unimog wheels, but with 4-5 axles (from memory) and Unimog wheels are quite smaller than PP wheels.

:wacko::cry_happy: I have no words but "HOW?" I don't even see Lego motors being able to drive or at least lift anything with that.

all that aside this creation is epic.

Bricktrain is a member here, you could probably ask him. Not on Power Puller wheels, but I've seen things that are overall larger. ImanolBB just posted something by Kevpation, that's one of the ones, but I'm not sure if it counts, because there have been no updates. The chassis uses Unimog tires. There's also LiftingBricks"s rendition, which uses 24x43 tires, and the similar sized LTM 1750-9.1

8675888304_6173730aba.jpgLiebherr LTM 11200 9.1 Lego by Huib van der Hart, on Flickr

25724311616_eff858da63.jpgLiebherr LTM 1750 9.1 NORTHWEST by Huib van der Hart, on Flickr

And then, this thing, similar in size, but more Technic:

Looking at the stand holding the front of the model I suspect PP tires do not hold the weight well.

Bricktrain is a member here, you could probably ask him. Not on Power Puller wheels, but I've seen things that are overall larger. ImanolBB just posted something by Kevpation, that's one of the ones, but I'm not sure if it counts, because there have been no updates. The chassis uses Unimog tires. There's also LiftingBricks' rendition, which uses 24x43 tires, and the similar sized LTM 1750-9.1

Liebherr LTM 1750 9.1 NORTHWEST by Huib van der Hart, on Flickr

And then, this thing, similar in size, but more Technic:

I am aware of Huib van der Hart's models, and they are indeed amazing.... but I am not sure they are the largest. Here are some figures:

the 24x43 tires are around 82 mm, the PP tires around 106. 9 axles with tires in diameter of 82 gives us a length of 738mm. Now, this is of course very crude, basic, and perhaps a little simplistic..... but you get the idea (and doesn't consider rear end, cab, etc.). The yellow cranes tires are RC tires.... I don't know the size so it is difficult to calculate those. The model with the Unimog tires is indeed large..... and if there are nine axles on the model and it is complete it likely would be the largest. But judging by the video I am not sure there are nine axles or that there have been updates.

Bricktrain's crane uses 6 axles using PP tires. PP tires, at ~ 106 mm x 6 only equals only 636 mm....so (crudely I know) it is likely shorter than Huib van der Hart's. However, the width of the PP tires are around 60mm compared to only 23 mm of the 24x43 tires. This is nearly 3x as large (in terms of width). In addition, the PP tires are more than 180 grams, compared to only 60 grams of the 24x43 tires, making them like-wise all that more bulkier. I think people underestimate the size of the PP tires. The PP tires weight really doesn't matter much here... but the width sure does. I would wager the width of the model I presented (bricktrain's) is much much wider than Huib van der Hart's. perhaps even more to compensate for the differences in length. if we use the metric of overall piece count, bricktrain's model may have enough width to create enough pieces to make his model the largest. Perhaps not in length but in overall dimensions and piece count......as we all know a model's width is as important as its length in terms of piece count if it is built in Lego

This is the crane built by Bricktrain, I have seen it in person and it is truly incredible. The carrier isn't complete but the boom is functional, I have watched it raise and extend. I won't talk about it too much, I'll send the builder a message and he'll fill you in :classic:

Looking at the stand holding the front of the model I suspect PP tires do not hold the weight well.

They do hold the weight with the help of the crawler tyres stuffed inside them.

As Adam, Kiwi_builder, has mentioned the chassis is not complete, I had started to dismantle it to use the new quadrants from the BWE for the slew ring. The cab was the one off my previous 5 axle crane. The steering is not complete or the pneumatic pumps for the suspension. It is 4 axles driving and 6 steering with crab and countersteering modes. Drive is two L motors with appropriate gearing, that way most of the reduction is after the diffs and reduces the stress on the driveline. I have lifted the crawler on the auxiliary hook with a single part of line, the main runs 4 parts. In total it uses 56 weight bricks for counterweight, the boom extends to 3m.

I have assembled it enough to add to my display at our LUGs show next weekend.

Overall width is 300mm, length as pictured without counterweight is just under 1500mm

When its completed I plan to take a video of 42009 on the hook, 2m off the ground.

I will also wait for updates here. I happen to be a huge fan of these cranes, and would indeed love to see yours complete, functional (lifting a 42009? YES PLEASE), and more complete photos. Wonderful job so far. Although unsure...... I still have an inkling that your may be the largest mobile technic crane out there if it can be completed......

I have ordered a BWE so should have the quadrants in a couple of weeks (with building the B model there is 12 spares) and will begin rebuilding it. I have decided to base it on the AC300, one of my favourite cranes to work with, so will mean a few less functions (no steering on centre axles, drive on 4 axles 2,3,5,6) but it will be scaled from the AC's specifications.

Edited by Bricktrain