TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

We've already got a thread in the Action Themes subforum.

-Sci

I think Kez making this topic in the licensed forum is a better choice. I don't see a need for it in the action themes section. In the action themes section they call it "New spook theme 2015" Here it's called "Scooby Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion" So let's leave it here and forget about the one in the action themes.

I'm not really surprised the theme turned out to be Scoopy-Doo, but I'm still a bit dissapointed that it's not a direct continuation of Monster Fighters. There was still a good amount of monsters that could have been made.

From the list though, I think I'd only be interested in the Mystery Machine, since it's the most iconic "non-person." I kinda feel though that this theme won't have much legs for expansion after the van--I don't feel there's really that many costumed monsters or locations that are famous enough to warrant sets. I don't think I know a name of any of the villains, and there's really only two or so that I do recognize as classic Scooby-Doo foes by apperance.

Still, I am excited for the figures of the gang--I've been dying to make Scooby-Doo & Batman team up MOCs lately. I even started looking into making purist "Scooby-Doo" figures (more so humorous knockoffs without the name, but we all know who they are!) to use instead; but I guess I'll have wait it out now!

Is this true??? Yes!!! Scooby will probably be a new mold similar to how Gollum was done, but probably with more flexibility. AHHH SO EXCITED!!! :wub:

Mystery Plane Adventures (75901) Could be the Black Knight, as he was chased by a plane in the first episode (It's how he was caught as I recall). Or the Space Kook as that mystery took place at an abandoned airfield.

The Mystery Machine (75902) The Creeper and Mr. Hyde are both known for sneaking into the mystery machine to scare the gang.

Haunted Lighthouse (75903) Could be red beard or captain cutler as both mysteries took place in water (Though I don't recall specifically if there was a lighthouse involved).

Mystery Mansion (75904) Frankenstein, Wolfman, the headless specter a number of others.

The Black Knight didn't have anything to do with a plane. He was in a wooden crate being carried to a museum in a truck when the Mystery Gang first found the truck crashed on the side of the road. I don't really recall any plane episode except for the skeleton men which was in season 3.

As for the lighthouse, it'll most definitely be Captain Cutler. His creepy old witch wife lived in their lighthouse that Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby visited during the episode. It might come with a boat too considering the actual confrontation took place in a ship graveyard.

The Mansion could be based on the episode with these pretty iconic guys that takes place in a "supposedly haunted mansion":

Phantom_Shadow.jpg

Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein are possibilities but that episode was in a castle rather than a mansion. Headless Specter really isn't that interesting or iconic to put into a set, but you never know. I wonder how they'd pull off the headless effect.

I'm not really surprised the theme turned out to be Scoopy-Doo, but I'm still a bit dissapointed that it's not a direct continuation of Monster Fighters. There was still a good amount of monsters that could have been made.

Monster Fighters did pretty bad though from what I remember...Scooby doo will make a lot more money. Kinda how they're doing Jurassic World instead of another failed Dino line.

Edited by Ultron

Wow... ANOTHER licensed theme... Thank you TLG!

Another way to waist money in official registered product? Or just another way to save money for more attractive sets?

Hope someday they will find a way to transform even other themes in licensed theme, maybe next time Trains will become official Chuggington train theme?

I don't want Scooby Doo :cry_sad: I'd like the Ghostbusters line rumor to replace this one

1) They'd run out of stuff to make into sets really quick and the line would die

2) Scooby-doo appeals to kids and adults, Ghostbusters doesn't

3) Scooby-doo would make more money

Edited by Ultron

Wow... ANOTHER licensed theme... Thank you TLG!

Another way to waist money in official registered product? Or just another way to save money for more attractive sets?

Hope someday they will find a way to transform even other themes in licensed theme, maybe next time Trains will become official Chuggington train theme?

This is sarcasm...isn't it.

I agree with the hope that these aren't special molded heads. The Simpsons just don't feel "LEGO" to me (just personal opinion, I realize lots love the line!).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the monsters/villains of the sets.

As for the action themes suggestion, slightly off topic but something that has been bugging me:

Why is the organization of themes so non-intuitive on these forums? Often times it seems people go out of their way to miscategorize themes.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head:

LoTR/Hobbit = Licensed (but it's in Historic)

Minecraft = Licensed (but it's in "Special" themes).

Scooby Doo = Licensed (but some people want it in "action" theme).

Oooh very curious how these will turn out. When do we see pictures?

There will most likely be a dude with a pumpkin head (the one leaked on a chinese site).

Good news!

Those set names are all really promising. When we get pics in some months I really hope the Mystery Machine and the Lighthouse will turn out great!

Oooh very curious how these will turn out. When do we see pictures?

There will most likely be a dude with a pumpkin head (the one leaked on a chinese site).

Good news!

I'd say the London and (most likely) the NY Toy Fair

It looks like that could be part of the CMF after all as the next regular series is supposed to be Halloween themed. Which disappoints me some, as I'd really hoped it was for this theme. I still think it's unusual to see a piece for it almost a year early, but I don't see the pumpkin head fitting in with any of the sets names we've been given. So congrats to those who called it in the other thread.

Edited by strangely

If this is true, and if they do not take the Simpsons approach with designing the minifigs, then this will get my attention and it could be a very expensive summer. For Fred and the gang, regular minifigs should do just fine. I can see Scooby getting a special mold since there is nothing in Lego that even remotely resembles him. I just hope the actual builds are not too much like the Junior theme. I expect a lot of play functions like Fred's traps, secret doors, clues, etc.

If done right, this will be great. And yes, Mystery Machine would be a day 1 purchase. Of course, I fully expect Lego to spread out the crew into multiple sets where you have to buy a majority of them all to get the big five. So you know the Mystery Machine will not have Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby all in it together.

I'd say the London and (most likely) the NY Toy Fair

Hopefully not London since they do not allow any photos.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

Lol, yes it does. You are just making assumptions.

He's sort of wrong, but sort of not. Like BTTF Ghostbusters does have appeal to both audiences, it's certainly been merchandised for both audiences over the decades. I think the real problem is that today's kids aren't overly familiar with it. Perhaps when the next movie comes out it will help build a bigger child audience to match the adult following it already has. But for now it's audience is pretty limited. Most kids are probably familiar with the theme song, but their knowledge of it probably isn't much beyond that.

Scooby Doo on the other hand consistently has new shows and movies and merchandise being released constantly. So it's a safe bet that kids are familiar with it, plus it has a nostalgic following from adults.

Edited by strangely

Wow, this came really unexpected. Sounds more like April fools than something real to me, but as always we judge once we see them.

Color me somewhat disinterested. Even as a child growing up in the 70's heyday of Hanna Barbera I never liked Scooby Doo.

On the positive side, for those who were hoping for more Monster Fighters instead, there is also a report that the fall CMF line will be "Monsters" for Halloween. So we may see more classic Lego MF type monsters as well as goofy weird Scooby Doo old man Caruthers type monsters.

Lol, yes it does. You are just making assumptions.

Are you joking? The last Ghostbuster movie came out in 1989. Long before the kids collecting today were even born. So unless they've seen the movie, the theme isn't marketed at them. The rumored third film might change that, but as it stands it's really not for kids. The theme song is pretty popular and iconic so some kids might know it but I doubt that helps drive any sales of the set. Scooby-Doo however is a multi-generational theme. It has on-going shows, movies, and merchandise. Everyone knows Scooby-doo.

Color me somewhat disinterested. Even as a child growing up in the 70's heyday of Hanna Barbera I never liked Scooby Doo.

Blasphemy! :oh:

A halloween themed cmf?? Ow wow i like the sound of that!

Will they give us Scrappy Doo too?

I agree with the hope that these aren't special molded heads. The Simpsons just don't feel "LEGO" to me (just personal opinion, I realize lots love the line!).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the monsters/villains of the sets.

As for the action themes suggestion, slightly off topic but something that has been bugging me:

Why is the organization of themes so non-intuitive on these forums? Often times it seems people go out of their way to miscategorize themes.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head:

LoTR/Hobbit = Licensed (but it's in Historic)

Minecraft = Licensed (but it's in "Special" themes).

Scooby Doo = Licensed (but some people want it in "action" theme).

There was a discussion thread in Action Themes when it was thought to be a new LEGO original franchise/theme that was like Monster Fighters and would be replacing Chima as a theme with tv episodes to go alongside the sets. Now it has confirmed as a Scooby Doo theme the thread has been merged here (earlier posts, if you look, consider this early theory)

Minecraft started off as a LEGO Cuusoo (now LEGO Ideas) release. As all earlier sets from Cuusoo had a home in Special, so did Minecraft.

LotR and Hobbit were 'replacement' themes to LEGO in-house Castle/Fantasy Castle themes, there were little to none on shelves or upcoming so as not to compete for the market share LotR would entice.

So there we go.