Sign in to follow this  
kinggregus

[PTV Large] Market Day at St-Pedro

Market Day at St-Pedro

22147457938_4ebcdf78be_z.jpg

Today, St_Pedro’s main square, which is typically so busy, is occupied by only an old man.

22309153516_62080e8915.jpg

There is not much activity either in St-Pedro’s streets.

22147167180_14e0fb4800.jpg

This is because today is market day. Captain Bentley caught a large slave ship on its way to St-Pedro and is selling its content in exchange of what he likes the most: gold. Governor Osvaldo Jose German Geraldo is today’s best client. Business is good today.

22309153476_432002c16c.jpg

But god knows what these slaves will find behind the doors of St-Pedro’s fort.

21714115743_713a645f93.jpg

More pictures are available on my Flickr.

22147166300_43c4471565.jpg

Nice! That's a lot of profile bricks! I like all of the little details such as the cheese slope mosaic. I think studs up would work better than SNOT for that small landscape part. I also really like all of the angled parts.

I'm glad to see you had time to complete your entry. :thumbup:

You're venturing into sketchy territory King. Great job. :pir-grin:

Human atrocity at its grimest! :cry_sad: truly glorious entry. This is a wonderful Town setup. :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thanks so much for this very kind comment. Glad you like the setup as the layout is the streets were the first thing I started with.

Nice! That's a lot of profile bricks! I like all of the little details such as the cheese slope mosaic. I think studs up would work better than SNOT for that small landscape part. I also really like all of the angled parts.

Thanks. When these profile bricks were available on PAB I think I tool one full large cup. I had never gotten the chance to fully use them until now.

I could not agree more that it would have looked better to make the piece of grass studs up. However, the issue was that I had to work within a very limited space (3 studs wide). This proved to be the best technique to fill in that space.

I'm glad to see you had time to complete your entry. :thumbup:

You're venturing into sketchy territory King. Great job. :pir-grin:

Thanks so much Phred. I did have plenty of time indeed. The issue is that you always want more pirate_satisfied.gif . I had to make some compromises as I wanted to also build a ship.

Also what is not shown in this pictures, is that it can light up by turning some of the docking poles. But Lego lights are of such poor quality that I am wondering if I should bother with them anymore.

Nice sea side town build. I like how all the roads lead to the "market". It seems peaceful with the orderly sale of goods.

Niiice, great textures and details all around. I was wondering where the gory bits were when I saw it on flickr but now it makes sense. How many slaves did Bilbo get?

Beautiful entry, horrible topic. Well done!

Thanks so much Sigolf Brimabane. Glad you like it.

Nice sea side town build. I like how all the roads lead to the "market". It seems peaceful with the orderly sale of goods.

Thank you dr_spock. It was actully the first time I build roads. Glad you like it. I agree that it looks very peaceful compared to your build pirate_laugh_new.gif

Niiice, great textures and details all around. I was wondering where the gory bits were when I saw it on flickr but now it makes sense. How many slaves did Bilbo get?

I can understand the confusion. The truth is that I do not master action scenes (or the posability of minifigs) as many pro builders like you do. I wanted to express that during the golden age of piracy, there was also something very sinister which is slavery.

Interrestingly, what I depicted in my MOC was quite rare. Pirates were typically no reselling slaves but incorporating them in their crew. They also prefered attacking slave ships when they were on their ways to Europe with plenty of goods.

A grim message, indeed. Very well built, though; lots of interesting textures and details.

Thanks so much Graham Gidman. Glad you like the different textures as I tried to vary the building techniques.

Very good build, I love the town, I see a lot of work went into it.. But for me, this is a rather inappropriate entry. It's a bit too serious, and slavery unfortunately really happened. A grim time for the world. For the building, don't get me wrong, I'm all in on it, but as for the subject, somewhat too serious, for me, that is.

You're really a king of terrific stories and small details. For example, is the fish on the fountain from a samurai 1998-1999 set?

Thanks so much Staslegomaster. I had not realized that the fish was from a Samurai set. I had purchased a few of these pieces a long time ago on BrickLink but never found a great use for them until this fountain.

I love the diagonal streets! The fountain is also a terrific detail that I may borrow...

Thanks! It was my first attempt at doing diagonals streets and as mentioned earlier, this is the first thing I did in this MOC. It serves as a good basis to work on the buildings. As for the fountains, feel free to use or improve that detail!

Great building skills on the town layout, buildings and minifigs.

I'm not so sure about the subject matter though. It's seems too serous.

Very good build, I love the town, I see a lot of work went into it.. But for me, this is a rather inappropriate entry. It's a bit too serious, and slavery unfortunately really happened. A grim time for the world. For the building, don't get me wrong, I'm all in on it, but as for the subject, somewhat too serious, for me, that is.

Hi PaddyBricksplitter and Brick Capone. I am sorry that you feel that way. This MOC was definitely not build to hurt anyone or to derail from the original aim of the contest. I do not want to argue with your points, as they are quite justified but I just felt that slavery was quite evil and was therefore within the aim of the contest.

I did consider doing a battle scene but I felt that I could use this MOC to show something evil in a different way.

Thanks so much Staslegomaster. I had not realized that the fish was from a Samurai set. I had purchased a few of these pieces a long time ago on BrickLink but never found a great use for them until this fountain.

A few fish are used as a comb of a roof (or comb board) for a samurai castle.

Wonderful town!

Very, very large. And very well done! The layout here is awesome!

Lovely!

Thanks so much guys! Large does not always mean better unfortunately. There have been some amazing creations in this contest. I am however glad you like it!

This is a wonderful town layout with enough variety to keep the eye busy for a while. You've used lots of good techniques and colors, and the streets are brilliant. The size is nice too - big enough to be marvelous but not gigantic. I'm impressed with the whole of it, and your fountain looks perfect with the trans-blue dishes for water. Excellent work.

I think there's too much of a knee-jerk reaction to the subject matter. Sure, slavery was unsavory, brutal and dehumanizing. But the same is true of murder, torture, and rape - all employed by pirates at various times, and occasionally by ordinary civilians as well. I think the biggest issue for most people is race rather than slavery, and a desire to be politically correct. But I see no sense in trying to whitewash history - it happened, we can't change it, but we can learn from it. Depicting that time period fully requires some reference to slavery, at which point historic accuracy is the determining factor. As for the contest, this is perhaps the best all-around entry but it is somewhat lacking in the "Out for Blood" part beyond implied violence.

Very good entry and excellent work.

Very nice little town. I like how all of the buildings look different. Are there interiors on any of them? I also like how the streets are irregular, making for interesting shapes overall.

Nice job!

This is a wonderful town layout with enough variety to keep the eye busy for a while. You've used lots of good techniques and colors, and the streets are brilliant. The size is nice too - big enough to be marvelous but not gigantic. I'm impressed with the whole of it, and your fountain looks perfect with the trans-blue dishes for water. Excellent work.

I think there's too much of a knee-jerk reaction to the subject matter. Sure, slavery was unsavory, brutal and dehumanizing. But the same is true of murder, torture, and rape - all employed by pirates at various times, and occasionally by ordinary civilians as well. I think the biggest issue for most people is race rather than slavery, and a desire to be politically correct. But I see no sense in trying to whitewash history - it happened, we can't change it, but we can learn from it. Depicting that time period fully requires some reference to slavery, at which point historic accuracy is the determining factor. As for the contest, this is perhaps the best all-around entry but it is somewhat lacking in the "Out for Blood" part beyond implied violence.

Very good entry and excellent work.

Captain Dee,

Thank you so much for your comment. It really made me happy. It was also an eye opener as I do agree that it is lacking the "Out for Blood" part. However, coming from Africa, I wanted to do something influenced by Africa.

Very nice little town. I like how all of the buildings look different. Are there interiors on any of them? I also like how the streets are irregular, making for interesting shapes overall.

Nice job!

Sorry for responding so late... I have been away for a while. Unfortunately this time I did not do any interiors as I was very tight with time.

It does have light though pir_laugh2.gif ... but I did not dare showing it as the luminosity of Lego light is embarrassing.

This is one impressive town! Keep it up!

Thanks Adrew, greatly appreciated!