What Series do you wish Lego never made

189 members have voted

1. 1. What Series do you wish Lego never made

• 4+ Pirates
    • Knights Kingdom
    • D.I.N.O. Attack
    • Alpha Team
    • Clikits-Click it your way!
    • Lego Factory (those damn kids dont need money!)
    • Harry Potter
    • Bionicole
    • Quatro (Duplo is large enogh, why have bigger?)
    • Other

M'aiq is slightly offended.

*insert internet shock site of choice*

I personally have a relatively large bionicle collection myself, but i also have a large system collection too.

Those parts can be good for mech skeletons!

I think we just smashed the record for topic-revival! Anyhoo, I think this entire Eurobrick Veterans vs. Bionicle fans is just a giant misunderstanding. Afterall, we're basing our counterarguments on arguments that were made over a year ago. You also got to remember that no matter how logically you try to convince either side to like or hate Bionicle, not one person would budge.

In my view, Bionicle isn't traditional LEGO. Is it system? Nope. Is it Duplo? HECK NO. (Though traditionalists argue yes) Is it technic? Nope. So what is it then? I like to view it as Technic v2. It's not traditional Technic, as builds were vastly simpler (Though I do consider the Rahi to be 90% technic). You also got to take in consideration that when the Toa and Rahi came out, they were looped into the "Technic" label. Though I never felt the shockwave because I loved Throwbots, Cyberslam and to a lesser extent, Roboriders, I can kinda understand them now. Just imagine if the "My little pony" characters began to have weapons and had this incredibly violent adventure storyline. I can't even begin to fathom what chaos those My Little Pony fans would wreak onto our unsuspecting world! Though LEGO has had various adventure related themes, nothing they knew existed in Bionicle. Adventurers had interesting builds and a storyline everyone could relate to (INDIANA JONES=WIN). Heck, even Knight's Kingdom (Leo's kingdom) had some castle fans foaming at the mouth. But Bionicle? Everything is alien. And therefore, mouth-foamage and rioting are suitable responses.

To put it into closer perspective, it's just like me (Ravensburg and others too) and the current storyline. I despise it for everything that is and nothing will convince me (And others) otherwise. Same goes with classic LEGO fans and Bionicle.

As for Bionicle fans not being LEGO fans, I think that's also true. I think the reference was to Bionicle ONLY fans, and not those such as yourselves who dare to cross back and forth between "normal" LEGO and Bionicle. Just try to think about it for a second. LEGO is a contruction toy which prides itself on being able to be built time after time in different combinations. Recently, Bionicle has even tossed that out the window, with the inability to combine Toa and the larger sets having no alternate build other than to combine with another set. I tend to think those who still rebuild or even think about rebuilding as LEGO fans, as they play with the original intent of LEGO. All of us here all are undoubtedly LEGO fans, as not only to we preserve and practice this tradition, but also integrate Bionicle with other themes, such as the original technic.

The "non-LEGO" fans of Bionicle are most likely the ones who genuinely loved that "Save the band" campaign and who spurn the tradition of LEGO. The ones who treat them like action figures and never customizing or rebuilding. The ones who haven't even remotely thought of Bionicle as LEGO. I think THOSE are which the Eurobrick veterans are refering to.

Anyhow, that was most likely my best attempt to try to bring some understanding between the two sides. I think I failed.

Well, on topic, I can't remember what I voted for, but if I voted today, I would say ZNAP by a FAR margin. Some may argue Bionicle isn't LEGO, but ZNAP wasn't even remotely in the range of LEGO. No offense, but that thing was unsightly and a costly mistake. I sure hope that plastic was then reused for something better. :-D

PS: I sincerely apologize if I have offended any of the classic LEGO or Bionicle fans in my post The terms I've used were very general and most likely not entirely applicable to either side.

PS: I sincerely apologize if I have offended any of the classic LEGO or Bionicle fans in my post

It's hard to offend when something's written out with though and respect like your post was.

However, I see a very disturbing trend in toy stores: their Lego shelf is becoming a Bioncle shelf more and more. Town gets very little space while Bionicle gets at least half of the total space avaliable.

Even as someone who likes Bionicle sets, this too disturbs me.

At the one place in this area that sells Lego, there's 2 shelves for Bionicle, 1 for Star Wars and Spongebob, then another shelf that varies with Racers or technic cars.

ALL of these shelves are often lacking in stock, leaving Megablocks pushed over to fill the empty space!

Sad stuff.

My opinion is that kids need to play with Lego, then move on to Technic/Bionicle. But what happens is that kids seem to skip the normal Lego and start with Bionicle.

I think that wherever a kid starts off, System or Technic, they still wind up in the future primarily on System.

As the more useless Bionicle parts start to make sifting through the parts bins annoying, it seems natural to get smaller bricks. Kids starting off on System likely get only a tiny push.

Even as a kid playing with my brother's collection of classic space, I used to think Lego couldn't create decent action figures... and I was totally right. But thanks to Technic / Bionicle, it's incredibly fun.

Then, in the third stage of what I think Lego is, I find myself buying as much (if not more) System sets than Technic.

It all works out in the end. Though toy shelves might suffer from a lack of System, the money coming in from Bionicle still allows Lego to make cool System sets to buy from them directly online.

And hey, cutting out the middleman likely helps their profits too.

KMOI wrote: Just imagine if the "My little pony" characters began to have weapons and had this incredibly violent adventure storyline. I can't even begin to fathom what chaos those My Little Pony fans would wreak onto our unsuspecting world!

Wow... That would own to new extreme!

I voted 4+ Pirates but you forgot the terrible JACKSTONE !. I would have voted for Jackstone.

I voted 4+ Pirates but you forgot the terrible JACKSTONE !. I would have voted for Jackstone.

Isn't that basically the same (oversized MF's, lots of huge bricks, hardly any building involded) for a different theme?

I don't like Bioncle, but it's not like I hate it. Therefore, I wonder exactly why those who type 'Die Bioncle Die' and similar things hate Bionicle. Any good reasons to hate it more then, say, Clickits, 4+ Pirates, Z'NAP or Galidor?

I chose Bionicle, because if TLC had not made that series, none would have considered it to be Lego at all!

Like KMOI posted: It

I do not like Bionicle... *n* The only things which look a bit good are the Viking dragons with bionicle parts...but only a bit...:-P

-Aredhel

I chose 4+ Pirates *n* , When I heard that lego would be releasing a new pirate theme back a couple years ago, I about went through the roof :-P , only to find out this is what was being released :-(

they are these really weird aliens

Aliens? Seriously, Bionicle is a LOT more complex than average, run of the mill dinozaurs alien monsters action figures. :-/

And go Pirates!!

Um, do you mean 4+ Pirates? No offense, but if so, that makes no sense IMO. 4+ Pirates was a disgrace to everything the original pirates created. All this line had to offer was lousy models, 1 piece figs, tons of <insert that tiresome argument> pieces, ridiculous designs (a catapault and lampstand on a simple raft? A ships wheel on a one person boat? :-| ), and worst of all, Missiles For Cannonballs! :-X

Like a lot of others here, I chose Bionicle as the line I most wish LEGO had not created. But I have to acknowledge that it is a good source for technic elements and mecha skeleton components.

While it generated quite a lot of income for the company, keep in mind that last year was the first in 6 that the company finished with a profit, so you could argue just as easily that it contributed to the company's failure by diverting production from more profitable lines.

The challenge for the company has always been how to manage two parallel lines of building components, system and technic. Bionicle turned out to be the way to keep technic alive through a dark age, and it benefited from an excellent marketing system.

Figured I ought to run up a post and a vote:

Pirates 4+: I agree with most people on the topic of this disgraceful mockery of a once proud and powerfully popular theme. Everything is too big. As for parts/accessories, it's kind of pointless to buy a set to get a couple of bricks unless it's a little one. Unless of course you're a full time modder.

Knight's Kingdom: So many different lines! Where to begin? Ah, right there with King Leo. Those were nice sets if anything, seeing as they had so many nice pieces. (for that timeframe) Then we have Morcia. An oky-doky theme. Better in part 2 and 3. Best in 3, Battle at the Pass was an amazing set. And such a bargain! Anyone who has a hair's breadth of liking for knights should get this set.

D.I.N.O Attack: Pretty cool. I wonder why TLC made a completely different line for Europe? All prisons/capture in 2010, but in attack, all weapons? It was cool, but I found it only worth it to get the T-1 Tycoon. Wait a minute, that helicopter wasn't a rich man, it was a Typhoon! It's so easy to say Tycoon, I just can't hide it...

Alpha Team: Good while it lasted, but Ice was the best, original 2nd best, and undersea 3rd.

Clikits: Would've voted it out but Pirates... No comment

Lego Factory: I guess this is another way to make those kids wait even harder for their allowance!

Harry Potter: Would've voted this out, but Pirates... No comment

Bionicle: The good guys: Good in Mata-Nui as Toa, good in Mata-Nui as Toa Nuva, cool in Metru-Nui as Toa Metru, bad in Voya-Nui as Toa Inika, and kinda okay underwater. The bad guys: Nice in Mata-Nui as Rahi, cool as Bohrok in Mata-Nui, cooler as Bohrok Kal in Mata-Nui, great Makuta!!, great Rakshii!!!, awesome Vahki in Metru-Nui, okay Visorak in Metru-Nui, so-so Piraka, and creepy and yet enthralling BARRAKI!

Quatro:50/50. It has its ups and its downs. I'm not going into them today.

Other: Galidor was something. Jack Stone earned a laugh from me until I discovered he was an awesome sniper in TC's Ghost Recon. X-D This, of course, not changing my opinion of the lego set at all. :-P

There you have it. My opinion. As if it could be anyone elses... :-D

My biggest problem is that LEGO is releasing TOO MANY sets in any given year, many of which simply don't have enough of a following. I mean, this year we've got Castle, Space, Town, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Sponge Bob, Batman, Aqua Raiders, Racers, and Exo-Force as themes (plus other lines like Creator, Technic and Bionicle). With so many products on the market, LEGO seems to be competing with themselves. Honestly, I think LEGO needs to focus on having fewer high-quality lines, rather than a bunch of one or two year lines that fail to grab buyer interest.

I know somebody's favorite is inevitably nixed, but there are times when too much is TOO MUCH!

With so many products on the market, LEGO seems to be competing with themselves.

I

Honestly, I think LEGO needs to focus on having fewer high-quality lines...

Sacrilege! I respect your honesty, though. ;-)

Mr. Blueandwhite, you raise some notable points. I can only speculate as to why TLC manages itself the way it does right now (as I am not an employee, oh how I wish! :-P).

One reason might be untapped market. Would TLC make as much money if they excluded other themes such as racers in favor of strengthening their bread and butter themes? Some might argue, yes, but how would they know? :-P Not long ago TLC recognized that there was a market for mechas and it capitalized on it. So far it seems to be a profitable endeavor. Now then, would they have made more money if they instead decided to add a few more city vehicles to their then current city lineup?

Another reason is the dreaded contract! In a way TLC is trapped in this predicament because they've already signed contracts to many themes that would otherwise be a financial loss if TLC discontinued the theme. Of course the company would be silly to discontinue a popular and highly profitable theme like Star Wars, but I think you guys get my jist.

All of this seems to be part of a frantic race to stay in the black when ironically it could be the very thing that keeps TLC in the red!

My analysis seems to have gotten a bit garbled, but in the end if TLC keeps on making money then I'm alright with the overabundance of themes. :-)

i hate bionicle! i watched the first movie one time and it was so awful i through it in the bin!

they keep on bringing out the same thing over and over again!

oh some crapy red alien with a stupid shooter thats new!

god they annoy me! >:-(

Well i have to say with complete truth and my hands up, i have never.....prepare yourself for a shock.... been a fan of the starwars theme, i find it tacky, way to expensive and just.....strange. Okay some of the space ship thing-a-majigs are cool and you can create cool MOCs from them, but i have never got it.

Well i have to say with complete truth and my hands up, i have never.....prepare yourself for a shock.... been a fan of the starwars theme, i find it tacky, way to expensive and just.....strange. Okay some of the space ship thing-a-majigs are cool and you can create cool MOCs from them, but i have never got it.

yer it may be a bit more expensive but thats because they have a licence and that costs! and how s it strange it is models of the things in the films if you have ever seen them!

ferrari isnt great because every set you get a stupid ferrari!

how the hell are you suppose to have a grand prix with about ten schumachers and 10 of the other guy! >:-(

pixars cars is a good film though so il agree with you on that

:-D

Personally, I don't have a problem with Bionicle. I know its a big seller but I just have one request from TLC: KEEP IT OUT OF THE OTHER THEMES! :-)

Lego seems to get more weird by the year - Vikings, Knights Kingdom (definitely NOT castle), Avatar, etc. I've been looking through some old catalogs and set instructions (mid-1980s through late 1990s) - Space, Castle, Pirates, Town (including Boats, Nautica, Train etc.), this was the golden age.

Then again I've always been a builder - rarely bothering to follow the instructions - though I miss the specialized parts from Space, Castle, and Pirates (a problem BrickLink has solved somewhat.)

To Lego's credit Star Wars was something my friends and I dreamed of back in the day, making do with whatever MOCs we could build from Space.

yer it may be a bit more expensive but thats because they have a licence and that costs! and how s it strange it is models of the things in the films if you have ever seen them!

ferrari isnt great because every set you get a stupid ferrari!

how the hell are you suppose to have a grand prix with about ten schumachers and 10 of the other guy! >:-(

pixars cars is a good film though so il agree with you on that

:-D

Well lego has the ferrari license and that costs prolly even more so than star wars because they are a global car company and a massive racing team and they constiantly make cheap affordable sets with alot of kit. Like in the latest garage you can buy you get about 10 figures, and only about 2 in a starwars figures.

Well i could say you get a space ship with every star wars set!! No offence to star wars lovers here.

Well if you had been collecting the other lego racers when they came with drives you can build cars for them like i do.

Ditto- it's one of pixars best IMO.

Well lego has the ferrari license and that costs prolly even more so than star wars because they are a global car company and a massive racing team and they constiantly make cheap affordable sets with alot of kit. Like in the latest garage you can buy you get about 10 figures, and only about 2 in a starwars figures.

Well i could say you get a space ship with every star wars set!! No offence to star wars lovers here.

Well if you had been collecting the other lego racers when they came with drives you can build cars for them like i do.

Ditto- it's one of pixars best IMO.

yes but like every ferrari set is a stupid garage!

at least in the star wars sets the ships are different were as the ferrari cars are all the same if you buy them all you have about 10 f1 cars but they are ALL farrari!!!!