Siegfried

REVIEW: The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builders Guide by Sariel

I've never really gotten into Technic, but I've recently been looking into building some Technic MOCs. Hopefully this book will help me along. Also, did you notice that every word in the phrase, "Technic for teh win" has a prime numbered amount of letters?

Thanks for the review.

It will surely help anyone decide if it is a buy or no to buy book.

Technic for teh win

Despite being an avid collector of Technic, I've always found the thought of creating a Technic MOC to be too intimidating and have never tried my hand at it. This book seems to be the ideal place to start getting familiar with the technical aspects of building with Technic and making the leap into MOCing. Great work Sariel (I’ve been following your progress on the book on Facebook and your website) and great review Sinner (it's always nice to have an honest opinion, as opposed to one that is only complimentary) – Technic for teh Win!

(Edit: adjusted font size. For some reason it was small).

Edited by phool

You forgot “Technic for teh win”. Maybe on purpose, but to remind just in case :)

Its probably because I don't need it and I would rather spend the money on parts. :blush:

just in case I do win Technic for teh win.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Technic for teh win! I've been looking for a book like this! It would fit nicely under a LEGO packed Christmas tree. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review Sinner. I've been eyeing off this book for some time hoping it would just appear in a local book shop so I could pick it up flick through the pages turn it over half a dozen times then decide if it's worth it. But with your review I think I might just have to order one online. Being only a new (but old) technic builder I think this book is just right for me. Technic for teh win.

Nice! I really enjoyed the previous books, so I'm willing to say "Technic for teh win" to try to get another one, even though I rarely build Technic.

Recently bought the Logging Truck as my first technic set and was amazed at the ingenious construction and functions. 8043 is sitting under my desk right now, patiently waiting for xmas. This book looks like just the thing for getting into some building. Technic for teh win!

I rarely finish my mocs, most of the time what I envision is so much better than the half done project I give up, or I get overwhelmed with work for a couple of months and start something new. Maybe someday when I have more time...

PS: Technic for teh win

Edited by S.I

First post on here, I have just got back into Technic after I saw 8070 while in the Downtown Disney store on holiday last month.

I promptly brought it when I got home and had loads of fun building it. I have also picked up 9393, 9396, 9398 and 8071 since, plus a few motors and recievers.

As I'd like to get into making MOCs, I have asked for this book for xmas!

Technic for teh win

I'm largely a non-technic builder, with a heavy focus on archeticture. As president of my LUG I always search for ways to do more with the resources I have, and this sounds like a valuable resource, so if today is a lucky day, I'd love to have a copy of that book sent to my home in Michigan, USA. "technic for teh win"

bought it

now awaiting the actual physical book. PDFs are great and all, but I like real books when building, standing next to my instruction booklets.

"Technic for teh win" may save me a whole load of shipping cost, I really like the idea of this book and will get one after Christmas I hope, thanks to all thoes that have the book for making the decision to get one an easy one.

"Technic for teh win" may save me a whole load of shipping cost, I really like the idea of this book and will get one after Christmas I hope, thanks to all thoes that have the book for making the decision to get one an easy one.

I see you are from the UK, I have ordered mine from amazon.co.uk with no shipping at all :classic: it hasn't arrived yet but that doesn't matter, as long as it's here before Christmas :sweet:

I see you are from the UK, I have ordered mine from amazon.co.uk with no shipping at all :classic: it hasn't arrived yet but that doesn't matter, as long as it's here before Christmas :sweet:

weirdly the same apply's in Scotland too. :classic:

weirdly the same apply's in Scotland too. :classic:

Except you have sheeplings rather than shipping ;)

Would this be a good book for somone like me who would like to start using technic to try building one of those awesome trucks I see people make on youtube? The trial trucks or cars of the like. Does it have a bunch of gear boxes? I've always wanted to try and even bought power functions long ago meaning to try.

I think this book is the best exactly for your purpose. It have basics but also advanced building techniques, with all needed explanations for builders. There are no plans to build from first brick to the final truck, but you can anyway find it on the net. But for MOC this is great resource.

On his Flickr photoset, Noriart posted 28 images of several more pages out of Sariel's The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builders Guide. (NOTE: I sure hope he got permission from the publisher and the author before doing this! )

8201572330_ec2dab68cc_c.jpg

Sinner, thanks for this well written review. I have been a long time fan of Technic and own most official sets since I picked up the 8480 in 2002. I'm always blown away by the MOCs created by Sariel and the other great builders here. I've never had much success creating any significant creations of my own. I think this book will be very helpful in my future attempts.

Technic for teh win

Despite being an avid collector of Technic, I've always found the thought of creating a Technic MOC to be too intimidating and have never tried my hand at it. This book seems to be the ideal place to start getting familiar with the technical aspects of building with Technic and making the leap into MOCing. Great work Sariel (I’ve been following your progress on the book on Facebook and your website) and great review Sinner (it's always nice to have an honest opinion, as opposed to one that is only complimentary) – Technic for teh Win!

(Edit: adjusted font size. For some reason it was small).

...and it's phool for teh win! Give me your address and it'll be on it's way!

On a side note, I took the book to a local AFOL meet today, and everyone was impressed, including non-Technic builders.