Anticyclone

Runaway Train Diorama

Well it's finally finished after three months of on and off work. For those who don't recognize this scene it's the climax to the runaway train sequence from the 1997 animated Don Bluth film, "Anastasia". The films villain, Rasputin sends his flying minions to sabotage the train Anastasia and her friends are traveling on bound for Paris and they're preparing to jump to safety.

This is the first landscape diorama I've built and so a few areas like the snow are very rough and not very smooth like I hoped it would turn out. The locomotive has an LED in the cab to light up as well. Flickr photo set here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjMQn3M4

10982269826_af5d8811f8_c.jpg

10982451523_4ca619b7bf_c.jpg

http://flic.kr/p/hJwN4X <Video

Cheers!

Edited by Anticyclone

I love the engine, I am not familiar with the scene as a whole beyond the details of it that were put up here a while ago, but it looks pretty good to me. Even the damaged carriage at the end looks good to me. Should it be at such a right angle though or should the train have smashed through it somehow?

It can be easily slightly modified for Back to future III scene. :D Just need figs from that set.

Really well done! Great looking rocks and snow and the engine. It all comes together very effectively!

This is brilliant. I don't know a lot about trains, but this definitely captured the title runaway train.

I love the rockwork/snow and I will look at it for inspiration for my Castle MOCs. I did a draft last night and completely spaced on picking up those white pieces for snow until almost all were gone.

Very nice. I like how you did the flames and smoke. I should dig up my VHS tape of that movie and rewatch the scene. :classic:

Very nice and detailed. Too bad I can only see those pictures. I'd really like to see this in real-life. Such an amazing model.

This is great!! I'm not familiar with the movie or scene but this is really good as a stand alone diorama!! The fire and smoke is my favourite part but the snow and sense of the carriage sliding down the track are done really well too!

Awesome work, happy building :laugh:

Indeed, great attention to detail, it looks fantastic. I would agree with Hrw-Amen, if only you could get the car at an angle (perhaps by snotting the snow ahead of it off of the car itself?), but that is a minor thing in a great scene. I particularly like the way you transition at the end of the diorama with the bridge literally fading away.

This is an amazing diorama! The fire and smoke is spot on. The use of aircraft doors on the engine is great parts usage (I may have to borrow that some day). There is too much that is good to mention it all! Those standard LEGO pines look a little out of place though :wink:

Anastasia was a good movie, but I haven't seen it in quite some time. This was one of the most exiting (best?) scenes! I may need to find a VHS player now...