You should just set your clock so that june 1st is now and you can tell lego that your clock said it was june 1st and oops well the review is up already oh well sorry

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm

That won't quite work, cause of the time zones and jim is in the same country as where the TLG HQ is.

so if TLC found out they could just stop supporting this forum and doing other stuff which is bad.

if everybody had everything when ever they wanted it there would be no fun, cause that would wear off.

Old boxes where sturdy and highly reusable with nice PLASTIC inserts and a plastic cover like old IBM keyboards had. High value, highly reusable.

In my opinion, TLG will never go back to plastic inserts in packaging: TLG has made a very strong commitment towards reducing its environmental impact (even considering more sustainable resources for its bricks). I think that even in an "Ultimate" sets like this, the packaging will still be discarded by let's say 60% of the buyers and cardboard is much easier to source and dispose of with relatively low impact.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm

Yes I'm on mobile so I can't access the sarcasm emoji ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by MRP_

That won't quite work, cause of the time zones and jim is in the same country as where the TLG HQ is.

so if TLC found out they could just stop supporting this forum and doing other stuff which is bad.

Billund is in Denmark, Jim is from The Netherlands. I know the Danish would like to, but Denmark is not part of The Netherlands.

if everybody had everything when ever they wanted it there would be no fun, cause that would wear off.

Agreed, however, when I would have everything I wanted whenever I wanted I would have great fun, all the time :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry for off topic nonsense :classic:

Edited by Didumos69

High value, highly reusable.

loadedup.jpg

In what way is this reusable?

Do you use such things for sorting parts when MOCing? That would be a lot of wasted space with those transparent plastic trays with single-piece recesses. It can really only be used for repacking that same set, and even then, all the pieces from that same set could be packed in a much smaller box...

Now I agree that there's nothing special about the Porsche packaging, but I haven't yet encountered any single box in my 20+ years of buying Lego sets that I personally considered keep-worthy. Not even the Lego Games or the Architecture sets. A box is packaging, and I don't need TLC's packaging as I have a much more economic storage system myself.

So yeah... for me, the ultimate packaging just means more waste. The environment will be thrilled... At least it's paper and not plastic as it was with sets like 8868.

@nerdsforprez:

While I can completely follow your logic and it's pretty obvious why TLG called it the Ultimate, the complaint by a part of the community is still valid. It is "just" a comment on the practice that was chosen, similar to a political comment. Technic should be about making real functions a buildable experience in a toy format - at least that is how it started. And while I really do enjoy the new more realistic styling of the new models, I would still like amazing functions underneath.

So while I can understand that TLG is following the money trail and all in all esp. Technic made a change towards amazing models in the recent years which undoubtedly has to do with it's (financial) success, a "Ultimate" label on a possibly (I'm waiting to see for myself) flawed model would be a slight step down. As a family owned company I think they can be a bit more "free" with how they market their products and can take risks (which the BWE could actually be - I don't think it's an accident that such a model comes at the same time as the porsche).

However, seeing e.g. the advanced model line which started with the 10187 VW Bug, which was very different from all following models, or the difference between the 8421 mobile crane and the 42009 mk2 I'm very sure TLG can improve in the future. And if technic models at such price point will be a success I'm confident we are in for a few treats soon enough.

I wonder if those new gearshift parts can be put right next to an 8/24 tooth gear, as an axle joiner without it catching on the teeth, if the gear is placed at the centre of the gearshift piece. Would be useful for very specicalized scenarios, for example, you need a 13 lengh axle but they dont exist so you must connect two 6L axles with this part, having 1L between the two 6L's, AND you also happen to need an 8 or 24 tooth gear beside it too (6+6+1=13L)

Edited by SNIPE

I wonder if those new gearshift parts can be put right next to an 8/24 tooth gear, as an axle joiner without it catching on the teeth, if the gear is placed at the centre of the gearshift piece. Would be useful for very specicalized scenarios, for example, you need a 13 lengh axle but they dont exist so you must connect two 6L axles with this part, having 1L between the two 6L's, AND you also happen to need an 8 or 24 tooth gear beside it too (6+6+1=13L)

They do look tight in the middle section so my guess would be that this will fit.

Edited by Didumos69

Those boxes even with its shortcoming can be used to store parts , but a better example are the others that I linked. that is useful cardboard.

lego-store-and-carry.jpg

bricklink.jpeg-thumb.jpeg

Ye but no harm in having it twice it's fine

Actually didn't watch the first time so thanks I guess, btw jim does this not count as a review? Or is the embargo just down the toilet?

In what way is this reusable?

Do you use such things for sorting parts when MOCing? That would be a lot of wasted space with those transparent plastic trays with single-piece recesses. It can really only be used for repacking that same set, and even then, all the pieces from that same set could be packed in a much smaller box...

Now I agree that there's nothing special about the Porsche packaging, but I haven't yet encountered any single box in my 20+ years of buying Lego sets that I personally considered keep-worthy. Not even the Lego Games or the Architecture sets. A box is packaging, and I don't need TLC's packaging as I have a much more economic storage system myself.

So yeah... for me, the ultimate packaging just means more waste. The environment will be thrilled... At least it's paper and not plastic as it was with sets like 8868.

I agree with this. A box is just a...box to me. I always flatten them and stash them somewhere or just recycle them. Plus the whole idea of a "coffee table" instructions booklet is just funny to me.. I mean seriously?!

I'd probably end up getting this set for the parts, but honestly I just wish focused less on the "porsche experience" and more on the actual set

Wow that's ridiculous. just wondering, is it cheaper to buy it via the internet and shipping it to australia?

Could you please continue the pricing-buzz on the Porsche pricing-topic? If it's about price in relation to value okay, but when it's about exchange rates and posting costs etc., I think it's a bit off topic.

There's a separate topic for discussing the price. Let's stick to non-price discussion here.

Sorry but i did not see this particular question from roppie11 in the other discussion and had I posted my answer to it in the other topic i'm sure it would have made exactly no sense without the original question to connect the dots.

I don't attend this eurobricks forum anywhere near the frequency I once did and it is for this prime example of what is has become and it is a real shame..

An answer to any question relating to the specific model 42056 is far more "on topic" than a helpful busy body taking the time to point out that a comment is "off topic" wouldn't we all agree?

But hey "on with the show" I look forward to the next 102 pages without a single deviation from the allowed content whatever that might be.. I'm sure it won't get boring at all.

anyone spot anything juicy in the parts list?

Here's a few screenshots if anyone wants to look

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

The limitations that I attribute to LEGO designers are specific to them. Buyer desires, market demands, trying to meet demands of mid-thirty engineers and 16 year old high school students that don't even have a HS education..... yes.... HUGE limitation.....

Well, if they're in high school they have a high school education, just not a complete one :wink: By the way, I agree with everything you said.

... The Porsche kit costs 300 € which however is still cheaper by € 155,000 than the original.” ...

Reminds me of my first summer job back in 1989 ... I was in Toronto (Canada), and one day after work, I stopped by a store that specialized in die-cast models. Of course, it being a summer job, I was wearing a suit and tie ... so I asked the salesperson for the price of a porsche, and he gave me a ridiculous price, to which I replied: "I'm gonna save my money for the real one". The look on his face was ... well, stunned.

Reminds me of my first summer job back in 1989 ... I was in Toronto (Canada), and one day after work, I stopped by a store that specialized in die-cast models. Of course, it being a summer job, I was wearing a suit and tie ... so I asked the salesperson for the price of a porsche, and he gave me a ridiculous price, to which I replied: "I'm gonna save my money for the real one". The look on his face was ... well, stunned.

That's pretty funny.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Paul Boratko

Sorry but i did not see this particular question from roppie11 in the other discussion and had I posted my answer to it in the other topic i'm sure it would have made exactly no sense without the original question to connect the dots.

I don't attend this eurobricks forum anywhere near the frequency I once did and it is for this prime example of what is has become and it is a real shame..

An answer to any question relating to the specific model 42056 is far more "on topic" than a helpful busy body taking the time to point out that a comment is "off topic" wouldn't we all agree?

But hey "on with the show" I look forward to the next 102 pages without a single deviation from the allowed content whatever that might be.. I'm sure it won't get boring at all.

I did not mean to be a busybody taking away your pleasure here at Eurobricks. I'm sorry if that's the way you have perceived my comment. I was actually referring to the whole pricing-discussion and not just your post. I should probably not have posted my comment in reply to your post.

The suggestion of using the Porsche-pricing topic for price related posts was also done by someone else, but completely ignored. I found that pitiful, but I also understand that you can't just move a running conversation to another topic. Next time I'll formulate this kind of comment as a suggestion rather than a demanding question.

Peace, or as you say, 'on with the show' :wink:

Edited by Didumos69

Here's a few screenshots if anyone wants to look

Thanks! But do you have those in larger resolution? Right now we can't read the part counts...

But is that yellow axle an axle 11? It sure looks like one. After al, there're three lengths of gray axles (probably 3, 7, 9) and two lengths of yellow axles (probably 5, 11).

Edited by Erik Leppen

But is that yellow axle an axle 11?

It is.

This is definitely a must have...

I think you're a bit late to the party m8, might wanna read back a little and reconsider...

Counting down the hours for Jim's and Sariel's review ! :) :)

Counting down the hours for Jim's and Sariel's review ! :) :)

It should be 1st of june in Samoa about right now...! that must count.