CrispyBassist

[MOC] NYNH&H Budd RDC

22466717189_2eb3e0583c_z.jpg

I've been working on this one for a while now and I'm finally done with the building phase of it. The next step would either be to put on decals, but I'm contemplating painting it metallic silver (the gray parts that is) to replicate the stainless steel exterior of the real cars. I want to hear opinions on painting it though. I don't think it looks 100% right unpainted, but I know most RDCs weren't too shiny in service. It's also a mix of light grey and light bluish grey bricks. As of now I'm thinking of holding off on paint til I've gotten a few opinions after people have seen it in person.

22440425498_f46b0e71fc_z.jpg

It's powered by an Sbrick, which I do have a few gripes about (as everyone seems to). It works well for me, the biggest plus being that I don't have to rework the washboard roof so that the IR receiver can see out. I wanted to do directional lights, but Brickstuff lights don't seem to work that way with the Sbrick. Might have to modify the wiring a bit.

22858798615_7d17f546e1_z.jpg

I've started on an interior as well, only partially for now due to my short supply of blue chairs and the fact that the battery box and Sbrick need to sit in there for the time being.

I'll probably be building a second, either an RDC-2 (combine) or RDC-3 (RPC combine). Then I'll put all the Power Functions bits in the baggage/post office compartment to hide them better.

This one is going to be numbered after New Haven 47, or i may redo the colors of the front and make it New Haven 32. Both of these live at the Danbury Railway Museum, near my hometown in New York.

More photos can be found in my Flickr album.

Let me know what y'all think!

I've been following your progress on Flickr. It's good to see it complete and it looks amazing!

Chapeau!

I don't know anything about the prototype, but this model looks very interesting! :thumbup:

Please let me pose two questions: Is this car able to negotiate curves? And how on earth did you build this beautifully curved roof?

It's good to see it complete and it looks amazing!

I don't know anything about the prototype, but this model looks very interesting! :thumbup:

Please let me pose two questions: Is this car able to negotiate curves? And how on earth did you build this beautifully curved roof?

Thanks guys!

A little background on the RDC: Budd Rail Diesel Car

It actually can negotiate standard Lego curves and switches. I'll have to work on the steps a bit in order for it to be able to pull something else.

The roof took some time to get right! I reverse-engineered the vents on Carl Greatrix's Class 55 Deltic and modified it a bit. I posted the technique on my Filckr as well, feel free to use it!

Wonderful. Like Tenderlok said the roof is beautiful.

Thanks for the additional information!

Now that I know some prototype photos, I like your model even better. Great! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great model!

The next step would either be to put on decals, but I'm contemplating painting it metallic silver (the gray parts that is) to replicate the stainless steel exterior of the real cars. I want to hear opinions on painting it though. I don't think it looks 100% right unpainted, but I know most RDCs weren't too shiny in service. It's also a mix of light grey and light bluish grey bricks. As of now I'm thinking of holding off on paint til I've gotten a few opinions after people have seen it in person.

I would avoid painting it. You could swap the 1x2 Grill pieces with Metallic Silver ones, though I think finding other parts will be really hard.

Very nice. I like it without paint. I once saw an RDC in a rail yard on a road trip through Nevada, yours looks spot on.

Very nice. I used to see the MBTA RDCs from my bedroom window. They were converted to end cab cars by then in push-pull commuter service and didn't run on their own motors.

Painting feels un-LEGO, although it is a staple in the world of model railroading. :classic:

I stumbled on some of your WIP photos of this model and was impressed then, but it looks even better completed. Not only is it easily recognizable, you've got a lego model that could easily be mistaken for a conventional model railroad car. You've squeezed a lot of detail using some clever new (to me) building techniques in a relatively small space. I didn't think the tile bricks with grills would look so good but it really works well. This is fantastic MOC.

For all of my impure lego thoughts (and even a few painted parts) I personally would not paint an entire model. Getting unpainted lego to look so great is a massive challenge, if you painted it that would hide a lot of your meticulous creation... I personally like to leave an exposed stud here or in your case a standard lego color there to show that it is the real deal. Ultimately though, it is in the eye of the builder, so ponder it and then do what you prefer. If you keep thinking about the paint maybe build up an 8 stud long test section of the wall to paint and see how you like it. Otherwise, if it stays unpainted and it is a mix of old and new gray, perhaps find a fluorescent light that highlights the differences between the two colors and then standardize it to be all one or all the other color.

Like I said before I appreciate all the kind words! I'm pretty proud of the whole thing; a lot of work went into this one. I think it's one of my most realistic, for the first iteration at least.

I added a few decals to it. Ones that wouldn't be wasted if I decide to paint it.

22904453186_6b3cd1589a_z.jpg

Ultimately though, it is in the eye of the builder, so ponder it and then do what you prefer. If you keep thinking about the paint maybe build up an 8 stud long test section of the wall to paint and see how you like it. Otherwise, if it stays unpainted and it is a mix of old and new gray, perhaps find a fluorescent light that highlights the differences between the two colors and then standardize it to be all one or all the other color.

It's certainly growing on me in lbg. The light gray parts are easy to spot, not necessarily easy to switch out. But I am planning on doing a second one and adding a full interior to this one, which would be a prime opportunity for more major rebuilds.

I would avoid painting it. You could swap the 1x2 Grill pieces with Metallic Silver ones, though I think finding other parts will be really hard.

If I could I would have built it entirely in metallic silver. The whole painting idea came about as a way to get the same effect, yet keep the price down.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it to a show soon so some of y'all can see it in person!

Edited by CrispyBassist

I really love that model - looks stunning!

Sunday evening I went looking at your technic photos on your Flickr page, and started to play around with it. Lovely stuff. I even started playing with other curve options with 2x2x2/3 slopes and failed to go to bed before I had to leave for th airport around 5am.. ups! ;-)