Arctic_Ace

Should LEGO bring back a dedicated space theme?

What do I mean by a dedicated space theme? I am talking about a theme that only focuses on space, like Classic Space, a space theme that ran from 1978-1987. The thing I like best about Classic Space is that the whole theme was about space. During its ten year run there were 100 different space sets released.(and one set unreleased) An average of ten space sets per year. Although LEGO still has Space sub-themes like LEGO City Space, there are few space sets released in comparison to how many other City sets are released. I would like to see a new dedicated space theme so we can have more space sets more often.

Do you think LEGO should bring back a dedicated space theme like Classic Space? Please comment down below.

(and one set unreleased)

Eh? What set was that?

Anyway, I'm certain it will happen. Sooner or later. Maybe the new Star Warses will bomb so hard Lego'll scale back on the license, replace it with Space Police IV and onwards..

Good topic. This may seem far-fetched.. Or maybe not.. I don't know.. but, I'd like to see a Neo-Classic space series. With the modern versions of the classic space (with the green ones, too), it'd be a major hit! Imagine, neo-classic spaceships using new guys, new lego designs, new bricks, but with a bit of an old feel. Just a bit. Hm.. Space Police IV would be cool too, as I liked all the Space Police sets, be it I,II or III.

Edited by Brick Capone

They probably could if there is a strong enough business case. It has been 6 years since Space Police III. Pirates came back after a 5-6 years hiatus.

They were good open ended models with flexibility to rebuild by imagination and most of them had great swooshability. You basically built your own story with them, which is missing from the starwars franchise. Yes - bring back the old stuff.

I'm all for it, and while I adored Space Police III, I'd relish something with a bit of a wider brief than simply 'cowboys and indians in space'. I recognise that most sets now feature antagonistic factions but I think until Space Police came along it was all implied. Blacktron, when they were released, could have been space spies or space pirates but it wasn't explicit (although the colour scheme heavily flagged up a warning!) until they ended up in the SP slammer.

There are some nice sets on Ideas of course - Alien Riders is a great concept - craft piggy-backing on space-going creatures: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/107176

It'd probably be excessive humility if I didn't point out my own literal re-creation of Classic Space in my footer too!

Edited by MECHALEX

They were good open ended models with flexibility to rebuild by imagination and most of them had great swooshability. You basically built your own story with them, which is missing from the starwars franchise. Yes - bring back the old stuff.

Yes, that storybuilding aspect is so crucial for me to a set's appeal. I'm much happier buying Lego sets as presents when they have a couple of craft/vehicles and characters to weave stories around. Star Wars stuff is great, and is full of play features but is still tied to an established narrative... and it's all so *grey!*

:wacko: Oh guys, please: tho I would be happy like a child if I was wrong I guess there will never ever be any new CS - those designs and concepts are obsolete for TLG nevermind how much we all like it, they trying to come up with something new trying to push SPACE sets ideas further although the latest ones was - from the design point of view...they were more Earthly looking than SPACe to me, like Alien Abduction etc. - more flop than anything but still I like them too (eh, I have all SPACE sets so it speaks for itself, right? :sweet: ) - do not be that naive.

There may be some bits of CS stuff like the green neo CS minifig in Ideas mecha set "Exo" but I guess that's it, it would be like wanting astronauts in Space still using open fire for light instead of actual lights. :grin:

It reminds me now neverending saga of waiting for your new LDD 5 version or at least some update when it is more than clear to me they do not care for LDD users a bit: yea, they will leave the sw for themselves cos once it may be useful but definitely now at this moment of time and space it is dead, those who do not see it or do not want to will hope still for new versions but they will be disappointed I am almost sure (see what kind of answers official TLG emplyees are giving out to public when questioned...in another topic in Eurobricks forum, ah).

So as for me I stopped waiting for CS from official TLG or anything new about LDD, basically I do not need any new stuff there + I can avoid or have work arounds for known issues enabling me to do all I want - I myself can make some NEO CS if I am in need for it :laugh: , I can very happily live with the actual state of the things even there would really never ever be any update... :wink:

Just saying... :wink:

Edited by bublible

Part of what makes classic space classic is that it's long gone. 70's and 80's were very space popular ages in general. After the moon landing it took 20 years for the dust of fascination to settle. Star Wars being what essentially brought lego from the grave and keeping it very alive since, makes the possibility of any potential rival theme highly unlikely. The niche is too specific in comparison to the raging sw fanatics.

I like Classic Space so yeah I want to see it or maybe stuff like Ice Planet and Blacktron revivals, and I liked Galaxy Squad enough so even if they didn't go classic and just did new stuff that would be cool with me.

I like Benny's space ship but I don’t have the money or space for such a thing and I really think Classic Space should be more accessible than that.

I just want another Space theme! I don't mind if it's just a one wave thing like Castle and Pirates have been getting, but something clever and classy. I loved Alien Conquest actually, and am all for Lego getting inventive with the evergreens (Space is a lot more adaptable than Castle, after all! :laugh: )

So just any space theme. I'd love to see a resurgence of Blacktron, or Spyrius, but both seem unlikely to me. And that's fine. I'm sure we'll see spacemen fighting Aliens again, since that seems to be Lego's "PC" solution to humans fighting humans (somehow. :wacko: ) but as long as the Aliens look good and are not appropriating Insectoids' culture, then I'm more than happy. :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I really hope there'll be some new space theme soon. Classic or not, it doesn't really matter to me, only the theme and colour scheme are important.

Another Space Police would be insanely boring, there's been 3 already and they had little to combine with. Best choice, in my opinion, would be either a real space-like theme, ie exploration, mining, research, or the depiction of a society in space, like an equivalent of City but on spaceships, on the moon or on another planet.

I'll also insist on how important the colour scheme is. The white and transparent from Galaxy Squad was classy but really not interesting in my opinion. I like vivid coloured flashy spaceships, unlike the brown on grey with trans-black windows already found in Star Wars sets.

So rather than neo-classic-space, I'd say anything that doesn't betray that spirit would be fine, colourful, a little naive, and more importantly not just a good vs evil theme.

I really hope there'll be some new space theme soon. Classic or not, it doesn't really matter to me, only the theme and colour scheme are important.

Another Space Police would be insanely boring, there's been 3 already and they had little to combine with. Best choice, in my opinion, would be either a real space-like theme, ie exploration, mining, research, or the depiction of a society in space, like an equivalent of City but on spaceships, on the moon or on another planet.

I'll also insist on how important the colour scheme is. The white and transparent from Galaxy Squad was classy but really not interesting in my opinion. I like vivid coloured flashy spaceships, unlike the brown on grey with trans-black windows already found in Star Wars sets.

So rather than neo-classic-space, I'd say anything that doesn't betray that spirit would be fine, colourful, a little naive, and more importantly not just a good vs evil theme.

Yayks, man, you absolutely perfectly summarized it and I completely agree with you on this matter - I couldn't say it better myself! :thumbup:

Edited by bublible

"Should they bring back a dedicated Lego Space theme?" Yes, and I have no doubt that they will... eventually. But for now, I'm satisfied with the number of great sci-fi themes we're getting, whether or not they actually take place in space.

I've been getting back into my childhood LEGO lately. I have a handful of classic space and Futuron sets. But I was a bigger collector in the M:Tron, Blacktron 2, and Spyrius era. So a revival could be really neat. They've given nods in other sets and that might be because they have no reason to get back into those old factions.

But Nexo Knights does have a blue/white falcon knight. Very similar to the Black Falcon heraldry, so maybe they will get more classic factions involved.

As far as a revival of classic space...yes. I'd welcome it or something similar. The neo versions seem to be quite popular. But I am not a hardcore fanatic like some people.

(Space Police XVIII) It's 1526 Space Radar Buggy

Thanks. Pretty neat set.

This turned into a 'wishful thinking for a new space theme' thread, sooo...

I basically want an expansion of the Space Police III theme.

The blend of 'spaceship' and 'space car' designs was neat, hinting that space travel is now so commonplace you can hop in your personal little ship and complain that your commute to work twenty light-years away take sooooo long you guys. Opposing factions are a given, I think; police and criminals most likely. I'd love to see this built on, until a theme like Town in Space results, with spaceship service stations, shops and residential buildings and restaurants, hospitals and the like. Other factions could be worked in as references, as things that exist somewhere on the edges of wherever the story is taking place - there could be a Classic Space fleet outpost somewhere, Blacktron could show up to fill the role of criminals or space pirates..

What, bring back Space? Eww, no. Gross.

Exploring the far reaches of the galaxy with awesome space ships and rovers and bases? Sounds BORING!

Having lights and protrusions on your craft that might be weapons but also might be sensors thus forcing me to decide what they are? Sounds too ambiguous. Do you expect me to use my imagination? Isn't that stuff for nerds?

Next you're going to suggest using vibrant colors. Blue space ships? Colored windscreens? How GARISH! Grey space ships with clear windshields for life!

Also...paying homage to your roots and giving your most ardent fans something they REALLY WANT? It would be business suicide for sure! I mean kids HATE old style design sensibilities. Which is why none of them buy Star Wars stuff.

What, bring back Space? Eww, no. Gross.

Exploring the far reaches of the galaxy with awesome space ships and rovers and bases? Sounds BORING!

Having lights and protrusions on your craft that might be weapons but also might be sensors thus forcing me to decide what they are? Sounds too ambiguous. Do you expect me to use my imagination? Isn't that stuff for nerds?

Next you're going to suggest using vibrant colors. Blue space ships? Colored windscreens? How GARISH! Grey space ships with clear windshields for life!

Also...paying homage to your roots and giving your most ardent fans something they REALLY WANT? It would be business suicide for sure! I mean kids HATE old style design sensibilities. Which is why none of them buy Star Wars stuff.

Once again: you are not only good in good but as I see also in sarcasm and I'm all for that, great! :laugh:

Kind of a redundant question in this forum - who wouldnt want a new space theme here? :wink:

But yeah, I think the current pattern wont go away any time soon - a new conflict-based theme every few years.

What I really enjoyed about Space Police III is that it felt a bit like real-life scenarios, but in space. You had the cops 'n' robbers thing going, with the villains with their Brick Daddy crime boss, etc. The vehicles were great, like it was a biker gang/Mad Max mashup, just set in space. I would like to see more of that, life in space. Not just space exploration vehicles, venturing into the unknown, etc... Let's fast forward a century or two, assume space travel is commonplace, everyone has easy access to the technology necessary for life out there. What kind of cool ship designs would people create in that sort of society? What things would be needed to keep life going in space? Research stations? Mining ships or bases? Space houses, modular buildings? Think of all the city sets that are interesting for one reason or another, what would a space equivalent look like? I've read about the moonbase standard, something like that would be really cool to see in a series of sets.

I'm all for it, and while I adored Space Police III, I'd relish something with a bit of a wider brief than simply 'cowboys and indians in space'. I recognise that most sets now feature antagonistic factions but I think until Space Police came along it was all implied. Blacktron, when they were released, could have been space spies or space pirates but it wasn't explicit (although the colour scheme heavily flagged up a warning!) until they ended up in the SP slammer.

Space Police I arrested some Blacktrons too.

Everyone has their favourite flavour. It looks like people want a revival of the theme(s) they grew up with. Personally, I'd go bankrupt buying up CS sets made in the classic blue/grey/trans-yellow. Benny' sSS was enough to whet my appetite, and I've been fortunate enough to find portions of my Galaxy Explorer and some outposts. Which brings me to another point. What I missed most about the latest Space sets was an actual outpost, space station, moon base, whatever. So now, the plan is for saving funds for a massive Bricklink order for my own CS revival.