Sign in to follow this  
LegoEomer

Announcement: Regarding GOH Wiki

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, nor if I am allowed to do this, but here we go. So I have posted this twice on Avalonia's page, and so far I only gotten one member to sign up, so I'm posting it here so people from other guilds can sign up too.

What?: So the wiki, what is supposed to a source of information regarding everything about Guilds of Historica, hasn't been edited in like months, and only recently have I started to fix it up, creating pages for redlinks and undoing the work of vandals. My next task is to include info about the recent going on of Historica. However, I cannot do it alone, as I barely know anything about the recent civil wars, Book 1, etc. So I need help.

Who?: I need your help. Anyone who is willing to dedicate some time, any time, to contribute in any way. However, I do need some veteran, experienced, users to help in writing Historica's history, both recent and long ago, but all users can help in their own ways.

Why?: The wiki is meant to be a source of information. And it has fallen into disrepair. If we update the information, and expand low quality articles, other users might want to join GOH, because from reading the wiki, they might find Historica interesting, therefore boosting activity. Of course, we might get some one-year-stands, but there will always be users who are here to stay.

When?: This project is meant to be a long term project. There is no deadline, as Historica is always changing. At first however, I expect there to be a lot of activity, but once the wiki is fixed up, all we need is activity once every few days, updating info, keeping vandals away, etc.

How?: You can help in any way, from expanding low quality articles, to updating outdated information, to removing and/or creating pages from the redlinks. Any help is appreciated, as long as it is productive.

So thanks for looking, and I hope you sign up. If you don't, it's totally okay. This is an optional project, so you can devote some of your time as you please. But if you signed up, thanks in advance! I will be posting a to-do list on the wiki as soon as I see activity.

Edited by LegoEomer

I think this is a great initiative :thumbup: Yet, I think making sure that we have the info organized, accurate and up-to-date on Eurobricks itself should have priority, ... although the wiki may be a more practical place to work with many on the same job, I don't know about that.

By the way, in my opinion, keeping the members in GoH active, rather than attracting a lot of 'one-year-stands', is more favorable. I think the wiki would boost consistency and cohesion of builds, as newer members (like me) will get a better understanding of what has been build and what can be build (also where and why).

Great initiative! :classic:

I made some attempts to keep my parts of the wiki updated during my first year of GoH, but the lack of interest in the wiki in general made me not continue that.

Considering how much content has been generated during the first few years of GoH, a wiki is however very much needed...

Great initiative !

I will probably try to help, but not immediately as my builds are more turned towards Brethren of The Brick Seas and my time IRL is kinda limited...

I also have to agreed with Exetrius.

We would rather have long term players then some one year stands ! (Though I am a newbie in GOH, I am not seeing me as a one year builder, I have more projects for my story in GOH ! I'm here to stay, and soon you will see me build more !)

The difficulty IMO in GOH is a big activity (which is great, I am not against that ofc) but with so few updates.

I, for my part, am a bit lost in my own guild story and geography, our Avalonian King is a player we never see ! I see Nocturnian folks debating the map of their own guild ! The diplomatic and political situation in Kaliphlin is quite impossible to understand after the civil war ! Examples that GOH needs to be updated are becoming numerous.

I think both the wiki and the main threads should be updated. If the leaders of the guild are in difficulty to do so, then they should find help with their most active players ! Perhaps it's time to promote some great old builders in their Guild ranks ?

GOH is an amazing community and I am sure that help will come ! I am hoping players of good will could help !

Great initiative !

I will probably try to help, but not immediately as my builds are more turned towards Brethren of The Brick Seas and my time IRL is kinda limited...

I also have to agreed with Exetrius.

We would rather have long term players then some one year stands ! (Though I am a newbie in GOH, I am not seeing me as a one year builder, I have more projects for my story in GOH ! I'm here to stay, and soon you will see me build more !)

The difficulty IMO in GOH is a big activity (which is great, I am not against that ofc) but with so few updates.

I, for my part, am a bit lost in my own guild story and geography, our Avalonian King is a player we never see ! I see Nocturnian folks debating the map of their own guild ! The diplomatic and political situation in Kaliphlin is quite impossible to understand after the civil war ! Examples that GOH needs to be updated are becoming numerous.

I think both the wiki and the main threads should be updated. If the leaders of the guild are in difficulty to do so, then they should find help with their most active players ! Perhaps it's time to promote some great old builders in their Guild ranks ?

I totally agree however I wish there was a way to keep all that info here in an organized matter rather than on an external site. I have an idea that would work I think but would require someone to volunteer to oversee the creation of a GoH Lore thread and be given the power of either a Mod or Reg which I do not think the EB lords wish to do

Yes that's a good idea Mike !

I will take the example of BoBS ships index and remember you that the one organising this is not neither Mod, nor Reg.

So, in the same way, here It could be one of the "old" players without such a rank dealing this GOH Lore thread and with the approval and/or help of an admin from time to time.

Isn't that essentially what the Guilds of Historica Story and Challenge Index is supposed to be? :wink: Right now it only reaches to the first Nocty Civil War, but I imagine the rest should be there at least by the start of Book III... unless what we're talking about is something more members-oriented (I haven't checked the wiki, so I'm not exactly sure what it is like...)

I remember once fixing some stuff in the Nestlands section. I might work on it again once I get some more story work out of the way.

Isn't that essentially what the Guilds of Historica Story and Challenge Index is supposed to be? :wink: Right now it only reaches to the first Nocty Civil War, but I imagine the rest should be there at least by the start of Book III... unless what we're talking about is something more members-oriented (I haven't checked the wiki, so I'm not exactly sure what it is like...)

That is exactly why I suggest someone be given the power and responsibility to be able to edit other people's posts other than the actual mods and regulators. But I wouldn't expect just anyone to be given that power. I suggest that if this is an option, those who know they will have the time for the next year to organize and compile GoH lore as well as overseeing other members each chronicling their own character's stories in a single post within the same thread, apply for the position and then the EB lords could pick the most suitable applicant.

Yes Garm, I know this index and read it already, it just needs to be frankly updated. :)

But I think we are also talking about a player oriented index, something that is showing what is built in an area, for example, or who is who and where we can find this kind or this race in GOH. It's not easy for a new player to, first, understand the rules of your guild, second, to read and understand the main lore (which is lacking a good year of development or more...), thirdly, find a way to develop his story, and without stepping in someone's toes, and fourthly, find out that when you think you're ready to do more, you're not ready ! Because you didn't follow everything here from the beginning and you feel it !

An update of the main threads first pages could be good. In Avalonia, it should have been done more regularly than a year since the new players don't even know if the land they are claiming is available. I saw my new neighbour established a common border by total chance !

I totally agree however I wish there was a way to keep all that info here in an organized matter rather than on an external site. I have an idea that would work I think but would require someone to volunteer to oversee the creation of a GoH Lore thread and be given the power of either a Mod or Reg which I do not think the EB lords wish to do

I'd volunteer to do that, but I think the EBlords wouls give me the powers... Altough I might have a pretty good result as normal member. Do you want me to try?

@Faladrin: it's quite normal you never see the King: he abdicated!

I am also in agreement with everyone regarding keeping the info here. The 4 guild pages and the main pages/storyline page could all stand to be updated here rather than on a wiki. I would be willing to put in the time and effort to revitalize the main pages with pictures of our characters, builds (cities, towns regions etc) and updated history.

Honestly it's just plain tough to find the time to keep up with as much content as gets created in a RPG like this. Eventually I think almost anyone would burn out, and then you've got another nice long out of date topic or wiki or whatever.

Don't let me discourage you though. :tongue:

I kept my slice of the Wiki updated for a while but then I sort of let my whole story fall into disrepair and right now I'm in the middle of a Tales of the Past storyline and I post a 16x16 once every six months. :laugh:

With BoBS now too I just don't have the time to work on the Wiki, but if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer those (write up a paragraph or something and then someone else can put it on the Wiki).

I totally agree that all the information needs to be updated first, but I think the wiki is a better place to learn information. In my personal experience, I spent about 3 months, from October through January browsing through topic posts, reading about every single page on a guild, and asking a lot of questions. Yet I still don't understand much. The wiki is a more organized way to find things, because it could take someone minutes to learn something while it look me months to learn something. This is also not my first experience with a wiki either. Wikis have helped me a lot in the past, so I think it will do the same. And about the "one year stands", of course we will get some of that, but after they read about GOH, we will also get builders who are here to stay. So please, I ask you again, don't let others go through what I had to do.

Edited by LegoEomer

That's true; the wiki would be probably the best option for a well organized place to find information. As I said, if there's a specific article you'd like me to write every now and then, let me know what about and I'll try to draft something (here on EB; I've not got time to do any of the formatting etc.).

Ok. So here is what I don't understand, who has the mod control at the wiki? That person should be able to restore the older versions of the wiki that were vandalized. That might be the first step.

I had it at one time but I gave it to someone else (can't remember who) when I became inactive there. If you do enough posting there, wiki should automatically assign the mod control to you, at least that was how I got it.

The chronicling of all the lore and stories somewhat conflicts with one of the major principles of GoH. We want to make it easy for people to build their stories without having to worry about aligning with everything else that has been written to date. As soon as you start trying to track everything everyone else has built, it becomes cumbersome, (and virtually impossible) to fit in with their storylines. This can be a major deterrant for new members. The real reason we claim territory in Avalonia is so you know that you can make up whatever you want, and your parcel is your own blank slate.

This has been demonstrated in Nocturnus recently with the people wondering who built where for the crater in the border.

I agree that we should keep track of the main Chapter storyline, and I will try to address that soon. This is much easier to grasp, and we would want members to incorporate this in their builds if they'd like

Please don't let me slow you down with the Wiki, I think it will be a valuable resource for interested members to use/add to.

The chronicling of all the lore and stories somewhat conflicts with one of the major principles of GoH. We want to make it easy for people to build their stories without having to worry about aligning with everything else that has been written to date. As soon as you start trying to track everything everyone else has built, it becomes cumbersome, (and virtually impossible) to fit in with their storylines. This can be a major deterrant for new members. The real reason we claim territory in Avalonia is so you know that you can make up whatever you want, and your parcel is your own blank slate.

This has been demonstrated in Nocturnus recently with the people wondering who built where for the crater in the border.

I agree that we should keep track of the main Chapter storyline, and I will try to address that soon. This is much easier to grasp, and we would want members to incorporate this in their builds if they'd like

Please don't let me slow you down with the Wiki, I think it will be a valuable resource for interested members to use/add to.

Let me explain this. We're not trying to record every little piece of information or record everybody's builds of anything like that. The purpose of the wiki, or at least, my purpose of the wiki, is to provide basic information so users can at least get a basic idea of GOH. Of course, people can interpret their own versions of their guild's history, but not anything too far out. Like for example, Avalonia gets conquered by Mitgardia or something like that. Or like basic things. Most of us don't know who the king of Historica is, who the leader of Avalonia is, guild borders, the current political scene in Historica, the history of Historica, etc. The idea is to provide builders with a basic clue of Historica, while giving them space to build. What it takes for most of us to ask a question, then wait a day for an answer, can be accomplished with the click of a button. So please, I ask again, can you guys help me?

I'm probably the least informed builder in GoH, but I do have a certain amount of down time that I can use to research and write up in the wiki. I'll get on it soon!

Thank you for putting some of your time in helping improve the wiki. You are the first person to sign up, and you have my gratitude for that. Remember, you don't have to be on the wiki full time. You can just come on the wiki every few days and update info. It isn't much, but it would greatly help others in the future.

I will help as well. Allthough im quite new, Ive read quite a lot of the old topics and challenges