CopMike

21128 The Village - LEGO Minecraft

It's an ok set for what it is, and these sets are probably about as good as you can do in regards to bringing Minecraft to Lego.

But I just don't get the same feeling of it being an "appropriate" adaptation from the source material to Lego with Minecraft that I do with many of the other licensed sets. It's funny because Minecraft is in so many ways a variation of Lego, maybe that's why they're a hard thing to merge together.

I love Minecraft and ironically enough pretty much the only Lego sets I have are the more expensive ones, but the Minecraft sets just haven't done much for me.

For me the coolest aspect of this set is the blacksmith model opening up. :wub: It's really cute!

Although, I'm probably the last person to buy this set. :laugh: It is quite the cute set, though!

I know it USED to be that new molds were not ever used in just D2C sets. Is this still the case? Should I expect to see the villager torsos elsewhere? I need that white one for a straight jacket...

This is going to be my cheapest year for Lego since I came out of my Dark Ages full-time in about 2010. I've actually sold more Lego this year than I've bought. Outside of Star Wars TLG have not produced one set I'm really interested in this year. Certainly not a D2C set. I had high hopes for the classic Batcave but apart from the figures that's a huge letdown. I'll grant the Ghostbusters HQ is nice but I'm not a huge fan so can't stomach the price.

I don't play Mindcraft and can't understand why my 8 year old loves it so much but this one is a no-brainer for me - please try harder TLG!

The 'LEGO Minecraft' theme in general is a rather mixed theme in my opinion. It's pretty much identical to LEGO in the way it encourages creativity by building creations which you'd think fits well with LEGO. However that has actually makes it the weakest aspect of the whole theme as it doesn't contain anything too exciting and comprised of a ton of standard bricks and plates.

The unique aspect of this theme is basically traditional LEGO buckets that are licenced and contain the total opposite of the primary colour palette with its exquisite neutral colour palette. I like the idea of a licenced bucket however it's not well executed by the designers for my taste, these models are clearly not targeted towards me who avidly enjoys meticulous models; they are targeted to younger kids who need simple models that express the game relative to successful products for worldwide consumers. In fact I'd only purchase The Mine (21118) and The First Night (21115) over any other 'LEGO Minecraft' set regardless of RRP, including this upcoming set. (Although I have yet to purchase either; it clearly shows I’m not too thrilled with these products over other products and themes from LEGO.)

Certain aspects of the concept are well executed however it still looks like a regular Minecraft set designed much like an exclusive Super-Pack which is made up of several smaller sets. In my eyes this model didn't deserve it nor did this theme require it considering the whole concept and idea of the 'LEGO Minecraft' theme revolves around customisation, rebuilding and expansion.

The fact it doesn't contain anything eye catching that you would be worth purchasing. It’s a huge downside to this product and makes it the weakest ‘Direct To Consumer (D2C)’ product in recent years purely based on the visual language and execution. The difference between a retail set against a D2C set is the vast amount of detail; oddly enough the larger elements of D2C sets always get the most attention to detail however this is shows a complete opposite with the smaller elements being the main highlights of the set. Both village huts look extremely dull; those should have been the spotlight of the set given that the set is called 'The Village' they could have taken a much more advanced approach by increasing the details and building techniques; instead they kept it the same for majority of the model that the retail 'LEGO Minecraft' sets already contain.

People are going to find it very hard to purchase this set for the model; it just doesn’t scream attention the way other D2C products do. It contains nothing new and exciting that is worth spending its RRP for; I’m not complaining about the RRP its execution that is not worth spending the RRP. I’d prefer a single much detailed village; both exterior and interior rather than having two identical ones which don’t add visual interest. Additionally they could have improved the watch tower and pretty much kept majority if what they already included in the set the same.

I don't believe these past few D2C products are underwhelming models and concepts; they contain 'extra' components for the sake of a 'Direct To Consumer (D2C)' model, each of which clearly can be broken down into several smaller sets much like the Assault On Hoth (75098) and Batman, Classic TV Series, Batcave (76052) sets. Therefore it results in negativity against these products as the majority of previous D2C sets have been 'models' not 'play sets.'

Additionally the prices of recent D2C products have been £150+ besides Modular Buildings, Large Scale Vehicles and the Winter Village sets which have had a much better reception over these much larger products simply due to the value for money at a very lower price; it shows as each of those concepts have proven to be extremely successful among a large number of LEGO fans and children alike.

LEGO need take a step back with the D2C sets, they initially were targeted towards adults; models that they would want to display not play sets and expressed you could do much more than with the LEGO elements. Additionally I don’t see parent’s paying for this product over the vast amount of other products.

This is my purely opinion and you’re entitled to your own, I understand LEGO is a business to sell products to consumers and if they feel they are doing the right thing who am I to tell them what to do. The sales will inform them how successful they are and aren’t. Purchasing a product lets them know what is successful and what isn’t.

Edited by Adeel Zubair

Just imagine if this was a $200 Castle village instead. :cry_sad:

That would be nice - although given in the relatively recent past we got an awesome Lego Medieval Village with around the same number of pieces for half the price of this abomination just makes me sad...D2C sets should be for adults - after all there aren't many kids who'll have the pocket money for something like this so what's the point.

Fully agree. Very disappointing LEGO year this year so far.

It started off great with the Bank and HQ but it looks we will have to wait till the summer before anything comes out worthy of my money. And I have plenty to spend but not on this recent bunch of god-awful D2C's...

I guess the Minecraft fans must be happy though. And I personally have high hopes for the special Technic sets this year...

Couldn't agree more!

I know it USED to be that new molds were not ever used in just D2C sets. Is this still the case? Should I expect to see the villager torsos elsewhere? I need that white one for a straight jacket...

It's already used on a villager in the smaller Iron Golem set, so it's not new or exclusive for this one. Might not be the best for a straitjacket for regular minifigures, though, considering it's taller than a normal torso.

Designers with Magical touches have gone..:-(

"Oh no, a set I don't like! Lego is ruined forever!"

Relax. I'm not a huge fan of Lego Minecraft either, but just because it exists and is successful enough to support a large set like this doesn't mean there won't be other sets you might like more. Lego set design in other themes continues to be top notch (with many sets designed by designers who have worked for the company for years), so rest assured that the magic is still there.

It's already used on a villager in the smaller Iron Golem set, so it's not new or exclusive for this one.

Actually, it still is exclusive to this, because there is no villager in the Iron Golem set. :wink: However, the Iron Golem itself uses the same head as a villager.

Edited by Puffle Pal26

You know the more I look at this set the more I am starting to see the humour of it. As a Mindcraft set, it is actually pretty nice and good. I try to pick up at least one set of every theme. So I think this may be it - I shall enjoy building a relatively simple yet cohesive set together with my 2 daughters who really love the computer game.

Now please TLG listen: I accept this as a an interesting - maybe even bold - product. But please make the next D2C set really awesome so we can forget about the other two 'failiures': Hoth and Batcave. This Mindcraft set would probably have been received bettter if those two had been any good. And don't forget us avid Winter Village collectors and enthousiasts either come autumn this year!

Actually, it still is exclusive to this, because there is no villager in the Iron Golem set. :wink: However, the Iron Golem itself uses the same head as a villager.

Wait, it isn't? Weird... I could've sworn I'd seen that torso before this announcement, and I don't remember any leaks... where the heck did I see it, then?

Wait, it isn't? Weird... I could've sworn I'd seen that torso before this announcement, and I don't remember any leaks... where the heck did I see it, then?

It was on the minifig turntable at NYTF.

Might not be the best for a straitjacket for regular minifigures, though, considering it's taller than a normal torso.

I know. I have a plan. Thanks though.

Eek. $200 US, already high, is about $258 AU. Lego Australia has just posted their price - $350 AU! This is going to be next to impossible to justify. I mean I could get the Temple of Airjitsu, absolutely beautiful, with over 2k pieces for $300 AU. What is going on here.

Jang posted the video :)

Personaly I love the design choices they made(beside the not minecraftish roof on the shop) , but I wish the minifig selection would better. I can understand Alex, but Golem should not be here as he is aleady in small set. Same with the piglet - the baby cow would be a lot more desirable. And for this price... They could easily put 2 more Villagers seeing how their torso is all one piece, so they are cheaper than standard minifig.