Capt Wolf

[ESL -FB] FIrst Command

Philip Janszen hurriedly made his way from the docks to the local offfice of the Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company. His presence had been requested by the regional trade manager, Willem Guilder. Philip’s mind raced as he tried to figure out what this was all about. Was he in trouble? He couldn’t think of anything out of line. He’d served faithfully for years.

Maybe he was being assigned to a new ship, he thought. The shipyards were busy as the discovery of islands to the east had the interest of all merchant factions. Maybe he was being assigned to one of the MCTC’s big class 5 trade ships. What captain would he serve under this time? What would his specific assignment be? Not all ship assignments were created equal…

Philip snapped back to the real world as he reached Guilder’s office, a small but meticulously kept white stone building with ubiquitous red tile roof. Guilder’s door was closed but ajar. Philip knocked sharply on the door and it drifted open, revealing Guilder behind his desk. “Ah, Janszen, come in.”

Philip strode in confidently, hiding the whirlwind of thoughts that flooded his mind. He had come straight from the dock; he hadn’t even stopped by the boarding house to put on his coat or hat. He hoped he was appropriately dressed for a meeting with the regional manager.

“Janszen, I’ve been looking over your record with us. I’ve heard a lot of good things about you from Captain Reyngout.” Relief filled Philip. He had served with Captain Reyngout on several successful voyages. “As I’m sure you know,” Gulder continued, “we’re scrambling to put as many ships into service as we can. We want to beat the ETWC, not to mention those Oleon and Corrington scoundrels, to the new riches in the east. As such, I have new orders for you, assigning you the Lady of Madrice.” Gulder handed the officially signed and stamped papers to Philip.

guider_and_janszen.jpg

Philip’s heart sank. The Lady of Madrice was a class 2 sloop, one of the smallest ships in the MCTC’s fleet of trading vessels. Although it was consistently praised by its captains as having excellent sailing qualities, it was an aged vessel. And because it was such a small ship, the crew would be few in number, and in cramped quarters. If you drew some troublemakers in the crew, such an assignment could be aggravating.

Then the light bulb went on over Philip’s head. “Sir, did you say you were assigning me to the ship, or assigning me the ship?”

Guilder stepped out in front of his desk. “I am assigning you command of the Lady of Madrice. You are to see to her outfitting and fill out her crew. There are a few men assigned to her already, but you will need to find a first mate. Have her ready to sail this month. Refer to the orders for details.”

Philip stood there dumbstruck for a moment, then regained his senses. “Thank you, sir!” Guilder reached out and shook Philip’s hand. “A successful voyage will be thanks enough for now. Congratulations, CAPTAIN Janszen.”

janszen_is_captain.jpg

Very nice build! The maps and globe are a great touch. Eager to see you do the MCTC proud! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks! If there's a way to coordinate our efforts in the MCRA, let me know. A free build and license application for the Lady of Madrice is just waiting on a few pieces from Bricklink.

Nice interior and story writing :classic:

But aren't those glasses a tad to modern for being in the age of sail...?

Nice interior build. It's pretty basic but it hits the high points and is designed well. Good job on the story too. About those glasses... 18th century, I believe? That fits the time period. Keep it up.

Thanks. I figured the glasses were right on the edge for being correct for the period. I wanted to emphasize the manager as someone who spends a lot of time with maps and ledgers and other written material, so if anyone would have glasses, he would.

I've used a head with glasses too on a warehouse clerk (Jacob), it helps stereotype a character.

I like the introduction story.

Bart

Nice build and intro Captain Wolf! I agree with Kai about the globe and the maps on the wall pirate_wink.gif You really should be in the ETWC though... pirate_laugh2.gif

Oh, and did that manager just hand your captain a speeding ticket? pirate_look.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Oh, and did that manager just hand your captain a speeding ticket? pirate_look.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Yes he did! I rejected a couple of pictures I really liked and adjusted the minifigs because you could read it too easily.

Edited by Capt Wolf

Oleon scoundrels??? Death to the infidel traders! :P (oh, lovely room and minifigs btw)

Edited by blackdeathgr

Yes he did! I rejected a couple of pictures I really liked and adjusted the minifigs because you could read it too easily.

pir_laugh2.gif Don't worry, I probably wouldn't have known if I didn't have that fig myself! I guess that's what you get from your superiors when you join the MCTC... pirate_tong.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

It was the size and shape of the glasses which felt anachronistic, not the idea of glasses itself.

Lovely little vignette, and a very clean build.

The interior looks very good, as does the minifigs. Cant see a problem with the glasses. pirate_classic.gif

It was the size and shape of the glasses which felt anachronistic, not the idea of glasses itself.

I see what you mean. It would have been better if I'd found rounder glasses.

Nice little intro scene. I like it very much!

Oh, and did that manager just hand your captain a speeding ticket?

I suppose since sloops are really fast, it's a preemtive speeding ticket pirate_laugh_new.gif