Kivi

MOC Rural railway station

It took almost exactly two years from the first idea to completion of this diorama of a railway station. There is less emphasis on the station itself, as my main goal was to present it in the natural environment and have a try at building a landscape.

dsc00424.jpg

A railway line running at the foot of the hills, with railway station and adjacent bus stop, bridge and tunnel.

dsc00458.jpg

Station building in masonry style.

dsc00437.jpg

Bus stop with shelter

dsc00438.jpg

Covered bike racks

dsc00477.jpg

Some maintenance work on underground wiring needs to be done.

dsc00485.jpg

Functioning railway signal. The photo was deliberately taken with incorrect settings so that the light from signal could better be seen.

dsc00500.jpg

Bridge

dsc00492.jpg

Tunnel entrance

dsc00488.jpg

Detail of landscape

dsc00451.jpg

The river offers plenty of chances for recreation.

dsc00499.jpg

Aerial view. The entire thing measures 127x77 centimeters, while the estimated brick count is at least 10.000.

A few more pictures can be found here.

Very nice layout. The station is nice, but al those details make it stunning.

And I love that tunnel entrance. Brilliant work.

Any plans on expanding?

Nice! All those little details like the excavator and the people make it really stand out!!

That is a great diorama, lots of detail throughout. The tunnel entrance might be my favorite bit (after writing this and looking through the other comments, I see I'm not the only one), but there is so much to like in this build. All of the retaining walls are great, the inclusion of the overhead wire (so difficult to do on a full layout), the small construction site, and generally great use of the three dimensions.

That is an amazing diorama !

Nice work on the landscape, I can imagine the complexity encountered of not repeating the same pattern.

Very nice diorama. I like the details you put into it like the overhead wire, tunnel entrance and signal light.

Great diorama with lots of details. I too like the tunnel entrance. Great technique. Will we see more modules added?

Thanks @all for comments.

The diorama won't grow any larger. It was built to the standard size of display areas at our LUG events (3x5 baseplates). And through the years I have also found out that this is moreor less the largest size that can be stored and moved around without too much trouble. So instead of expanding it something completely new will be created some time in the future. :wink: