gmshades

Models purchased that where built wrong

I thought I would start a funny topic.

Last week, I purchased the 8063 Tractor and trailer set off Ebay for parts. The previous owner had the differential backwards, so it did not drive the pto nor the engine. Good thing though, because the engine was built upside down! The pistons would have never moved anyway.

There have been a couple other times this has happened. Makes me think of how much we complain the instructions are too easy, yet there are people, who are not used to technic, that have a hard time.

I have had this a few times be fore and what was shocking is that theses sets where bought from adult collectors :classic:

The sets where 42009 Mobile Crane MK II so it is a bit complex and LEGO TECHNIC Motorized Excavator Set 8043.

The engine thing with pistons I don't know how you get that wrong

I have had this a few times be fore and what was shocking is that theses sets where bought from adult collectors :classic:

The sets where 42009 Mobile Crane MK II so it is a bit complex and LEGO TECHNIC Motorized Excavator Set 8043.

The engine thing with pistons I don't know how you get that wrong

You should consider that there are some adults who can't even understand the IKEA instructions. :classic:

When I got the unimog a couple of years ago I forgot to put one of the dbg drive ring gears in the middle. I finished the model and that little gear made the whole steering work. Now I pay attention

I was just going to raise this - along with my dislike of getting full assembled models through the mail (worst one was a 9395 in a large box with no other packing - it came with all sorts of bent and broken parts), it's nevertheless interesting to see how the last guy put it together. I've got quite a few basic technic models with steering based on axle/pin connectors that were all installed backwards, so the steering axle was fixed - ie nothing worked as advertised. It's also interesting to see whether people follow the instructions as far as which way around the wheels go on, which colours go where and where the most heavily thumbed pages of the instructions are.

You should consider that there are some adults who can't even understand the IKEA instructions. :classic:

That's just very sad... I mean how hard can It be, it's just a matter of common sense.

That's just very sad... I mean how hard can It be, it's just a matter of common sense.

Common sense is pretty uncommon...

In my experience, most non-technical people have trouble with the IKEA instructions. I know a lot of very smart, very educated people who just have no spatial or mechanical skills.

I know a lot of very smart, very educated people who just have no spatial or mechanical skills.

there should be a building/construction type product to help train these people.... oh wait... :D

In my experience, most non-technical people have trouble with the IKEA instructions. I know a lot of very smart, very educated people who just have no spatial or mechanical skills.

Case in point ... happened to the roommate of an old gf of mine ... many years ago. The roommate and mom bought a kitchen table from Ikea ... The instructions called for using a 'special' tool to tighten all the screws ... The two gals decided it was too difficult and opted to simply use a hammer to drive the screws in. Not only that, the biggest surprise (to them) was that the set came with many more nails (err screws) than needed.

Edited by DrJB

Of all the sets I've bought used, perhaps only 2 or 3 were delivered assembled. In every case, they were assembled wrong. I was also surprised at how easily people were able mess up instructions made for children.

On the other hand, by daughter was able to build Technic sets marked "Ages 12+" when she was 7 with no problem whatsoever. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate that something is a skill when it comes so naturally to you, and easy to forget that not everyone has that skill.

Lets not forget that everybody can make mistakes, and that mistakes are more likely to occur when we rush things and don't enjoy ourselves, a thing which adults tend to do far more often than children.

Lets not forget that everybody can make mistakes, and that mistakes are more likely to occur when we rush things and don't enjoy ourselves, a thing which adults tend to do far more often than children.

Good Point !

I haven't seen wrongly biuld sets yet, but I did pick up a used 8865 that had some kinda odd body work done, complete with a bunch of (now expensive) 12V light bricks. Great I thought, until I tried to take the lot apart ... it was glued! :devil: Luckily, it was only the odd bodywork, the 8865 chassis was just dandy

There's also a large Classic Space collection for sale here locally, completely glued together .. who the freakin <bad word> does that?

There's also a large Classic Space collection for sale here locally, completely glued together .. who the freakin <bad word> does that?

What sets are there, and how much? And is there any chance the owner would listen to reason and let them go below the normal resale value, since they're glued?

Of all the sets i bought already built, only 42009 had a wrong color beam am the front, in rest all were ok. But i found broken pieces in the models, that was a lot worse than the set beeing wrong build.

Lets not forget that everybody can make mistakes

True, even a professional like Sariel, as demonstrated by the backwards panels on the rear bumper in his 42030 review video :classic:

I often mistake 8t gears and 12t double bevel gears for each other, lucky for me it's rather easy to spot :sweet:

True, even a professional like Sariel, as demonstrated by the backwards panels on the rear bumper in his 42030 review video :classic:

I often mistake 8t gears and 12t double bevel gears for each other, lucky for me it's rather easy to spot :sweet:

I hadn't noticed this !! So he is human!! :laugh:

Often I invert the differential case! :blush:

I hadn't noticed this !! So he is human!! :laugh:

perhaps it's deliberate mis-direction :wink:

The only thing that I really had built wrong and only realized some time later myself was one friggin gear in an outrigger of 42009.

But, I got used copies of 8458 and 8466 last year. And 8458 had some bent liftarms in the wrong color. Nothing major though. It wasn't even visible on the model.

Might have been a ToysRUs display ... typically those are glued

That's what I call artistic 'styling' ...

Edited by DrJB

I once messed up the gearing on the 42009's outriggers and had to disassemble the whole thing to fix it. Not fun.

I once messed up the gearing on the 42009's outriggers and had to disassemble the whole thing to fix it. Not fun.

is the funny thing on lego not the building experience?

is the funny thing on lego not the building experience?

It is the building experience, except when the joy of anticipation of marveling at the finished model is destroyed because of one's own stupidity mistake. :classic:

Edited by erelender