VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Man, did the corrupted MoCo really need to be blended? No extra mask either. But he looks massive, so here's at least a design I can reuse.

The Beasts have great colour schemes and their chest prints look great. And they're bulky. Actually better than the Skeletons IMO. Though the Toa masks seem kind of useless with those colours.

Ekimu looks great. Full trans MoCr!

Edited by Shakar

Aaaand he's tr. neon green. Not that I dislike it, but it's getting rather repetitive. Oh well, tr. blue MoC and dark blue shells in Storm Beast.

Edited by DraikNova

Here's something!

12605518_987797151277988_3250917393501344639_o.jpg?dl=1

OK I went from really being meh about these summer sets to LOVING THEM. It's Umarak's mask blended with trans neon orange!!!!! Umarak looks great, I really would like to see the beasts a little more closely.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

So all of the Toa's masks are in their main color, blended with trans neon green... cool I guess, but not really sure that'll look too great on the Toa.

I'm suprised at how good the sword pieces look on Lava Beast compared to the prelims where they looked super awkward.

Also, is that a trans green head piece on the beasts? Looks like the upper half of the head connects like a regular mask while the lower jaw connects somewhere to the upper head.

Edited by Bbrink1996

Can't say much about Ekimu before we get better pics but oh man didn't the beasts improve a lot from the leaks, new recolors and all. I really like how much taller they look too. They all don't have the Super chest connected directly to the ribcage and SB has much more taller legs than I previously thought.

Umarak looks better but not much as I hoped for. Maybe when I get to see him better the messy back build makes more sense.

Overall, these all are easily better than Scorpio or Ketar, despite not having that many new molds they introduce many surprising recolors.

Like unity blade and the bionicle head in new color.

Edited by GK733

Ekimu, hmmm... I feel the Trans Blue Mask is a sign he is using his Mask powers to temporaryly "Upgrade" his form. Because if that is his new permenant form, blech.

Umarak and the Beasts; I'll need closer photos, but I am impressed. Now seeing that the Skull Spiders are in the Netflix show, it seems the G2 villains are less of a "Fight one per year" and more of a rogues gallery. The sets for the Beasts look different enough, but if they were placed with the Skull Army they will look great together.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Something that might be cool: Ekimu's chest print showing Ekimu's eyes to show he's built a new body around his old one temporarily.

In other news: GIVE ME NEW UMARAK NOW PLOX

Wow. Umarak's... Substantial. Very good. Definitely an upgrade to his hunter form and very monstrous.

Still need closer pics, so I'll patiently wait.

So rather than a new type of head, it looks like the jaw pieces attach in some way, which is neat, although the size is still bugging me. The heads look transparent, though! Also, Yay full transparent MoCr.

Edit: It's funny, Umarak's shins still suffer from being unarmored =P. Other than that, looks fantastic; the claws don't look nearly as ridiculous here.

Edited by Dorek

I really like the new sets, but I can't wait for closer pictures for a final final judgement on them. But all of them are shaping up to be mighty fine. Also, Ekimu and Storm Beast are my favorites, personally.

Not too sure of it, but Umarak the Destroyer looks to be a head taller than Umarak the Hunter, and Umarak's alread pretty tall... very disappointing that it's not trans-yellow, either. Trans-neon green is by far one of the most overused trans-colours at this point, it really needs to be retired for a while. Let it rest, so to speak.

Hard to make out details on the beasts, and they look equally awkward to me. The foot-hands of Storm Beast don't work well at all IMO, and the thumbs on the bottom side don't help.

Interesting that Ekimu comes with a black-and-red blend of Umarak's mask. Wish it was dark red, as Hunter has dark red, not bright red, which Destroyer doesn't have either.

I know it's extremely unlikely, but is it possible the beasts have a unity feature to unite with their respective creatures? Though it's unlikely - gotta say I'm a bit disappointed they dropped the unity mechanic for the summer sets in the year that's supposed to be about unity. Ekimu might have it, but a. The Mask of Creation's upper half is too long to allow for a creature head to fit over, and b. Ekimu looks to have a gearbox on the back, by the virtue of his arms being further back - same with Destroyer.

Ketar's also mysteriously absent from the photo.

Also, those larger-Toa masks with trans-neon green blends...those are near useless. Tahu's is especially ugly. Red doesn't go well with neon green at all.

My opinion on the sets changed dramatically... I'm actually quite surprised as this never happens, but the beasts, Umarak, and even trans overload Ekimu look really good. IMO they're a lot better than the skulls. The lower legs don't look to bad in the pictures either, although I guess I need more pics to give full judgement. They said more pics tomorrow, so I'm excited!

Only one point of contention - the blended Toa masks are not nice at all. I'm not a fan of trans neon green to start with and blended with the toa mask colors, it looks awful. One of the few things the summer 2015 wave did better than this was the blended, pretty Toa masks.

Edited by legozebra

Ketar's also mysteriously absent from the photo.

Also, those larger-Toa masks with trans-neon green blends...those are near useless. Tahu's is especially ugly. Red doesn't go well with neon green at all.

Ketar is there. It's next to Uxar. Unless you mean Terak....well he's next to Ikir...you can see the black paw piece jutting out from the display panel.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Well I didn't have much of an opinion on these sets in the first place because I'd know they would change but man!

Umarak looks so cool! From his big, brute, bulky nature, to being so big, it's nice to see larger CCBS sets, even if they are few. The only thing that bothers me is his that the connections for his horns weren't recolored to make the transition better. Also in his hunter form, I thought his legs looked incomplete, while here they look more complete to me.

The beasts I can't really get a read on them right now, but they seem cool enough. The heads I don't really have an opinion of yet, because of how far away they are, but I'm sure I'll grow to like them. Definitely left a better impression than the skull villains.

Now I never really liked the idea of Ekimu being a toa figure, or character. I always saw him as being a turaga for G2. He looks cool enough, but I'm biased against him right now, because of how I see him as a character. Though if he is to go up against Makuta next year an upgrade is what he deserved.

The blended masks to me are alright, the toa ones are not as great compared to last year, but Umarak's wants me to recolor his hunter form from green to red.

Overall though, these sets have left a better impression on me than last years skull villains did. Makes me want to go out and get the winter wave right now.

Yeah these look pretty great, it's disappointing but not unexpected that we didn't get trans yellow. The beasts are growing on me and I like how big Umarak the Destroyer is and he looks great. It's a little disappointing that the corrupted Toa masks are blended with their normal colors rather than silver like the prelims

Something that might be cool: Ekimu's chest print showing Ekimu's eyes to show he's built a new body around his old one temporarily.

In other news

I don't see it, but the idea of Ekimu piloting a Green Lantern-esque armor suit has improved the set dramatically in my eyes.

We're literally going to see them tomorrow, get hyped people

Wait what? What do I hear? Is that a chorus? Seems like it's saying something...

"TwistLaw was right", is that it?

:DDDDDD

On a more serious note, goddamn those guys look great. Outstanding I'd say.

Umarak is a character who's been the best of the year two times in a row, and I don't think that happens very often in BIONICLE. Even the beasts look nice, and the beast mask being actually a mask is beyond genius and with very interesting implications.

Hah, so it seems Ekimu's recolored Umarak mask does have some red blending after all! And here I thought that was all just image corruption in the leaks.

I did like the gunmental color for the "corrupted" Toa masks that the leaks showed us more than this version, but I'm also interested in the story implications of--- well, I mean, those aren't golden masks. That means something.

The Beasts all look fantastic. I'm loving Storm Beast's tail in particular. And wow, that bulk... there's no way I'm not getting Umarak the Destroyer now.

Huh. I wasn't too keen on the Beasts and really liked Umarak from the prelims, but after seeing these pics, I might be sold on Storm or Quake Beast! The trans neon yellow accents very well with their main colours, unlike the trans orange on last year's Skull villains.

And yeah, seems like the Beasts are corrupted versions of Ikir, Akida and Terak.

And yeah, seems like the Beasts are corrupted versions of Ikir, Akida and Terak.

What makes you think this? I'm not seeing anything that suggests that at all.

Oh wow, didn't even know a larger pic existed. Umarak looks great, very meaty. It's honestly shocking to be getting good villain sets. Seems like they're retreading the basic idea from the skull villains with the trans neon green being some form of Umarak controlling the beasts, though if I'm wrong I won't lose sleep. (granted it makes more sense here given that he has, well, the mask of control)

Ekimu's cool, I know a lot of people will be happy the MoCr is all blue. I need better pics of him and the beasts before I get excited but what started as a wash is quickly becoming a very okay wave.

What makes you think this? I'm not seeing anything that suggests that at all.

Lava Beasts's "Edward Scissorhands" claws look to be derivatives of wings. He's the only Beast with clawed feet.

Storm Beast has a tail, similar to Akida.

Quake Beast has a very bulky build.

Of course, it could be all just me reading too much into it!

Also, I just noticed that the Toa masks that come with the sets are in their main colour plus trans green... That's quite disappointing. I thought they looked very ethereal and more corrupt in the prelims, where they were all silver and trans green.

Plus, Ekimu comes with Umarak's mask in black and trans orange.

If anything, don't you think Storm Beast would be a corruption of Melum, since it has Kopaka's mask? I do note that they picked the three largest Toa to have corrupted masks, rather than the strange four we got last year. And who knows, maybe this year they'll actually be "corrupted", and Umarak will control some of the Toa. I think I'd prefer them as new beasts, but it sort of depends on how they play into the story.