Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

2 hours ago, DarrellBricker said:

Well, Robert, it's your final series and I have to say, even with no Hestia, ha ha ha, it went out with a tremendous bang! What a wild ride of figures over the last several years, all presented with aplomb and an eye for that Lego charm and intricate details that made your creations feel like they could be coming soon to a toy aisle near us. Sadly, that's not the case, and what a blow that is to those of us who covet these little yellow marvels. Series Z is an amazing mix of creations, and I would gladly buy every single one of them. My obligatory favorites list though includes that stunning Cecaelia, Hammer Wielder, Feral Boy, Frontiersman and that creepy Dollmaker. I adore the Lunch Lady and the Phantom Thief too. 

Thanks for the kind words you'll always had for my works

No, Robert8, say it isn't so! These have been a consistent source of joy since I discovered them a few years ago, and it's sad to see them come to an end, but I'm glad you're taking a well-deserved rest. Especially as non-licensed minifig series have become rarer and rarer in the real world, your designs have shown off the best of the creativity that made this product line so beloved to so many of us.

It's hard to pick from so many masterpieces, but I thought I'd leave some of my absolute favorites here... perhaps in a little bit of hope that TLG will see and turn something vaguely similar into reality! Or at least hire you onto the official Minifigures theme design team.

41002249382_194f980a25_n.jpgSeries F - Celtic Battler
41044392781_3ed4db5357_w.jpgSeries K - Pirate Queen
41044392871_bbb0efa99e_w.jpgSeries K - Nymph
47465298822_607a5dc571_w.jpgSeries Ñ - Writer
47980639012_f86fbe4c80_w.jpgSeries O - Hippie Girl
48436056551_7bda262f8a_w.jpgSeries P - Peasant Woman
48436057586_d8315ce3be_w.jpgSeries P - Dark Fairy
48830362491_887891a04b_w.jpgSeries Q - Mobster
49474800306_3771d96f92_w.jpgSeries R - Park Ranger
51792960006_0d967c7d11_w.jpgSeries X - Enchantress

And I won't repost the image because it's so recent, but the Series Z Phantom Thief definitely joined this list.

I'm sure it's been a lot of work, but I hope you know just how happy your designs have made so many people. You're a true treasure of this community.

...even if I never was going to go to the trouble of collecting all those chess pieces if they were real. :wink:

Hello @Robert8,

What a nice concluding series! I have left you a direct message where I go over my thoughts about your entire project, but in this post I’ll share just what I think about Series Z. :classic:

All in all, I thin the last series is great and it makes me happy that some ideas have made it in.

Dollmaker: Wonderfully creepy! The attention to detail is great, and I love the parts usage! Very recognizable and collectable figure.

Thor: I was looking forward to seeing this figure, and it doesn’t disappoint! The gold is a great touch and the lightning bolts are an interesting idea.

Phantom Thief: I never thought you’d design a minifigure like this! How marvelous! You executed it perfectly, and I love the accessories such as the new hat, the calling card, and rare egg. Me and my roommate recently played through Persona 4 and Persona 5, so this was a nice surprise.

Fireman: This idea showcases exactly why city figures can be very valuable in your hands, because a figure that’s usually bland in City, can be made very interesting and detailed when drawn by you. Well done!

Scientist Man: I like that this one remains simple. It just does everything it needs to do.

Lunch Lady: A creative city figure I didn’t know I needed. You have really captured the spirit of a lunch lady here, great job!

Cyberpunk Guy: Probably my favorite of this series! The colors just pop out, and I could look at it for ages and there’s still more I didn’t notice. This makes me really want an official Cyberpunk line!

Thanks for keeping an exceptional level off quality all the way through!

Robert8, as always your works are a show and for a moment I hoped you had changed your mind, seeing the twenty subjects posted after the Z series. Looking closely, however, I saw that they were by Dorayaki and I must say that some are really beautiful ! I always hope to review other facts from you. I keep some that I have reproduced: two are linked to the Christmas series, the piratess, the Irish warrior woman, the gangster and 3 characters linked to the Steanpunk world (which I inform you that they have been entrusted to a customizing company to make them!). Thanks again for the ideas !!

On 5/21/2022 at 2:19 AM, ARTU said:

Robert8, as always your works are a show and for a moment I hoped you had changed your mind, seeing the twenty subjects posted after the Z series. Looking closely, however, I saw that they were by Dorayaki and I must say that some are really beautiful ! I always hope to review other facts from you. I keep some that I have reproduced: two are linked to the Christmas series, the piratess, the Irish warrior woman, the gangster and 3 characters linked to the Steanpunk world (which I inform you that they have been entrusted to a customizing company to make them!). Thanks again for the ideas !!

*oh2* 

Thanks!

Can't wait to see them!

On 5/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, kalexicon said:

No, Robert8, say it isn't so! These have been a consistent source of joy since I discovered them a few years ago, and it's sad to see them come to an end, but I'm glad you're taking a well-deserved rest. Especially as non-licensed minifig series have become rarer and rarer in the real world, your designs have shown off the best of the creativity that made this product line so beloved to so many of us.

It's hard to pick from so many masterpieces, but I thought I'd leave some of my absolute favorites here... perhaps in a little bit of hope that TLG will see and turn something vaguely similar into reality! Or at least hire you onto the official Minifigures theme design team.

And I won't repost the image because it's so recent, but the Series Z Phantom Thief definitely joined this list.

I'm sure it's been a lot of work, but I hope you know just how happy your designs have made so many people. You're a true treasure of this community.

...even if I never was going to go to the trouble of collecting all those chess pieces if they were real. :wink:

Thanks for yout comment!

Great selection of characters! A

On 5/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, ToaIruini said:

Hello @Robert8,

What a nice concluding series! I have left you a direct message where I go over my thoughts about your entire project, but in this post I’ll share just what I think about Series Z. :classic:

All in all, I thin the last series is great and it makes me happy that some ideas have made it in.

Dollmaker: Wonderfully creepy! The attention to detail is great, and I love the parts usage! Very recognizable and collectable figure.

Thor: I was looking forward to seeing this figure, and it doesn’t disappoint! The gold is a great touch and the lightning bolts are an interesting idea.

Phantom Thief: I never thought you’d design a minifigure like this! How marvelous! You executed it perfectly, and I love the accessories such as the new hat, the calling card, and rare egg. Me and my roommate recently played through Persona 4 and Persona 5, so this was a nice surprise.

Fireman: This idea showcases exactly why city figures can be very valuable in your hands, because a figure that’s usually bland in City, can be made very interesting and detailed when drawn by you. Well done!

Scientist Man: I like that this one remains simple. It just does everything it needs to do.

Lunch Lady: A creative city figure I didn’t know I needed. You have really captured the spirit of a lunch lady here, great job!

Cyberpunk Guy: Probably my favorite of this series! The colors just pop out, and I could look at it for ages and there’s still more I didn’t notice. This makes me really want an official Cyberpunk line!

Thanks for keeping an exceptional level off quality all the way through!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

We do need a cyberpunk theme in LEGO. The Ninjago Sons of Garmadon and Prime Empire lines went there a bit

On 5/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, Robert8 said:

We do need a cyberpunk theme in LEGO. The Ninjago Sons of Garmadon and Prime Empire lines went there a bit

Ninjago city also has a lot of that Cyberpunk vibe.

Well, I'm ready for TLG to sweep the floor with me with CMF S23

Lots of coincides this time around! The biggest amount on a single CMF wave ever!

33612397933_c4c86f6b6b_w.jpg50622939106_faef8aa84e_w.jpg49099063746_29f4b91353_w.jpg33939912018_82bdca0e57_w.jpg49099258197_ee79acf5ea_w.jpg37566844705_c7ba2fef51_w.jpg31275763117_5ee0bfc4da_w.jpg46214860161_bf6933a798_w.jpg

15 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well, I'm ready for TLG to sweep the floor with me with CMF S23

Lots of coincides this time around! The biggest amount on a single CMF wave ever!

I came here to see if anyone else has seen the rumour list .. as i read it my exact thought was “hmmmm have they been trawling Robert8’s ideas thread?” Lol .. looking forward to seeing these start to surface .. some great ones if they’ve stuck to your ideas ( not that they’d ever admit it ) Excellent news though bud 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Jarreth2 said:

I came here to see if anyone else has seen the rumour list .. as i read it my exact thought was “hmmmm have they been trawling Robert8’s ideas thread?” Lol .. looking forward to seeing these start to surface .. some great ones if they’ve stuck to your ideas ( not that they’d ever admit it ) Excellent news though bud 👍🏼

Lol same!!

There were 3 featured on the Lego Con video, the Reindeer, the Boat Captain and the Cardboard Robot .. and there’s also an image of the whole line up floating around in the usual places @Robert8 your designs ( in my opinion ) appear to have been quite influential on this series .. this series just might be a whole collection for me slightly unsure on the Cardboard Robot, the 5 Christmasy themed ones are must haves for me 😍 

On having a better look I think they made the helmet of the Nutcracker Soldier too wide ? 🙄

Edited by Jarreth2

11 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

There were 3 featured on the Lego Con video, the Reindeer, the Boat Captain and the Cardboard Robot .. and there’s also an image of the whole line up floating around in the usual places @Robert8 your designs ( in my opinion ) appear to have been quite influential on this series .. this series just might be a whole collection for me slightly unsure on the Cardboard Robot, the 5 Christmasy themed ones are must haves for me 😍 

Do you think so? 

I think they're similar because we are portraying the same object.

I think the Nutcraker is my favorite from Series 23. And I dont think thats a costume, but the actual thing

Glad you like the Nutcracker .. yeah I’m not saying they’ve used your designs, but ( just my thoughts ) they seem to have been very influential.. I think one of my favourites is the turkey guy 😁

I do think TLG already have the winter holiday party theme in their mind since we've got the party themed series before.

But it does feel wierd since not only the ideas become official but many of them share the same color palette with Robert's version. I know the animals have their natural colors, but not necessarily other costumes.

I think TLG's elf girl and nutcracker have more difference in design and I'm happy with them. I'm not too sure about the snowman, tho, mainly because I don't think sphere shape head works too well with this design. The irregular heads from past fan versions looks suitable to me.

(Honestly? I do want Robert to recieve direct contact from TLG, but I'm also fine with TLG using these ideas with their own professional designs. Hope that my ideas get into official lineup, too. :tongue:

Edited by Dorayaki

On 6/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, natesroom said:

1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 14 are my favorites of Series Z

Thanks!

@Robert8 just noticed a typo in your original series Z post "The color god was chosen...." I'm sure you meant Gold

I would love to see a final post with all the customs that you designed that saw a "randomly" designed CMF sometime after you posted your designs.

Edited by natesroom

14 hours ago, natesroom said:

@Robert8 just noticed a typo in your original series Z post "The color god was chosen...." I'm sure you meant Gold

I would love to see a final post with all the customs that you designed that saw a "randomly" designed CMF sometime after you posted your designs.

Thanks! It's fixed now

It is kind of hard to give praise after so many have done it. As someone from the niche of customizers I have spend a lot of time looking at non-official fig Designs and I have always thought yours to be truly outstanding. You always hit the right spot between being to similar to existing products and too far off in creative freedom. I hope making this unique contribution to the Lego universe was as fulfilling for you as it was Fun for us. Good luck for whatever you do next.

Hello @Dorayaki

I apologize for not commenting on your custom series sooner. I adore Robert8’s Ideas for CMFs, but I also enjoy everyone else’s ideas too! Thank you for taking the time to illustrate some figures. I would like to share my thoughts on them now. 

Tyrant: Looks great! I would love a counterpart to the Series 13 king, and I think the execution and detail is great on this one!

Bubble Tea Costume: This is a fun costume fig! It’s very creative how the glass goes over the head, and with the start in the back. The beanie is a great touch too!

Kabob Chef: I love this! I think the cloth skirt is a good addition, and I like the facial expression.

Bowler: This is a great sports figure for the series. I like how colorful it is, and the accessories are very genereous; I can appreciate that.

Mannequin: I always felt like a mannequin could be a great City figure. The usage of a scarf and handbag means that it could be reused for other clothing items, plus the stand as replacement for legs is fun too (I always imagined a minifig being more humanoid, but I think your interpretation is better).

Florist: The faceprint is adorable, and the sunflower is a must have! The detail on the plaid shirt is great too.

Green Man: I wasn’t familiar with this idea, but that’s what I love about these custom series, is that I can learn about new things. Great work!

Galaxy Diva: LOVE IT. This is the kind of out-there and extravagant figure I wish could be in the official sets again. It reminds of the Rocker Monster from Series 14. Wonderful execution, and the mic stand is a nice touch.

Naturalist: This is based off of Carl Sagan, I believe. It looks perfect, but I think I’d like to see a more neutral faceprint, maybe as an alternate?

Sassy Dwarf: This is an idea I would have never thought of. But I quite like it - it’s cool to see your take on a female dwarf fig.

War Nurse: This has been requested so many times, it feels like one of the few ‘missing’ figures from the cmf line. Overall, I think your take is well done.

Mergirl: This is a great idea for a figure! A couple thoughts though: Would she be able to stand on studs? And what’s the tutu inspired from? Lastly, would the new jellyfish be one piece, or the old one with a new lower half?

Merlion: The headpiece would look amazing in real life. The water spout is also cool, and I think there’s some fun uses for it.

Capricorn: I have no connection to Capricorn, but I think this is a very detailed minifigure.

Tengu: Another great idea here: The new headpiece and faceprint looks great, as well as the torso print.

Lucky Cat: This makes me think how cool it would be to have a set based around the lucky matsuri festival. This figure is perfect.

Wudan: This idea is a great opportunity to showcase many aspects of a well done figure. It’s one I think needs to be seen in person, with the amount of detail required. Great work capturing it.

General Frost: Definitely a standout figure for me! The icy beard is wonderful, and the trans-blue rifle is creative and effective. I love the ushanka hat, and the torso print from what is visible.

Thunderbird: It seems so obvious seeing it already made like this. I would be skeptical otherwise, but I think you captured the spirit of this one perfectly.

Robotic Housekeeper: THIS!!!! :wub: I’ve put an idea like this on all of my wishlists, but I had yet to see someone else who also likes it. A futuristic cleaning robot in a maid’s outfit. Absolutely marvelous. Thanks for including it! I love all the details - the broom, headpiece (and print!), the adorable robot cat, the torso print. Bravo.

Aries: This one is a bit intense on my eyes. But nevertheless, I still think it’s a great design. The hairpiece looks amazing.

Overall, a great series! I love to see these great ideas for CMFs come to life, and you have managed to keep the same energy I love from Robert8’s series. My favorites are the especially Robotic Maid, but also the Tyrant, Mannequin, Alien Diva, Wudan, and General Frost.

Thank you for sharing :classic:

On 8/20/2022 at 6:17 PM, Wardancer said:

It is kind of hard to give praise after so many have done it. As someone from the niche of customizers I have spend a lot of time looking at non-official fig Designs and I have always thought yours to be truly outstanding. You always hit the right spot between being to similar to existing products and too far off in creative freedom. I hope making this unique contribution to the Lego universe was as fulfilling for you as it was Fun for us. Good luck for whatever you do next.

Thanks Wardancer!

It's always nice to read positive feedback 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, Viper Knight said:

I like the Playing Card Figure, and the plastic army man Figure.

Thanks! Those were fun to make

2 hours ago, ToaIruini said:

Hello @Dorayaki

Overall, a great series! I love to see these great ideas for CMFs come to life, and you have managed to keep the same energy I love from Robert8’s series. My favorites are the especially Robotic Maid, but also the Tyrant, Mannequin, Alien Diva, Wudan, and General Frost.

Thank you for sharing :classic:

Agree

I hope something like Robotic Maid or Tyrant make it to a real CMF series !

Just looked through Spooky Calendar Series, just out of Hallowe’en spirit. Boy, these spooky minifigures are great that Robert8 came up with ideas to design! I am hoping TLG would do another Halloween-themed series since Series 14 in 2015 becuase it’s a fun seires to collect!

My favorite minifigures:

1.) Werewolf Woman

2.) Spooky Tree Suit

3.) Headless Horseman

4.) Matching Costume Mom

5.) Mirror Ghost

6.) Ghost Rider 

The minifigure I mentioend above are what I hope to see in the future series. Personally, I would love to see a frightened minifigure with alternative two haunted, oil-coated portraits (one is competely nomral and oen pic deptics of a skeletal or ghost minifigure) in a future actual series. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7