Congratulations! This is a really awesome model with nicely made instructions. I'm slowly getting enough parts together to build it.

Now that is RAT. In my opinion the size of the wheels is out of proportion, but as surviving machine in a post-apocalyptic world? Yes, please! :classic: :thumbup:

I guess a little higher top speed due to the bigger diameter (107 vs 94 mm), and a little less agile due to the additional weight.

9 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I agree, that looks awesome. Is there any difference in the performance?

It doesn't perform as well as it would with the other tires, but it is fine going down a small incline.

15 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

It doesn't perform as well as it would with the other tires, but it is fine going down a small incline.

Which other tires are you referring to?  The Volvo loader tires?

I wanted to build something quick and durable to enjoy the last beautiful days of autumn outside, so the obvious choice was this great car. 

Many thanks to @agrof for the opportunity to see his original buggy and for the help making this video.

A quick list of modifications:
- L motors replaced with buggy motors - slower output is geared down for optimal performance
- IR receivers replaced with SBricks (to be able to run on Lego battery boxes as well)
- seats removed to accommodate the BuWizz units for optimal weight balance
- front end reworked to be more stable (survive high speed crashes)
- fine details removed - the lights and other pieces added much to the look of the original version but I kept loosing them so decided to remove most of it.

Some additional images:
PANA4265_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4266_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4264_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4270_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4271_EB_ret.jpg

It was a honor to see this version in person, and I must say: the driving experience and speed difference was breath taking... and still is! I never thought that a LEGO built car can behave like that. *huh* It was so fun to drive this red devil around, do power slides, fly over the stairs... 

The overhaul of the design is well executed, we - exactly: my buggy - lost (found!) only 1 part during the filming session. :grin:

Great work @kbalage, and thanks for the opportunity!

What a great evolution of this already great car! Funny thing is that I just started building the original in LDD to learn about motorized building. This will make it even more valuable as study material. Thank you so much!

I have @agrof buggy built and after building the deadly nightshade by @Doc_Brown it was a massive difference in performance.  This mod by @kbalage dramatically improves the performance and would make it much more fun to drive around.  Amazing job incorporating the buggy motors into the design.  Any plans for instructions?

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like this mod :)

@agrof I'm glad you like the performance, we'll need to find an opportunity for you to try the other one as well, worth it ;)

@Didumos69 If you check the final scene, the car you see next to the red version is not the original one but another mod. It's a smaller scale version of the buggy, compare the wheels! Same motors, same power source, smaller size -> more fun :) I still have to put together the video of that car, I'll publish it next week.

@technic_addict I also wanted to build the Deadly Nightshade, I still need a working RC unit though... hopefully I'll get one and I can compare the performance then. About the instructions, I put this on my todo list for the winter when I won't have the possibility to go outside with the cars :)

Just now, kbalage said:

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like this mod :)

@agrof I'm glad you like the performance, we'll need to find an opportunity for you to try the other one as well, worth it ;)

@Didumos69 If you check the final scene, the car you see next to the red version is not the original one but another mod. It's a smaller scale version of the buggy, compare the wheels! Same motors, same power source, smaller size -> more fun :) I still have to put together the video of that car, I'll publish it next week.

@technic_addict I also wanted to build the Deadly Nightshade, I still need a working RC unit though... hopefully I'll get one and I can compare the performance then. About the instructions, I put this on my todo list for the winter when I won't have the possibility to go outside with the cars :)

I look forward to seeing the smaller ones performance and hopefully the instructions over the winter!

Great modification of already great buggy :classic::thumbup:. Original was inspiration for my own build, which is still incomplete, hopefully I'll finish it this year.

I also look forward to seeing smaller version.

9 hours ago, kbalage said:

Aha, I see. I'm looking forward to it!

@kbalage Btw, I would be very interested in knowing whether this would add to the performance of your steroids version? I know it runs much lighter for manual models.

Besides making the tire harder, this also gives the tire more grip on it's rim, which prevents the rim from slipping inside it's tire.

I know you have 4 of those motorcycle tires :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69 Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try! I'm not sure how it'll affect the car's performance as the heavier wheel might become slower but we'll see :)

Hi Guys! Baja 1000 starts today, so here's the new video :)

This is the "mini version" of @agrof's buggy, you can see the size difference on this photo:

PANA4281_EB_ret.jpg

The new version has smaller wheels, the body is 2 studs narrower and the overall length is proportionally shorter as well. Obviously some panels and structures had to be changed to match the new size. The track width did not change as I did not have the proper replacement parts for the steering, I’ll work on this later. The car feels quicker, although due to the smaller wheels some obstacles can be problematic. The color scheme is not the final one, I had to use what I found in my boxes :) I’ll work more on this car later as I really like the sturdiness and the performance. Some additional pictures:

PANA4285_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4288_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4294_EB_ret.jpg

PANA4297_EB_ret.jpg

Looks like its a blast to drive!  It looks faster to me, and I'm only going by memory but I think it may be faster than the deadly nightshade.

Count me in to build this when instructions / photo sequence are released!

Incredible performance from that little beast! :wub:  :thumbup:

Can we have a belly shot? And what were you planning to do with the steering? I have also tried to miniaturize it, but didn't have much luck. :sceptic:

Great little vehicle! And the video is excellent too.

I suppose you can narrow the front axles by two studs like this:

800x450.jpg

Woo-hoo, that little devil just bites the dust! Amazing performance, might be the softer shocks would fit better for the smaller scale.

I kindly ask You @kbalage to refer to this buggy as your own MOC, clearly not much left from my version. :tongue:

@Didumos69 That is actually brilliant, love it! :thumbup: I confess: as I built it, it was just pure luck that I ended up with (more-less) same wheelbase on the front and the rear.