kciR

MOC: Modular Record Store

Two of the best things in the world (for me) are Lego and music, I've visited many record stores in my live and love browsing through the racks and boxes.

So, that's why I decided to make a modular building of a record store. (It my first modular build btw, but that doesn't matter..)

I tried to give it a more modern feel than the usual classical façades on modular builds. As an architecture student I tried to search for something interesting within the façade.

I came up with a combination of vertical and horizontal lining. Which turned out pretty good in my opinion.

P1010035e.jpg

The front façade from birds view, where you can see the roof light.

P1010040e.jpg

A detail of the guitar on the front façade.

P1010076e.jpg

The most challenging part of this build where the cd-racks. There had to be some space between the records to create a realistic rack.

The key to the final rack was the headlight brick.

P1010068.jpg

The store has an entresol (like the pet shop) where the vinyl is located, the cd's and dvd's can be found on the ground floor.

P1010072e.jpg

P1010050e.jpg

P1010059e.jpg

The ground floor also has two places to preview the cd your interested in. Listen before you buy.

P1010052e.jpg

The back façade used to have three windows on the first level, but they are closed with wooden panels.

The shop assistant is taking a short break and checking his mail on his notebook.

The window on ground level had a small planter, but those guys don't like plants so they just put a gnome there.

(When I build this window, it looked for me like a microscale balcony)

P1010042e.jpg

At last the minifigures

Shop owner (M-tron fan) and 3 visitors

P1010065.jpg

Emo-hair dudes, I love the third lad. The most right is my sigfig, always included in my MOCs

P1010064.jpg

It was a fun build, now I'm going to store my bricks again, as summer is over. (I don't have place for bricks at my house(/room), so I can only build during holidays at my parents)

I'm most proud of the guitar, the record racks and the handrail of the stairs, they turned out pretty good.

Thanks for watching and reading.

Well done. The building has a very modern feel/look to it. The guitar is well done and blends in just enough to not take away from the overall look of the facade. I love the emo hair! :laugh:

Can we see a close up on that on the right wall of the shop? I saw something there.

I think that's the checkout

anyway, great job. Very impressive.

Very nice! I love the design, and the inclusion of the "Police" tile was a clever move(I'm assuming that was a purposeful nod to the the band :classic:).

What a great fun building - so original - Expecting to see Jack Black and John Cusack Minifig's hanging around inside.

This is amazing! I love that the guitar even has a whammy bar, and the worn-out sticker on one of the records makes it really look like a well-worn used album cover. :thumbup: :thumbup:

First, thanks to all the positive feedback and liking it!

Awesome job :thumbup:

Can we see a close up on that on the right wall of the shop? I saw something there.

What are you pointing at exactly? Will this do? Otherwise I take a new picture tomorrow (it's now to dark).

P1010055.jpg

Very nice! I love the design, and the inclusion of the "Police" tile was a clever move(I'm assuming that was a purposeful nod to the the band :classic:).

That was indeed done with purpose :wink:

This is amazing! I love that the guitar even has a whammy bar, and the worn-out sticker on one of the records makes it really look like a well-worn used album cover. :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's my favorite sticker ever. I just had to include it.

Edited by kciR

Really nice! I love the guitar, and the headset design is quite clever - as is the railing for the stairs. And I also had to smile at the 'POLICE' tile :)

Those 1x1 plates on the exterior side wall are going to be very much in the way if you were planning on including it in a modular street, though, but as it doesn't have any connection points either I guess that's not going to happen.

I was looking for a better view view of that sideways board on the wall.

thanks for the pic :sweet:

Edited by sputnik16

The guitar on the facade is real cool!

on the display rack on the left side of the store, how are the records/cds stacked?

This is a pretty clever build with a lot of little details! Your method for the CD racks worked out really well, and just the simple act of putting a black visor on a minifig's head to make headphones is genius. Personally, I think the guitar blends in with the building a little too well (maybe dark red or dark blue instead of black?) but the design of it is really great.

I really like this one. It's something that you don't see, at least I've never seen a MOC record store. Excellent job on the interior details and I really like the colors you chose for the exterior. Great job!!

Excellent work 'kciR', a fantastic modular building.....that's one huge range of vinyl and CD's.....in a few years the digital era might kill it off ! :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks to all again for the kind words. I really appreciate it :classic:

Those 1x1 plates on the exterior side wall are going to be very much in the way if you were planning on including it in a modular street, though, but as it doesn't have any connection points either I guess that's not going to happen.

I wasn't planning on making a modular street, so that's why I accepted those ends of headlight bricks. It can be easily changed though, if I'm planning to continue building modulars.

On the display rack on the left side of the store, how are the records/cds stacked?

I guess you mean the long cd rack (left and right can be interpreted differently). The one with the police tile is made with a brick with studs on four sides.

I made this LDD render for you to show how it works. As you can see on the left, every row is one component, which are put together to make one display.

I used four colors to make it more easy to understand: red - plate, grey - jumper, brown - tile, black - headlight brick.

rack.jpg

Personally, I think the guitar blends in with the building a little too well (maybe dark red or dark blue instead of black?) but the design of it is really great.

I made this guitar some time ago from bricks from 5984 - Lunar Limo, with the addition of two bricks. That's the reason for a black guitar. I don't have the sloped bricks in a different color, but I might order these bricks with the next BL order. It's worth to try.

Edited by kciR

I really love this building. It is great to see someone do a modern looking 'modular' building rather than one with classic architecture.

The whole package is so well thought out it is very impressive

D

This is a great store. Nice attention to all the details. And of course that guitar in the front...

But also a very nice facade. Really appropriate for a record store.

This is a very good-looking MOC! :thumbup:

All of the little details really add something to it.

Also, using the 2x2 printed tiles as vinyl cases was a stroke of genius. :wink:

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your feedback :classic:

Wonderful job, really! :thumbup: Love the record display cases, do you mind if I copy it for my Comic Store? :sweet:

Of course you can use this idea. If you got any questions please let me know and maybe you can improve it a bit more!

Also, using the 2x2 printed tiles as vinyl cases was a stroke of genius. :wink:

First I wanted to use the 2x2 tiles as cd-cases, but when I looked closely they had more the size of vinyl. Where the 1x1 tile has a better scale for cd-cases.