Migalart

MOC - Mustafar

The idea of this construction came to my mind after my other build - The Inferno. I wanted to master " lava theme" and Mustafar was ideal scene for this.

Technical data:

width- 180 cm

deep-130cm

high-150cm

base 5x7 base plate

construction weight: 65 kg

number of parts - 60 000.

build time - 4 months

mustafars01.jpg

mustafars02.jpg

mustafars03.jpg

mustafars04.jpg

mustafars05.jpg

mustafars06.jpg

Photoshop in use...

Photo without any alteration:

mustafars07.jpg

Basic alteration:

mustafars08.jpg

Intense alteration, lights, etc:

mustafars09.jpg

The Mustafar movie:

Source material.

mustafars10.jpg

To see more of my works please visit:

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/migalart/

EDIT 04.10.2014

Behind the scenes

In short - zero magic, lot of fun. Nothing new for experienced builders

1) Idea

„Lava mastering”

2) Source files

Internet browning. Mustafar documentation was very weak. Just two 640-480 images.

1. Scale

It was difficult. One was sure- it can not be minifig. I decided that radiators will be the reference objects and all will be scaled to them. I have prepared few prototypes of radiators with different size. I used LDD but it has one weakness –gravitation not included.

bh01.jpg

1. Levitated radiators

The construction in the movie doesn’t include gravity to much, but I rally tried to bo close to the original project. I had to build 60 cm long arms with some heavy bricks at the top and it should not break without any external help.

The whole project was at stake on the condition that I will manage to do this. I made several prototypes. The arms are mounted base on lever rule. Their are double long base on the visible fragment. I choose detailed way to curie them that required buying 260 of his brick:

85970.jpg

It is not available in brown, so I had to look for proper paint.

1. Lego order

This is hard but I already made few big projects. Some parts was detailed counted. Others where ordered base only on mass – X kg of gray bricks,X kg of brown bricsk

30000 dots of yellow plates, any shape, as cheap as possible. 30000 dots of red plates, ETC.

I often buy modified brick which are cheaper, but building with them is more complex and difficult. I spend many hours on bricklink and prepare oreder in few shops to compare. The order have hundreds of positions if not thousand .

1. Scenography planning

I try to include two different work dimensions:

- building for photography

- building for expositions

In paradox – this two dimensions work often against each other.

It is easy to create nice object for photography with just few bricks. Big constructions are more difficult to be photographed.

From the very beginning of each project I have in mind the position of camera …

1. Modulars

This must be mobile construction which is the hardest point of all.

In the past I was dividing dioramas on eqal baseplate parts.

Now I try to divide the diorama on 5 types of modules:

- flat

bh02.jpg

- high

bh03.jpg

- complex

bh04.jpg

bh05.jpg

- speciall

bh06.jpg

- construction

I try to have most flat and high modules.

Dividing diorama in 3D is always very difficult for me and I spend many hours not building but just trying to find optimal way to do this.

8) Building

I build always directly from head. No big designs. The key is brick availability logistic and segregation. I organize my workspace to be able to build with 2 colors in the same time, and I have to get every shape of bricks in this two colors in few seconds. I build often with most cheap possible bricks. I use street base plates, etc.

All to minimalize the enormous costs.

bh05.jpg

9) Photo

I am not the expert in this but good photo is as important as the structure itself. I try to use good lighting and background.

10) At the end the photoshop and the worki is done.

Edited by Migalart

This is astoundingly realistic, Migalart! I thought the first image, at first glance, was a slightly pixelated source image. Then I looked again...

The lava technique is perfect! It looks very realistic with the variations of color to show hotter and cooler parts. The colors for lava, rock, and structure are all spot on!

The attention to detail on the structure extensions is great. The added effect of the blue heat-shielding makes the images really stand out.

The only way I could like this better is if it was minifigure-scale (pieces required times 10, build time times 10...), but that would be ridiculous!

Nice work!

Wow. That is awesome! The entire thing is so breath taking. The level of detail is grand and I love the edited photo's. I even thought at first glance the first pic came from the movies :laugh:

Fantastic build! The detail and the scale is astonishing! However, I wish there were a few more nonphotoshopped pictures of the build in regular lighting, especically close ups of the buildings and the of the rocks underneath, and a little of the lava, in order to be able to fully appreciate this build

Holy crap that's amazing! The lava especially is just perfect! I'd love to see more mocs from you. :moar:

Every once and again, there are those MOCs that define how you view a theme. This is one of those. I've never seen a Star Wars diorama like this. Sure, we have seen some huge things, but this is different. Just the dedication that every brick speaks of. The thought that someone put all of those bricks together. The realization that someone had to decide how to make that rockface look amazing, and that lava even more stunning. With all of the variety in shapes and colors, it still feels like one cohesive model, detailed and chaotic just like nature. And the layout maximizes the effect, with the sprawling lava plane, the steep face of rock, and the two merging together by means of islands in the lava and a lavafall in the rocks. It all feels so right. The artificial elements are great as well. The way those segmented parts come across is phenomenal. You captured the utilitarian and sophisticated look like no one else could have done it.

And then the presentation: glorious. You already have a great MOC, and then you take the trouble to present is as good as possible, going further than any one has ever gone before. Those really make for awesome posters, and they seal the incredible atmosphere of the creation. Some say you can do everything if you only have enough bricks, but here you show that it takes a whole lot of talent, dedication and creativity as well. I'm in total awe.

Keep making these incredible dioramas! Keep reinventing yourself! Never loose the joy and determination of building! And never cease to inspire us. Please.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Finally some questions: where do you keep finding the inspiration and reference pictures (sure, you showed us some, but how do you translate those into the bricks, in e.g. rock and lava textures) to build such MOCs? Where do you keep getting your drive to keep building on these exhausting projects? And this isn't just a backdrop for a mini Imperial Shuttle for the microfighter competition on LUGPol, is it?

Wowsers! This is massively awesome! I thought it was a superimposed pic at the start, but wowsers, speechless.

Incredible! I was another wondering how much of the build was real, or it were all LDD or something, until that no-Photoshop pic. Wow. :thumbup:

This was looking like a photoshoped version of the scene from the film at first, you know, with a Lego filter added. It's breathtaking, truly astounding :wub_drool:.

Outstanding work and great photos. Like others - I could not believe it all till the photo with I assume you in. Wow, you will not forget this moc, but neither will I and many others. Thank you for posting. Ben

OK, this is another register entirely *huh* I am just wondering how long did it take you to build this and how many bricks you think went in there?

Edit: Sorry, that's answered, no time to read apparently :hmpf_bad:

Well, respect to you, wonderful job!

Edited by Spyderlord

This is simply stunning. A diorama that will be remembered in the archives of the jedi order.