kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

The interesting thing about Leonard's hair is that TLG wanted to go with a different piece, but when they sent minifig designs to WB, they nixed it in favor of the one you see here. The nice thing is that Dark Brown is actually a new color for this piece.

I think we'll have to paint the lower part of wolowitz head for his turtleneck.

The interesting thing about Leonard's hair is that TLG wanted to go with a different piece, but when they sent minifig designs to WB, they nixed it in favor of the one you see here. The nice thing is that Dark Brown is actually a new color for this piece.

Oh? That's interesting, and a bit strange (about WB nixing the original part, not about this one being new in this color; that's merely interesting, not a bit strange). Where'd you learn this?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Is the reveal tonight? really interested in seeing it, i love this because my Lego Store always has overstockings of Idea's sets, i can still get the Mech!

That's really interesting, but a bit strange too that WB wanted another piece for Leonard. Luckily it's quite easy to replace Leonards hair with other existing pieces (which for instance wasn't possible with Bain from the Hobbit).

Edited by Balbo

Just curious where you got this information from.

From someone who would know these things, that's all I can really say. Anyway, the full set is now up on the Ideas blog!

Full set reveal:

1934514-o_19mt08fr43ad1v0u1knpi68bvqb-blog-huge.jpg

1934510-o_19mt08fr3kum155311opkgg1i0aa-blog-huge.jpg

Product description:

Indulge your inner genius and build this LEGO® version of Leonard and Sheldon's living room as seen in the hit American sitcom The Big Bang Theory! This set was created by two LEGO fan designers-Alatariel from Sweden and Glen Bricker from the USA-and selected by LEGO Ideas members. Featuring loads of authentic details to satisfy all The Big Bang Theory devotees and including minifigures of all seven main characters from the show, it's ideal for display or role-play fun. Includes 7 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Howard, Raj, Amy and Bernadette.

Bernadette's legs is exactly what Penny's needs...

Totally looking forward to getting this set, makes for a really nice display piece!

While it does look like they tried to cram a lot in... their apartment is actually crammed full of stuff, so I'm happy with this look.

Regarding the 'whiteboard'... I know the episode they are referring to with it when Leonard and Sheldon teamed up and lost against Amy and Penny for charades... but I wonder if those sketches actually have a hidden meaning/phrase/word behind them?

Not sure if I like it. It does have six minifigures, but I'm not impressed with the build, and I feel it could have used better memorabilia as opposed to the more generic stuffs they used. I do feel like it overpriced for the bricks, but again the figures are the best part. I'm not sure if I'll be picking this up---multiples of Sheldon's torso is really what I want.

In my opinion the set is great. It contains many little 'easter eggs' and the minifigures are great, too. Although some of the hair pieces aren't perfect, it's still a great set for a decent price :classic:

Not sure if I like it. It does have six minifigures

Seven, actually. That said, the build is relatively simple, but it's fairly true to both the original project and the actual show's set on which they're both based. And it does seem to have some nice decorative elements and such.

I'm torn. I have mixed feelings about the show, to the point where I can find it entertaining sometimes and yet still be unsure whether I want to actually own anything associated with it, and yet I do like the core characters and the cast who plays them. And I have to say I like this set, though I have to seriously consider whether I like it enough to spend $60 on it that I could instead spend on other LEGO sets. But I can't deny this set has real appeal.

The poster on the door and the fuses on the 1x1x5 column are stickers; I'm pretty sure the rest are printed elements.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

Insta buy right there, recognized the white board directly xD loved that episode

Love the white board.

But where are all the nerdy things on the shelves? The DC action figures that they have?

@Fuppylodders: Actually that whiteboard references the episode when he and Leonard get robbed. It is Penny who is guessing. The phrase is "Higgs Boson Particle."

On the shelf is Sheldon's Lego Death Star (left) and Leonard's Bottle City of Kandor (right).

Edited by gedren_y

I think it looks pretty nice. Maybe a bigger model would've been nice, especially if it included the kitchen, but it seems very easy to MOD. It also looks like Amy and Bernadette have the dual molded legs, which is really nice. :thumbup:

I like it a lot. Day one purchase. :p

Take away the minifigures and you have a poorly built living room with badly designed furniture. Looking only at the minifigures and you have 7 figures that only bear a passing resemblance to the characters from the show. I think it's a real pity Lego doesn't invest more into its own core themes (such as City) but as long as fanboys & girls continue to throw money at buying licensed sets (when really all they seem to want is the minifigs, particularly as the actual construction element of many licensed sets are pretty weak), Lego will continue to churn out more rubbish like this. Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot but it doesn't need to be represented in Lego. I worry about the future of my favourite hobby.

*sigh*

Take away the minifigures and you have a poorly built living room with badly designed furniture. Looking only at the minifigures and you have 7 figures that only bear a passing resemblance to the characters from the show. I think it's a real pity Lego doesn't invest more into its own core themes (such as City) but as long as fanboys & girls continue to throw money at buying licensed sets (when really all they seem to want is the minifigs, particularly as the actual construction element of many licensed sets are pretty weak), Lego will continue to churn out more rubbish like this. Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot but it doesn't need to be represented in Lego. I worry about the future of my favourite hobby.

*sigh*

It doesn't sound like you were going to buy it in the first place. If you don't like licensed themes, that's fine, but some of us do. And Star Wars has some of the best builds in Lego. Of course there's room for improvement, even among City.