Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

Unrest in the Forest, Day 2: Fly By Night

Yes, but I can't vote for myself can I?

Ofcourse you can, if you want to do it :facepalm:

It is always amusing when players vote for themselves.

The whole code system, as good as the idea would be, it won´t work and lauren brought forward pretty good reasons.

It so would become a scum trap if sent to a wrong person and then the thing as also Lauren pointed out, We stumps can´t talk with you others in PM and you can´t talk with us.

The only place we can share info is here.

So, we should each find one person we trust most and send them a codelist, correct?

This sounds complicated. If everyone picks one person and sends them a code list, then the maples will have code lists from oaks who mistakenly trust them.

If I understand correctly, each tree sends a different code list to each living tree. Then he uses the appropriate and specific code to claim to the stump (ex-living player), so that no one else but the stump can understand the meaning of the code. I think it can work.

In other words, there's a specific code between each pair of living players.

Nope, Nope, and then yes. Sammy understood. Each person sends a unique code to each other person. Yes, that's a ton of codes. Each of us would be generating 20+ lists and receiving 20+ lists. That's what excel (or google sheets, or whatever you appletree people use) is for. If I only sent a list to 1 person, then it's of zero use until that person is a stump. And if I sent the same list to everyone, then it's useless at keeping secrets. But with so many unique codesets, as soon as we have an oak stump, everyone can publicly say what they are using their unique code. That poor stump then has to compile it all, but it's there. And then each day, it could be repeated if needed (ie if the stumps only last 1 day) to keep the new group of stumps in the know.

And a stump could even coordinate night actions by saying "hey joe, you should visit sally, and rick should visit jane" and so forth, "assigning" a visit to everyone, so no one can tell who actually has abilities. Well, scratch that, it'd ID the vig pretty quick :)

Nope, Nope, and then yes. Sammy understood. Each person sends a unique code to each other person.

Aha! :sweet: Now I get it. Thank you.

Nope, Nope, and then yes. Sammy understood. Each person sends a unique code to each other person. Yes, that's a ton of codes. Each of us would be generating 20+ lists and receiving 20+ lists. That's what excel (or google sheets, or whatever you appletree people use) is for. If I only sent a list to 1 person, then it's of zero use until that person is a stump. And if I sent the same list to everyone, then it's useless at keeping secrets. But with so many unique codesets, as soon as we have an oak stump, everyone can publicly say what they are using their unique code. That poor stump then has to compile it all, but it's there. And then each day, it could be repeated if needed (ie if the stumps only last 1 day) to keep the new group of stumps in the know.

And a stump could even coordinate night actions by saying "hey joe, you should visit sally, and rick should visit jane" and so forth, "assigning" a visit to everyone, so no one can tell who actually has abilities. Well, scratch that, it'd ID the vig pretty quick :)

Everything should be tested which could help town but hopefuly it doesn´t fail.

But you have thought this through, haven´t you :wink:

Fair enough, I'll be home soon and off my mobile. Be watchin your inboxes!

And now we have Bobby adding his name to the bandwagon. His reasons are a combination of Hazel's (I am annoying to Hazel), and the rest he made up ( I don't see post quoted to support his claims). And Bobby, I highly doubt with all your participation you have given so far that you actually went back and reread much of my posts from Day 1 and Day 2.

Who's Bobby? My name is Sue. Perhaps you're thinking of famed Congressman Bobby Benedict, tragically impeached in an unfortunate set of circumstances. Contrary to your beliefs, I have been reading through the posts from Day One and Day Two, which is why yours have caught my eye. Like I said, you're known for your fluffy posts, but you usually end up posting fluff when you're trying to appear active when you're scum. Then she tries calling out my participation in an attempt to redirect suspicion onto me. That's another hallmark of a Catarina defense - redirection. You would like posted quotes to support my claims though? Very well. From Day One:

I Am Groot!

I Am Groot! :sweet:

Just a random comment to see if anyone would even notice. Would a random comment help Oaks find and root out (no pun intended) the Maples? Absolutely!

I wasn't sucking up. It really was funny, but you had to be there, which I was and so was the other tree......In another forest, in another tree life, with a different tree leader..... It was a nod to a tree not with us currently in this forest.

Three useless and fluffy posts before the twenty-four hour mark on Day One. I didn't quote all of them, because these are the most blatantly fluff ones that come about when were starting to moving into serious mode. Fluff posts are fine early on in Day One, but not all of Day One. Then, after being called out for it, Catarina comes back swinging, of course:

Well, good morning to all! And what a lovely sunny day it is. :classic:

What a way to wake up than to find out that some of the male trees stayed up till all hours of the night (those in different time zones excluded) talking tree trash about the only female tree amongst them. I'm a female tree, in case you hadn't noticed, with all your male banter going on, so of course I'm fluffy. Day one is supposed to be fun and fluffy! And I do sleep, at night time, which I did.

Now I will say that I find Waldorf Walnut and Bruce Spruce suspicious for what seems like trying to get rid of me. As they are the instigators of the tree trash talk about me.

"Woe as me, I'm the victim of trash talk!" Also, I italicized, bolded, and underlined some rather important things she's said. In regards to the first bolded statement, no, Day One is not supposed to be fun and fluffy. The first few hours or Day One are supposed to be "fun and fluffy" but the rest of Day One is supposed to be serious and important. It's about looking through suspicious or suspect behavior trying to find any slip ups or anything that doesn't sit well with other people. It's why we don't just pick a name out of a hat at the end of Day One and say "Sorry, looks like you're the one that's going to be lynched today." Your posts were all fluffy and useless up until that point even as we expanded out of the time for those types of posts. In regards to the second highlighted post, she basically calls out the people that called her out as suspicious. Like I said, classic Catarina. The redirection. "I'm not scummy! These guys are scummy for trying to accuse poor little me!"

The rest of your posts that day were basically trying to defend yourself since a lot of people viewed you as suspicious at that point.

Moving on to Day Two:

At least our fallen tree brethren can still speak in stump form. They can be of some help to us. Without the stump of Alister Pear how are we to analyze what he said yesterday?

Basically rehashing what had been said in a post right above, so not very useful.

So should we proceed assuming Alistair was a maple? I agree that it doesn't make sense to janitor as oak.

Again, rehashing what had been said above and simply agreeing with the consensus at that point does not make you look active.

I have never played with one so I don't know the advantages of the role. I do see the advantage of protecting a maple's alignment from being known to oaks though.

Again with the "I'm a confused newbie!" defense that's oh so common in all of Catarina's defenses.

So going with Alistair as a maple, we should see look back at yesterday to see who he aligned with and who he was against as well as the voting patterns.

Proposes a pretty good idea, but doesn't actually go through with the idea. When Simon confronts her about potentially providing this, she doesn't really respond, even after multiple pokes by him.

But why would you the vig do this? It would be a death sentence. So why would you bring it up, almost like you were suggesting it?

Sorry, why would the vig do this? I'm not suggesting that Hazel is the vig.

A bit of fishing it would seem, then trying to cover her tracks in what appears to be an addendum post.

The rest of her posts today have been either trying to defend herself from the numerous attacks she's been under because she's acting horrendously scummy, or just general posts of agreeing with what other people have said. Then there was the whole "low lighting" situation. She does know that there's a bold setting on the forums, right? It's even accessible on those new fandangled mobile devices. You can even just use the raw code for bold font if you're having that much trouble. It just seems like the worst excuse possible for a situation that itself wasn't that scummy. All she really had to say was "Sorry, I prefer using asterisks to highlight important parts of my posts" instead of "It looks fine to me on my lowly lite device!"

So, yeah, you're still scummy to me. The "woe as me, I'm just a newb!" act won't work on me like it has in the past. To metagame, this is your sixth Mafia Game here, you're not a newbie anymore.

Additionally, I'm going to do a big Mafia no-no and come out in some support for the newer players who are being called out for having trouble following along and catching up. There's a lot of "returning players" in this game...of life, particularly Simon, who hasn't been in one of these in quite some time and so he's been posting quite a lot (I think I saw someone count up to seventy today alone earlier). Most of these newbie players are used to game threads that aren't too long. I think the most pages in a day thread has been, on average, about five or six these last few games. Yesterday was seventeen pages and today is on track at breaking that. I'm aware that most of the older threads have been considerably longer, but for these newer players it might be a bit tough for them to sort through all of this.

With all that being said, it's also possible that some players are just being lazy or are indeed trying to hide under the radar and appear to not be suspect. That's why I'm not using that as a blanket excuse for all of them. If you're being lazy, then try not to be lazy! Make sure you check this thread every thirty minutes on the dot, too. Drink lots of coffee and stay up all seventy-two hours! There's a reason we have a forty-eight hour night slot. If you're pretending to have trouble because you're scum, well, you'll still be viewed as suspicious.

Wow, I've missed a lot!

When I brought up his claim he overlooked it in his reply to me. Seeing as his reason was to contact me early day one because we had gone to mafia school together, I used the opportunity to talk about Barry who also attended school with us. I mentioned I thought Barry was not playing his regular style because he accused me based on early fluff. Normally he is more thoughtful in his accusations. Berty disagrees with me and thinks Barry is genuinely oaky. We have differing opinions. What bothers me is how Berty translated that into who I'm accusing when I never actually said the words I accuse.

Early on Day 1 anyone would find that fishing for info. And you still didn't answer why you felt the need to give Hazel advice on shutting up about the vigilante.

I overlooked it because it was unimportant. I claimed miller, you said you believed the claim, end of. Simple as that.

You recently sent me a PM telling me specifically not to trust Hazel, Barry or Simon. All three had accused you earlier today. You're very scared of being lynched and are clutching at straws at this point, very unlike our last game together. I didn't "translate" anything. This is a complete misrep.

For these reasons, I will Vote: Catarina Dogwood (adventurer1).

Oh, and my comment about Hazel was simple advice. It's obvious to everyone that she's slipping into the hole she dug. I was just pointing that out.

Sorry I haven't been saying anything. This is mainly because I wasn't on a device powerful enough to post things properly, and because I wanted to see how things playedarrow-10x10.png out. And they certainly have.

Without a doubt, my vote for now is going to Catarina, the asterisk using Groot that lives in low-light, for obvious reasons. :classic:

Vote: Catarina Dogwood (adventurer1)

Do you know what the rule about editing is for?

I didn't realize Berty had only played one game before now, so I wasn't clear on the fact that he's a noob.

Sheep.

Chester, my post from yesterday is where I explained why. It also seems like Bobby is becoming more maple-y with his posts, so he is becoming one of my suspects.

Bobby posted once today- a fluff post with no substance. Is this why you think he is Maple?

There's a strange pattern developing here.

1) Miller (unverified) claiming to Simon (unverified).

2) Bomb (unverified) claiming to Simon (unverified).

3) Investigator (unverified) claiming to Simon (unverified) that Bruce is Oak.

So... I can understand a Miller asking for advice, as he was planning to claim publicly anyway. The bomb claim is more suspicious, because they shouldn't have claimed to an unconfirmed tree. The Investigator claim takes the cake. Now, it could explain why Simon started the day by accusing me twice. I accuse Bruce on Day One, Bruce flips Oak during the night, now Simon "naturally" thinks I must be scum. So we are all Oaks, and Maples are laughing their butts off watching us bicker among ourselves. But there are other possibilities. There are too many convenient claims. Every single one of the unverified claims could easily hide a Maple. I won't believe any of this until this dream team delivers a Maple lynch.

I assumed that the investigator claimed to Bruce, who told Simon that he had been cleared.

:laugh: I have a new title. :wub:

:grin: :grin:

Well, eventually enough trees will be cut down that the firehose of posts will slow and we'll both be able to catch up and not need to make excuses anymore because we'll be caught up.

That's rather callous...

Yes, I definitely said it was hard. :sarcasm_hmpf: I've had less time than I thought I would and reading through 7+ pages, trying to keep notes on everything, is time consuming. I have been trying to keep up as best as I can, although it isn't good enough.

I sympathise with you, being a fellow Brit on a forum with a different time scale.

Okay, after going through the full thread, Chester has been the one who has given me the strongest scum vibe.

:hmpf:

Completely ignoring the possibility that the vig didn't kill and there there is a serial killer.

You said that it would be too obvious, but clearly it wasn't (yes, hindsight is 20/20 but still). It created confusion and I would say this post is trying to either stir more confusion, or direct the discussion of it away.

I still consider myself to be a noob, as I've only played two games, and before today (in-game), I didn't even know Serial Killer was a role.

Saying "obvious reasons" when the reasons given have largely hinged around the asterisk use? Not giving anything substantial here really, at least other people actually said something more.

Vote: Chester Chestnut (Lego Spy)

I voted for her for two reasons. Fluffy posts, and the refusal to actually defend herself.

Sue suddenly is talkative!

So, yeah, you're still scummy to me. The "woe as me, I'm just a newb!" act won't work on me like it has in the past. To metagame, this is your sixth Mafia Game here, you're not a newbie anymore.

I commend you for your excellent Speedy impression. :laugh:

Additionally, I'm going to do a big Mafia no-no and come out in some support for the newer players who are being called out for having trouble following along and catching up. There's a lot of "returning players" in this game...of life, particularly Simon, who hasn't been in one of these in quite some time and so he's been posting quite a lot (I think I saw someone count up to seventy today alone earlier). Most of these newbie players are used to game threads that aren't too long. I think the most pages in a day thread has been, on average, about five or six these last few games. Yesterday was seventeen pages and today is on track at breaking that. I'm aware that most of the older threads have been considerably longer, but for these newer players it might be a bit tough for them to sort through all of this.

With all that being said, it's also possible that some players are just being lazy or are indeed trying to hide under the radar and appear to not be suspect. That's why I'm not using that as a blanket excuse for all of them. If you're being lazy, then try not to be lazy! Make sure you check this thread every thirty minutes on the dot, too. Drink lots of coffee and stay up all seventy-two hours! There's a reason we have a forty-eight hour night slot. If you're pretending to have trouble because you're scum, well, you'll still be viewed as suspicious.

Can you summarize any more possibilities for us?

You recently sent me a PM telling me specifically not to trust Hazel, Barry or Simon. All three had accused you earlier today. You're very scared of being lynched and are clutching at straws at this point, very unlike our last game together. I didn't "translate" anything. This is a complete misrep.

Oooh, intrigue. Why is that, Catarina? How did I end up such a highly esteemed list? :grin:

I sympathise with you, being a fellow Brit on a forum with a different time scale.

There are other active players posting from Europe...

As several people seem to be confused about this, I am Bobby Beech.

Ofcourse you can, if you want to do it :facepalm:

It is always amusing when players vote for themselves.

Really? Isn't that a violation of something? Because I think there's a rule about not trying to commit suicide somewhere...

Really? Isn't that a violation of something? Because I think there's a rule about not trying to commit suicide somewhere...

Suicide is sometimes allowed in these games, it's just very very rare. I remember in the first Eurobricks Mafia game that TheBrickster kept trying to kill himself and was thwarted each time by TPRU. And in Mystery Castle, the town were actually one step closer to being victorious because one player stabbed himself with a sword in ultimate RP and it was counted as a legitimate action.

But these are very early games (the first and third respectively), and to my knowledge it hasn't been done since.

Can you summarize any more possibilities for us?

I sense sarcasm here. I was merely suggesting a reason why only the newer players were having difficulty following along.

I've voted for myself on more than one occasion (at least once, I'm certain).

I sense sarcasm here. I was merely suggesting a reason why only the newer players were having difficulty following along.

But they might also be Scum flying under the radar. It just seemed like a bunch of filler to defend all noobs and then remind us that they might also be Scum flying under the radar. :wacko: That is what we're trying to discern by poking them...

Who's Bobby? My name is Sue. Perhaps you're thinking of famed Congressman Bobby Benedict, tragically impeached in an unfortunate set of circumstances. Contrary to your beliefs, I have been reading through the posts from Day One and Day Two, which is why yours have caught my eye. Like I said, you're known for your fluffy posts, but you usually end up posting fluff when you're trying to appear active when you're scum. Then she tries calling out my participation in an attempt to redirect suspicion onto me. That's another hallmark of a Catarina defense - redirection. You would like posted quotes to support my claims though? Very well. From Day One:

Three useless and fluffy posts before the twenty-four hour mark on Day One. I didn't quote all of them, because these are the most blatantly fluff ones that come about when were starting to moving into serious mode. Fluff posts are fine early on in Day One, but not all of Day One. Then, after being called out for it, Catarina comes back swinging, of course:

"Woe as me, I'm the victim of trash talk!" Also, I italicized, bolded, and underlined some rather important things she's said. In regards to the first bolded statement, no, Day One is not supposed to be fun and fluffy. The first few hours or Day One are supposed to be "fun and fluffy" but the rest of Day One is supposed to be serious and important. It's about looking through suspicious or suspect behavior trying to find any slip ups or anything that doesn't sit well with other people. It's why we don't just pick a name out of a hat at the end of Day One and say "Sorry, looks like you're the one that's going to be lynched today." Your posts were all fluffy and useless up until that point even as we expanded out of the time for those types of posts. In regards to the second highlighted post, she basically calls out the people that called her out as suspicious. Like I said, classic Catarina. The redirection. "I'm not scummy! These guys are scummy for trying to accuse poor little me!"

The rest of your posts that day were basically trying to defend yourself since a lot of people viewed you as suspicious at that point.

Moving on to Day Two:

Basically rehashing what had been said in a post right above, so not very useful.

Again, rehashing what had been said above and simply agreeing with the consensus at that point does not make you look active.

Again with the "I'm a confused newbie!" defense that's oh so common in all of Catarina's defenses.

Proposes a pretty good idea, but doesn't actually go through with the idea. When Simon confronts her about potentially providing this, she doesn't really respond, even after multiple pokes by him.

A bit of fishing it would seem, then trying to cover her tracks in what appears to be an addendum post.

The rest of her posts today have been either trying to defend herself from the numerous attacks she's been under because she's acting horrendously scummy, or just general posts of agreeing with what other people have said. Then there was the whole "low lighting" situation. She does know that there's a bold setting on the forums, right? It's even accessible on those new fandangled mobile devices. You can even just use the raw code for bold font if you're having that much trouble. It just seems like the worst excuse possible for a situation that itself wasn't that scummy. All she really had to say was "Sorry, I prefer using asterisks to highlight important parts of my posts" instead of "It looks fine to me on my lowly lite device!"

Bobby Beech (Lord Duvors), is the Bobby I was referring to. But you knew that, didn't you? So you find some post to support your reasons to vote for me, good for you. But you miss the reference I made to you? Bad on you. This is about the only useful thing you have contributed the whole game!

You miss represented me in several places, but that is normal coming from you. I never meant to bold what I was saying, just highlight it my way, which in the end was to use asterisk.

I use low light, I chose the asterisk because it looked good to me, because it was my post! Deal with it. I am innocent, but if your going to lynch me than find a real reason. I have contributed a lot more than others here have. I made good and bad posts, just like everyone else here.

I never played the newbie card, or the woe is me either! And if I seem defensive, well , I really an now so that should give you some thought as to the made up 'oh she is so defensive' claim from others.

And it was my impression that this was supposed to be fun. Fun on Day 1, down to business on Day 2!

I see a lot of effort to lynch me, and to devise some code to talk to the stumps for info, and not a lot of maple finding going on here. Too much time has been wasted in this Day and the only lynch target is me? Doesn't any one else find this odd? What will you talk about on Day 3?

There are other active players posting from Europe...

Yes, but the UK and Europe have different timezones as it is, and I in particular have a busy schedule. It's 9.15 pm here...

Thank you for being impatient when I didn't even have a chance to respond due to not being on the internet when you asked the question you are referring to.

Well I just didn't have anything else to add at the time, I ought to have kept my mouth shut, but quite frankly I have trouble doing that. As for the prior day, I'm just very bad at being helpful.

And who gets to have all these codes? You Mr. Unconfirmed Aggressive-Defensive Accusatory Trying Far Harder Than Anyone Else To Appear Helpful Tree?

In public presumably.

And the fact that Simon could just be making up nonexistent claims that where never made is a possibility, although an unlikely one.

You took my query out of context. I wanted to reaffirm that I was still suspicious despite having cast my vote already. This comment embodies about youwhat bothers me. You really try to portray yourself as a newb (which you may be). You stress it far to much, and it certainly appears to be a utility for you to look active. It has became your go-to excuse.

It has come to my attention that a few players have been claiming Vanilla Townie to random, unconfirmed trees behind the scenes. I would like to remind these players that this sort of behaviour is unadvised and will only hurt yourself.

It has come to my attention that a few players have been claiming Vanilla Townie to random, unconfirmed trees behind the scenes. I would like to remind these players that this sort of behaviour is unadvised and will only hurt yourself.

That makes me wonder which one(s) could be lying... :look:

Voting Update:

Catarina Dogwood (adventurer1) - 10 (jamesn, Hinckley, JackJonespaw, jluck, Scaevola, Lego Spy, Bob, Lord Duvors, Goliath, Dragonfire)

Chester Chestnut - 3 (StickFig, Zepher, Calanon)

Nash Ash (Zepher) - 1 (TinyPiesRUs)

Maggie Magnolia (Calanon) - 1 (Scubacarrot)

There are 24 Hours left in Day 2. With 22 Players, it takes 12 votes to lynch.

Wow, I've missed a lot!

I overlooked it because it was unimportant. I claimed miller, you said you believed the claim, end of. Simple as that.

(snip)

Is this a badge of honor having made this list?

This really bothers me. There has been way too much claiming going on, and with only one semi-cleared player, I don't know everyone feels the need to share so desperately. Folks, we have a system in place to share roles through our codes, there'll be plenty of time to share in the near future.

I would like to remind these players that this sort of behaviour is unadvised and will only hurt yourself.

I'd say it hurts the Oaks as a whole more than the individual players. If Maples know who these people that claimed vanilla are, they know who not to kill at night. Don't do it.

I still consider myself to be a noob, as I've only played two games, and before today (in-game), I didn't even know Serial Killer was a role.

I'm pretty sure in the previous forests that we shared there was discussion of a serial killer. In fact, I am confident for at least one of them as I remember bringing it up. Maybe you missed it though.

I voted for her for two reasons. Fluffy posts, and the refusal to actually defend herself.

Fair enough then, I feel like she's an oak that hasn't been playing well though.

Ok, just sent everyone a PM with unique codes. You should all have one, but if you didn't receive it, shoot me a PM and I will get you one. If you got 2 (which is entirely possible...this was a logistical nightmare!) let me know, and I'll tell you which one to keep.

If I die, but remain a stump, I will share my code on the boards for one of you to decipher.

Bobby Beech (Lord Duvors), is the Bobby I was referring to. But you knew that, didn't you? So you find some post to support your reasons to vote for me, good for you. But you miss the reference I made to you? Bad on you. This is about the only useful thing you have contributed the whole game!

In that case you aren't paying any attention to me are you? I have posted far more than once today, including one asking you how you intend to prove your Oak claim, a question that remains unanswered.

Okay… I have a lot of reading to do! And I am afraid I might not be able to catch this up before the end of the day. All I know is that I am more than willing to hop on the Catarina bandwagon. As Sue Sumac explained so well Caterina is talking fluf, rehashing what others said and is playing the noobish victim. So I will Vote: Caterina Dogwood (adventurer1)

By doing this I acknowledge that I am a bandwagon hopper and I know I haven’t been contributing as much as I could but it is hard for me to catch up with the amount of posts that have been emitted in this game.

When you feel like a newcomer best thing to do is keep mafiascum.net close by so you can look everything you haven’t heard of before up.

No one has addressed my concern with this master plan. If the stumps are removed after one day, I assume they will not be allowed to communicate to anyone still actively involved in the game. This would include stumps. If this is true, the whole plan collapses...right???

According to rule 8b If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players (living or dead). Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on. This would mean that if a stump get removed that he is officially dead and won't be allowed to communicate about the game with players still in the game.