xwingyoda

Eiffel Tower (10181) Box Art

Ok guys, after all these discussions about why *yoda* is not posting the set and all the hilarious comments of this thread, I finally received that thing of beauty at lunch time *wub*

Before an in-depth review as always, I shall review the box 8-

That Eiffel Tower looks great.

Are there really elevators in it or did you make a joke some days before?

Are there really elevators in it or did you make a joke some days before?

Why would I joke about that ?

There are some red and yellow elevators but since they are microscale, they are hard to see on these pics. Also, if you look the close up pic of the base I posted there are some microscale shops as well ;-)

*yoda*

*Drools his tounge off*

Now as an opening pic of the Model lets have a few TIES Flying above it, yoda on top & his X wing landed on the bottom... *Dreams on...*

French trade fairs ON!

Looks nice, with some impressive Lego engineering. They certainly captured the tower's iconic design.

Overall though, I'm kinda lukewarm on it. It's ... bland. So you now have a big gray tower to set next to your big gray ball (Death Star II), next to your big gray wedge (Star Destroyer). I really love that Lego is getting into this market of selling impressive, detailed models. I just wish they'd pick stuff with more color and more visual interest.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures Yoda (along with all the other pictures and reviews this week). You must be broke by now!

-Joebot

When yoda posted it *Quote from Salmon of Doubt* This is a very douglassy moment for me, these usually include *Changed to my bersion here*

- Lego

- Macintosh

- Rare sets

- Yoda

Like today, I go on EB, I find yoda finally got it, I would usually send an e mail to Douglas and get a reply within 30 minutes , which he always typed on his mac. Then after reading it I would run round the room with a few minifigs gigling at the halairous reply doulas sent me *End modified Quote*

Simply meaning - I will offer you large amounts of lead based paint chips for you to work faster..

Darth Eiffel ON!

Thanks for the pictures *yoda* , this is an impressive set.

As impressive as it is there are still some things I don't understand about this set: It looks like it could have been designed in the early nineties, Lego uses almost no new techniques/pieces, making it look kind of blocky.

I assumed, when I read about this set, that Lego would use some new pieces to make it a smooth design. It is a good parts set though, lots of basic bricks and plates.

So you now have a big gray tower to set next to your big gray ball (Death Star II), next to your big gray wedge (Star Destroyer). I really love that Lego is getting into this market of selling impressive, detailed models. I just wish they'd pick stuff with more color and more visual interest.

That is the other thing I don't understand: why isn't the model brown? The real tower is....?

Let's wait for the picturereview.

Looks nice, with some impressive Lego engineering. They certainly captured the tower's iconic design.

Overall though, I'm kinda lukewarm on it. It's ... bland. So you now have a big gray tower to set next to your big gray ball (Death Star II), next to your big gray wedge (Star Destroyer). I really love that Lego is getting into this market of selling impressive, detailed models. I just wish they'd pick stuff with more color and more visual interest.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures Yoda (along with all the other pictures and reviews this week). You must be broke by now!

You have no idea :-D |-/

I certainly understand the criticism about the set. However, the real Grande Dame is one single colour and I would have totally dislike it if Lego used different tones. Also the fact that Lego uses classic parts to achieve that fantastic rendering really makes me happy !!

The problem with Iconic monuments, is that they are mostly single coloured (apart that new London cucumber which is a modern day exception). If Lego was to released a Parthenon or Arc de Triomphe, you would still make the same criticisms ;-)

Now I hope that Lego will pursue on that way and give us some fantastic statues !!

*yoda*

Not bad, but not great either. I was hoping for somthing alittle less blocky. At least at the base feet. Oh well. Can't have everything i guess.

As impressive as it is there are still some things I don't understand about this set: It looks like it could have been designed in the early nineties, Lego uses almost no new techniques/pieces, making it look kind of blocky.

I assumed, when I read about this set, that Lego would use some new pieces to make it a smooth design. It is a good parts set though, lots of basic bricks and plates.

That is a reason why I love that set so much !! If you look at the Grande Dame closely, its not a smooth design with all those rivets and what have you !! Lets not forget that its more than a century old ;-)

I love the fact that the designers used classic bricks to have a perfect (or really near to perfect) 1889 construction feel !!

That is the other thing I don't understand: why isn't the model brown? The real tower is....?

I think that was a major subject of discussion among the designers and TLC. If you look at the tower from far away (I'm actually looking at it now), it looks grey. Since its a 1.08 meters tall set, I think it was intended to be looked from a distance - hence its grey colour.

To tell you the truth, there would be no perfect colour for that set.

*yoda*

You have no idea :-D |-/

I certainly understand the criticism about the set. However, the real Grande Dame is one single colour and I would have totally dislike it if Lego used different tones. Also the fact that Lego uses classic parts to achieve that fantastic rendering really makes me happy !!

The problem with Iconic monuments, is that they are mostly single coloured (apart that new London cucumber which is a modern day exception). If Lego was to released a Parthenon or Arc de Triomphe, you would still make the same criticisms ;-)

Now I hope that Lego will pursue on that way and give us some fantastic statues !!

*yoda*

I absolutely agree, I don't think Lego should have made it with differing colors or shades either. That would have been weird. And you're right that a Parthenon or Arc de Triomphe set would also be predominantly one color, but at least it would be a DIFFERENT color than grey (presumably white, right?).

I don't mean to sound overly critical. I really do like the set, and I'm thrilled to see Lego making stuff like this for the adult collector crowd. The Eiffel Tower was a good choice to render in Lego, because it's sorta blocky and chunky, and because it's instantly identifable.

It's just that when you place this set in context with the company's other current offerings, it makes for one big, bland greyness. When you flip through the next Lego shop and home catalog, you're going to see: the Eiffel Tower, the Death Star, the Star Destroyer, Vader's TIE, and the UCS AT-ST. All those sets are big, beautiful, detailed ... and GREY. Lots and lots and lots of grey. Maybe they should re-release the Statue of Liberty set, just to get some color in there!

I'd like to see somebody place the Death Star on top of the Eiffel Tower in order to make a giant golf ball and golf tee.

-Joebot

I'd like to see somebody place the Death Star on top of the Eiffel Tower in order to make a giant golf ball and golf tee.

That just hysterical X-D Could be a great commercial for Nike Golf by Lego :-D :-P

*yoda*

A bit too blocky, but I think a very impressive structure when built.

It will be up to us to colourize it with a truck and car or three at the base, some tourists in the tower, maybe add a small shop somewhere. I know it won't be in scale, but it will look very nice.

I fear the price though. Will wait to see what it will be in Canada - 400-500$ - which might make it not worthwhile considering I can do more with the Cafe Corner type of set.

Thanks for the info Yoda. I'm still amazed that the images of this were not leaked, and that hte first picture ever seen came from a set that you were able to buy retail. Lego has NEVER been able to keep things so secret before.

Looks much better than I had originally thought it would. I wish they had included a printed French flag, rather than a brick-built one. I might have to pick this one up. Definately would if I had any connection to France.

Steve

That beauty is better than I expected. A great brick deal. French connection on! *y*

That was well worth the wait :-P

Im glad to see it is built in a more traditional way it shows what can be done with a standard range of bricks.

I can't wait for the full review but with that many parts I guess it will take *yoda* a while to complete.

Is *yoda* trying to set some kind of review record!!! :-D

This is fantastic! I'm soooo happy for you, my friend X-D This is a beautiful set, and I'm surprised and glad that they stuck to the old bricks and old building methods! Maybe there is some hope for them afterall!

And now for my country's turn! Come on ITALY!

Hm... nice... lots of bricks for an oil rig...

Looks better than I thought with that little Technic that's used...

Maybe... maybe it'll find its way into my collection...

Thanks for the pics *sweet*