JanetVanD

[MOC] Her Majesty's Theatre, London

I'm under a great impression!!! I've been collecting LEGO sets for a quarter of a century but I seldom see anything compareble to your creation and level of techniques! How long have you been creating LEGO sets to become such a skillful master builder?!!! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. I wish I learn from you. It looks very realistic. The longest I build is half a year.

I like the playability of your creation and that you combined a few different ideas in one set. Perhaps we can exchange building techniques because I like some of your ideas. Wishing you success at the Brick2015!

Can only repeat the praise from other posters here. It looks like the real thng. It is just amazing.

Smashing. Detailing perfect both inside and out, great colours and a great rendition of the original.

Keep clicking those bricks together!

It's so good!

Can you show us pictures of the interior? Please?

They're in the link under the main picture, gamejutzu. Prepare to be astounded, I definitely was.

http://janetvand.deviantart.com/gallery/56892722/Her-Majesty-s-Theatre-London

The second floor windows are not 100% purist, but as purist as I could get.In order to match the windows of the real-life theatre. I used 1x4x5 standard old windows and applied strips trimmed from official Lego sticker sheets to divide the panes. This was only done after several days of trialling all the purist possibilities I could think of, taking into consideration aesthetics and sturdiness.

You are forgiven for that one :grin:

Wow, very very nicely done. I love the interior as well as the lightning of it. I'll make sure to check it out in London.

One of the coolest builds I have ever seen. The interior and full stage setting make it that much more amazing.

If you don't mind my asking; is there a story behind choosing this for a MOC and was this a one-person build?

I used 1x4x5 standard old windows and applied strips trimmed from official Lego sticker sheets to divide the panes. This was only done after several days of trialling all the purist possibilities I could think of, taking into consideration aesthetics and sturdiness.

There is a - very sophisticated - built solution for that problem by lafabrick, see MOC House's Lille-Fives Front 2 Just in case ... :wink:

In answer to Xon67's questions,

I had it in the back of my mind to build a theatre of some sort after having looked at an old wooden architech's model in the Victoria & Albert Museum years ago. Then I went to see The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre and loved it! During the intermission, I looked around the auditorium and thought "This is it!"

So when I got home, I searched for pictures of the theatre and just got started. I will confess that about a third of the way through, when the detailing started to get really tricky, I started to have doubts about my own ability to build it as well as I had hoped to, and I worried that I had bitten off more than I could chew. This is where having supportive friends and family comes in, to give encouragement just when it is needed most.

This has been primarily a one-person build,but "no man is an island" (or woman) so the above-mentioned moral support was very important. Also, since my daughter is extremely good at building minifigure characters, I gave her the job of creating the audience of hundreds of minifigures, which she managed to do without having any two figures alike! Finally, exhibiting this MOC will certainly not be a one-person job, since it will take at least two people to lift each section! (It comes apart into 5 sections for transport)

There is a - very sophisticated - built solution for that problem by lafabrick, see https://www.flickr.c...04/8198159110/. Just in case ... :wink:

That's a very clever way of dividing a window! I'll keep it in mind for the future. However, in the theatre, some of the interior can only be viewed by peering through the windows, so I needed to have a single, clear pane to allow as much visibility through it as possible.

Simply Stunning! :wub: The detail is just amazing, you did an outstanding job making this feel so realistic!

I don't mean to be too critical because the rest of the model is absolutely sublime but it's missing a chandelier; the chandelier is critical to the plot of Phantom of the Opera.

I don't mean to be too critical because the rest of the model is absolutely sublime but it's missing a chandelier; the chandelier is critical to the plot of Phantom of the Opera.

You're right, of course, about the chandelier; I seriously considered building one but since the chandelier doesn't feature in the scene on stage, I decided to leave it out.

Absolute stunning build! What a massive level of details, both exterior and interior. Salut!

The entire thing is fantastic, but the interior is just breathtaking! *huh* Great work, just love all the gold details especially the arches and the roof! :thumbup:

Just joining the chorus. Amazing exterior, mind-boggling interior. So glad I clicked through! All of that gold is just....wow.... :wub:

Well done. I would hate to see the BrickLink invoices :sick: