Speaking of the Stone Protector's weapon/pepper grinder, on the Comic Con panel slide image that has all the weapons, it says that the staff head is colored yellow.

I just find it amusing (and kinda sad) at how much it's trying to be yellow when the Stone sets use lime green. Though I guess that piece could still be yellow and the bones are just lime?

(I should really get over this...)

Yeah.. I really don't get it. It looks yellow in the official renders and it's apparently supposed to represent sand (tan, yellow.. close enough. Lime, not so much).

Mind you, I'm happy we finally got transparent bones in a green shade (though I still hope we get for tr. bright green someday), but I really wanted to see a return of tr. yellow. And the biggest problem is, we got stuck once again with crappy lime eyes (yes, I know, tr. neon green eyes glow.. but I'm sick of them).

Yup, I've also built dummies of the Toa so that I can start planning out my mods. They aren't exact though, so I'm taking them as a grain of salt.
Well, mine are very very generic (showing him off for those who are curious how the dark tan looks):

tumblr_ndt3hdXF8i1r466wko1_400.png

The build is completely wrong, it's just a generic sandbox so I can try out different colour combinations. I was unsure about Pohatu, I wanted to try titanium metallic at first but that's Gali's territory (I wanted to avoid what happened with Hewkii and Nuparu in 2007...), so I decided to reduce silver as much as possible. I think this is what I'm going to go with, dark orange and dark tan look great together and the silver compliments them nicely as an additional layer of armour.

Kopaka looks great, he's easily my favorite! :thumbup: The armor on the back of his legs does look awkward when he is standing, but I really like the appearance it gives when his knees are bent (either for skiing or ducking behind his shield) so I might not even change them.

I'll comment on Lewa too now since I didn't do that before. I don't like him as much. The colors are fine and the proportions are fun, but otherwise, I'm still not a huge fan....

Kopaka's still my fave. Kinda disappointed about the shield connection (if that's correct), but not too bothered regardless.

The shield connection could be fixed without much difficulty just by using one of these.

Hey guys, do anyone know if the protectors also have a combiner model for them?

We don't know any of the combi models apart from the ones that involve putting the Protectors' weapons on the Toa. But that's not to say there won't be any. We'll just have to wait and see.

Kopaka looks good, but I'm slightly disappointed about the shoulder pads. because of how they're attatched, they seem to have to point backwards if you want them actually over the arms, as opposed to in front of them. Also not a fan of the gold, but at least it makes his golden kanohi fit in. But overall, set looks really solid.

Also, this:

Its not called gold, its bright metallic technic orange-yellow!

is this community in a nutshell XD.

Edited by Timeline15

Am I the only one who thinks Lewa's new mask looks more like a Pakari than a Miru?

it doesn't look like either to me, I'm not really a fan of it.

But I LOVE the new pakari. onua is my favorite Toa from the new wave.

To me that looks like Brick Yellow (regular tan). Dark Tan is Sand Yellow.

Indeed you're right, I'll blame that on my forgetfulness and on how inaccurate some colours are in LDD. I just tried out Sand Yellow and yeah, it does look more accurate (and I think I like it even more, a great contrast to the vibrant Dark Orange), but that Brick Yellow looks a bit too dark to me compared to IRL tan.

Onto Kopaka: another favourite of mine, like in 2001. Very powerful and imposing looking- arguably too bulky for how I see his character, but the set on its own is excellent. A great first impression, but there are a few things I don't like:

1)The legs, still too thick

2)The SP paws as shoulder pads: IMO they do not fit the aesthetic of the Toa. I would've liked something like Tahu's and Gali's design more.

3)The weapons:

a)the weapons themselves: yes, I get they wanted to give him something for the Adrenaline mode (honestly? Back in 2002 I played with the Nuva "vehicle modes" once or twice save for Tahu's sweet lavaboard..but that's beside the point), but Kopaka really needs an actual shield (I see the spear as less problematic, I guess it fits his knight image).

b)the colour of the weapons: something that drives me crazy: they're white like him, while the spear tip is silver. Not only it looks wrong (weapons being the same colour of the wielder is something I tolerate on the Mata only, because they're iconic in their simplicity, otherwise it makes no sense),it's a wasted recolour slot that could've been used for his torso.

Oh, and I like that in the Lewa review the two Toa of Jungle Air were best buddies, while the two Kopaka just.. coldly stare eachother.

Am I the only one who thinks Lewa's new mask looks more like a Pakari than a Miru?

Eh, the general shape..maybe..kinda. It still looks very much like a Miru to me (it still has the smile, its most iconic feature), just with 3 odd..things on it and some new texturing. I see it more as a fusion of the 01 Miru and the Calix (which prompted me to build some odd headcanon, but I digress).

a)the weapons themselves: yes, I get they wanted to give him something for the Adrenaline mode (honestly? Back in 2002 I played with the Nuva "vehicle modes" once or twice save for Tahu's sweet lavaboard..but that's beside the point), but Kopaka really needs an actual shield (I see the spear as less problematic, I guess it fits his knight image).

I don't exactly see what's wrong with his shield. It's definitely not a very traditional-looking shield, but I still feel like it is hard to mistake for anything other than a shield. If you want to make it even more realistically shield-like in shape, there's an easy solution — just assemble it the same way as Tahu's Lava Surfboard. This results in an ovoid shield rather than his traditional circular shield, but it's still pretty effective IMO. I suppose the main reason the designers didn't do this is to make Kopaka's shield and Tahu's lava surfboard feel less repetitive.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the shield being white either, since it is the only new tool in a character's primary color, but bear in mind that Kopaka's shield stayed white even after his Toa Nuva transformation, unlike all the other Toa Nuva's tools which became silver. So it's not like the Toa Mata were the ONLY Toa with colored tools — rather, Kopaka had one even in a series when silver tools were still a defining gimmick!

I definitely like the spear, since a spear and a shield feels every bit as natural as a sword and a shield, and yet this way his tools and Tahu's feel less redundant than if they had both been sword-wielders. In general, I think that the tool choices for the Toa are quite good, and I like that some of them use the same molds as one another. It forces the designers to both design the molds with more versatility to begin with and use them more creatively than if each tool mold had been custom-tailored for a particular use and a particular character.

rather, Kopaka had one even in a series when silver tools were still a defining gimmick!

Yeah but he also had silver blades / skis.

Hey guys, I know that this is kind of random, but what if Ekimu is TAKANUVA?!? They could have him be the brother of Makuta, and then there could still be a Great Spirit--Okoto--who is the "god" of the Protector people!!

Basically.....I based this on the fact that Ekimu rips off Makuta's mask, like Takanuva does in MOL. They also have a very similar color scheme........

Obviously, there is no evidence for this, but wouldn't it be cool?

Hey guys, I know that this is kind of random, but what if Ekimu is TAKANUVA?!? They could have him be the brother of Makuta, and then there could still be a Great Spirit--Okoto--who is the "god" of the Protector people!!

Basically.....I based this on the fact that Ekimu rips off Makuta's mask, like Takanuva does in MOL. They also have a very similar color scheme........

Obviously, there is no evidence for this, but wouldn't it be cool?

I don't recall Takanuva bashing Makuta over the head with a hammer in MOL... :P

In all seriousness, though, I'd prefer Ekimu and Takanuva to be separate characters. It's an interesting idea, but I feel Ekimu's already filling out the "Great Spirit" role for this story.

I don't want Ekimu to be Takanuva solely because I want an actual Takanuva set in the future. :laugh: I think Kopaka looks pretty dang good, and I'm glad to see every gearbox has slightly different workings, yet they all incorperate a friction mechanism. No floppy limbs!

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

Yeah but he also had silver blades / skis.

And now he also has a silver spear. My point is that colored tools weren't something that just disappeared as soon as silver became the standard, and that Kopaka's shield in particular is a tool that's basically always been white.

All this discussion of the shield and spear make me think of the heroes of the Classical age. Can Kopaka be voiced by Brad Pitt as Achilles?

There was some discussion about the some of the images being renders. I am certain that Gali, at least, is not a render. I was surprised a few days ago when I noticed on the white background image, a reflection of what was obviously a lighting set-up on Gali's left foot. That pearl dark gray is nicely reflective when polished for official photos.

All this discussion of the shield and spear make me think of the heroes of the Classical age. Can Kopaka be voiced by Brad Pitt as Achilles?

There was some discussion about the some of the images being renders. I am certain that Gali, at least, is not a render. I was surprised a few days ago when I noticed on the white background image, a reflection of what was obviously a lighting set-up on Gali's left foot. That pearl dark gray is nicely reflective when polished for official photos.

I don't see anything that's "unquestionably a lighting setup". The only reflections I see are reflections of other parts of the model, like how her left knee is reflected on her right foot. Anyway, that image is DEFINITELY a render, because the axles of her weapon are attached to her right hand at an impossible angle.

I know this isn't the place or the time to be asking for MOC advice, (though it deals with that 14k Mask contest) but what leg style is the most favored/unique: werewolf-esque/bird legs, or your basic Humanoid legs? And this is on a larger MOC.

Edited by MonkeyChud

I just watched TTV's review of Kopaka, and I think it really solidifies him as my favourite Toa of the bunch! I'm loving the whole paladin look he has going for him. The lower legs are a little awkward, but nothing I can't live with. Really looking forward to having him in hand.

I know this isn't the place or the time to be asking for MOC advice, (though it deals with that 14k Mask contest) but what leg style is the most favored/unique: werewolf-esque/bird legs, or your basic Humanoid legs? And this is on a larger MOC.

That depends on what look you're going for for your MOC. Personally, I prefer regular humanoid legs; but if you're going for a more bestial look, then by all means use the chicken legs.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Depends how large the MOC is. Anything bigger than, say, Witch Doctor type size would have to have regular humanoid legs. Digitigrade legs (i.e. ones with two bends in the leg compared to the singular one we have) are already hard to get balanced, and this problem only gets worse the larger and heaver the MOC is. Humanoid legs, when built out of Lego, are like strong thick tree trunks. You might even want to sacrifice the knee joints for further stability and strength if pure size/weight is your goal.