Cabby

Cement Mixer (7990) Pic Review

i think i'll go for this part in black, it's looks better than the old one...

Ha! Great, even better *sweet* now, where to get it, I only have the one I mentioned ;-)

So I wait for your modified verions Sne and Hobbes, that sounds good mods... :-)

Another nice set, LEGO is really surprising me this year!

I was slightly annoyed, this set popped up on S@H UK the same day my order for the garbage truck and service station shipped! I was considering phoning them up and asking them to add this to the order but it had already shipped. :-(

I'm gonna pop up to TRU sometime and see if they have this one.

Cheers for the review!

Great review and tks for taking the time to do do it :-D My Tower took too much time and I didn't take the time to do that one :-P

Its really a neat set hehe and it really goes well with the new garbage truck !!

My grip is always that darn CSS but oh well...

City On !!

*yoda*

Ha! Great, even better *sweet* now, where to get it, I only have the one I mentioned ;-)

well, this small creator set has four of them; it's about 10 euros and it's a fantastic parts pack 8-

I wonder if the cement mixer cyliinder can fit 2 x 2 cylinders in it.

I tried it just now.

Fits in, no problem. That would make quite big chunks of concrete spurting out, though. :-/

Also the spiral inside is intended for those round 1x plate, so i guess it's better to stick to those if you want a "working" mixer. ;-)

Thanks for the nice review!

God Bless,

Nathan

Great review, nice pics! Thanks! :-D *y*

Hmm, I wasn't sure if I was going to buy the set, but I really like the possibilities of the cement 'tank'! And many of the other parts sure would come in handy too. Great to see a touch of 'realism' in LEGO sets again, even if they are still a bit stuck on construction... ;-)

I picked this set up a few days ago, and I think it's a great looking model!

The thing that annoyed me was the first page of the instructions: Lego forbids us to spread out the pieces on a rug/carpet and to mix up the two sacks the pieces come in, why? Let me decide that for myself!

I like how they used the same colors in the finished model as in the old cementmixer from 1985, only the hose on the back doesn't make much sense to me.

6682-1.jpg

7990-1.jpg

I picked this set up a few days ago, and I think it's a great looking model!

The thing that annoyed me was the first page of the instructions: Lego forbids us to spread out the pieces on a rug/carpet and to mix up the two sacks the pieces come in, why? Let me decide that for myself!

I like how they used the same colors in the finished model as in the old cementmixer from 1985, only the hose on the back doesn't make much sense to me.

6682-1.jpg

7990-1.jpg

I still hoped for new white and blue little macaroni bricks :'-( :-D

just bought and build the set. i must say it looks better on photo than in reality.

1) it's just too long. sure you can design an 8 wheeled truck but if you also add the wheel arches, you need 4 studs for every wheel which is too much.

2) there's no chair. getting one inside is doable but only if you remove the floor

3) we've discussed the mirrors already. the problem you'll have is the black line between the window and the white roof, now there's a rail of 1x6, changing the mirrors to the roof means you'll have to change the rail to 1x4. sure, it's easy, but is it estheatic? don't think so

4) don't know why they've used a yellow slope and red technic bricks inside

5) the mechanism to keep the cylinder in this position is IMO too large; i understand why they designed it like this, but i don't like it

6) the back side is too simple really. basically, it's just the cylinder and the cement gun. this needs serious modding

7) inside the cabin there's a yellow steering wheel and another yellow lever. that's nice

8) i also like the grey cylinders behind the cabin. they're hiding the mechanism for a small part. that's cool

9) the cylinder doesn't look wide enough for a truck this large, but i guess it's still doable

10) inside the cylinder, there are these spirales as in a real truck... damn! that makes it more difficult to use it for something else

11) the plastic... hm... i have my doubts about the quality. the light grey doesn't look too solid. for instance, the corners don't look as grey as the sides. the white... hm... some parts look good others... the bley parts all have damaged corners; the white roof doesn't fit well onto the black plates; the printing on the 1x1 tiles is fading already!! the black hose is supposed to be attached to two blue technic parts, but that isn't working out very well. not enough friction between both parts

12) the instruction book has some major problems with colors. blue looks like dark blue

i couldn't resist and emmediately modified this set. actually, i had to change quite a lot: :-$

pict0021.jpg

got rid of the second wheel and the mechanism, added a seat, changed the mirrors,added the black pipe at the back, added a fuel tank next to the two yellow levers...

really, almost an entirely different thing, except for the cabin and the cylinder...

mixer2.jpg

i love those blue hoses :-$ i think they are from an arctic set, anyway, the first thing i thought of was adding those. i know, it's a cement mixer, they don't use hoses, but oh well, they looked so fine i just didn't have the heart to remove them.

pict0020.jpg

this is the other side;

ah yes the white doors... couldn't find them, i'll have to order some :-X

the bad thing is that these three wheels don't touch the ground. i had the same problem with the origina set as well. the plates are not all that straight, but seem too flexible, or maybe it's the cabin section that's just too heavy to keep a good balance between back and front.

*stares intently at the new round 'mixer' parts*

Looks like a self contained spacefighter engine module.

you wish! these parts have spirals inside! really not great! and no studs inside, only a hole for a technic axl

you wish! these parts have spirals inside! really not great! and no studs inside, only a hole for a technic axl

Well I was thinking, that the technic holes that hold each mixer half together, *Might* be used as an external connection point as well.

Depending on just how big the countersinking holes are, theres the possibility of using a triple pin, or a pin with axle converter, or maybe an axle with technic bushings...etc, to connect through the sides of the engine/mixer

(failing all those options, there always the lightsabe rod and longrod)

So there's possibly more options than the holes at each end. Maybe someone will be so kind to test this and let us know before we go and buy 3 or 4 of them...

...wait a sec, snefroe1 (you) have one!...

Edited by xenologer

Well I was thinking, that the technic holes that hold each mixer half together, *Might* be used as an external connection point as well.

Depending on just how big the countersinking holes are, theres the possibility of using a triple pin, or a pin with axle converter, or maybe an axle with technic bushings...etc, to connect through the sides of the engine/mixer

(failing all those options, there always the lightsabe rod and longrod)

So there's possibly more options than the holes at each end. Maybe someone will be so kind to test this and let us know before we go and buy 3 or 4 of them...

...wait a sec, snefroe1 (you) have one!...

sure you can use the technic holes to attach the cylinder, but for me the problem remains the same: the options inside the cylinder are limited. sure, it's obvious you can use this as engine exhaust, but i was kinda hoping for the cylinder to be completele empty... oh well, we'll see what people come up with

So, does that mean the recessed/countersunk holes from the outside of the mixer really are big enough to attach things? IE, can you put a 1*1 round brick into them and have it's stud click?

Yeah, thats true, using it as an engine only works once (or twice if its a 2 engined ship) before it gets boring.

If they had a less spiraled inside (and maybe a removable endpiece) I could almost see them used as MIR space station modules. Aside from that... mabye as a big cannon? Anyone making any Circus MOCs? I could see a minifig with a helmet and cape climbing into one of these...

Nice set. The truck looks quite realistic despite of some discrepancies in its design. I like that the cement tank has a working mechanism.

Those round blue parts can be used not only as engines but also as protruding hull segments. I think it will be possible to attach them on each side of a spacecraft to form a streamline-looking surface. And of course they have an opportunity to become missile stages or bodies of satellites. If I have this set I definitely find where to apply those pieces.

Edited by Devastator

I'm quite curious as to this assembly:

7990_8.jpg

Does it use new parts? What is the strange 1x1 like part? Or is the black just one pig piece?

I'm quite curious as to this assembly:

7990_8.jpg

Does it use new parts? What is the strange 1x1 like part? Or is the black just one pig piece?

It's no 1 x 1 part, it's just a big piece, yes. :-)

May I suggest that you also make a thread in the Hello! My name is..-forum? X-D

Can't be bothered to wade through four pages of replies, sorry.

Much like cafe corner, discussion on this set piqued my interest. Excellent review and like-looking set.

If I had the time, this is how I'd like my reviews to be.

Thank you very much Cabby for that review. I have had my eye on this set since I saw the photos in January. I *wub* the pic of the mixing container and spinning mechanism. I definitly want this set. I can hardly wait for this set to be available in the US. I give you two *y* up for your review. Model On.