Sign in to follow this  
BEAVeR

[MOC] Micro B-wing & Y-wing

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Lately, there have been surfacing some great mini models here. Please take your time to accept my micro (not just mini!) models here as well.

Because finally, after half a year of sweating, I can proudly present these micro ships to you :sweet: . I've been wanting to make these guys ever since my A-wing, to expand my lines of micro SW ships. But it didn"t proove to be easy.

12190052456_e34e45eb0e_c.jpg

[MOC] micro B-wing & Y-wing by Bert.VR, on Flickr

I had already built a Y-wing with 5 pieces, but didn't consider that as what I really wanted :hmpf_bad: . So I sat down again to play with all kinds of pieces. The idea of using Technic axles for the columns was what sparked the Y-wing. It also offered a chance to use my favorite part, the wrench. It may look a bit skinny, but at least a sence of greebling is there. The hardest part was the head of the fighter. I really wanted that sloping form, and it had to be thicker than the body (that wonderful SNOT brick). I came up with the frogman's foot inserted in a claw piece. And tada, a 15 part Y-wing is born (16 parts if you would like to add a minifig hand on top to simulate a cannon)! In my opinion, it's much better than the version from the advent calendar... :grin:

12189430985_6552c4bccf.jpg

[MOC] micro B-wing & Y-wing by Bert.VR, on Flickr

A B-wing had never been featured in the advent calendar (the scale I aim for), and pretty soon I discovered why. To make it look good in this scale, it has to be as thin as a single plate, and studs would completely ruin the model :sceptic: . So I was left with all those specialty pieces. I scrolled through the whole part inventory of LDD multiple times, only to find nothing. The B-wing remained unbuilt for several months.

Do you know that feeling when after a very long time, you finally find what you are looking for? Well, imagine the feeling I experienced when, completely out of the blue, I stumbled across THE piece for my B-wing :cry_happy: .

Recognized it already? The piece that makes the central wing of the B-wing is...

... a wing of the Buzz Lightyear minifig! That really makes it a B(uzz)-Wing :tongue: .

It had everything (apart from not being produced in grey) to make my B-wing look good. Some claw pieces, and my favorite wrench part soon snapped into place. The wings were a bit tricky, but I'm satisfied with the minifig neck pieces. The hole in it can be assumed to be that logo on the wings. They're not foldable, but can be swapped out easily with normal 1x1 plates to go to landing mode.

The B-wing is my smallest model yet, with only 8 (!) pieces *huh* . I hope you can enjoy it nonetheless. It's not buildable in real life, unless you want to paint a Buzz wing. The Y-wing is buildable (hurray!), if you go with regular yellow instead of cool yellow, and pick the technic axles in dark grey. so in fact, you could put it next to my x-wing, or any other micro's you might have.

12190052736_6d4b5ecafc_c.jpg

[MOC] micro B-wing & Y-wing - exploded by Bert.VR, on Flickr

I hope you like it. Comments are always welcome, as well as suggestions for further micro's. Because Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you :yoda: ?

Very nice work, BEAVeR! :classic: How is the flipper held in place for the Y-wing's nose? I didn't remember that part being thick enough to be held by a clip like that.

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad you appreciate these tiny collections of parts.

Very nice work, BEAVeR! :classic: How is the flipper held in place for the Y-wing's nose? I didn't remember that part being thick enough to be held by a clip like that.

I'm not quite sure, because I don't have the claw piece to experiment with. I do have some ideas. You think the flipper isn't thick enough to fit into a claw. That's true, I suppose, but this particular piece has an even narrower slot within the claw, so that might fit. If it doesn't, I imagine cutting a tiny part of flex tubing, and inserting it between the claw and the flipper. I think that would resolve the problem.

Holy smokes - this is genius! I'd like to see all your microbuilds in one picture! :classic:

Request granted!

800x450.jpg

This picture was made solely for your viewing enjoyment :grin:

If you think that aren't a lot of micro models, you're right. But I have a few more ready and some in my head. The reason I don't publish the ones I've finished, is because I like to present them to you in pairs, as I've done previously. Otherwise, I feel really guilty for starting a topic about 15 pieces. Now I can give you 30 pieces at once. Still not much, but better.

The ones I've finished already are a snow speeder and a Slave I (with only 4 parts!!!), so know I want to make a decent AT-AT, MF, Bespin twin pod cloud car, TIE Fighter (although some kind of new piece has to arrive before I attempt to do one again)... Furthermore, I have a micro diorama coming up, so I'll keep expanding my collection!

I'm not quite sure, because I don't have the claw piece to experiment with. I do have some ideas. You think the flipper isn't thick enough to fit into a claw. That's true, I suppose, but this particular piece has an even narrower slot within the claw, so that might fit.

I'm pretty sure that the central rib/ridge of the flipper piece extends all the way down to the tip of the fin, so that won't work unless the flipper piece is offset or rotated slightly.

Nice additions Beaver. With the Flipper element and the claw, it may not look the best but can you fit two flippers together to get the claw to hold them both?

BTW for the life of me I have never seen the Buzz wing element before and was very interested for find out waht this peice this was. I love the B-wing, and that element was just right for it, I can imagin how you felt once you found it.

Thanks again for your words of appreciation

I like the B-wing as much as I don't like the Y-wing :grin:

And I like the first part of that comment as much as I don't like the second part of that comment... I think :wacko: . You're always so very clear. But thank you, I guess :grin:

I'm pretty sure that the central rib/ridge of the flipper piece extends all the way down to the tip of the fin, so that won't work unless the flipper piece is offset or rotated slightly.

I fear the same, so I think a little piece of flex tube with a slot in it (so it would look like a C from the side) would be the only option. It would be nice if someone could try those connections for real.

Nice additions Beaver. With the Flipper element and the claw, it may not look the best but can you fit two flippers together to get the claw to hold them both?

BTW for the life of me I have never seen the Buzz wing element before and was very interested for find out waht this peice this was. I love the B-wing, and that element was just right for it, I can imagin how you felt once you found it.

Thanks. Your suggestion might work, but than again, you would end up with those ridges and that stud visible. Moreover, I think the chance that it would begin rotating or so is great...

It's so frustrating I don't have that part! But I don't think any one has a better idea for the nose? (I tried ice lolly pops, but those aren't thick enough in my opinion... me and my standards...

And I like the first part of that comment as much as I don't like the second part of that comment... I think :wacko: . You're always so very clear. But thank you, I guess :grin:

I like to post constructive comments :grin:

The B-wing is really great, so nothing to say. Too bad the Buzz' wing doesn't come in grey :sceptic:

I don't like the proportions of the Y-wing, but with the parts available at this scale, it's still a nice job... Still I wouldn't have used the flipper part, it doesn't looks right, and it seems the connection is impossible.

Thanks everybody once again!

I like to post constructive comments :grin:

The B-wing is really great, so nothing to say. Too bad the Buzz' wing doesn't come in grey :sceptic:

I don't like the proportions of the Y-wing, but with the parts available at this scale, it's still a nice job... Still I wouldn't have used the flipper part, it doesn't looks right, and it seems the connection is impossible.

Actually, I made a little overlay of my version over the original vehicle, and it wasn't too far off. The body is a bit too thin (and so are the connecting pylons), but at this scale a small plate is still massive, so it's very hard to tweak your models.

Those are really interesting versions. You should put them for sale in bricklink :-)

Oooo... then I could become rich! :tongue: But only if all the parts would be available... currently, only the X- and Y-wing are buildable for real. That's the cost of building micro in LDD. Since I need very specific parts, they often aren't available in the colors I use. It's so sad :cry_sad: , now I'll never become rich. And then again, would people pay for a pack of 15 parts, while they could bricklink the pieces themselves? It isn't like without instructions, my models are impossible to figure out :tongue: .

Glad you like them though! If you should want to build them for yourself, of course you're free to do so, and I think I have enough pictures to figure out how everything's constructed.

Haha, these are adorable! You should definitely make more of these tiny little things.

Rest assured... more are coming... someday... probably you'll need a great deal of patience. I'm sorry :grin: