Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

Minifig parts and accessories you don't like

I'm a huge fan of minifigures and have been collecting them since 1993. But sometimes TLG comes out with a minifig part or accessory that's badly conceived and should be redesigned.

Here are a couple I don't care for:

60752.jpg

15501.jpg

The scimitar with nicks is disproportionately large. It might be OK if it had a longer handle and therefore could be considered a two-handed weapon, but it doesn't.

As for the short, scruffy beard, the top edge is wrong. Human facial hair doesn't grow at that angle. It should be flush with the face.

I also can't stand fleshy parts, but I was thinking more about unfortunate moulds rather than colours.

What parts do you not like and why?

Yeah, I'm kind of tired of that sword too.

I'd have to say the extremely generic hairs are a few.

Skirts.

73617.jpg

There's always a gap. It should be one stud longer to overlap.

EDIT: I agree with the scimitar. It's too big and cartoony, and I understand why they used it for fantasy castle, but they should not keep using it.

Edited by fred67

I agree that the skirts don't seem to fit quite right. But my least favorite are the skirts that some of the Star Wars Snowtroopers wear, they just look bad to me.

I never though much about the scimitar until I got the zombie pirate. It was the worst accessory in the latest CMF's. I think they missed the chance to make a zombie parrot.

I like the schimitar, but I totally agree about the beard... same with the mustache piece. Skirts are also pretty crappy, but the dual-moulded leg system will hopefully eliminate them soon enough (I'd love a reissue of Marge with duel-moulded legs for the skirt).

So far my biggest complaint about pieces in the CMF theme would be the soft plastic hat+beard combo piece they made for Lincoln. Awful!

Skirts are good when used right, like the S12 Spooky Girl

As this discussion is on official LEGO parts and not customs, I'm moving it to General LEGO Discussion.

I like the short beard piece. Facial hair is coarser that normal hair, it can grow like that if there's enough of it. The piece also leaves most of the face print visible, so it's gret for making characters IMO.

I don't like the old oversized walkie-talkie. The scimitar is also often used badly, I'd wish to see more of Pharao's Quest scimitar.

I also hate skirts, and I'm not a fan of the scimitar.

I love fleshies though.

I'll add to the disdain for those skirts, beards, and scimitars. Skirts are ill-fitting, those beards look terrible, and scimitars are large and cartoonish.

These are probably the top 3 offenders.

I think the new stud-shooting blasters look oversized, ugly, and completely un-gun-like. They seem to have been put to good use in that new part on Rey's Speeder, though.

Haha, that sword and beard is part of new Series 14 CMF Zombie Pirate.

I don't like fleshie parts. They clash with my yellow goodness from the 1980's. :laugh:

I don't like how fragile minifigure hooks are. Its near impossible to use them to hold things without them breaking a week later. I thought they solved the issue when the made the silver hook that appeared in Razar but nope still breaks.

I never though much about the scimitar until I got the zombie pirate. It was the worst accessory in the latest CMF's. I think they missed the chance to make a zombie parrot.

YES! I want one, that would have made the Pirate one of the best in the series! Oh well maybe someone from Lego will read this and at some point we'll get a zombie trendsetter with zombie chihuahua.

For me the scimitar is up there with the worst... I can't think of anything else at the moment.

As for skirts, I agree sometimes they work sometimes they don't... I think the Battle Goddess skirt is awesome because it makes use of the split issue and she has fantastic golden knickers :-)

I don't like how fragile minifigure hooks are. Its near impossible to use them to hold things without them breaking a week later. I thought they solved the issue when the made the silver hook that appeared in Razar but nope still breaks.

Yep I broke one just recently, I might have to grab a few zombie pirates, just for spares... (and to eventually make a zombie pirate ship)

I think the Battle Goddess skirt is awesome because it makes use of the split issue and she has fantastic golden knickers :-)

I think this is the best one as well. Interestingly, it's the first one I got and I was surprised later at how difficult the others are.

Could not agree more on the skirts - that is one pain in the ... to get them on and not looking stupid. Really, they should not have started it OR should have made them way longer to wrap them around at least 1 1/2 time.

I think that sword is fantastic... but only for some figures. On a goblin/orc/troll I think it works perfectly, as it's rough, unrefined, exactly the type of weapon made by someone who only cares about MORE CHOP-CHOP. Put on other figures, though, it does look a little bit odd. The new zombie pirate, for example, really should have gotten a cutlass instead.

I didn't care for the shoulder and leg pieces on some of the Star Wars figures. They shoulder piece wasn't as bad, but the leg piece totally restricted mobility of the figure, and looked really bulky too.

sw196.jpg

The new jumper... thing from the Superheroes line is an odd one too. Does that count as a minifigure accessory? I'm sure kids get a kick out of it for a time, but I saw a couple people mention it was causing cracks in minifigure legs, so that seems like one to avoid at all costs.

As a minifig part I hate the "Dress" pieces 2x2x2 slope brick. its always falling off and is taller than normal legs, I would rather have a long loose skirt type piece to put over the legs than that bulky poor fitting "Dress" (side note: I actually like the skirt type pieces)

What JFox said - I don't know that it counts as an accessory, but those jumpy things are just ridiculous. I'd throw them away if I wasn't obsessive compulsive.

As a minifig part I hate the "Dress" pieces 2x2x2 slope brick. its always falling off and is taller than normal legs, I would rather have a long loose skirt type piece to put over the legs than that bulky poor fitting "Dress" (side note: I actually like the skirt type pieces)

There are a lot of really great printed slopes for dresses, robes, and so on, but I agree: the figure falls off the studs so easily that it's a bit of a pain. Not to mention there is limited mobility (i.e. none) with a slope, as opposed to legs. I don't know what I would do differently though, so maybe this is the best solution? I'm sure Lego has considered other options.

Along those same lines, I don't like the mini legs that much. Fantasy Era dwarves are some of my favorite figures, but every dwarf ends up in the same static pose. I wish Lego would make short legs that could move.

I despise the Super Jumper. It doesn't work how I think it should. The Minifigure should be launched from the Jumper not with the Jumper. The Brick Built Minifig Catapults work way better than those Super Jumpers ever will.

The new Super Jumper featured in new DC and Marvel Lego sets. Sure it has some function, but the part is badly designed because the minifigures leg can be easy damaged if you use the super jumper with your minifigures offen.