Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

17 minutes ago, Triceron said:

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/queer-eye-the-fab-5-loft-10291

Kind of a odd question, but what do people think of the Fab 5 set that's been on discount for months now?  It looks like a decent source for white and gray bricks, and overall the price is good per-piece.  Not much else to it though.

I'm not sure if it'd be better just to get the bricks off PAB or Brickowl/Bricklink instead.  Thoughts?

I bought it at full price 🤦‍♂️ as a parts pack especially since I wanted the white masonry bricks. I think it’s a good deal at a discount 

500 masonry bricks is $85CAD on PaB, so I guess it's a good deal.

I'd rather have the 500 masonry bricks though

Edited by Sir Dano

13 hours ago, Triceron said:

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/queer-eye-the-fab-5-loft-10291

Kind of a odd question, but what do people think of the Fab 5 set that's been on discount for months now?  It looks like a decent source for white and gray bricks, and overall the price is good per-piece.  Not much else to it though.

I'm not sure if it'd be better just to get the bricks off PAB or Brickowl/Bricklink instead.  Thoughts?

Look at the inventory and see if the parts are worth it for your style of building.

12 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Sell the figs and you will have a good deal.

The figures are not selling very well. The prices have really dropped and there is years worth of stock at current sales volumes on bricklink.

I think I mentioned the new Monkie Kid weapons here before. New Elementary has a review of one of the sets and apparently they're a pre-pack that comes in the three largest sets. Here's a picture in case anyone has any interest in them:
weapon%20pack.jpg

I need that weapons pack, lol.

Looks like it'll be a pricy after-market bag if they ever go on market.

I wonder if they'll go up on PAB....

Edited by Triceron

11 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I hope LEGO eventually does them in pearl silver as well.

Yes, silver, gunmetal grey and black please! :drool::grin:

Yeah I noticed the weapons in the photos.  I really like the look of those weapons.  As others have said they will be useful in other colors too.  The piece in the middle of the photo could easily be used for a priest, pastor, etc.  

9 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

I now have the expectation of a large medieval set every year now as result of the BrickLink Designer Program.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/main.page

It'll be a hard sell for me if they don't get the benefit of Lego backing em with custom prints.  It's all about the minifgs and accessories for me.

Like I'd love to see some throwback Wolfpack or Black Knight builds up there, but without the right parts that really set them apart, it'd just feel like the Medieval 3-in1 having minifigs with pirate torsos or the sad excuse of the wizard in the new Lion Knights castle.

I'd rather have nothing to do with that bricklink program given how things sell out instantly and are never available again.

1 hour ago, Triceron said:

It'll be a hard sell for me if they don't get the benefit of Lego backing em with custom prints.  It's all about the minifgs and accessories for me. 

Me too, it is like a MOC made entirely out of bricks that are currently for sale in normal sets :sceptic: Just imagine how different the castle in the forest would have been this year since the creator could use all the useful parts from the 90 year castle :def_shrug:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Me too, it is like a MOC made entirely out of bricks that are currently for sale in normal sets :sceptic: Just imagine how different the castle in the forest would have been this year since the creator could use all the useful parts from the 90 year castle :def_shrug:

I don't follow this logic at all. The 90 year castle introduced many new parts that are now available for entries in the BrickLink Designer Program. Of course the castle in the forest did not have access to the parts that where not yet available. 

6 hours ago, Triceron said:

Like I'd love to see some throwback Wolfpack or Black Knight builds up there, but without the right parts that really set them apart, it'd just feel like the Medieval 3-in1 having minifigs with pirate torsos or the sad excuse of the wizard in the new Lion Knights castle.

Good points. It's more about the build and display value for me.

4 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

I'd rather have nothing to do with that bricklink program given how things sell out instantly and are never available again.

Instantly? I had no problem getting what I wanted, just open your browser as soon as it starts and you should not have a problem.

For me the lack of paper instructions is a big detractor as I have passed on a few sets for that reason alone.

Edited by Follows Closely

32 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

I don't follow this logic at all. The 90 year castle introduced many new parts that are now available for entries in the BrickLink Designer Program. Of course the castle in the forest did not have access to the parts that where not yet available. 

Yes for next year if you want to make a Castle set, on the other hand if you make a Pirate set most of the parts you need is probably out of limits now., so it is more or less how lucky you are with the timing. The castle in the forest would have a lot better minifigs, weapons, printed shields, saddle for the horse etc if it was made next year maybe even a lot of different bricks in the set itself :def_shrug:

38 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

For me the lack of paper instructions is a big detractor as I have passed on a few sets for that reason alone.

That is a good point, I really hope Lego keep including them is normal sets at least :wacko:

9 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Instantly? I had no problem getting what I wanted, just open your browser as soon as it starts and you should not have a problem.

In any sense of the word the Castle in the Forest sold out instantly. I went to order it as soon as I woke up and it was sold out. No, I didn't stay up all night waiting to purchase. But I was ready to buy first thing the day it released and couldn't. And now re-sellers have it listed for a fortune just to gouge collectors. That's one of the biggest issues with the Bricklink program and why I hope Lego keeps high demand sets on store shelves instead of the program.

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

In any sense of the word the Castle in the Forest sold out instantly. I went to order it as soon as I woke up and it was sold out. No, I didn't stay up all night waiting to purchase. But I was ready to buy first thing the day it released and couldn't. And now re-sellers have it listed for a fortune just to gouge collectors. That's one of the biggest issues with the Bricklink program and why I hope Lego keeps high demand sets on store shelves instead of the program.

💯 agree

8 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Yep, this too.

The limited productions just make these sets a collector's item with growing after-market value more than anything.  Not very ideal for enthusiasts who actually intend to build the damn things.  I mean it's not like they can't produce enough gray bricks for the castle in the forest, I don't know why it needs to be limited worldwide release.  They could literally just have it on queue and send out orders based on whoever orders em, since all the bricks are gonna be sourced straight from Lego anyways.

1 hour ago, Triceron said:

Yep, this too.

The limited productions just make these sets a collector's item with growing after-market value more than anything.  Not very ideal for enthusiasts who actually intend to build the damn things.  I mean it's not like they can't produce enough gray bricks for the castle in the forest, I don't know why it needs to be limited worldwide release.  They could literally just have it on queue and send out orders based on whoever orders em, since all the bricks are gonna be sourced straight from Lego anyways.

It is because producing boxes and picking and packing sets on demand is very expensive. I believe most of the parts were available through PAB online. You can order the set that way, without the box. But doing it on demand like that will cost much more.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

It is because producing boxes and picking and packing sets on demand is very expensive. I believe most of the parts were available through PAB online. You can order the set that way, without the box. But doing it on demand like that will cost much more.

my biggest issue with sets like this (in addition to MOCS) i will start to build them and i run into a spot where i don't actually have the 2 brisk on page ## and i get stuck - sometime i have it in another color and i keep building. My inventory is large but not large enough and organized enough to be able to compare what im missing. Castle in the Forest i DL the instructions and right off the bat i didn't have the exact baseplates used in the wedge or the right color, lol. I know i could put it onto something else, its just a general issue i run into.

I did the Rebrickable Castle ramp which is great by the way but i didnt have these weird Brown Brackets. stalled me for like a week and half while i tried to find a BL vendor who not only had them but had other stuff i wanted... could just be a MY ISSUE - answer have more loose lego bricks. lol

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

my biggest issue with sets like this (in addition to MOCS) i will start to build them and i run into a spot where i don't actually have the 2 brisk on page ## and i get stuck - sometime i have it in another color and i keep building. My inventory is large but not large enough and organized enough to be able to compare what im missing. Castle in the Forest i DL the instructions and right off the bat i didn't have the exact baseplates used in the wedge or the right color, lol. I know i could put it onto something else, its just a general issue i run into.

I did the Rebrickable Castle ramp which is great by the way but i didnt have these weird Brown Brackets. stalled me for like a week and half while i tried to find a BL vendor who not only had them but had other stuff i wanted... could just be a MY ISSUE - answer have more loose lego bricks. lol

Yeah, building someone else's MOC like that can be annoying, unless you sort out all the parts first which can be boring. Even worse if you have to order parts in and wait for them to arrive.

10 hours ago, MAB said:

Just my opinion, but I don't think they necessarily need to get fancy with the packaging other than making a custom box.  The rest shouldn't be any different 'packing on demand' than literally ordering every PAB part online.

Now, I'm not sure the exact relationship between Lego and Bricklink on how this is done, but I feel like it could be/should be streamlined to the point where these sets would literally be an extension of PAB with a custom box.  The infrastructure for the entire system is already available, the only difference being the box and delivery system being done through Bricklink rather than Lego direct.

5 hours ago, natesroom said:

my biggest issue with sets like this (in addition to MOCS) i will start to build them and i run into a spot where i don't actually have the 2 brisk on page ## and i get stuck - sometime i have it in another color and i keep building. My inventory is large but not large enough and organized enough to be able to compare what im missing.

I totally relate to this.  I like to download instructions of the sets I like just to see the techniques and see if I can recreate it with what I have.  That usually gets me going down a bricklink rabbit hole

35 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Just my opinion, but I don't think they necessarily need to get fancy with the packaging other than making a custom box.  The rest shouldn't be any different 'packing on demand' than literally ordering every PAB part online.

Now, I'm not sure the exact relationship between Lego and Bricklink on how this is done, but I feel like it could be/should be streamlined to the point where these sets would literally be an extension of PAB with a custom box.  The infrastructure for the entire system is already available, the only difference being the box and delivery system being done through Bricklink rather than Lego direct.

It isn't an extension of PAB though, as these sets are not individually hand picked on demand. If they were, they'd charge PAB prices and they'd cost even more than they already are. They are packed like regular LEGO sets now. The original ADP sets were hand picked and subject to even worse delays.

I think part of the draw of these sets is the exclusivity. If they were no limit and no decorated box I doubt they'd sell anywhere near as well. Part of it is the collectability / investment nature of LEGO these days. A bag of bricks is not attractive to collectors but would suit a builder.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Part of it is the collectability / investment nature of LEGO these days. A bag of bricks is not attractive to collectors but would suit a builder.

I think this pretty much nails where we sit on this topic.  I come at this from a builder's perspective (while also being a collector), and it's very clear the entire Bricklink Designer system is built around collecting and investment, due to the limited production and exclusivity.  I can't say I'm enthused by having to compete with others globally in a Black Friday style exclusive purchase that sells out within minutes/hours of release.

All the sets are made with builders and enthusiasts in mind.  We have another avenue for more Castle theme, and it's gated because of the nature of all Bricklink Designs being exclusive collector sets with a very limited global run.  I think it sucks potentially missing out on a theme that is already quite limited.  These sets go directly into the after-market on release.

Edited by Triceron